Babel

6.6

1. Jan 9, 2011
    A breathtaking human story of startling perception and beauty. It is wonderfully acted and achingly tangible. Brilliant, and a must see.
  2. May 6, 2011
    Magnificent, emotionally charged exploration of the lines that divide us. Terrific acting, gripping plot. Ignore the loser trolls who abuse this review site; Do yourself a favor and watch this film.
  3. JulieRoberts
    Oct 30, 2006
    Flashing between Tokyo, Morocco and Baja Mexico, this third entry in Inarritu's triptych (along with Amores Perros and 21 Grams) is an emotionally saturated story about the interconnectedness of joy and pain in our world. While Tolstoy argued that "all happy families are alike; every unhappy family is unhappy in its own way," Inarritu's masterpiece demonstrates the universalityFlashing between Tokyo, Morocco and Baja Mexico, this third entry in Inarritu's triptych (along with Amores Perros and 21 Grams) is an emotionally saturated story about the interconnectedness of joy and pain in our world. While Tolstoy argued that "all happy families are alike; every unhappy family is unhappy in its own way," Inarritu's masterpiece demonstrates the universality of pain and loss in a beautiful tribute to the fragility of the human condition. As Inarritu responded to a question about Tolstoy's famous line (after a screening of Babel at the Telluride Film Festival), "he got it wrong." Expand
  4. Jan 25, 2014
    Interestingly, the reviews of this movie provide an amazing insight into how stupid the average Movie goer in the U.S. really is. Take a read of some of the negative reviews. Seriously its like monkey got on a computer somewhere and just spewed inane garbage all over metacritic.

This is a very good film with a great deal of emotional and intellectual appeal. I think they represented the cultures and the dysfunction really well while keeping the movie interesting by bouncing the story around in 3 parts. Really good movie if you are not a chimp, highly recommended.

