Paramount Vantage | Release Date: October 27, 2006
6.6
Generally favorable reviews based on 803 Ratings
Watch Now
alejandro970Feb 25, 2018
Shaterring "butterfly effect" drama. The analogy of a troubled world due the assorted languages works as well in the three stories tied by an absurd accident. Majestic job of Gustavo Santaolalla in the score.
tripp2themoviesJan 2, 2018
"Babel" is the type of movie that can fail after one small misstep. But director Alejandro G. Iñárritu is very careful to ensure that it doesn't. "Babel" might not be as strong as some of the other works by this director, (Amores Perros) but"Babel" is the type of movie that can fail after one small misstep. But director Alejandro G. Iñárritu is very careful to ensure that it doesn't. "Babel" might not be as strong as some of the other works by this director, (Amores Perros) but "Babel" still packs an emotional punch for anyone. There are four different stories taking place during this film, and you might not like all of them, but at least one of them will make you cry at some point. (In my case, two of them) Brad Pitt is absolutely spectacular in this movie, along with many child actors that surprised me with how good their performances were. Expand
MovieGuysMay 30, 2016
One of Inarritu's finest earlier works, Babel succeeds as a drama with a real human heart, and gets its message across easily. It requires patience to watch, but is a must-see for film buffs.
SpangleMay 7, 2016
A beautifully interwoven story of the human condition and dealing with loss that spans continents, Babel is a truly marvelous work from director Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu. The film crafts wonderfully deep characters who walk, talk, and actA beautifully interwoven story of the human condition and dealing with loss that spans continents, Babel is a truly marvelous work from director Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu. The film crafts wonderfully deep characters who walk, talk, and act like real human beings experiencing these events. Even better, it treats them all equally and never points fingers, instead making us feeling incredible amounts of sympathy even for those who made mistakes. The acting is superb and this compliment extends to the entire cast, not just Hollywood a-listers Brad Pitt and Cate Blanchett. The writing is fantastic and the film never drags, even in its slower parts. Additionally, the nonlinear storytelling is never a problem and the film lets you know when each piece is taking place with no confusion. Overall, Babel is a stirring and deeply touching examination of loss and humanity. Expand
LiteralYoyoJan 23, 2016
I think, and I am being completely serious here, that this might just be the worst movie I have ever seen. It's just so bloody boring and predictable and don't get me started on the bloody Japanese girl because Jesus Christ was that painfulI think, and I am being completely serious here, that this might just be the worst movie I have ever seen. It's just so bloody boring and predictable and don't get me started on the bloody Japanese girl because Jesus Christ was that painful to sit through. Even Brad Pitt can't pull this movie out of the dips of hell. It's just that bad! Expand
enzartoJan 9, 2016
Babel tells the story of intertwining narratives across several characters and their lives, and how their predicaments are interrelated. A nanny is eager to attend her son's wedding, but she is unable to find a temporary babysitter for twoBabel tells the story of intertwining narratives across several characters and their lives, and how their predicaments are interrelated. A nanny is eager to attend her son's wedding, but she is unable to find a temporary babysitter for two children she is charged with guardianship over. Thus she decides to take the children with her across border to Mexico. The children's parents are travelling in Morocco, and while on a touring bus, the wife is shot by a native Moroccan boy, who is with his brother trying out a his father's rifle on a mountaintop. The father of the two boys, Ibrahim Hassad, is now wanted by the local police and for a part of the plot, attempts his escape after discovering the shooting which has now also become an international story. Finally the rife was given to him prior to the events of the story by a Japanese man who was hunting in Morocco. The man believed he had a formidable hunting guide, and as a token of his gratitude, gives the guide this rifle, which eventually is sold to the father of these two boys.

The film itself overall was very engaging, and due to the multiple characters and the dimensional plot, the audience will remain very interested in what happens next, and ultimately how it ends. However, the necessity of some of the characters certainly comes into question as the film draws to its close.

For example, the Japanese man's purpose in the story was solely that he had given a rifle to a Moroccan hunting guide. However there is a subplot to his life, in that he has a daughter who deals with how her peers perceive her deafness, and a wife who committed suicide, however her method of suicide is purposely posed in the film as an undiscovered truth with some suggestions. The daughter's character is probably the most interesting character in the film, and the director's portrayal of her deaf experience is admirable and prone to empathy. However, the daughter's purpose in the overall plot that attempts to bring narratives to crossroads is a painfully pointless appendix, and a frustrating hindrance to the story.
She does not affect the film in anyway if she were to be removed, especially the detail of the dead wife.

Besides the daughter who is actually a character that poses dimension, humanized situations that create an engaging audience, the other characters, with the slight exception of the boy who shot the American woman, are very uninteresting. In a general sense, one would wish that the American women survives, but sadly if she did not, hearts wouldn't be broken. She isn't a character that the story makes you care for, and neither is Brad Pitt's.

Some of the events are also rather implausible and poorly conveyed. For instance, a nanny who is both an an illegal immigrant and employee of these two American parents, would certainly take extra caution and perhaps sacrifice her opportunity to attend her son's wedding in order to avoid putting the two children in serious danger, and to keep her own life secure and prevent deportation. Regardless of this very true point, the plot still, has this way of being very engaging. While the Japanese daughter is the most interesting character in the film, she takes serious risks with a legal official, by attempting to lure to perform sexual activity with her. While her desire for a sexual life which perhaps remains deprived and unexperimented with her condition, her choice of risk is not believable.

The story was very well presented and the film was beautifully expressed. But expression can be beautiful and also pointless, and the film tends to possess this quality of great plot drive, but to no avail. The film is a journey with a destination that is frustrating, because the journey should not have set off in the first place, but for reasons unmentioned it simply fails to be a great movie, and a bad movie.
chris247482Jan 3, 2016
This film is similar to Crash in the way the narrative is setup, although it is tackling different issues. I just got around to watching it in 2015, although it came out in 2006. The directing and camera work were well done, but really whatThis film is similar to Crash in the way the narrative is setup, although it is tackling different issues. I just got around to watching it in 2015, although it came out in 2006. The directing and camera work were well done, but really what moved me was some of the supporting acting. Brad Pitt is in the film and while I am a fan and he did well, his is not the acting I am referring to. In specific two of the supporting actresses (who were nominated for academy awards as a result of this film) really stood out and those are Adriana Barraza and Rinko Kikuchi.

