Away We Go

6.8

1. WinstonL
    Nov 12, 2009
    Krasinski and Rudolph are on my Oscar-watch.
  2. ChrisH
    Jun 5, 2009
    This movie was engaging from the get go. Just a small, well made, charming film filled with great performances.
  3. AllenSmithee
    Sep 30, 2009
    Like watching a feature length music video by a spoiled to hell trust fund kid with a British accent who somehow got the money to make his senior year film on the subject of becoming an adult. This only gets a 1 because the cinematography was so gorgeous. As cringeworthy as American Beauty's floating plastic bag "the most beautiful thing". Is this how the entitled see the world? No Like watching a feature length music video by a spoiled to hell trust fund kid with a British accent who somehow got the money to make his senior year film on the subject of becoming an adult. This only gets a 1 because the cinematography was so gorgeous. As cringeworthy as American Beauty's floating plastic bag "the most beautiful thing". Is this how the entitled see the world? No wonder we're so fucked. Expand
  4. RikF
    Feb 23, 2010
    Vacuous losers will love this film. The main couple combine all the characteristics of the most soulless acquaintances I have met in my life. Abysmal writing. Doesn't warrant me finishing my revi...
  5. L
    Jun 13, 2010
    This movie is underappreciated. A poignant story about the choices we all have to make about how and where you want to live your life. Loved the cast, score and gorgeous cinematography.
  6. ArthurF
    Oct 24, 2009
    Really wonderful touching sweet and profound.
  7. LE
    Oct 29, 2009
    Absolutely adorable movie! Even my husband referred to it as excellent. Definitely quirky comedy, filled with terrific acting and dialogue.
  8. MannyR.
    Oct 3, 2009
    I thought it was a terrific film. Negative reviews on the film as far as i can tell are usually from people who either felt insulted or who dont want to acknowledge how lost we all should and do feel sometimes. Krazinski and Rudolph give masterful performances. If you watch it with an open mind and heart you will truly enjoy.
  9. AlexS\
    Oct 6, 2009
    Cannot believe that there are so many negative reviews, because there is absolutely negative about this movie at all! I personally loved it. So kind, true and simply wonderful. Surely it is not a blockbuster, but a very intimate picture. And the ending is so magically beautiful.
  10. AlexP
    Oct 9, 2009
    Awful, the very first scene sets this movie up for what it is--a miserable waste of a good lead actor. Stick to being Jim on the Office, Johnny boy, your movie roles aren't up to snuff.
  11. PaulA
    Jun 22, 2009
    hilarious and touching. as the parent of two young kids, it seems like there are very few healthy examples of parenting which means you're on your own. This movie takes that idea to the extreme and gets big laughs from me.
  12. JonathanG
    Jun 28, 2009
    Precious, unfunny, smug -- the kind of "quirky" faux-indie that makes you hate indies. Booo!
  13. stana.
    Jun 30, 2009
    There was one kind of funny scene but that didnt make me not want my money back. I saw this 5 days ago and am still pissed off I wasted my time and money.
  14. carries
    Jun 6, 2009
    2 hours of sweet, true fun.
  15. YesWeCan
    Sep 18, 2009
    This movie loses points due to the self-aware, self-absorbed, indie-holier than thou mentality that seems to elevate the main characters beyond where they should have remained for the entire film - in the role of plausible, relatable people. Casting and performances were great. Direction was remarkable and dynamic. Writing was good. Episodic nature suited the film well. Funny and a few This movie loses points due to the self-aware, self-absorbed, indie-holier than thou mentality that seems to elevate the main characters beyond where they should have remained for the entire film - in the role of plausible, relatable people. Casting and performances were great. Direction was remarkable and dynamic. Writing was good. Episodic nature suited the film well. Funny and a few authentic moments. Expand
  16. PeteW
    Nov 4, 2009
    Too self-conscious, trendy, and whimsical for normal human beings, but hipsters will love it. Burt's relentless childishness grates after the first 20 minutes (John Krasinksi is really stretching himself by playing an affable, goofy insurance salesman instead of an affable, goofy paper salesman). Verona's inability to get over her parents' death ten years earlier rings Too self-conscious, trendy, and whimsical for normal human beings, but hipsters will love it. Burt's relentless childishness grates after the first 20 minutes (John Krasinksi is really stretching himself by playing an affable, goofy insurance salesman instead of an affable, goofy paper salesman). Verona's inability to get over her parents' death ten years earlier rings false. The supporting characters they visit are all either repulsive caricatures or broken flowers mewling for our sympathy. The obligatory acoustic guitar soundtrack feels like it could've been scored by a computer program. There is no overarching conflict; it's obvious from the start that Burt and Verona are perfect for each other and will probably be fine wherever they wind up (though the ending still manages to feel pat and unearned). A film like this should leave the viewer more inclined to overlook other people's quirks and see the human beings underneath, but Away We Go has nothing but contempt for anyone not as endlessly well-adjusted and mutually devoted as the protagonists. Expand
  17. AndrewE
    Dec 30, 2009
    Flat uninspired writing made worse by desperate acoustic soundtrack. Eggers makes an entire generation look even more repugnant than they already are. The movie also has an expiration date of mid-2008, pretending that a freelance medical illustrator and fake insurance salesman are economically stable. If real, this couple would currently be found in the aisles of their local food pantry. Flat uninspired writing made worse by desperate acoustic soundtrack. Eggers makes an entire generation look even more repugnant than they already are. The movie also has an expiration date of mid-2008, pretending that a freelance medical illustrator and fake insurance salesman are economically stable. If real, this couple would currently be found in the aisles of their local food pantry. Beyond a comeuppance for the Boomers, the recession is cosmic retribution for Gen Y's entitled, precious self-regard. But hey, that kid will get her Huck Finn-ey childhood fishing for her supper when there's no money! How authentic! Collapse
