Bad Boys II

4.1

1. Nov 11, 2010
    Will Smith is good. Martin Lawrence is mehh. The first one was bad enough, and this was like that but with more/worse action scenes and a frustrating story. I didn't like.
  2. Nov 13, 2012
    Dime a dozen, action-packed refuse.
  3. Nov 7, 2012
    This could be the worst film Michael Bay ever made. What does THAT tell you?
  4. Dec 6, 2012
    It's easy to tell when you're watching a Michael Bay movie, particularly from post-90s Bay. He is a straight-up action junkie, and "Bad Boys II" is perhaps as much of an action flick as you could get, flying from one scene to the next in a visually pompous, grandiose and sometimes distracting style. Bay's lack of proof at delivering good acting is saved to a certain extent here by theIt's easy to tell when you're watching a Michael Bay movie, particularly from post-90s Bay. He is a straight-up action junkie, and "Bad Boys II" is perhaps as much of an action flick as you could get, flying from one scene to the next in a visually pompous, grandiose and sometimes distracting style. Bay's lack of proof at delivering good acting is saved to a certain extent here by the always-enjoyable Will Smith and sometimes-enjoyable Martin Lawrence, and the plot is - as usual - written to serve action and visual interest rather than characters and compelling suspense. Also signature of Bay here is a well-rounded melting pot of pubescence and common denominators - the screen is bursting at the seams virtually every minute with frenetic car chases and gunfights, bloody shootings, pissed off characters in love with profanity and the camera's adolescent adoration for sexual imagery and innuendo. Hell, in this round Bay treats himself to a substantial amount of somewhat disturbing mortuary humor and cadaver carnage, even resorting to throwing fat dead bodies off the back of a truck and watching them subsequently squashed and mutilated by traffic.