Jennifer Hudson ended up winning the academy award and that was such a mistake. I think either of these other two actresses deserved it more. Of the two Kikuchi who plays a teenage deaf girl in Japan provided one of the most moving performances I have seen in a very long time and she did it without speaking any English, actually without speaking at all with the exception of sign language or writing notes. Many of the scenes where she has to convey what her character is feeling and experiencing she does so with her eyes and facial expressions.
Smiles22Dec 28, 2015
Dull, boring and uninteresting characters. I can't believe there is so much critical acclaim for such a terrible movie. The characters are bad, especially that of the Japanese girl.
TriggrdDec 14, 2015
One of the most underrated movies about the development of human nature in wilderness, urban surroundings. It also tells very emotional and comprehensible stories about miscommunication as the source for conflict and personal tragedies

BUT

prepare some snacks cause that movie unfortunately got stretched way too long for his own good
JohnMasterLOct 20, 2015
Una obra maestra en todo sentido. Babel se desarrolla en 4 lugares distintos cada lugar tiene a sus personajes y cada personaje tiene sus conflictos pero en general todos los personajes comparten una relación con los demás, aunque algunosUna obra maestra en todo sentido. Babel se desarrolla en 4 lugares distintos cada lugar tiene a sus personajes y cada personaje tiene sus conflictos pero en general todos los personajes comparten una relación con los demás, aunque algunos nunca se llegan a ver en toda la película, eso es lo grandioso de esta película, que podemos conocer profundamente la historia y situación de cada personaje y ademas de compartir un conflicto mundial con los demás personajes. Expand
RobertBroganSep 28, 2015
Babel is a mixed bag.While it does not feel very long, its main defect is its length. A shorter movie with tighter focus would have had a greater dramatic impact without having to sacrifice its social message. The colonialist attitudes killedBabel is a mixed bag.While it does not feel very long, its main defect is its length. A shorter movie with tighter focus would have had a greater dramatic impact without having to sacrifice its social message. The colonialist attitudes killed any sympathy for the central characters. But overall, it is still engaging and still worth seeing. Expand
CineAutoctonoJul 21, 2015
This movie is a symbol of power to seek peace and reconciliation in each country and a help for the human superation and equality. Gonzalez Inarritu makes magnificent award-winning films such as " Birdman" go forward by " The Revenant" .
Kafka09Apr 6, 2015
It's the worst movie I ever seen. It tries to connect the life of people from different cultures but it actually reinforces negative stereotypes such as Hispanic people as partying all the time and being irresponsible, Arab people as beingIt's the worst movie I ever seen. It tries to connect the life of people from different cultures but it actually reinforces negative stereotypes such as Hispanic people as partying all the time and being irresponsible, Arab people as being agressive and rudimentary and Asians as behaving creepy. And, of course, it places the American family as the cornerstone for the storyline, like they are the normal people in a chaotic world. I really don't get what the autors want to say, like "oh, great Americans, be careful because the world is full of creeps and irresponsible people but you do everything all right?" Expand
DanMan3395Jan 25, 2014
Interestingly, the reviews of this movie provide an amazing insight into how stupid the average Movie goer in the U.S. really is. Take a read of some of the negative reviews. Seriously its like monkey got on a computer somewhere and justInterestingly, the reviews of this movie provide an amazing insight into how stupid the average Movie goer in the U.S. really is. Take a read of some of the negative reviews. Seriously its like monkey got on a computer somewhere and just spewed inane garbage all over metacritic.

This is a very good film with a great deal of emotional and intellectual appeal. I think they represented the cultures and the dysfunction really well while keeping the movie interesting by bouncing the story around in 3 parts. Really good movie if you are not a chimp, highly recommended.

P.S. if you liked any of the transformer movies, this is not the film for you.
MichaelJacobDec 8, 2013
I thought that overall it was a pretty well-made movie. At the start I thought the subtitles were going to be distracting, but after a while it became second nature. I thought that the transitions between each of the different stories workedI thought that overall it was a pretty well-made movie. At the start I thought the subtitles were going to be distracting, but after a while it became second nature. I thought that the transitions between each of the different stories worked really well and wee well timed and that most camera angles worked well. The acting was plain up until half way through the film, and I thought that Brad Pitt's character grew throughout the film. The storyline itself, was pretty good, except I would have loved to see a bit more knots tied toward the end of the film, answering some questions that are still left unanswered. The Lighting throughout the film worked well, as it was used in good detail and helped to tell the story better. The lighting wasn't too dark either, which is good. I think the music and sounds worked really well, I especially love when the audience is put in inaudible as it makes the audience fell that sense of hopelessness. The film didn't contain many special effects and I think in some cases, these could have been used to enhanced the film. I particularly like the scene where they are in the nightclub in Japan, I think that the lighting in this scene is great, the way it confuses the audience, but yet still shows them what they are supposed to see. Expand
Compi24Jun 21, 2013
The performances are poignant, the camerawork is stimulating, the four stories interlock brilliantly, and in spite of some moderate pacing issues, "Babel" makes for a supremely thought-provoking trip.
