Universal Pictures | Release Date: July 3, 1985
9.0
Universal acclaim based on 508 Ratings
WATCH NOW
SwatiFeb 5, 2014
A teenager, Marty, finds himself in an accidental time travel into the past where he meets his parents who are young again. He has to create a romance between them so he could be born in the future. Dr. Brown, who invented the time machine inA teenager, Marty, finds himself in an accidental time travel into the past where he meets his parents who are young again. He has to create a romance between them so he could be born in the future. Dr. Brown, who invented the time machine in the future, is also his ally in the past, and together they must find a way to send him back to the future.

The story takes place in the same town. The world is a different place in the 1950s from the 80s. The dressing, speech, tastes in music, all of it. Marty, as he says himself, has a life in the future he wants to return to. The plot was intricate and the dialogue sharp and witty. The eccentric Doctor can't go a second without putting a smile on your face.

Marty's arrival in the past confuses a family living on a farm who take him for an alien. He flees from there and marches into the town still in his clothes from the future. At several instances, it is suggested that some of the popular culture was defined by Marty, such as skateboards and rock n roll.

Marty's father, George, is bullied by the same man, Biff, who is also bullying him in the future. Marty starts working on helping his father stand up for himself. He regularly comes into conflict with Biff.

George is afraid of any kind of social contact and Marty has his work cut out for him to convince him to ask his mother out so they could kiss and start a relationship. Much of the humour lies in Marty's struggles to spark fire between his parents which was messed up by his intervention.

His mother, who should have fallen in love with his father, instead becomes infatuated with him. His horror at this development is funny because you know this is a comedy film and everything will work out in the end.

'Back to the Future' is possibly one of the most entertaining movies about time travel, probably because it didn't delve into hard science and combined elements of both science fiction and comedy.
ScorpionMay 19, 2013
Its plot and the performances of C.Lloyd and MJFox pricipais are your strengths, and the movie sounds fun and not too serious What do makes it an epic science fiction.
DibbHansenJul 18, 2013
This film is a classic- everything about it is genius. The script is sensational and totally original in every way, creating one entertaining thing after another. The music is inspiring, the comedy is hilarious, the acting is amazing (fromThis film is a classic- everything about it is genius. The script is sensational and totally original in every way, creating one entertaining thing after another. The music is inspiring, the comedy is hilarious, the acting is amazing (from all members). This film is a huge hit that will entertain forever more in the future. Expand
TheDarkKnight22Sep 8, 2014
Ever since this movie was released, it was an instant classic. The Movie has great acting, great story and is one of the most enjoyable movies of all time.
cag11Nov 29, 2013
It has a good bit of science fiction mixed with a comedy that made this movie one of my favorites. It does have some cheesy moments, but of coarse, this was an older movie. It has a good plot, with fairly good acting. There are some thingsIt has a good bit of science fiction mixed with a comedy that made this movie one of my favorites. It does have some cheesy moments, but of coarse, this was an older movie. It has a good plot, with fairly good acting. There are some things that you will miss the first few times you see this movie. Expand
XxC_GamingxXDec 16, 2013
This movie is a classic.
The characters are very unique, The story is very good as well the concept is very interesting.
If you love a good sci-fi, this is a film for you. Overall a great film for almost anyone to enjoy

Rating 10/10
-C_
LensesDec 29, 2013
While the same cannot be said for it's sequels, the original Back To The Future is a timeless film that retains all of it's 80s charm 30+ years later. The special effects could use a touch up in the recent blu-ray release, but there is alsoWhile the same cannot be said for it's sequels, the original Back To The Future is a timeless film that retains all of it's 80s charm 30+ years later. The special effects could use a touch up in the recent blu-ray release, but there is also nothing wrong with staying true to the original. BTTF, along with Goonies, Gremlins, Ferris Beullers Day Off and The Breakfast Club are like time-capsules to that time in the 80s when science fiction was fresh and fun and being a cool teenager was lifes highest aspiration. Like all of those films, Back To The Future will leave a smile on your face every time. Expand
ibadukefanDec 15, 2013
The genius here cannot be understated. Films like this get made all the time and flop but this one hit the nail on the head. There are more memorable lines and scenes from this movie than all the other movies from 1986 combined! Doc BrownThe genius here cannot be understated. Films like this get made all the time and flop but this one hit the nail on the head. There are more memorable lines and scenes from this movie than all the other movies from 1986 combined! Doc Brown was so fun to watch. Expand
VidyaBumApr 18, 2014
10/10 not because of utmost quality or incredible strengths but for an all-around flawless film.

