Universal Pictures | Release Date: July 3, 1985
9.0
Universal acclaim based on 530 Ratings
WATCH NOW
SwatiFeb 5, 2014
A teenager, Marty, finds himself in an accidental time travel into the past where he meets his parents who are young again. He has to create a romance between them so he could be born in the future. Dr. Brown, who invented the time machine inA teenager, Marty, finds himself in an accidental time travel into the past where he meets his parents who are young again. He has to create a romance between them so he could be born in the future. Dr. Brown, who invented the time machine in the future, is also his ally in the past, and together they must find a way to send him back to the future.

The story takes place in the same town. The world is a different place in the 1950s from the 80s. The dressing, speech, tastes in music, all of it. Marty, as he says himself, has a life in the future he wants to return to. The plot was intricate and the dialogue sharp and witty. The eccentric Doctor can't go a second without putting a smile on your face.

Marty's arrival in the past confuses a family living on a farm who take him for an alien. He flees from there and marches into the town still in his clothes from the future. At several instances, it is suggested that some of the popular culture was defined by Marty, such as skateboards and rock n roll.

Marty's father, George, is bullied by the same man, Biff, who is also bullying him in the future. Marty starts working on helping his father stand up for himself. He regularly comes into conflict with Biff.

George is afraid of any kind of social contact and Marty has his work cut out for him to convince him to ask his mother out so they could kiss and start a relationship. Much of the humour lies in Marty's struggles to spark fire between his parents which was messed up by his intervention.

His mother, who should have fallen in love with his father, instead becomes infatuated with him. His horror at this development is funny because you know this is a comedy film and everything will work out in the end.

'Back to the Future' is possibly one of the most entertaining movies about time travel, probably because it didn't delve into hard science and combined elements of both science fiction and comedy.
ScorpionMay 19, 2013
Its plot and the performances of C.Lloyd and MJFox pricipais are your strengths, and the movie sounds fun and not too serious What do makes it an epic science fiction.
DCMarvel18Jul 2, 2013
There is honestly too much to say about this spectacular piece of film! This movie is by far one of the greatest Sci-Fi movies of all-time and is also in my top 3 favorite movies of all-time. This movie has a great concept and plot that laterThere is honestly too much to say about this spectacular piece of film! This movie is by far one of the greatest Sci-Fi movies of all-time and is also in my top 3 favorite movies of all-time. This movie has a great concept and plot that later unfolds into one of the greatest storylines in the history of storylines. Michael J. Fox is fantastic as Marty McFly and delivers some of the most nostalgic acting I've ever seen, but my favorite performance was Christopher Lloyd's unforgettable, historic role as Dr. Emmett Brown. This character is what you get when you take one of the greatest actors ever and put them in your movie, you get one of the greatest movie characters in Science Fiction history. This movie mixes action with hints of comedy so perfectly that there isn't one point in the movie where you aren't interested in what is happening or what is about to happen. Back to the Future is a gem that should never be overlooked by any moviegoer ever. Expand
MovieGuysSep 19, 2013
A really good sci-fi film. Back To The Future takes its premise to the next level with some great effects and a fun, goofy feel to it, like it knows its limits, but tries to push its boundaries anyway.
VidyaBumApr 18, 2014
10/10 not because of utmost quality or incredible strengths but for an all-around flawless film.

I wouldn't say this movie shines particularly through any of its parts, whether it's acting, writing, directing, music, storytelling, for all these parts are equally very good.

The real strength of BttF is that it brings together an epic sci-fi story with emotional character involvement, lots of story threads that are brought together in a beautiful result and comedy to seal it all into one excellent flick.

It takes seeing the movie to see why exactly it is so good, but mainly, the thing that kept amazing me, besides Fox and Lloyd's excellent acting in their over-the-top comedic roles as a young courageous teenager and an old loony genius scientist, besides the value of a flawless time travel plot, besides the numerous moments where this movie made me laugh, made me awwww, or made me feel tension, the main excellency of this movie is how every bit of it is executed pretty much perfectly. Every foreshadowing is subtle, believable in the story and doesn't come off like a plot device. Every event or action in the movie makes perfect sense and is at the same time subtle and powerful. There isn't a time in Back to the Future 1 where I thought that something wasn't sensible or plausible, it all fits perfectly in a plot of great complexity that mixes romance, time traveling, science, and a lot of likeable characters of all types, nerdy George McFly, aspiring rockstar Marty McFly, Lorraine McFly, Doc Emmett Brown, and even Biff, the movie's main villain.