P.S. if you liked any of the transformer movies, this is not the film for you.
  5. Jun 2, 2013
    I thought this was absolutely incredible! Excellent film making in my opinion. Director Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu takes another multi-faceted story but this time, he perfects it! Babel is even better than his 21 Grams of 2003. The story is emotional; the characters are fascinating; the music is gripping and the script is wonderful. The acting is outstanding. How Jennifer Hudson won anI thought this was absolutely incredible! Excellent film making in my opinion. Director Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu takes another multi-faceted story but this time, he perfects it! Babel is even better than his 21 Grams of 2003. The story is emotional; the characters are fascinating; the music is gripping and the script is wonderful. The acting is outstanding. How Jennifer Hudson won an Oscar over Rinko Kikuchi or Adriana Barraza I don't know, both were absolutely stunning. A great film about people and communication! Nominated for 7 Academy Awards including Best Picture, Babel is one of the best films of 2006! Expand
  6. Nov 6, 2010
    The title of the movie it explains it well..The definition of babel is a scene of confusion and noise, which is based off the biblical definition. The movie wasn't bad but the music was horrible and the story of the asian girl is irrelevant and has hardly anything to do with the main story. It is worth watching if you have netflix or something. To the people who overly sensitive peopleThe title of the movie it explains it well..The definition of babel is a scene of confusion and noise, which is based off the biblical definition. The movie wasn't bad but the music was horrible and the story of the asian girl is irrelevant and has hardly anything to do with the main story. It is worth watching if you have netflix or something. To the people who overly sensitive people complaining about the "graphic" parts of the movie you need to stick with Disney movies if you don't like it. They are simply showing real things that happen in this world, it is rated R for a reason and even explains the graphic natures of the movie before you watch it. Overall the movie was good, it just could use some touches to make it better. Expand
  7. MajedM.
    Mar 3, 2007
    AWESOME MOVIE. You will need to pay attention, as this movie is not for the uneducated ones. It is a mind twister....loved it. MUST SEE
  8. ElizaS.
    Nov 10, 2006
    Since Amores Perros, Mexican cinema has completely changed. Almost 80% of the films made in Mexico now follow this 3-story segments. Babel is a triumph, it's not perfect but the level of acting is the best of the year. The message of it is consistant, penetrating, LISTENING, this film could end up with many many noms for the Oscars.
  9. Devil'sR.
    Nov 1, 2006
    This is a very complex and touching film. Probably the best film from the trilogy. Great performances great screenplay. The best story was the Japanese girl, very very touching and great performance by Kikuchi. Amazing film, maybe not the best of the year, but still great.
  10. RobertV.
    Nov 25, 2006
    I haven't seen a film that moved me as much and impressed me with its use of the medium to visually tell a story of such epic proportion as to how one single choice, mistake or moment in time can affect the lives of so many people around our world simultaneously. At times, its window on our world - in all of its complexity as well as its simplicity, its frailty and strength, its I haven't seen a film that moved me as much and impressed me with its use of the medium to visually tell a story of such epic proportion as to how one single choice, mistake or moment in time can affect the lives of so many people around our world simultaneously. At times, its window on our world - in all of its complexity as well as its simplicity, its frailty and strength, its poverty and wealth, power and hoplessness, brutality and kindness - Was so realistic I almost forgot I was watching a movie. I found myself riveted to the screen, on the edge of my seat, actually praying that each of the many developed characters stories would somehow work out ok. In all of the tragedy it communicates about our liability to communicate, tolerate, accept, allow and embrace each others crises - Which it does masterfully and visually without beating you over the head - And it took me until the actual rolling of the credits and the dedication to children - to realize that the movie was actually much more about hope than despair. I also think that people without children will not relate even remotely as powerfully to this film as those with. I haven't left a theatre in a long time considering how much my own choices can affect so many. A powerful, masterful and visually stunning piece of film as art. Expand
  11. JeffS.
    Jan 10, 2007
    Brilliant film that selects 4 story-threads, playing them out to demonstrate truths about communication, time and the human condition.
  12. TracyR.
    Jan 30, 2007
    Has some flaws, but does so much right that it gets the high score for intentions and for delivering some of the most stirring acting and beautiful cinematography to be seen in what has been a bad movie year. Two of the other best movies of the year (regardless of the Oscars) Pan's Labyrinth and Children of Men also emanated out of Mexico and it's an extraordinary burst that Has some flaws, but does so much right that it gets the high score for intentions and for delivering some of the most stirring acting and beautiful cinematography to be seen in what has been a bad movie year. Two of the other best movies of the year (regardless of the Oscars) Pan's Labyrinth and Children of Men also emanated out of Mexico and it's an extraordinary burst that should be treasured. Expand
  13. ElliotP.
    Feb 4, 2007
    If you want to see Brad Pitt, go see another of his movies, because his role in this one, while excellently portrayed, is little more than a cameo appearance. The movie ending was an interesting segment, in a film of segments, but was baffling, and less than satisfying. The acting in all parts was beautiful to watch; I am not sure the director really had a unifying vision. I suspect the If you want to see Brad Pitt, go see another of his movies, because his role in this one, while excellently portrayed, is little more than a cameo appearance. The movie ending was an interesting segment, in a film of segments, but was baffling, and less than satisfying. The acting in all parts was beautiful to watch; I am not sure the director really had a unifying vision. I suspect the name Babel is supposed to explain and excuse a lot of this disjointed and empty feelings away. Expand
  14. LennonA.
    Mar 1, 2007
    One of the finest achievements in the world of cinema since the turn of the century. This film was breathtaking, tragic, intense, gripping, everything. A solid, unquestionable masterpiece.
  15. CaroleD.
    Apr 26, 2007
    Engaging, phenomenal acting and script writing. If I have to fault it, the story doesn't hang together as it might, and there are various political statements with no development, like the housekeeper's deportation back to MX.
  16. MartinS.
    Apr 8, 2007
    I thought the movie was very effective in portraying American attitudes towards immigrants even when traveling abroad. Having traveled quite a bit in Africa, India and the Middle East I can vouch for the authenticity: People with barely a pot to pee in extending hospitality rarely seen in this country.
  17. NickB.
    Jun 8, 2007