Still, despite all the over-the-line black comedy and lack of any substantive character development or plotwriting, the action scenes are mostly a lot of fun, and it's still nice to see car chases and massive destruction that isn't just CGI. True, you do have some computer cars swerving and tumbling down highways in a mayhem that likely defies many laws of physics, but you also have a Hummer careening madly down a hill of shacks and houses, followed by trails of explosions and enemy gunfire. Even when led by Will Smith, this can never make for great filmmaking, but this is Michael Bay at his adolescent best, and in this movie he can be largely forgiven for his momentary transgressions due to the overall popcorn factor of the flick. Just be warned - if you don't have the stomach for brutal bloody violence, hundreds of F-words, or hiding under sheets with dead big-breasted cadavers, "Bad Boys II" will not be your cup of tea. If you don't mind a barrage of mindless teenage eye candy, then perhaps you'll find this a treat. For me, I give it a rating straight down the middle. Fun action, some funny moments, and nice special effects, but stuffed with meatless filler of a plot. Okay, but not that great.
  5. DanielC.
    Oct 4, 2003
    Well, what can i say? im writing this review not entirely because of the film i watched but more as a counselling session to get a few things off my chest. Firstly, to all those who gave this film a low score, complaining about its loudness, violence, plot and other nonsense, i would like to ask one question. What film did you think you were going to watch? If it were a romantic comedy, Well, what can i say? im writing this review not entirely because of the film i watched but more as a counselling session to get a few things off my chest. Firstly, to all those who gave this film a low score, complaining about its loudness, violence, plot and other nonsense, i would like to ask one question. What film did you think you were going to watch? If it were a romantic comedy, or a family film, then your reviews are justifiable. But this was an action comedy film. Yes read my words ACTION COMEDY, thats A, C, T, I, O, N..... you get the point. So now you need to ask yourself, was there action? Yes, bundles. Was it exciting action? Yes, more than any other action film this year, including The Matrix reloaded, and finally was it funny? Yes, in most parts hilarious. Lawerance and Smith have perfect on screen chemistry, reacting well to one anothers over excitable personalities. The film is indeed loud, but that is because of the numerous explosions and bulletts firing throughout this ACTION film, what did you expect?. Is it violent, yes it is, perhaps going over the top on a few occasions (the running over of dead boddies was excessive and relatively pointless), but in general the violence is so stylish and the cinematography so spot on that its hard to take offence. I know people will now say, 'Oh stylish violence. They are gloryfying it'! and go on to suggest that everyone watching will go out and want to shoot someone, well this is nonsense. People shoot people because they are IDIOTS not because they watched a film. My final gripe is this, Chad s reviews this film and suggests it is racist. This is possibly the most ridiculous comment I have ever read. Firstly, in case you failed to notice, the two leads are black, and they are the coolest, funniest and most stylish characters in the movie. Whilst the majority of the bad guys were white. As for Chad S' comment about the little reaction shown following the chase through the shanty town and suggesting that there would have been a different outcome if the homes belonged to white people, this is unbelievable. Chad S have you never seen an action film before? Bullets fly, bombs go off and cars crash into things. If the film stopped to survey what had happened and do interviews with every victim, most films would never finish and the final killing would be the audience being bored to death. Well there you go, i can relax now, and say role on Bad Boys 3. Whilst all of you who slated this film can sit back, relax and look forward to the next pixar release, which is likely to be an animated family comedy, just in case you think of reviewing it as if it were a horror movie! Expand
  6. May 12, 2015
    A film too long he wants to show. The jokes are ok but a little exaggerated action sequences .
  7. ChadS.
    Aug 5, 2003