The real strength of BttF is that it brings together an epic sci-fi story with emotional character involvement, lots of story threads that are brought together in a beautiful result and comedy to seal it all into one excellent flick.

It takes seeing the movie to see why exactly it is so good, but mainly, the thing that kept amazing me, besides Fox and Lloyd's excellent acting in their over-the-top comedic roles as a young courageous teenager and an old loony genius scientist, besides the value of a flawless time travel plot, besides the numerous moments where this movie made me laugh, made me awwww, or made me feel tension, the main excellency of this movie is how every bit of it is executed pretty much perfectly. Every foreshadowing is subtle, believable in the story and doesn't come off like a plot device. Every event or action in the movie makes perfect sense and is at the same time subtle and powerful. There isn't a time in Back to the Future 1 where I thought that something wasn't sensible or plausible, it all fits perfectly in a plot of great complexity that mixes romance, time traveling, science, and a lot of likeable characters of all types, nerdy George McFly, aspiring rockstar Marty McFly, Lorraine McFly, Doc Emmett Brown, and even Biff, the movie's main villain.

So it may not be the best movie ever, I mean other movies have been more memorable with one element or the other to me, but I certainly can't find a real flaw in it, it's a movie that's enjoyable in every one of its aspects and does every bit of the job just perfectly.
HaithamBAug 29, 2014
Back to the Future is a great movie. Smart, thought provoking and very exciting. Michael J. Fox and Christopher Lloyd's chemistry is great and very memorable. This movie is an INSTANT CLASSIC.
Niceguy3210Jan 3, 2016
Popular opinion says this is the best movie in the trilogy, but the second movie is my favourite. It is, however an exceptional movie. Still my favourite trilogy of all time.
SythusRATINGSOct 18, 2014
Marty McFly goes back in time, in a DeLorean invented by his friend, Dr. Emmett Brown, and must make sure his high-school-age parents get together, so he doesn't cease to exist.
MattBrady99Oct 20, 2015
Dr. Emmett Brown: "If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious ****

Marty Mcfly's loony friend, Doc Brown, invents a time machine in which Marty is accidentally sent back to 1955, the same year his parents meet.

Back to the Future is one of the greatest movies ever made. The movie is hilarious, it's directed magnificently by Robert Zemeckis and the chemistry between Marty and Doc well just perfect.
BaganLeleoMar 15, 2015
My favorite movie of all time, The acting is amazing with Christopher Lloyd, Michael J Fox, and the rest of the cast. The story is very interesting, if not confusing at times, and it's interesting to see show events turn out in the futureMy favorite movie of all time, The acting is amazing with Christopher Lloyd, Michael J Fox, and the rest of the cast. The story is very interesting, if not confusing at times, and it's interesting to see show events turn out in the future with the choices that Marty makes in the past Expand
VinceRocks123Jun 24, 2015
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Robert Zemekis' three dimensional time defying sci-fi thriller has really aged well for the last 30 years, and with its special anniversary coming up, we look back at the adventures thrills this must see masterpiece had to offer.

Michael J. Fox in his biggest break, plays the flamboyant 80s teen wonder Marty McFly who wishes to hit a big break of his own and cease being the school loser, but when the eccentric scientist Dr. Emmet Brown(Christopher Lloyds)'s new time travel car is unveiled a series of unfortunate events sends Marty on the most unexpected situation of his life when he is sent back to 1955.