  18. BrianH
    Oct 30, 2009
    John Krazinski is great but every other aspect of this film underachieves. Could and should have been better.
  19. jazmina
    Oct 4, 2009
    We really enjoyed this movie. It's a bit slow to begin but you end up loving the journey. It's quirky for sure and has some very funny moments. Well worth 2 hours of your life.
  20. christianp
    Jun 14, 2009
    Thoroughly enjoyable.
  21. Jane
    Jun 22, 2009
    After seeing Land of the Lost the day before, (one of the worst movies I've ever seen), this one gave me hope for movies again. It was quirky and sweet with heart.
  22. MarcC
    Jul 2, 2009
    Krasinski and Rudolph are the heroes, and everything and everyone else is so tilted that is made clear. But with the exception of Maggie G and her family, all the other characters are not as one-dimensional as might appear on first viewing.
  23. JimH
    Oct 12, 2009
    I think the Salon article got it right: "An exploration of self-absorption that is itself too self-absorbed to be either entertaining or enlightening." This was like an indie movie paint by number, all the way down to "bizarre jobs for main characters" and "questionable wardrobe decisions" or "strangely depressing yet wildly unrealistic bit characters." The gothic strip tease scene might I think the Salon article got it right: "An exploration of self-absorption that is itself too self-absorbed to be either entertaining or enlightening." This was like an indie movie paint by number, all the way down to "bizarre jobs for main characters" and "questionable wardrobe decisions" or "strangely depressing yet wildly unrealistic bit characters." The gothic strip tease scene might have been the tipping point for me, if the first scenes hadn't already crushed my pre-film morale. Expand
  24. KiraL
    Jun 21, 2009
    You don't see these types of characters very often in film. Sam Mendes does a fine job with a perfectly cast ensemble.
  25. PatrickG
    Jun 25, 2009
    It's not great, but it's not bad. It's just good. Maya Rudolph does a fantastic job, while Jon Krasinski definitely doesn't disappoint. The vignettes with the other couples are funny (mostly because they're true) and sad (again, mostly because they're true). If you're a fan of somber comedies like Garden State or Last Kiss, then you'll enjoy this.
  26. RichR.
    Jun 28, 2009
    A truly nauseating waste of time. The characters are all jerks, esp the wife. People keep telling her she is beautiful, but there's no way. I left the theatre after an hour. Pure bilge.
  27. JustinC
    Jun 29, 2009
    Great movie!! Simple and full of heart. Great comedic moments intertwined with serious moments.
  28. JayH.
    Sep 23, 2009
    A wonderful film, with rich and well developed characters. It combines warmth and humor extremely well. Excellent writing and direction. The performances are fantastic, especially the two leads.
  29. TS
    Nov 14, 2009
    Insufferable. There is one genuinely funny scene. The rest is tiresomely self-conscious and inert. It never draws you in or makes you care about any of the characters because it is too busy reminding you how preciously, bittersweetly meaningful it all is. Aren't they adorably quirky, and aren't we oh-so-smart for recognizing it and seeing ourselves in them?
  30. Mar 27, 2011
    I really love this film. It manages to be really funny, really poignant and really sweet. I was completely in love with the two leads, who are both excellent and fit together perfectly. And what a delight to see some of my favourite actors pop up in the most wonderfully zany roles: Allison Janney as a wild and wildly inappropriate mother, Maggie Gyllenhaal as a nutso hippie, and theI really love this film. It manages to be really funny, really poignant and really sweet. I was completely in love with the two leads, who are both excellent and fit together perfectly. And what a delight to see some of my favourite actors pop up in the most wonderfully zany roles: Allison Janney as a wild and wildly inappropriate mother, Maggie Gyllenhaal as a nutso hippie, and the excellent Melanie Lynskey as an adoptive mother filled with a heartbreaking sorrow. This film took me by surprise. I think, ultimately, it's a tiny bit too shmaltzy by the end but mostly it's just wonderful. Expand
  31. Aug 9, 2011
    I don't know why I liked this movie so much. It was maybe a little self-important but I think that John Krasinski (who is hilarious on The Office) and Maya Rudolph took control of the movie with their performances
  32. Apr 19, 2012
    The film could be boring, but the attempt to make it funny makes it even worst. The opening scene makes you smile but the film doesn't go over that first scene, all the weirdos they meet throughout the film stop to be funny after 10 minutes. It's a film that wants to make people laugh and they try so hard that at the end everything is completely wrong. The good elements of the analysis ofThe film could be boring, but the attempt to make it funny makes it even worst. The opening scene makes you smile but the film doesn't go over that first scene, all the weirdos they meet throughout the film stop to be funny after 10 minutes. It's a film that wants to make people laugh and they try so hard that at the end everything is completely wrong. The good elements of the analysis of troubles brought by maternity are wasted in such a screwed contest. After 30 minutes you will start wondering why you are still watching such a film and it's really hard to make it to the end of it. Expand

1. Travel--finding the self by escaping the self--is central to the novels of Eggers and Vida, but Mendes knows where he's going before he gets there. And so the subject of Away We Go turns out to be not travel but child-rearing, which is at best well-meaning and anguished and at worst downright monstrous.
    Some of the episodes are ripely satirical, others almost heartbreaking. Allison Janney appears as a coarse drunk who taunts her kids; Maggie Gyllenhaal is a pushy New Age mom whose aggressive virtue saps the strength of everyone around her.
  3. Though it's nice to see Mendes take a looser, not quite so studied approach to his filmmaking, some stops along the way -- like a detour to visit Burt's suddenly single brother (Paul Schneider) -- feel dramatically off-course.