    If Bay replaced the cadavers with dead golden retrievers as grist for the turning wheels, would that awaken us to the grotesquerie of this entertainment ploy? "Bad Boys II" is ugly, and dishonest when the reality of such violence needs to be shown. During the car chase that nearly decimates an entire shanty-town, not one resident is shown being mowed down. You make the inference that If Bay replaced the cadavers with dead golden retrievers as grist for the turning wheels, would that awaken us to the grotesquerie of this entertainment ploy? "Bad Boys II" is ugly, and dishonest when the reality of such violence needs to be shown. During the car chase that nearly decimates an entire shanty-town, not one resident is shown being mowed down. You make the inference that casualities occured, but a body count made explicit would force an admission of grief by Marcus and Mike. Would Bay and the screenwriters be this flippant about the lives of innocent bystanders if they were white? A trend seems to be developing with Ron Shelton-penned scripts. In "Hollywood Homicide", a truck driven by a man of Latino-descent is told to get out of the way when Ford almost crashes into the backing vehicle. What happens in "Bad Boys II" is a variation of the same theme, made doubly offensive because they're not illegal aliens in Southern California, but on native soil. "Bad Boys II" is vile. Expand
  8. ChrisK.
    Sep 10, 2003
    And why was this movie created?
  9. M.Molinari
    Dec 21, 2003
    Racist trash, for ignorant children. I'm sorry to see so many are entertained by this putrid excuse for a action movie. The young ones are complaining that it's good for a action movie. No it's not good even for a action movie. It's trash in any genre. Also when has bashing Latinos became comedy?
  10. Dec 6, 2011
    Despite all the cool buddy cop (slow-mo) action Michael Bay throws in, a Hollywood movie is a Hollywood movie. "Bad Boys 2" is a prime example of what a real time-consuming movie should be. No more, no less.
  11. AnsonG.
    Jun 10, 2006
    Yuck, this movie was totally overrated. It was awful and horrible film. Bad plot, boring, disgusting, better dont watch this.
  12. Jan 1, 2013
    one of the funniest, most energetic buddy-action films out there, bad boys ii is certainly cliched but, dayum is it satisfying to watch, the action scenes are like controlled chaos, the cast does a solid job, and the plot is actually comprehensible... unlike most action films today... if you still nurture that part of you that likes to see ass-kickings, shootouts, explosions, crashes, hotone of the funniest, most energetic buddy-action films out there, bad boys ii is certainly cliched but, dayum is it satisfying to watch, the action scenes are like controlled chaos, the cast does a solid job, and the plot is actually comprehensible... unlike most action films today... if you still nurture that part of you that likes to see ass-kickings, shootouts, explosions, crashes, hot women, etc. then you will have a hard time finding anything much better than this. Expand
  13. Mar 22, 2011
    Bad Boys, Bad Boys whatcha gonna do, whatcha gonna do when we come for you? Seriously, I don't get all the negativity towards this film. Its just a great action-comedy where Will Smith and Martin Lawrence are again in top form as Mike Lawrie and Marcus Barnett. In terms of entertainment this is non-stop action set at a fantastic pace. The story again focuses upon the Miami drug scene withBad Boys, Bad Boys whatcha gonna do, whatcha gonna do when we come for you? Seriously, I don't get all the negativity towards this film. Its just a great action-comedy where Will Smith and Martin Lawrence are again in top form as Mike Lawrie and Marcus Barnett. In terms of entertainment this is non-stop action set at a fantastic pace. The story again focuses upon the Miami drug scene with a new villain in Johnny Tapia the kingpin, set in motion Mike and Marcus to bring him down but what follows isn't just sheer entertainment its sex, violence and genuine laughter! Smith and Lawrence are awesome together. Bad Boys 2 is an instant classic which exceeds the original. Bring on Bad Boys 3!!! Expand
  14. Jun 14, 2014
    Possibly one of the worst movies ever. But it is funny as hell, and everyone (par any people of nervous dispositions) should watch this. Probably not worth buying, but one of the best, worst films, of all time.
  15. KevinM.
    Jan 29, 2007
    This movie is hard. Will Smith and Martin did there thing in this movie. Martin was funny as always and Will just set it off with his good drivin. Can't believe that was actually him who was dodging those cars.
  16. Dec 30, 2012
    I love Will Smith in all his movies but this was poor at times by Martin Lawrence. Pathetic at times but I have to give it an 8 since its a Will Smith movie. Without him I would give it a 4. There was some comedy in it that was actually funny. I posted the same thing on Bad Boys because I feel as though the movies were practically the same in many ways.