So it may not be the best movie ever, I mean other movies have been more memorable with one element or the other to me, but I certainly can't find a real flaw in it, it's a movie that's enjoyable in every one of its aspects and does every bit of the job just perfectly.
HaithamBAug 29, 2014
Back to the Future is a great movie. Smart, thought provoking and very exciting. Michael J. Fox and Christopher Lloyd's chemistry is great and very memorable. This movie is an INSTANT CLASSIC.
TheQuietGamerNov 2, 2013
It's easy to see why this is a classic. Humor and charming characters are what makes this so great. Fantastic performances are all around and it's not hard to be taken in by the films magic, especially during the tense third-act. If it doesIt's easy to see why this is a classic. Humor and charming characters are what makes this so great. Fantastic performances are all around and it's not hard to be taken in by the films magic, especially during the tense third-act. If it does have one flaw it's that this film has been to big of an influence for other time traveling science-fiction stories. A lot of the plot threads, like accidentally changing the events of the future, have been done to death as of today, and if you're like me and didn't watch this movie until many years after it has come out then this flaw becomes abundantly clear. Also the film gets surprisingly dark in content for one or two scenes (there's almost a rape). Overall it's a highly enjoyable film that had me laughing and on the edge of my seat. It may be a little familiar by todays standards, but it's still a great film and a classic. Expand
ThatCooperGuyJun 25, 2015
Is this movie dated? Kinda. But I think that's to the film's benefit. It's about time travel, so I think it's okay to feel dated. The movie is still charming and funny, plus the effects still hold up well. It's one of my favorite movies.
JacobMar 14, 2014
Do I need to say it Back to the Future is a great movie. It was a good story, wonderful characters, and fantastic presentation. See it if you haven’t already.
StevenFJul 7, 2013
A smile that is hard to fade is present after watching the blockbuster that is Back to the Future, a time-travelling adventure that explores every possible outcome for such a complex idea, but even through its many explanations and big wordsA smile that is hard to fade is present after watching the blockbuster that is Back to the Future, a time-travelling adventure that explores every possible outcome for such a complex idea, but even through its many explanations and big words of flux capacitors and things, there is such fun and messing around to be had, with added drama that equals to quite the varied film that fills itself with plenty to be entertained about.
Marty McFly (Michael J. Fox) is the seemingly average teen who lives with a family that is at the bottom of the food chain, something that only seems to bother Marty.
He has a friend in the form of scientist Emmet "Doc" Brown (Christopher Lloyd), who informs him that he has created a time machine, something Marty can only snort at but soon must believe the ridiculous nature of it and get himself out of a big problem, returning to the future with the unnecessary tools to do so after he has accidentally landed in 1955. But the opportunities he has while trying to fix the DeLorean time machine are endless as he has the chance to repair the circumstances to which his mother and father met and to perhaps changes their fortunes, but this is going against the warnings his friend Doc outlines to him, that he cannot get involved in any situations that may alter the future as these could have dyer consequences.
The almost impeccable writing and direction from Robert Zemeckis promote a changing of the winds in science fiction film, he has played with the idea of time travel but delivered an energetic and larger than life story that is bursting with jokes, pop culture references and characters who all have their own traits that will change their fate, Lea Thompson plays the hilarious Lorraine McFly, mother to Marty, but someone who, in 1955, has the hots for the man who has travelled back in time, her son.
Whether she is swooning after him or remarking on the nature of having your own name on your underwear (she thinks his name is Calvin Klein), her chemistry along with her future husband George (Crispin Glover), is a nice emotional kick for the film. But the real magic comes from Chris Lloyd and Michael J. Fox, who not only create to iconic characters, but also ones who are enjoyable to watch and easy to quote.
The film boasts excellent effects and a riveting score, and for re-watch value it is unmatched. A real gem can be hard to find in the current onslaught of big budget films, but Back to the Future set the benchmark and keeps on giving time and time again.
Iky009Jan 5, 2014
Um dos filmes mais divertidos de todos os tempos.Um dos filmes mais divertidos de todos os tempos. Expand
survivorfan989May 14, 2013
I'd seen this film before along with the other two but not for a while so I decided to refresh my memory on them. What a creative idea these films are! There is so much to like about it with all the twists and turns, and likable charactersI'd seen this film before along with the other two but not for a while so I decided to refresh my memory on them. What a creative idea these films are! There is so much to like about it with all the twists and turns, and likable characters and great acting. It's a little hard to follow at times, and I had to research bits about the ending; but overall it's a solid film and a classic 80's one as well (and could possibly be my favourite film from that era) and a must-see for sure! Expand
CheckGamesListSep 15, 2013
Back to the Future really painted a nice plot that filled itself in at every point. The imagination and creativity was quite outstanding. Some of the ideas feel a little used, however this is 2013, and many of them were partially introducedBack to the Future really painted a nice plot that filled itself in at every point. The imagination and creativity was quite outstanding. Some of the ideas feel a little used, however this is 2013, and many of them were partially introduced by this movie. Overall, I quite liked the original storyline. Expand
DibbHansenJul 18, 2013
This film is a classic- everything about it is genius. The script is sensational and totally original in every way, creating one entertaining thing after another. The music is inspiring, the comedy is hilarious, the acting is amazing (fromThis film is a classic- everything about it is genius. The script is sensational and totally original in every way, creating one entertaining thing after another. The music is inspiring, the comedy is hilarious, the acting is amazing (from all members). This film is a huge hit that will entertain forever more in the future. Expand
8bitParadoxJan 18, 2014
[REUPLOAD]
[REUPLOAD]
TheDarkKnight22Sep 8, 2014
Ever since this movie was released, it was an instant classic. The Movie has great acting, great story and is one of the most enjoyable movies of all time.
cag11Nov 29, 2013
It has a good bit of science fiction mixed with a comedy that made this movie one of my favorites. It does have some cheesy moments, but of coarse, this was an older movie. It has a good plot, with fairly good acting. There are some thingsIt has a good bit of science fiction mixed with a comedy that made this movie one of my favorites. It does have some cheesy moments, but of coarse, this was an older movie. It has a good plot, with fairly good acting. There are some things that you will miss the first few times you see this movie. Expand
eagleeyevikingNov 29, 2013
Back to the Future is funny and inventive, providing a lot of humour and interesting, well-acted characters to serve its truly unique plot which would serve as a benchmark for other future science fiction films.
XxC_GamingxXDec 16, 2013
This movie is a classic.
The characters are very unique, The story is very good as well the concept is very interesting.
If you love a good sci-fi, this is a film for you. Overall a great film for almost anyone to enjoy