worleyjamersJun 2, 2013
I thought this was absolutely incredible! Excellent film making in my opinion. Director Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu takes another multi-faceted story but this time, he perfects it! Babel is even better than his 21 Grams of 2003. The story isI thought this was absolutely incredible! Excellent film making in my opinion. Director Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu takes another multi-faceted story but this time, he perfects it! Babel is even better than his 21 Grams of 2003. The story is emotional; the characters are fascinating; the music is gripping and the script is wonderful. The acting is outstanding. How Jennifer Hudson won an Oscar over Rinko Kikuchi or Adriana Barraza I don't know, both were absolutely stunning. A great film about people and communication! Nominated for 7 Academy Awards including Best Picture, Babel is one of the best films of 2006! Expand
ThegodfathersonMay 20, 2013
Babel, which borrows its title from the Genesis 11 account of the moment in history when God scrambled humankind's languages and locations to limit our effectiveness at achieving corporate evil, is a masterpiece of raw cinematic emotion hungBabel, which borrows its title from the Genesis 11 account of the moment in history when God scrambled humankind's languages and locations to limit our effectiveness at achieving corporate evil, is a masterpiece of raw cinematic emotion hung on a framework of muddled messages and extreme content. As an exercise in empathy, Iñárritu's stories nailed me. Once I bought into the characters and their settings (and to the director's credit, I bought hard), every moment of the film was drenched in anxiety, sorrow and dread. The fact that not all of the tales end in utter loss offered little relief. And the movie's sadness hung with me long after I left the theater. Expand
finnigan37Feb 22, 2013
This is one of the five worst films I have ever seen. Insanely boring and pointless. Dullness for the sake of dullness. Saying nothing as a pretentious "message." Spare me.
kublay0880Dec 18, 2012
What a boring movie, it might have a background message but to me it seemed a totally UNNECESSARY MOVIE, brings nothing fresh to the viewer and it's nothing that you haven't seen in the news. It's like watching the news but with actors.
anothercoolguyDec 5, 2012
Great movie .
cameronmorewoodNov 8, 2012
It tries to do so much, but this nonlinear mess of a film has nothing to offer but some short snippets of great acting. It is original, but not all original ideas are good ones.
dheerajiJun 19, 2012
I thoroughly enjoyed this movie, but am not exactly sure what I liked about it. It's somewhat depressing and certainly isn't action-packed. Definitely worth watching.
Yoda300May 31, 2012
I was thinking about the possible things I could colour my life with after seeing this ..yeah what exactly was it, sure it wasn't a movie. So don't masturbate behind rocks or your brother will euhm..miss. Don't spy on your sister or yourI was thinking about the possible things I could colour my life with after seeing this ..yeah what exactly was it, sure it wasn't a movie. So don't masturbate behind rocks or your brother will euhm..miss. Don't spy on your sister or your father will do the clap-dance. Never travel or your kids may die in the desert. If you're in a desert, then don't leave any kids behind, sure I'll remember that one. Never leave the bus area if your wife is about to die by bleeding to death or they will continue their journey without you...yep, gotcha. And the most important one: don't you ever ever dare to decline a deaf-mute naked lady or she might jump of the balcony. My god, I'm pretty sure that Alejandro Gonzales still sucks his thumb way too long when he falls asleep. Expand
ApocalypseGamerFeb 14, 2012
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I really didn't get this film. I mean, the only good part about it was the American POV (Pitt and Blanchett) and the plot seemed really confusing even though it's told in different perspectives. One of the most confusing but weirdest films of all time. Expand
corc79Feb 2, 2012
Absolutely horrible. Most boring movie I've seen to date. Anyone who claims artsy, "deep" movies like this are anything but crap has eaten one too many retard sandwiches. The same kind of people that think someone like Jackson Pollack hasAbsolutely horrible. Most boring movie I've seen to date. Anyone who claims artsy, "deep" movies like this are anything but crap has eaten one too many retard sandwiches. The same kind of people that think someone like Jackson Pollack has talent, and created "art." It's all a pantload. Expand
grandpajoe6191Dec 26, 2011
Don't get me wrong; "Babel" is a grim yet seducing movie, one that is capable of diving deep into the diverse, infrastructural lives of others. But what pulls the pants down for this one is that there is no progress or moral. The movie just.....ends.
kingshahidJul 27, 2011
This movie was fabulous. It captured the connections of the world and how everything is related. This movie can represent how one can not be blamed for anything alone. The movie was intriguing moreso than being suspenseful.
DamienDarko777May 6, 2011
Magnificent, emotionally charged exploration of the lines that divide us. Terrific acting, gripping plot. Ignore the loser trolls who abuse this review site; Do yourself a favor and watch this film.
BlissJan 9, 2011
A breathtaking human story of startling perception and beauty. It is wonderfully acted and achingly tangible. Brilliant, and a must see.
babel_viewerNov 6, 2010
The title of the movie it explains it well..The definition of babel is a scene of confusion and noise, which is based off the biblical definition. The movie wasn't bad but the music was horrible and the story of the asian girl is irrelevantThe title of the movie it explains it well..The definition of babel is a scene of confusion and noise, which is based off the biblical definition. The movie wasn't bad but the music was horrible and the story of the asian girl is irrelevant and has hardly anything to do with the main story. It is worth watching if you have netflix or something. To the people who overly sensitive people complaining about the "graphic" parts of the movie you need to stick with Disney movies if you don't like it. They are simply showing real things that happen in this world, it is rated R for a reason and even explains the graphic natures of the movie before you watch it. Overall the movie was good, it just could use some touches to make it better. Expand
RoddersSep 13, 2009
Personally I love movies where the action / plotline doesn't necessarily have a neat beginning and end. The fact that we get so much insight into human lives, whether the 'plot' ties up at the end or not, is surely the point Personally I love movies where the action / plotline doesn't necessarily have a neat beginning and end. The fact that we get so much insight into human lives, whether the 'plot' ties up at the end or not, is surely the point of this film? I had no idea what life is really like in Mexico, Japan or Morocco, having never been to any of these places, but that aspect of this movie is the triumph here, that you feel empathy with a 17-year old deaf-mute girl in Tokyo, a Mexican nanny in her 50s or a Moroccan goat-farming family, and the documentary-style filming makes watching it unfold all the more satisfying. Oh, the stories don't properly relate to one and other so the movie's a sham? Not the point, surely! The acting is superb without exception and I feel that I have no need for the stories to connect at all in order for me to have gained a great deal of pleasure from watching this movie. I guess people who got nothing from this because the stories are only loosely connected to each other may be better off sticking to the formulaic Hollywood crap that passes as entertainment these days. Oh and those people who don't get the fact that the call that the nanny receives at the beginning and brad pitt's character makes at the end are one and the same should give up altogether. Expand
sinosinoAug 17, 2009
What a disappointment. Relentlessly miserable, relentlessly predictable, no engaging characters, portentious, pretentious, cliched. To paraphrase EM Forster 'well said, but not worth saying".