  17. Jan 29, 2015
    It's been almost 12 years since Bad Boys II hit theatres, and blew my mind. I don't even remember the noisy first movie, I just didn't like it that much, even though it has higher ratings. Bad Boys II completely changes the game by throwing in more drugs, sex and stupendously bloody violence, and boy was it entertaining. Michael Bay is one of the most disliked directors, okay, but with BB2It's been almost 12 years since Bad Boys II hit theatres, and blew my mind. I don't even remember the noisy first movie, I just didn't like it that much, even though it has higher ratings. Bad Boys II completely changes the game by throwing in more drugs, sex and stupendously bloody violence, and boy was it entertaining. Michael Bay is one of the most disliked directors, okay, but with BB2 he totally has realized a new genre of action thrillers on their own, for example- the car chases are the most best chases I have ever seen in a movie. He blends Lethal Weapon and Boyz In Da Hood and Pineapple Express together, and experiments with his movie elements. The result is a lush Miami setting, Will Smith and Martin Lawrence at their comedic best, a drug fulled story, car and gun chases, and sgexy women. What more could you want from an action movie. It's not a movie for serious critics or people who don't like action movies. BB2 is a hidden classic action flick, it's well paced, smartly written and brilliantly acted. The appeal is beautiful. And it still technically holds up in 2015. I hope the third one is good! The nose fun you will have watching a movie, period. Expand
  18. Sep 6, 2013
    Despite all the bad reviews coming from the critics, the sequel has more action and humor just like the first one! If you seen the first one, you may love it or hate it.
  19. A.K.
    Oct 16, 2003
    Great fast action movie which easily surpasses the original by far...ENJOY!!
  20. DanH.
    Dec 15, 2003
    This movie gives you a little of everything. If you can get into this movie you are either too old, or too conservative. Movies are here to be entertaining and that is what this movie does for you!!
  21. MaxoB.
    Oct 3, 2003
    This is one of the most offensive, unfunny, badly edited and poorly acted movies I have ever seen. Martin lawrence is not funny, period. Saying "f*ck" every 20 seconds is not amusing to anyone over the age of 12. The action scenes were cut so quickly that they were barely intelligible. Compare the awful car chases in bad Boys 2 to the gripping chase in The French Connection and This is one of the most offensive, unfunny, badly edited and poorly acted movies I have ever seen. Martin lawrence is not funny, period. Saying "f*ck" every 20 seconds is not amusing to anyone over the age of 12. The action scenes were cut so quickly that they were barely intelligible. Compare the awful car chases in bad Boys 2 to the gripping chase in The French Connection and you'll see what I mean. Bad Boys 2 is certainly "bad", only not in a good way. Expand
  22. RockyB.
    Oct 1, 2003
    Great movie, dont know y so many people hated it.
  23. UmanJ.
    Nov 6, 2003
    What a crappy movie. The acting performance is pathetic. It was like, they don't know their script so they just think of something out of nowhere. The comedy is not well put and not well acted. The first Bad Boys was acted well and was not over the top unlike Bad Boys 2. And the action.... sure it was impressive but goddamn, the action scenes where also way too long. It got boring What a crappy movie. The acting performance is pathetic. It was like, they don't know their script so they just think of something out of nowhere. The comedy is not well put and not well acted. The first Bad Boys was acted well and was not over the top unlike Bad Boys 2. And the action.... sure it was impressive but goddamn, the action scenes where also way too long. It got boring real easily. I hope Bad Boys 3 wil bring back the magic of the first Bad Boy. Expand
  24. BenP.
    Oct 3, 2003
    This movie was terrible! I agreed whole-heartedly with the Rolling Stone review, this movie is just dumbded-down, pre-packaged rubbish. Im 16 and live in England so its not like I'm some old bloke who wouldnt get all the gags, the movie woz purely unitelligent, completely unoriginal and entirely predictable. DONT go and see it, you'll be counting the seconds until the tedious 2 This movie was terrible! I agreed whole-heartedly with the Rolling Stone review, this movie is just dumbded-down, pre-packaged rubbish. Im 16 and live in England so its not like I'm some old bloke who wouldnt get all the gags, the movie woz purely unitelligent, completely unoriginal and entirely predictable. DONT go and see it, you'll be counting the seconds until the tedious 2 hrs 26 minutes is up. Expand