Rating 10/10
-C_
LensesDec 29, 2013
While the same cannot be said for it's sequels, the original Back To The Future is a timeless film that retains all of it's 80s charm 30+ years later. The special effects could use a touch up in the recent blu-ray release, but there is alsoWhile the same cannot be said for it's sequels, the original Back To The Future is a timeless film that retains all of it's 80s charm 30+ years later. The special effects could use a touch up in the recent blu-ray release, but there is also nothing wrong with staying true to the original. BTTF, along with Goonies, Gremlins, Ferris Beullers Day Off and The Breakfast Club are like time-capsules to that time in the 80s when science fiction was fresh and fun and being a cool teenager was lifes highest aspiration. Like all of those films, Back To The Future will leave a smile on your face every time. Expand
ibadukefanDec 15, 2013
The genius here cannot be understated. Films like this get made all the time and flop but this one hit the nail on the head. There are more memorable lines and scenes from this movie than all the other movies from 1986 combined! Doc BrownThe genius here cannot be understated. Films like this get made all the time and flop but this one hit the nail on the head. There are more memorable lines and scenes from this movie than all the other movies from 1986 combined! Doc Brown was so fun to watch. Expand
lukechristianscMar 14, 2014
as if back to the future at the end it always has another movie . i like back to the future it is very creative and always gets better every second including biff the guy who calls everyone a but head
Meth-dudeJun 6, 2017
This movie is a timeless classic. The story was predictable, but the rest was very good. It was funny, the characters were fun, the movie was entertaining and the soundtrack was good. It's an excellent movie that made it through the test of time.
Jiano74Jan 24, 2016
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Even though this was released 11 years before I was born and entertainment before I was born is something I don't venture into this is a brilliant film. Seeing him get into the DeLorean and hit 88 mph and go to 1955 made me want to find a DeLorean and travel to not only the past to the 70s and 80s when my parents were the age of Marty's but also to the future a truly brilliant classic film. I also loved Keith Lemon's small parody as well. Expand
CuptralCritiqueMar 20, 2015
One of my favourite movies of all time! It's funny! It's well put together! Michael J. Fox does a fantastic job as Marty McFly, and Christopher Lloyd does a fantastic job as Doc Brown. I thought the story was tense, and extremely well done.One of my favourite movies of all time! It's funny! It's well put together! Michael J. Fox does a fantastic job as Marty McFly, and Christopher Lloyd does a fantastic job as Doc Brown. I thought the story was tense, and extremely well done. The way the past version of Hill Valley was sort of a parallel version of Hill Valley from 1985 was really smart, and using the clock tower which had been hinted to before was a great tie in. The ending was already pretty good, and then Doc Brown said "Where we're going, we don't need roads..." and the movie was officially made by that one line. However, nothing can be flawless, as there are some problems. First off, Biff was generic, and didn't have much character. I wish they had expanded on him. Also, the old people make-up on Marty's parents and Biff at the beginning of the movie isn't very good, and there's really no explanation for why the teacher hates Marty so much. Like I said, Biff is stereotypical, and Biff is an extremely cliche bully name. The closest thing to a plot hole that I can find is the fact that no one saw the car disappear when the lightning hit. I mean....really? It's especially "convenient" when it occurred RIGHT NEXT TO A SCHOOL DANCE, A.K.A, a very crowded place. Now that I think about it, technically at the end of the movie, Marty's family are totally different from who they'd been before, and Marty has no memories with them, which is pretty sad. Overall, in the future, I'll always come back to this movie. BACK TO THE FUTURE!