In a desperate mission to return back to the present (1985) Marty enlists the help of a younger Dr. Brown as well as the power of the notorious lightning bolt that will disable the town's clock tower on this faithful week in town history, (also his only one way meal ticket back to the present) to get back and get things right again.

But soon Marty's future soon becomes in danger when Lorraine Baines (Lea Thompson) the girl who would be his mother becomes lovestruck by him, he must convince her to hook up with George McFly the boy who would be Marty's father, who in an another bad situation is also the town's loser and his biggest rival being Lorraine's ex-boyfriend and school bully Biff.

There is comedy, sci-fi, romance, thrills, and lots of SUSPENSE!! as well as history and 100% nostalgia that will make you laugh and cry, a touching family venture that still astounds audiences in more ways than one! a film that is too good for me it never seems to get old either the best film of the 80s!
xcvxJun 7, 2015
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Marty is a normal highschool student in Hill Valley. He likes a rock n rall and skateboard, and get a great friend, Doc Brown who convert 'DeLorean-car' to 'DeLorean-timemachine.' One day, terrorist assult Doc Brown and Marty bacause of plutonium. Doc get a gunshot, and Marty drive the DeLorean until 88mile per hour to rewind 30 years, for changing today. After Marty arrive the past, he tries to save Brown, but he doesn`t accept his suggestion. Doing that, Marty take a chance that meet his parents, but he get in the trouble related his life.

Because he go back to the past, Brown save his life and black mayor get errected. It is 'today' to Marty but 'past' to Brown and other people. Therefore, I think Marty change only one thing, his family. In Marty`s past, they got unfair treatment, but, in Marty`s future, they become a high class.

Watching this movie, I take a long time to think about time travel. I want to ask one question to you, If you go back to the past, can you change something in today? My answer is no, because all about today`s situations are caused by past things` conclutions. Your today is another`s past. However, in Back to the Future, Marty change his 1985s. In my opinion, it is just dramatic elements or the message that movie director want to send to audiences, "humans are strong as can change the future." (or not)
smartmartAug 24, 2015
An absolute classic! It has a great plot and script, hilarious comedy, and is very well executed. If you haven't seen, then what're waiting for!? Go see it! It's one of the best movies of all time!
SAVJun 27, 2015
Se qualcuno dovesse chiedermi quale sia il mio film preferito in assoluto la mia risposta sarebbe sicuramente Ritorno al Futuro. Una commedia fantascientifica avvincente, divertente ed emozionante che ha lasciato un segno indelebile nel mioSe qualcuno dovesse chiedermi quale sia il mio film preferito in assoluto la mia risposta sarebbe sicuramente Ritorno al Futuro. Una commedia fantascientifica avvincente, divertente ed emozionante che ha lasciato un segno indelebile nel mio cuore e che mi ha anche insegnato tante cose. Bellissimi effetti speciali, una colonna sonora straordinaria e tante, tantissime emozioni. Un vero capolavoro del cinema anni 80. Expand
kyle20ellisNov 5, 2015
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I wouldn't say this movie shines particularly through any of its parts, whether it's acting, writing, directing, music, storytelling, for all these parts are equally very good.

MrWonderfulOct 21, 2015
I watched this BttF series for the first time ever yesterday. The strange part is one of the "futures" the go to is Oct. 21 2015 which is TODAY! So how is these movies even about the future if it's not even the future? I give the movies a 10I watched this BttF series for the first time ever yesterday. The strange part is one of the "futures" the go to is Oct. 21 2015 which is TODAY! So how is these movies even about the future if it's not even the future? I give the movies a 10 anyway for the lols and that Marty kid is a good actor. I hope he does more movies in the future. Expand
Duke_NukemOct 19, 2015
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Who hasn't fantasized as a child about travelling back and forth in time? Back to the Future makes this dream reality, or at least it shows what could happen if we would ever be able to travel in time. It would undoubtedly bring chaos in our lives, and that's exactly what happens to Marty McFly.