  25. RajS.
    Jul 17, 2003
    I really enjoyed this film. Although it may seem a little long at points, the action and comedy make it all worth while.
  26. D.C.
    Jul 20, 2003
    8 ball, get a life. this movie was so bad. it was packed with gay jokes, misogyny, too much violence and it was too long. I think Michael Bay and Jerry Bruchiemer should be banned from making movies.
  27. BrettS.
    Jul 20, 2003
    Great movie - the critics showed that they're a bit out of touch with reality on this one.
  28. Chris
    Aug 1, 2003
    An apoclyptic disgrace.
  29. #1STEELERFAN
    Aug 10, 2003
    GREAT ACTION!! FUNNY!! BETTER THAN THE FIRST!!! SEEN IT TWICE!!!
  30. ElmerFudd
    Aug 2, 2003
    Bay and Bruckheimer are like two politicians serving their constituency. Unfortunately, that constituency is made of knuckle-dragging, mouth-breathing, sub-literate, toothless hillbillies too thick to expect a plot or decent acting. ?Blow some stuff up, gross me out, and I?m happy!? With Bad Boys 2, Bay and Bruckheimer really came through for their crowd.
  31. BenM.
    Aug 28, 2003
    Good movie.
  32. JohnD.
    Sep 17, 2003
    For all you idots who gave it 0-5 you obviously a) havn't seen the 1st movie and don't get half the gags and b) don't know a good movie when you see one. Martin Lawrence is hilarious and Will Smith is a great actor. Top job all!
  33. AllisonF.
    Aug 20, 2004
    I love the movie.Martin Lawrence is my favorite actor. I can't wait till his next release!
  34. NicholasM.
    Feb 20, 2005
    One of the worst movies ever made, mean-spirited, homophobic and completely brain-dead.
  35. DavidS.
    Dec 11, 2006
    Product placement filled nonsense from Michael Bay and Jerry Bruckhiemer. Unintelligent, uninspired, derivative trash. Bottom line: THis movie was intended as som kind of action movie come comedy/buddy movie. In the end, it is mere nonsense. There are better movies of this type available.
  36. Tonydannie
    Jan 7, 2006
    One of the worse movies of all time. For the people who hated Matrix Reloaded. I tell you this. Bad Boys 2 makes Matrix Reloaded look LIke Godfather Prt. 2. How Many Carchases can you have in one movie?? And what is so special about Martin's sister?. Lets chase after her again and again and again. More car chases.. Yay!!!. I spit on this film...no wait.. i take that back..this is not One of the worse movies of all time. For the people who hated Matrix Reloaded. I tell you this. Bad Boys 2 makes Matrix Reloaded look LIke Godfather Prt. 2. How Many Carchases can you have in one movie?? And what is so special about Martin's sister?. Lets chase after her again and again and again. More car chases.. Yay!!!. I spit on this film...no wait.. i take that back..this is not a film. This is snuff!!! Expand
  37. Xterminator
    Dec 6, 2003
    36 is waay too low, come on it wasnt that bad. The action scenes are gr8, there where some bad jokes, some of them really made me rofl.
  38. CassandraH.
    Jul 17, 2003
    The movie is action-packed and it's funny. I loved it and I will go see it again!
  39. 8Ball
    Jul 18, 2003
    Yo, Martin and Will are my boys, you know what I'm saying? They make jokes I understand. The car chase is dope! I give it a 9 but I'm still 8 Ball.
  40. KobeeH.
    Jul 22, 2003
    Some of you guys and the critics have no idea of what an action movie should be. Bad boys 2 defines the genre. Another thing, the movie is NOT too long, I actually find it amazing how Bay and Bruckheimer kept the action, humor and story in general from getting lame after the 2 hour mark. Will and Martin feed off each other and it shows. The best summer movie hands down. Check it out!!!
  41. JoeB.
    Jul 20, 2003
    The movie had the whole theatre cracking up for the most part. The ending kinda sucked though.
  42. ChristinaC.
    Jul 27, 2003
    I thought this movie was the best. it has alot of action and when someone gets shot they dont block it. they let u see the bulett go in and come out. and plus u got the good lookin will smith.....hell yeah.
    Jul 30, 2003
    This movie is one of my favorite action movies ever. A little gorry at times but the movie is balanced by the hilarious Martin Lawrence. This movie is definitely a must see.
  44. TimA.
    Aug 1, 2003
    This movie was fun to watch. Had great action sequences, Will & Martin r always funny. The film had some voilent scenes though but alltogether fun movie to watch!
  45. MartinS.
    Aug 23, 2003
    ICh finde der film ist der bste des jahre auf jeden fall.