Just as a side-note, I would have given this movie an 8.5 if Metacritic allowed for decimal ratings. The last thing I will say, is that Back to the Future had great music!
vikesh2206Nov 9, 2014
Niceguy3210Jan 3, 2016
Popular opinion says this is the best movie in the trilogy, but the second movie is my favourite. It is, however an exceptional movie. Still my favourite trilogy of all time.
SythusRATINGSOct 18, 2014
Marty McFly goes back in time, in a DeLorean invented by his friend, Dr. Emmett Brown, and must make sure his high-school-age parents get together, so he doesn't cease to exist.
MattBrady99Oct 20, 2015
Dr. Emmett Brown: "If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious ****

Marty Mcfly's loony friend, Doc Brown, invents a time machine in which Marty is accidentally sent back to 1955, the same year his parents meet.

Back to the Future is one of the greatest movies ever made. The movie is hilarious, it's directed magnificently by Robert Zemeckis and the chemistry between Marty and Doc well just perfect.
MrMovieBuffAug 22, 2016
Time travel has never looked so cool, but there's always consequences galore in Robert Zemeckis' 'Back to the Future', a movie about a young kid who travels back to the 1950s and meets his parents when they were his age, and must make hisTime travel has never looked so cool, but there's always consequences galore in Robert Zemeckis' 'Back to the Future', a movie about a young kid who travels back to the 1950s and meets his parents when they were his age, and must make his future secure again.

We meet out hero, Marty McFly (Michael J. Fox) who is a typical 1980s teenager that hangs around with a scientist, Dr. Emmett Brown (Christopher Lloyd), and he has a girlfriend, Jennifer (Claudia Wells). Marty lives at home with his somewhat dysfunctional family, including his loser father, George (Crispin Glover), who often gets bullied by Biff Tannen (Thomas F. Wilson), and his cynical mother, Lorraine (Lea Thompson).

One night, after the doctor invents a time machine in the form of a DeLorean, and tests it successfully, an incident occurs which leads Marty to get in the car and ends up travelling back to November 1955.

Marty then runs into the younger versions of his parents, who at the time, still haven't met yet. He also tries to get help from the younger version of Dr. Brown to assist him getting back to the year 1985.

The movie is wildly clever in regards to how it discusses the logic of time travel and what could happen if one was to travel back in time and alternate history. The special effects in this movie are top-notch and perfectly timed. It is a gorgeous film to look at, and the way it captures the 1950s era with its setting can really feel like the movie has taken you back in time.

It uses the comedy very well in regards to its subject, and Michael J. Fox and Christopher Lloyd share terrific chemistry as the teenager and crazy-smart scientist. 'Back to the Future' is, in short, a classic.