2 of 6 users found this helpful
MichaelSAug 14, 2009
This movie was nominated for best picture of the year? Really? I will say this much, the acting is well done. However, the plot is not great. Why are you telling me a story of the daughter of this Asian guy who sold the rifle to the Moroccan This movie was nominated for best picture of the year? Really? I will say this much, the acting is well done. However, the plot is not great. Why are you telling me a story of the daughter of this Asian guy who sold the rifle to the Moroccan man? Why not show the scene where you sold the rifle? Why am I supposed to care about this Asian girl that's trying to seduce everyone? So the Mexican lady is taking the kids to a wedding in Mexico and there is a border confrontation on their way back. How did they get into Mexico? Did they just drive in without checking passports of parents' consent? So Brad Pitt is talking to his kid and the Mexican lady at the end. What happened to a scene showing how the kids were found? What happened to the Mexican dude who drove away and left the lady and their kids? It's not as bad as "21 Grams." "21 Grams" has some of the worst editing in any movie that I have ever seen. It's such a frustrating movie. "Babel" tries to make a point by having all of these small connections. Why not add another hour telling me the life of the Asian girl's mother and have the connection be that it was her mother? Seriously, how stupid are these connections? Who takes tour on a bus that's driving in the middle of nowhere in Morocco? I'm sorry Academy. You could chose any other movie in 2006 to take Babel's spot. The movie has 0 replay value. I take nothing from this. 0 value. Expand
0 of 1 users found this helpful
JohnLazarJul 17, 2009
amazing movie. gut-wrenching, captivating and incredible. the directing is amazing, and brad pitt, cate blanchett and adriana barraza are amazing. along with the entire cast. the writing is true, and shows the consequences of our thoughtlessamazing movie. gut-wrenching, captivating and incredible. the directing is amazing, and brad pitt, cate blanchett and adriana barraza are amazing. along with the entire cast. the writing is true, and shows the consequences of our thoughtless actions. ONLY FOR INTELLIGENT PEOPLE!! OTHERS WON'T GET IT OR APPRECIATE IT AND BE "BORED" WHEN THEY'RE TOO LAZY TO UNDERSTAND. Expand
VanshVJul 10, 2009
Ridiculous movie. It feels as if five year olds could have done a better job. There were too many pointless nude scenes. Bored me to death. Another example where user reviews are more accurate than critic reviews.
caporegimeJun 10, 2009
If it were not for the cast and the crew then, this movie will be dumb.
TannerJJun 5, 2009
Very overrated. The acting is very good but this movie is so long and boring! The exact same structure is used in 21 grams but that movie was fantastic. Babel is just disappointing.
NavinJApr 4, 2009
My wife bought this film since she wanted to see it. After the first ten minutes she fell asleep and I turned it off. Trite, contrived, ignorant and a big waste of time. Almost seemed like the scriptwriter hadn't even been to the places My wife bought this film since she wanted to see it. After the first ten minutes she fell asleep and I turned it off. Trite, contrived, ignorant and a big waste of time. Almost seemed like the scriptwriter hadn't even been to the places he was writing about. Probably not as bad as Crash, but worse that Syriana. Expand
DJFeb 26, 2009
Possibly the worst movie I have ever seen. Entire 2.5 hr plot could have been told in 15mins. 150 mins of my life I'll never get back. Absolutely horrible! Ridiculous waste of time!
BtvalleyFeb 13, 2009
This was a masterful piece. Truthfully one of the best pictures I have ever seen. To Piper L: Did you ever think that this is what the director wanted you to see, that Americans are egocentric, and ethnocentric on their own values and This was a masterful piece. Truthfully one of the best pictures I have ever seen. To Piper L: Did you ever think that this is what the director wanted you to see, that Americans are egocentric, and ethnocentric on their own values and customs, not of those of others. This happens everyday in many countries but becasue we as an American Cultrue are to blind, with our starbucks coffee and big screen tv's, to see how much we really impact the world and those in it. Step outside the box my friend. Expand
JaredEJan 22, 2009
Was this a short story written by a high school drop out that was turned into more than a two hour production? This was the longest piece of crap I have ever seen with the most minimal amount of acting possible. I could literally feel my Was this a short story written by a high school drop out that was turned into more than a two hour production? This was the longest piece of crap I have ever seen with the most minimal amount of acting possible. I could literally feel my life being sucked from me while viewing it. You know it is bad when you can have casual conversation or a bathroom break at any point in the film and not lose anything from the plot. Expand
PiperL.Dec 28, 2008
I agree this movie was way too long and a bit too pretentious. Its happy ending is also a bit ugly....did any one else notice that it was only happy for the white people? The mom lived, and the kids were found...but the Moroccan boy was I agree this movie was way too long and a bit too pretentious. Its happy ending is also a bit ugly....did any one else notice that it was only happy for the white people? The mom lived, and the kids were found...but the Moroccan boy was dead, the other Moroccans sent to prison, the Mexican woman shamed and deported, and the Asian teen still a virgin, still deaf, oh, and naked on the terrace with her dad...what the? Expand
ChadR.Dec 9, 2008
I checked Babel out at the library so I didn't waste my money. Just my time. The value I got out of it was the "slice of life" from different cultures in Japan, Mexico and Morroco. The movie itself was exploitation draped in a thin I checked Babel out at the library so I didn't waste my money. Just my time. The value I got out of it was the "slice of life" from different cultures in Japan, Mexico and Morroco. The movie itself was exploitation draped in a thin pretense. Sure they spoke different languages. Sure they were connected, but in a very contrived way. That doesn't excuse depicting a child pleasuring himself after seeing his sister naked, or a deaf Japanese school girl flashing in public, or a dying woman making out with her husband while using a bedpan. That's just perverted. Expand
0 of 1 users found this helpful
DanS.Dec 6, 2008
Well, I enjoyed it a lot, what can I say? Certainly I could say that parts were a bit slow -- for me it was totally engrossing, but it so happened that I watched it split over two evenings. But II thought it was a pretty amazing movie, withWell, I enjoyed it a lot, what can I say? Certainly I could say that parts were a bit slow -- for me it was totally engrossing, but it so happened that I watched it split over two evenings. But II thought it was a pretty amazing movie, with a raw realism that makes me feel like I really tapped into these connected slices of life. I found the acting compelling all around and the cinematography and locations amazing.