  46. Cool
    Jan 31, 2004
    Too much swearing.
  47. TerenceC.
    Mar 13, 2004
    I think it is a good movie. I've seen this movie a couple of times and it is still funny. That is why I like it.
  48. Jack
    Aug 26, 2005
    Awful, gory, gratuitous, disgusting, and not even funny -- shameful in all.
  49. Kewlkat
    Apr 28, 2007
    The year is 2007, and I've yet to find a movie that gets my blood pumping faster than this one. Sure, It could have came up to BREATH for a couple of minutes, but really, when I'm going to the movies to see an ACTION/COMEDY, that's exactly what I want to see. NOT characters onsceen rambling about nothing just to justify a plot, and to be honest, the lack of one in this The year is 2007, and I've yet to find a movie that gets my blood pumping faster than this one. Sure, It could have came up to BREATH for a couple of minutes, but really, when I'm going to the movies to see an ACTION/COMEDY, that's exactly what I want to see. NOT characters onsceen rambling about nothing just to justify a plot, and to be honest, the lack of one in this movie probably made it better. Expand
  50. NikitaA.
    Nov 23, 2003
    Impressive action scenes and beautifully shot, but this movie lacks plot and jokes and some of the scenes are just gruesome. And this hollowness keeps going on for 2½ hours! Only worth seeing for the car chase and a shoot out, which are executed with absolute brilliance.
  51. C.W.
    Oct 13, 2003
    Bad Boys 2 was like eating old kimchi.
  52. Hekke
    Nov 7, 2003
    I enjoyed it, some moments were a bit over the top but, the rest of the movie was good. The story was almost the same as the first movie. Girls caught by bad guy. Good buys save her and kill bad guy. jeeez, original. But I wouldn't say that this movie is bad, due to this.
  53. CharlieM.
    Oct 18, 2003
    Es ist immer lustig zu lesen was die Kritiker schreiben; meist scheinen sie alle der selben Meinung zu sein entweder ist ein Film schlecht oder gut, das is klar und verständlich. Dennoch wird dann immer der eine Film nieder gemacht oder hoch gelobt. Hier kann man von Lob nicht sprechen. Was viele vergessen: das ist kein Thriller wo die Story sehr tiefgreifend sein muss, nein, das ist Es ist immer lustig zu lesen was die Kritiker schreiben; meist scheinen sie alle der selben Meinung zu sein entweder ist ein Film schlecht oder gut, das is klar und verständlich. Dennoch wird dann immer der eine Film nieder gemacht oder hoch gelobt. Hier kann man von Lob nicht sprechen. Was viele vergessen: das ist kein Thriller wo die Story sehr tiefgreifend sein muss, nein, das ist eine Action-Komödie die wirklich sehr lustige Dialoge bietet und Action vom feinsten. Fazit: Einer der besten Filme in seinem Genre die ich je gesehen habe; wenn nicht sogar der beste! Expand
  54. LeighM.
    Dec 12, 2003
    This is such a great movie. A must see and a must buy!!! If you haven't seen it yet you are missing out!!
  55. JulianW.
    Dec 21, 2003
    Full of senseless violence, bullet-time-shootings and splatter. Mixed with some R'n'B-rhythms it's a bit of everything - what a movie shouldn't be like. It IS NOT COOL!
  56. JennyM.
    Dec 25, 2003
    This film is the best it as good as the first one and will smith and martin lawrence are still fit. its funny and i have seen it 20 times. i would do anything to go to see them will smith and martain laurance. luv jenny
  57. BaggaOne
    Jul 19, 2003
    This movie was a bit long but the action sequences are crazy!!!
  58. ScottL.
    Jul 19, 2003
    This movie is action packed and funny but I do agree it's a bit long.
  59. Joojoobee
    Jul 21, 2003
    wow...another flick to satisfy martin lawrence's cop fetish...stay away from this.
  60. MarcoR.
    Aug 18, 2003
    When was the last time I had to look at this trash? There's nothing funny about bad boys 2 at all.
  61. VinceC.
    Sep 13, 2003
    This is a great movie. End of story. It has it all from commedy to action. This movie has a great soundtrack, amazing cars, great gun scenes and car chase plus its the funniest movie i'v seen yet.
  62. BryanD.
    Dec 11, 2003
    This movie is the best i dont care what other ppl are saying will and martin are one of the best actors out there if u dont see this movie as a ten then u r blind.
  63. MovieFan
    Dec 18, 2003
    Cussing and ghetto slang do not make dialogue or a movie. Even the first movie was even better with not every other word with the 4 letter words. At least Bruckheimer and Bay did their job.
  64. Dec 11, 2015
    Whether the original Bad Boys merited a sequel is a moot point - with worldwide takings of over $180 million on a $23 million budget, it was inevitable.