    What do some of these reviewers want, THE definitive story that links all mankind and explains all of human life that ever was? This is a great film - but only a film. If the connections betweens its story strands are tenuous, so what? As each story progresses - full of intelligence and heart - that story in front of you's all you need, and each of them succeeds dramatically. What do some of these reviewers want, THE definitive story that links all mankind and explains all of human life that ever was? This is a great film - but only a film. If the connections betweens its story strands are tenuous, so what? As each story progresses - full of intelligence and heart - that story in front of you's all you need, and each of them succeeds dramatically. Don't forget - this is entertainment, albeit serious, and it delivers visceral thrills throughout via a strong script, incendiary, cutting edge film- making, and compelling performances. Expand
  18. SheenaM.
    Jun 8, 2007
    This was brilliant. Intelligent and emotional, subtle and powerful, adult and humane. Ten out of ten.
  19. TaN.
    Jul 18, 2007
    Ok so I just watched Babel. Maybe it's me but basically it was a good story...that centered a crochity old white woman getting shot in the neck and the police force from the middle east, japan, and the united states frantically tried to save her. I mean come on! If this country hasn't learned or doesn't know by now that the white woman is the reason and subsequently the Ok so I just watched Babel. Maybe it's me but basically it was a good story...that centered a crochity old white woman getting shot in the neck and the police force from the middle east, japan, and the united states frantically tried to save her. I mean come on! If this country hasn't learned or doesn't know by now that the white woman is the reason and subsequently the downfall of this country then maybe they should watch this movie. Everybody who came in contact with these parasites was either killed, beaten, or arrested. Sure the Eastern kids shouldn't have been playing with a gun but what the fuck was a tourist bus doing out in the middle of the desert? Why do white people travel where they aren't wanted? I thought it was funny the passagers on the bus began to freak out because they were subject to loosing control, subject to not being mystified as white gods. Money doesn't by you safety, police anywhere can only beat to death so many people before the oppressed get tired of it. Here's this white supremacist feminine patriarch, who, as I've experienced women like her, pretend to have balls until they're someone comes along with bigger ones that is, hunched in a fetal position helpless while the world is literally in chaos. And don't forget the white kids. No maybe it was a bad choice for the housekeeper or nanny to take them to Mexico City with her...I would have just left the devil spawn and gone to my son's wedding. I can always get another job. Then she could have stayed over and if the same relative was going to drive her home the least he would have had was a hang over. I think this movie illustrated the problem with creating a social structure that caters to skin and bullies, if they can't kill you with kindness, or by you off, the rest of the world to follow along with their childish schemes. Expand
  20. JohnF.
    Jul 6, 2007
    Good story and pace with beleivable characters. I really enjoyed this movie.
  21. Chads.
    Aug 19, 2007
    i enjoyed this movie. it isnt the best movie ever, but its unique, memorable, and an overall entertaining story. the plot unfortunately can be slow at times, but if you are interested in babel you should check it out.
  22. AdamF.
    Nov 30, 2006
    Fantastic flick. Go see it.
  23. HumbertoT.
    Nov 6, 2006
    The recurring theme I found in this film is the difficulty of communication between us humans--whether due to language barriers, prejudices, and personal agendas. The main characters in each of the three storylines ultimately suffer due to the inability to make one's intentions and purposes understood by others. They are all victims of particular circumstances but the circumstances The recurring theme I found in this film is the difficulty of communication between us humans--whether due to language barriers, prejudices, and personal agendas. The main characters in each of the three storylines ultimately suffer due to the inability to make one's intentions and purposes understood by others. They are all victims of particular circumstances but the circumstances are in a way universal. The title of the film is itself a nod to this theme...after all 'Babel' was the biblical event in which God confounded the universal language so that mankind could no longer work together constructing a ziggurat that would reach the heavens...the film Babel offers no opinion as to the truth of that biblical tale, but rather a meditation on a state of affairs where it takes a crisis for people to truly listen to one another, and even then at times tragically fail to get the message. Expand
  24. VicG
    Dec 17, 2006
    Breathtaking cinematography. Claustrophobic. Makes you want to scream 'just shut up and listen'.
  25. TimM
    Dec 3, 2006
    This movie was awesome. i am definitely getting this on dvd. to maria, who says the themes are "illegal immigration, disablities, racial hatred, awakening sexuality, Americans & the rest of the world, parents & children just to mention a few" no, you're wrong. you are not looking at the big picture. this film is about communication and lack thereof, spanning all social levels. really This movie was awesome. i am definitely getting this on dvd. to maria, who says the themes are "illegal immigration, disablities, racial hatred, awakening sexuality, Americans & the rest of the world, parents & children just to mention a few" no, you're wrong. you are not looking at the big picture. this film is about communication and lack thereof, spanning all social levels. really really freakin good movie. this movie is different than 21 grams and amores perros, and i loved every second of all 3, tho 21 grams was the least ambitious in my opinion. Expand
  26. LouD.
    Oct 27, 2006
    Challenging, slow to unfold, yet ultimately rewarding. Logistically, the film-making process had to be a nightmare, which makes the end result more astounding. The acting was terrific and fearless, especially Rinko Kikuchi, and the sound was as much a charcter of the film as any of the credited cast.
  27. EmileDeB
    Oct 27, 2006
    I think this movie sucks...just kidding. This movie is beyond words. Mesmerizing and unsettling. The only thing I hope for now is that Brad gets that Oscar to put next to Angelina's. And not to make his ex-wife feel bad but simply because this was his best performance ever.
  28. SharmaH
    Oct 27, 2006
    Who knew Brad Pitt could act? This movie is a high point for him, as well as for director Alejandro González Iñárritu. Babel far surpasses Amores Perros. I never thought he'd be able to do that.
  29. JS
    Jan 2, 2007
    Haunting and in some ways profound. I found its somber tone and deliberate pace refreshing.
  30. GregR.
    Jan 29, 2007
    Don't try to "figure it out" as you watch, if you do, you will miss the whole meaning of the movie. Just go with it, the actual connections between the different groups of people and countries really doesn't matter anyway. Babel is the best movie I've seen in a years.

In the year's richest, most complex and ultimately most heartbreaking film, Inarritu invites us to get past the babble of modern civilization and start listening to each other.
  2. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    Effectively building dread and emotional tension as tragic incidents triggered by human stupidity and carelessness steadily multiply, this film, like "21 Grams" in particular, employs a deterministically grim mindset in the cause of its philosophical aspirations, but is gripping nearly all the way.
  3. The filmmakers succeed brilliantly in weaving these stories together, taking time to explore depth of character and relationships. The suspense builds throughout as everyone involved becomes lost in a place they don't understand with people they don't know if they can trust.