The feel is almost documentary-like, and we are jumped from character to character such that we aren't deeply invested in any one. There are emotional events, but they are presented rather starkly with little comment. Rather like watching a nature video where animals struggle and some die, but we don't really know those animals, so we are left to our own devices as to the interpretation.

I think there is a lot to think about afterwards about the the various connections and character contrasts that didn't necessarily jump out while I was watching the film. (There's more to it than just a gun.) This movie is not the best movie ever but it is quite special, if you are properly receptive to it. It requires a certain contemplativeness and willingness to look beyond the surface. You are not going to want to watch this with some buddies over beers.
DeniseB.Oct 21, 2008
I just finished watching this unbelievably boring piece of crap on cable. Thank God I didn't get sucked into paying to suffer through this boring maudlin mess in the theater. At home, with the glory of the fast forward function, I was I just finished watching this unbelievably boring piece of crap on cable. Thank God I didn't get sucked into paying to suffer through this boring maudlin mess in the theater. At home, with the glory of the fast forward function, I was able to move things along in a way the director could not seem to do. And the ending made no sense whatsoever. Utter crap. Expand
MarkE.Sep 13, 2008
A fragmented, frustrating film. The three strands of the film are so loosely tied together that the finished product comes apart at the seams. Yes, I'm aware the overriding messages of global responsibility and the 'butterfly A fragmented, frustrating film. The three strands of the film are so loosely tied together that the finished product comes apart at the seams. Yes, I'm aware the overriding messages of global responsibility and the 'butterfly effect' of our actions, and the self-important, self-indulgent nature of these themes shines through nauseatingly. Expand
MikeS.Apr 25, 2008
This is the worst movie I have ever seen! I cannot believe the amount of time I wasted waiting for to get the main plot of the movie and it never happened. Sorry Brad Pitt, good acting but awful sorry line.
SibuV.Apr 20, 2008
Wonderfully done, but the ending is very vauge.
CronosA.Apr 20, 2008
A love it or hate it film. You can prove that by seeing all the ratings here: 10 or 0 in most cases. Mine is ten, but why? Simply because this film may be pretentious, but in a good way, or because the job of the actors (Barraza an Kikuchi A love it or hate it film. You can prove that by seeing all the ratings here: 10 or 0 in most cases. Mine is ten, but why? Simply because this film may be pretentious, but in a good way, or because the job of the actors (Barraza an Kikuchi are outstanding). For those who didn't understand the film, they should pay more atention to the time frames. Expand
TonyB.Apr 7, 2008
This noble failure was one of the more overrated films of 2006. Its slow pace, often pretentious cinematography and occasional incoherence make me wonder what some of the fuss was all about. Easily the highlight of this misbegotten effort This noble failure was one of the more overrated films of 2006. Its slow pace, often pretentious cinematography and occasional incoherence make me wonder what some of the fuss was all about. Easily the highlight of this misbegotten effort was the performance of Adriana Barazza as the Mexican nanny. (Incidentally, who is Brad Pitt talking to in his last scene if she is being detained by immigration authorities?) Expand
0 of 2 users found this helpful
RidleyJFeb 24, 2008
I love art house human drama movies , so I was looking forward to this, but I found it to be really vapid. There's no depth to any of the roles here, and to be honest I got bored during the movie. It has only one moving scene in theI love art house human drama movies , so I was looking forward to this, but I found it to be really vapid. There's no depth to any of the roles here, and to be honest I got bored during the movie. It has only one moving scene in the whole movie, and although that was pewtty powerful, it just wasn't enough. Crash I will remember forever. Babel I will quickly forget. Expand
ClairekohlJan 6, 2008
This was the worst movie I've seen in 35 years. Basically it's liberal emoting subliminally with the theme: Western Culture (Japan which copies America) is to blame for all the ills in the world. Big bad border guards, big badThis was the worst movie I've seen in 35 years. Basically it's liberal emoting subliminally with the theme: Western Culture (Japan which copies America) is to blame for all the ills in the world. Big bad border guards, big bad Americans don't understand illegal immigrant struggle or arab family dynamics. It sucks worse than anything you can imagine....don't waste your money renting this piece of crap of a film. Expand
AjazKhanDec 28, 2007
The only message apparent in the entire film was: "Americans are the best! Rest all (contextually the Mexicans & Afghanis) are uncouth and gruff. Though the direction was superb and the script was excellent. The placing of stories was thoughThe only message apparent in the entire film was: "Americans are the best! Rest all (contextually the Mexicans & Afghanis) are uncouth and gruff. Though the direction was superb and the script was excellent. The placing of stories was though not very creative, but was impactful. The Thai story acted as a lachrymorosing agent for the film, while the Afghani & the Mexican parts were the substance of the movie. Babel should be considered as a mild answer to the all-time-legend "Crash" Expand
LisaNDec 18, 2007
Terribly put together. Although you can link how all the parties relate to each other, it was done horribly. I was surprised any big name actors/actresses were willing to put their name to this film.