However, a gap of eight years - an age in cinematic terms - means that the hardly indelible characters have fallen off the movie-going radar and need to make quite a noise to recapture an audience now more enamoured with CG, kung fu and fantasy than bullets and fireballs. While not wanting for bangs, as a film Bad Boys II makes more of a dull thud.

Smith and Lawrence are an agreeable comic pairing when given the right material and a reason for their incessant bickering - otherwise their sniping is irritating rather than hilarious.

The 'killer ecstasy' plot (which causes precisely one fatality and seems to do very nicely for Lawrence in one jarring comedy sequence) on which their antics are hung might have passed muster in the '80s, but seems a little 'so what?' now - like warning against the perils of CFCs.

The pair do have their moments (especially an amusing interrogation of Marcus' daughter's terrified date), but much of what's here is offensive (corpse tossing, anyone?) without being funny.

Smith in particular, though a master of the buddy comedy genre, could do with being pickier with his material, having starred in nothing consistently hilarious since the original Men In Black.

Even in the face of leaden material, Michael Bay still manages to pull some impressive directorial tricks out of the bag. The first car chase down a Miami highway beats the overloaded freeway free-for-all of The Matrix Reloaded hands down, and his use of the camera is occasionally dazzling. But for what?

Circling a shootout in one continuous tracking shot looks jaw-dropping, but when the villains have no apparent motive or relevance, you might as well watch it with the sound off.

By the time the film hits the two-hour mark, with a needless trip to Cuba and yet another car chase/shoot out, what was once invention has long since dulled into pointless repetition.

There’s some ‘bad’, meaning good, here; there’s also a lot of plain bad. Frankly, there’s just far too much of everything.
  65. Jan 4, 2016
    That beeping sound you hear just before Bad Boys II starts isn't some technical hitch. It's the dumper truck, driven by producer Jerry Bruckheimer, backing up to Michael Bay's desk and unloading the Gross National Product of Slovakia. Clearly, director Bay pocketed the cash, dashed straight past Decent Scriptwriting Inc and headed directly into Explosions R Us. The money's all up there onThat beeping sound you hear just before Bad Boys II starts isn't some technical hitch. It's the dumper truck, driven by producer Jerry Bruckheimer, backing up to Michael Bay's desk and unloading the Gross National Product of Slovakia. Clearly, director Bay pocketed the cash, dashed straight past Decent Scriptwriting Inc and headed directly into Explosions R Us. The money's all up there on the screen, only most of it soon flies off in a shower of flame and rubble.

Mike Lowrey (Will Smith) and Marcus Burnett (Martin Lawrence) are chasing down a drug dealer who's smuggling his ecstasy into the country via a mortuary. While investigating (read: killing henchmen in a series of ultra-destructive car chases), the pair discover that Marcus' sexy sis Syd (Gabrielle Union) is working undercover for their quarry. Tricky situation - made doubly so by the fact that Syd's shagging Mike behind her over-protective brother's back.

All of which is really just an excuse for the titular cops to shoot guns, trade insults and frustrate their boss (Joe Pantoliano). Fine. Or it would be if all the action bolted onto this wobbly narrative frame didn't come straight from the school of lazy sequels. You know, the one with diplomas marked More Of The Same. Yes, there are some breath-snatching stunts on show here, from the Matrix-matching highway chase (Smith and Lawrence's speeding auto dodging cars thrown from a transporter truck) to the delirious 360-degree pan around a frantic shoot-out. They'll thrill, but they won't solve the movie's biggest problem - director overload.

No doubting that Bay knows how to graft together a set-piece. It's just that once he finds something he likes, he won't let go. So be prepared to sit through another highway chase, almost identical but with spilled corpses replacing spilled cars. And, despite Bay's protestations that Pearl Harbor signalled his move into more substantive filmmaking, here he's reset his targets to match those he was aiming at almost a decade ago. One or two startling CG shots aside, Boys II could have been made eight months after the first movie, let alone eight years. And it's not just the explosions, either - even the ecstasy-smuggling plot and Lawrence's New Age obsession feels faintly stale.