Michael J. Fox as Marty McFly and Christopher Lloyd as Dr. Emmett Brown are fantastic! Lloyd is very funny as the goofy and crazy professor, he seems the perfect actor to play crazy roles (think Cheers).

Marty McFly has to make sure his future parents will fall in love in the past, otherwise he wont even be born. And if he wont be born then how will he be able to travel to the past to make sure his parents will fall in love?

One of the best comedies from the eighties, if you haven't seen it travel back to 1985 and watch it immediately!
ZNLK111Aug 14, 2016
It's almost impossible to hate on this. A sci if comedy with an appeal to all stereotypes is the best idea in the world. It has a great plot, memorable characters, and some special effects that have aged well. This is a masterpiece thatIt's almost impossible to hate on this. A sci if comedy with an appeal to all stereotypes is the best idea in the world. It has a great plot, memorable characters, and some special effects that have aged well. This is a masterpiece that defined the 80s strongly and has massive re-watch value. Expand
AndrewLambertApr 13, 2016
A truly timeless family favourite, Back To The Future is one of those universally charming movies filled with an eternal childlike wonder that will never go out of style.
FuturedirectorMar 22, 2016
Back to the future mix comedy, thriller and credible science-fiction to put the audience in shock with these unforgettable characters and awesome story-telling, that anyone would love. Maybe some people would think this film has an stupidBack to the future mix comedy, thriller and credible science-fiction to put the audience in shock with these unforgettable characters and awesome story-telling, that anyone would love. Maybe some people would think this film has an stupid plot, but it's classic, anyway. I very unforgettable classic of the master Steven Spielberg. Expand
FanBoyCritic1Mar 24, 2016
Where are we going this time,were going back to the future. Robert Zemeckis greatest trilogy ever made is known as Back to The Future in this first ever great creation directed by Robert Zemeckis is about a boy who is friends with a wackyWhere are we going this time,were going back to the future. Robert Zemeckis greatest trilogy ever made is known as Back to The Future in this first ever great creation directed by Robert Zemeckis is about a boy who is friends with a wacky scientist known as Dr. Emmett Brown who created things that never accomplished any of his creations but in this film he creates one best things of mankind his greatest creation was an adventure with a time traveling car that takes you back to the future and his friend Marty goes back in time in the year 1955 were he first trys to find the Dr. but then creates a problem by saving his father his mother dosent know his dad and she has a crush on her son so Marty must bring his parents to the prom and go back to the future. Expand
MasterRileyJul 22, 2016
Back to the Future is a classic. It is a very delightful film from start to finish that I truly didn't want to end. Great writing, great casting, great performances, cool costume and production design, and catchy music all help to make thisBack to the Future is a classic. It is a very delightful film from start to finish that I truly didn't want to end. Great writing, great casting, great performances, cool costume and production design, and catchy music all help to make this film as awesome as it is. Its got some great laughs and a whole lot of fun throughout. A must see for everyone. Expand
ItsLarryAug 10, 2016
One of the most enjoyable films to watch of all time. The script for this film is so tight an well written and has perfect casting too. Character interactions don't get much better than Michael J. Fox as Marty and Christopher Lloyd as Doc.One of the most enjoyable films to watch of all time. The script for this film is so tight an well written and has perfect casting too. Character interactions don't get much better than Michael J. Fox as Marty and Christopher Lloyd as Doc. Brown and the two play wonderfully off each other. The scenarios are so out there and creative and you'll be eager for more. A must see film for all ages and a timeless classic. Expand
gta3lcpdOct 26, 2016