MichaelF.Dec 17, 2007
Probably the most boring and overextended film ever made. It drowns in its own pretentiousness and despite it's attempts to be surprising and thought-provoking it ends up predictable and dry. The bravest critics are the ones who Probably the most boring and overextended film ever made. It drowns in its own pretentiousness and despite it's attempts to be surprising and thought-provoking it ends up predictable and dry. The bravest critics are the ones who aren't afraid to cut through the art-house buzz and call this movie what it really is: a complete waste of time. Expand
ChristopherP.Dec 4, 2007
I think it's a pretty good movie, it's different, but it's not for everyone.
AlexW.Nov 27, 2007
The connections that link the characters are terribly selected, and send the wrong message, the long drawn out scenes and blatantly manipulative score were key markers to the hollowness of the entire work, totally devoid of substance, and The connections that link the characters are terribly selected, and send the wrong message, the long drawn out scenes and blatantly manipulative score were key markers to the hollowness of the entire work, totally devoid of substance, and definitely lacking subtlety, yet over saturated with pompous pretentiousness, this movie is wrong on so many levels. Expand
ArmandoP.Oct 26, 2007
An underrated movie, is a masterpiece and is vert very intelligent
Sunn-RaSep 25, 2007
Moving, awakening, igniting.
RichYSep 18, 2007
Superb film. Is the story simple? Yes. Did that take away from the movie experience? Not in the least. The movie delivers teh goods in every respect - casting, acting, direction, editing, cinematography, soundtrack, 5.1 mix...and mood. Tons Superb film. Is the story simple? Yes. Did that take away from the movie experience? Not in the least. The movie delivers teh goods in every respect - casting, acting, direction, editing, cinematography, soundtrack, 5.1 mix...and mood. Tons of mood. Isolation. Despair. Hopelessness. Salvation. I'm sorry, people who demand more "story" should be reading Dickens or teaching English in middle school. This is a movie, and movie is art, an art of light, sound and emotion, doing things that word on paper cannot. This is a great movie. See it and tell us what you think. Expand
LiefS.Sep 5, 2007
This could have been a really good tv episode if it were half an hour long. instead u have an over extended bleeding heart, left wing propoganda flick with tons of long un-needed scenes (like the little boy masterbating while protecting goats?)
DOAug 21, 2007
This had to be the worst movie my husband and I have ever seen. We kept waiting for something to really make sense. BIG WASTE of time.
Chads.Aug 19, 2007
i enjoyed this movie. it isnt the best movie ever, but its unique, memorable, and an overall entertaining story. the plot unfortunately can be slow at times, but if you are interested in babel you should check it out.
MarkTAug 13, 2007
So sad that this is what passes for insight. This film is far too laboured, much like Crash, and offers little in the way of humour, lightness of touch, or even horror, to carry its plodding pace. A shame, as this is clearly an important So sad that this is what passes for insight. This film is far too laboured, much like Crash, and offers little in the way of humour, lightness of touch, or even horror, to carry its plodding pace. A shame, as this is clearly an important topic, and we are all seeking art which sheds light on globalisation. Expand
1 of 2 users found this helpful
CraigB.Jul 28, 2007
just because other people tell you a movie is deep and meaningful covering race, relationships and terrorism, doesn't mean they're right. this movie is absolute rubbish. it has nothing to keep you watching other than you just because other people tell you a movie is deep and meaningful covering race, relationships and terrorism, doesn't mean they're right. this movie is absolute rubbish. it has nothing to keep you watching other than you desperately what to see something happen. it doesn't. ever. people need to get a pair and tell it like it is, instead of pandering to the media guru's and trying to be right. please never see this film, you'll thank me. Expand
RobB.Jul 21, 2007
Looks fantastic. Terrible Story.
TaN.Jul 18, 2007
Ok so I just watched Babel. Maybe it's me but basically it was a good story...that centered a crochity old white woman getting shot in the neck and the police force from the middle east, japan, and the united states frantically tried to Ok so I just watched Babel. Maybe it's me but basically it was a good story...that centered a crochity old white woman getting shot in the neck and the police force from the middle east, japan, and the united states frantically tried to save her. I mean come on! If this country hasn't learned or doesn't know by now that the white woman is the reason and subsequently the downfall of this country then maybe they should watch this movie. Everybody who came in contact with these parasites was either killed, beaten, or arrested. Sure the Eastern kids shouldn't have been playing with a gun but what the fuck was a tourist bus doing out in the middle of the desert? Why do white people travel where they aren't wanted? I thought it was funny the passagers on the bus began to freak out because they were subject to loosing control, subject to not being mystified as white gods. Money doesn't by you safety, police anywhere can only beat to death so many people before the oppressed get tired of it. Here's this white supremacist feminine patriarch, who, as I've experienced women like her, pretend to have balls until they're someone comes along with bigger ones that is, hunched in a fetal position helpless while the world is literally in chaos. And don't forget the white kids. No maybe it was a bad choice for the housekeeper or nanny to take them to Mexico City with her...I would have just left the devil spawn and gone to my son's wedding. I can always get another job. Then she could have stayed over and if the same relative was going to drive her home the least he would have had was a hang over. I think this movie illustrated the problem with creating a social structure that caters to skin and bullies, if they can't kill you with kindness, or by you off, the rest of the world to follow along with their childish schemes. Expand
JohnZJul 15, 2007
This movie tore up my guts. Great acting. I've never seen reviews of a movie that had so many either loving it or hating it, 10 all the way to 0. As effecting as it was to me, I can't understand how someone could not be involved This movie tore up my guts. Great acting. I've never seen reviews of a movie that had so many either loving it or hating it, 10 all the way to 0. As effecting as it was to me, I can't understand how someone could not be involved with it, but I just figure that's their loss. Expand
KostasA.Jul 10, 2007
It was quite a good film. But, I don't think that without the Japan part it would be worse. In some way it just didn't fit in the story. The acting was excellent and mostly as far as the children are concerned. Brand Pit did at It was quite a good film. But, I don't think that without the Japan part it would be worse. In some way it just didn't fit in the story. The acting was excellent and mostly as far as the children are concerned. Brand Pit did at least something not heroic in his career and wasn't the one who saves the world. The direction was worth the award. Lastly, I have one question, what was the meaning of the scene in which the boy masturbated? I can't understand what it was to show us. If somebody does, please mail me, I'm really curious. Expand
JohnF.Jul 6, 2007
Good story and pace with beleivable characters. I really enjoyed this movie.
NickA.Jun 29, 2007
Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu has become a director so emotionally depleting that when one leaves the theater after seeing one of his films, they are left naked and vulnerable to the world
JohnD.Jun 22, 2007
This movie was infuriating beyond compare!!! The thought that I wasted two hours of my life watching this "movie" makes me sick to my stomach! Where is the second disc? The credits came but the end did not. I felt less intelligent as a This movie was infuriating beyond compare!!! The thought that I wasted two hours of my life watching this "movie" makes me sick to my stomach! Where is the second disc? The credits came but the end did not. I felt less intelligent as a person while I dragged through the movie. Expand
PhilG.Jun 18, 2007
The movie tries hard to be like some European movies and just fails badly. The director has not mastered the art of creating a movie without a plot and yet captivating the audience. He has a lot to learn from the Italian, French and Spanish masters.
danwilsonJun 18, 2007
this movie was the shittest thing i have ever watched...things which i have gazed upon so far in my life which have succsessfully satisfied me more than this so called film include... paint drying, snails crawling and big brother livethis movie was the shittest thing i have ever watched...things which i have gazed upon so far in my life which have succsessfully satisfied me more than this so called film include... paint drying, snails crawling and big brother live nominations... as far as im concerned you owe me one hundred and forty two minutes of my life back.... as for it being a so called suspense slash thriller... if u tried to make the most boringest randomest crappest movie ever, this would beat u. yours sincerely dan wilson... better luck next time Expand
RussellL.Jun 15, 2007
Jason, you're an idiot! The reason she could take the call was because it happened before she even went to Mexico. Weren't you paying attention? This was the link between the different threads in the movie, but the time frames were Jason, you're an idiot! The reason she could take the call was because it happened before she even went to Mexico. Weren't you paying attention? This was the link between the different threads in the movie, but the time frames were different, that's all. Expand
MarkJun 8, 2007
Pretentious is the best way to describe this silly movie. Tries hard and gets nowhere.
SheenaM.Jun 8, 2007
This was brilliant. Intelligent and emotional, subtle and powerful, adult and humane. Ten out of ten.
NickB.Jun 8, 2007
What do some of these reviewers want, THE definitive story that links all mankind and explains all of human life that ever was? This is a great film - but only a film. If the connections betweens its story strands are tenuous, so what? As What do some of these reviewers want, THE definitive story that links all mankind and explains all of human life that ever was? This is a great film - but only a film. If the connections betweens its story strands are tenuous, so what? As each story progresses - full of intelligence and heart - that story in front of you's all you need, and each of them succeeds dramatically. Don't forget - this is entertainment, albeit serious, and it delivers visceral thrills throughout via a strong script, incendiary, cutting edge film- making, and compelling performances. Expand
JasonH.Jun 4, 2007
There is a glaring plot flaw near the end of this pretentious self conscious movie that makes me wonder why it's not mentioned by anyone. Maybe I didn't get this little twist and somebody can explain it to me. How could the nanny There is a glaring plot flaw near the end of this pretentious self conscious movie that makes me wonder why it's not mentioned by anyone. Maybe I didn't get this little twist and somebody can explain it to me. How could the nanny be putting the daughter on the phone to speak with the father (Brad Pitt) if she's been deported? I give it a 1 for an example of how not to make a movie. Expand
DouglasR.May 29, 2007
Two and a half hours of obtuse obsurity, held together by only the thinest of story lines. Gratuitously sad and dull, goes nowhere. Pointless.
StevenH.May 26, 2007
A banal treatment of 6 degrees of separation the famous graph theory of human connectedness. It lacks any coherence and progresses as if it is simply reporting the tenuous connections. I am amazed that it was even produced.
BlakeW.May 20, 2007
This is indeed a well made film. However, the film they decided to make is a pretentious piece of political-statement garbage. If you are stupid enough to not realize that people are interconnected in small, ultimately meaningless ways, This is indeed a well made film. However, the film they decided to make is a pretentious piece of political-statement garbage. If you are stupid enough to not realize that people are interconnected in small, ultimately meaningless ways, check this movie out and realize it at last...at the same time you can contemplate suicide as you witness an incredibly pessimistic outlook on life. Expand
SalmanHabibMay 18, 2007
I think Carl f summed it up for me....only people who are claiming it to be unrealistic and boring are those who havent out of their cosy lillte neighbourhood....rest alone america....i have been to many countries and this movie depicted theI think Carl f summed it up for me....only people who are claiming it to be unrealistic and boring are those who havent out of their cosy lillte neighbourhood....rest alone america....i have been to many countries and this movie depicted the intrinsic complexities of different cultures brilliantly and authentically....the fact that was evident in the whole movie which many american beleive as well is that their blood is somehow more important than that of others....that they are more important than the rest of the world....but somehow they dont want to accept it....oh wait yeah....they dont want to be called racist anymore.... Expand
OrfeoMay 11, 2007
Four months after I saw this, I'm still drawn to it. Not because of the plot details, or any deep philosophical message, but simply because it felt like a genuine cinematic experience. It made me FEEL things. Sometimes it was charming, Four months after I saw this, I'm still drawn to it. Not because of the plot details, or any deep philosophical message, but simply because it felt like a genuine cinematic experience. It made me FEEL things. Sometimes it was charming, and sometimes it was trying to tear my heart out. I don't know that it took me to any particular destination - and that's probably what some people dislike about it - but throughout the entire film I felt like the journey itself was worth experiencing and was never dull. I've seen much shorter movies that seemed to take a lot longer. Expand
SaraG.May 8, 2007
I was very impressed with the whole thing, I love that it shows how our world is so connected, yet completely divided. It definitely puts you in someone else's shoes.