If my calculations are correct, BACK TO THE FUTURE is one of the best damn movies of all-time, and ranks on my list as the 2nd best. I'm not a big sci-fi fan, but i love comedy, and this one goes kind of subtle on the sci-fi, and heavy on theIf my calculations are correct, BACK TO THE FUTURE is one of the best damn movies of all-time, and ranks on my list as the 2nd best. I'm not a big sci-fi fan, but i love comedy, and this one goes kind of subtle on the sci-fi, and heavy on the adventure and comedy! It's got a sense of humor, creativity, and spirit that most other movies don't have, and I love it! It's got Marty McFly (played by Stuart Little himself), who is accidentally sent back in time in his meth addict scientist best friend, Doc Brown's (played by an old guy) DeLorean time machine. DeLorean you ask? Well, sh*t, if you're going back in time, might as well do it with some style! Anyway, he gets sent back to 1955, where his future mother gets the serious hots for him, which is pretty awkward. And while she's gettin' wet over her future son, I'm trying to conceal a hard-on as I watch the movie surrounded by family and friend. I mean, really, Lea Thompson was a babe back in 1985 when this movie came out. I mean, she was pissin' hot! So, Marty has to hook up his parents, and makes some plan to get his future parents to fall in love at the Fish Under the Sea Dance, while staying one step ahead of that dumbass bully Stiff, I mean Biff Tannen (played by some Catholic comedian). Meanwhile, Doc from 1955 has to figure out how to get Marty back to 1985, and Marty has to warn Doc that he's going to get his ass blown by some Muslims! It's confusing, but you'll watch it, understand, and it'll be the best movie you've ever seen (unless, of course, you've seen JAWS, in which case, it's either way). So, it's a great movie, and the following trilogy was, overall, pretty good. If you love, action/adventure, romance, comedy, sci-fi, it's got all of that, and then some! BACK TO THE FUTURE will have you on the edge of your ass, laughing your dick off! It's awesome. Just watch. Expand
StevenFJul 7, 2013
A smile that is hard to fade is present after watching the blockbuster that is Back to the Future, a time-travelling adventure that explores every possible outcome for such a complex idea, but even through its many explanations and big wordsA smile that is hard to fade is present after watching the blockbuster that is Back to the Future, a time-travelling adventure that explores every possible outcome for such a complex idea, but even through its many explanations and big words of flux capacitors and things, there is such fun and messing around to be had, with added drama that equals to quite the varied film that fills itself with plenty to be entertained about.
Marty McFly (Michael J. Fox) is the seemingly average teen who lives with a family that is at the bottom of the food chain, something that only seems to bother Marty.
He has a friend in the form of scientist Emmet "Doc" Brown (Christopher Lloyd), who informs him that he has created a time machine, something Marty can only snort at but soon must believe the ridiculous nature of it and get himself out of a big problem, returning to the future with the unnecessary tools to do so after he has accidentally landed in 1955. But the opportunities he has while trying to fix the DeLorean time machine are endless as he has the chance to repair the circumstances to which his mother and father met and to perhaps changes their fortunes, but this is going against the warnings his friend Doc outlines to him, that he cannot get involved in any situations that may alter the future as these could have dyer consequences.
The almost impeccable writing and direction from Robert Zemeckis promote a changing of the winds in science fiction film, he has played with the idea of time travel but delivered an energetic and larger than life story that is bursting with jokes, pop culture references and characters who all have their own traits that will change their fate, Lea Thompson plays the hilarious Lorraine McFly, mother to Marty, but someone who, in 1955, has the hots for the man who has travelled back in time, her son.
Whether she is swooning after him or remarking on the nature of having your own name on your underwear (she thinks his name is Calvin Klein), her chemistry along with her future husband George (Crispin Glover), is a nice emotional kick for the film. But the real magic comes from Chris Lloyd and Michael J. Fox, who not only create to iconic characters, but also ones who are enjoyable to watch and easy to quote.
The film boasts excellent effects and a riveting score, and for re-watch value it is unmatched. A real gem can be hard to find in the current onslaught of big budget films, but Back to the Future set the benchmark and keeps on giving time and time again.
Iky009Jan 5, 2014
Um dos filmes mais divertidos de todos os tempos.Um dos filmes mais divertidos de todos os tempos. Expand