NAApr 30, 2007
You have to be stupid to not see the amazingness of this movie. Sure it was depressing but its was well made, the acting performances were great, it showed how all these people are connected to each other even though they are worlds apart. I You have to be stupid to not see the amazingness of this movie. Sure it was depressing but its was well made, the acting performances were great, it showed how all these people are connected to each other even though they are worlds apart. I thought that this was a great movie because of how realistic it was. If you gave this movie below a 6 you have no right to speak. Expand
Js.Apr 28, 2007
What are you all waiting for exactly? Why must everything be cleverly and intricately linked together to deserve acclaim? So many of you that knock this film complain about the frailty of the connections between characters. So what? The What are you all waiting for exactly? Why must everything be cleverly and intricately linked together to deserve acclaim? So many of you that knock this film complain about the frailty of the connections between characters. So what? The world is not a cleverly orchestrated screenplay. Commonly, trivial events lead to catastrophic results. Worlds collide in uncommon and sometimes very strange ways. Everything doesn't (and shouldn't) magically come together like the cliche's you are used to and obviously can't live without. Many people of our society are sexually repressed, and many live in paralyzing fear over things that may seem inconsequential to you. If at the very least you cannot wrap your pedantic, hair-splitting brain around the simplicity of the storyline, show some sensitivity to the genuine FEELING that this film has. Cate's performance alone should earn this film at least three points. Giving it a zero is just plain stupid and makes me wonder if some of you are capable of compassion or empathy at all. Expand
CaroleD.Apr 26, 2007
Engaging, phenomenal acting and script writing. If I have to fault it, the story doesn't hang together as it might, and there are various political statements with no development, like the housekeeper's deportation back to MX.
AlexS.Apr 25, 2007
Powerful and beautifully shot. Not your usual Hollywood movie.
NatalieO.Apr 25, 2007
It was well acted, and visually stunning (especially the Japanese story), but there was no punch to it. Besides the music, it is quite forgettable
ghostlyApr 24, 2007
when i saw this film i was in laos in a tourist trap town where all the blonds and europeens and privileged israeli went for vacation..to do tubbing...
anyways..they were all sitting in this restaurant watching this movie...of Moroccan berbers eating couscous at a table...and looking so boring and primitive in the eyes of the camera. Truly this movie was made by an american who only knows america...now the filmakers name is hispanic but how much of Morocco does he know? He just showed them like aloof people with no intelleigence..i mean shit..i was in morocco and tought video to the adolescents and they had very fine minds...
America is so scared of herself...and being unloved...that she projects her fears on everyone.
IT is a shame that we never hear the voice of the Moroccan people. They are just fucking scenery for the glorification of Mr armpit and Mme aerian race blondy herself...
America the WHTIE
although u made a film about internation...it was once again about self importance of the whites colonnizers.
CarlosG.Apr 24, 2007
Possibly, the worst of it all i that everything happens to one single white American family!
JohnO.Apr 18, 2007
Its beautifully shot and the performances are first class but as many have said there isn't really anything of great substance to connect the various storylines convincingly. Inarrito is undoubtedly extremely talented but I'd hoped Its beautifully shot and the performances are first class but as many have said there isn't really anything of great substance to connect the various storylines convincingly. Inarrito is undoubtedly extremely talented but I'd hoped for more. Just one story with a fully developed plot perhaps. Pleeease!!? Expand
SeanM.Apr 15, 2007
An absolute waste of the time I spent watching the film. I can't believe that Brad Pitt would be involved in such a piece of garbage. The way the stories were intertwined was weak at best and not in the least entertaining. I was left An absolute waste of the time I spent watching the film. I can't believe that Brad Pitt would be involved in such a piece of garbage. The way the stories were intertwined was weak at best and not in the least entertaining. I was left waiting for everything to come together, credits rolled and I was still waiting. Truly one of the worst movies I have seen in a long time. It's right up there with Pooty Tang and Jeepers Creepers. Expand
anonimousApr 11, 2007
This movie is not stupid, it's dumb. I wonder how much the writer of this movie knows about Morocco, Japan and Mexico...?
it's a pity for people who don't know much about these cultures to watch this garbage and think that this is how things are.
I wonder if it is illegal immigration, pauvrety, ignorance or simply, greatness of america in the whole world that this movie is trying to show here???
it has beautiful pictures though of all these 3 countries, that's why I give it 1.
PatC.Apr 9, 2007
One of the most intelligent movies to recently come out of Hollywood, but it deliberately confounds the viewer in the early going. Nothing can be gained from doing so. The best movies are entertainment that flows effortlessly, not a test of One of the most intelligent movies to recently come out of Hollywood, but it deliberately confounds the viewer in the early going. Nothing can be gained from doing so. The best movies are entertainment that flows effortlessly, not a test of one's attention span and interrelational skills. Expand
JackW.Apr 8, 2007
Bar good performances and cinematography this film just tried to hard. The way the stories linked was pathetic as were the plot of most of the stories themselves. I can think of so many flaws.
MikeN.Apr 8, 2007
This was almost a great film. The ending, however, just ruined it. I got the feeling that that the American mother and the Japanese girl should have died, but the studio pressured the filmmakers to let them live in order to please American This was almost a great film. The ending, however, just ruined it. I got the feeling that that the American mother and the Japanese girl should have died, but the studio pressured the filmmakers to let them live in order to please American audiences. Expand
MartinS.Apr 8, 2007
I thought the movie was very effective in portraying American attitudes towards immigrants even when traveling abroad. Having traveled quite a bit in Africa, India and the Middle East I can vouch for the authenticity: People with barely a I thought the movie was very effective in portraying American attitudes towards immigrants even when traveling abroad. Having traveled quite a bit in Africa, India and the Middle East I can vouch for the authenticity: People with barely a pot to pee in extending hospitality rarely seen in this country. Expand