Still, one vital component is all the better for not having moved: the wisecracks. Okay, so some of the boys' quick-fire banter is worryingly homophobic, adding to the discomfort of the almost orgiastic violence, but it's the pair's ceaseless gaggery that raises the watchability. Teamed with Big Willie, even Martin soddin' Lawrence is funny.

Bad Boys II does not reinvent the action film. It repeats it. But if you came out of the original wanting an extra two hours, step up and have a blast. Just don't expect to have quite as much fun as Michael Bay did when he made it...

Michael Bay turns off the brain and switches on the detonator... Overlong, overblown and underwritten it may be, but Bad Boys II still punches the pleasure centres enough to qualify as big, dumb fun. Just.
  66. Jan 12, 2016
    Great sequel - was delightfully surprised. Will Smith and ML always a good combination.

Watch it online for free: https://www.primewire.ag/watch-199-Bad-Boys-II-online-free
  67. Apr 3, 2016
    Hot Cars, Burning Rubber and Guys Good and Bad!

Hot Cars, Burning Rubber and Guys Good and Bad!

Let's begin with a traffic report. This has been an unusually chaotic summer on the freeways and boulevards of South Florida and Southern California — in the movies anyway. First there were Laurence Fishburne and Keanu Reeves somersaulting on top of a speeding semi in "The Matrix Reloaded" to the sound of grinding gears and complaining metal. This was followed in short order by the big chase at the end of "Hollywood Homicide," the Mitsubishi mating dance in "2 Fast 2 Furious" and Arnold Schwarzenegger swinging from the end of a giant crane in "Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines."

Now, hoping to outdo them all in automotive wreckage and box office damage, here is "Bad Boys II," in which a posse of bad guys commandeers a trailer loaded with new cars that they drive at high speed along a stretch of Miami highway, flinging the cargo onto the road behind them at Will Smith and Martin Lawrence, who are in furious pursuit. "Did you see that?" Mr. Lawrence exclaims as a Buick spirals overhead. To which Mr. Smith replies: "They're throwing cars. How am I not going to see that?"

Later a different set of bad guys (not to be confused with the bad boys of the title, Mr. Smith and Mr. Lawrence, who are good guys) will do a similar trick, only with embalmed corpses, one of which is graphically decapitated by another vehicle. But perhaps it is time to cut away from the chase.

"Bad Boys II," in which Mr. Smith and Mr. Lawrence once again play a pair of Miami police detectives named Mike and Marcus, is the latest collaboration between Jerry Bruckheimer, who produced it, and Michael Bay, who directed. (Ron Shelton, director of the much better "Hollywood Homicide," helped write the screenplay.) This one follows in the tradition of the earlier Bruckheimer-Bay pictures — the first "Bad Boys," "The Rock," "Armageddon" and "Pearl Harbor" — all of which made a lot of money and were otherwise pretty much worthless.

Mr. Bruckheimer, who is routinely identified in publicity material as "the most successful producer of all time," is not a man for subtlety or for half measures. This summer he has, at least momentarily, outdone himself, releasing two movies — "Bad Boys II" and "Pirates of the Caribbean" — within 10 days. The two films have an aggregate running time just shy of five hours. ("Boys," at 144 minutes, is 11 minutes longer than "Pirates.") Anyone contemplating a double feature should come prepared with a large bottle of Tylenol. I can't say I recommend the experience, but it's your money, at least until Mr. Bruckheimer gets his hands on it.

Quite a bit was clearly spent on the assaultive, bombastic, and occasionally funny spectacle that is "Bad Boys II." Mr. Bay may lack restraint (also taste, wit and shame), but he does have an undeniable flair for sleaze, noise and vulgarity. One of his most impressive feats is to film a nightclub rave scene so that the camera glides under the skirts and between the legs of the women. There is something leering and nasty about this that makes the more pervasive ogling in "Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle" seem downright wholesome.

A similarly cold, aggressive voyeurism characterizes the film's violence, which is relentless and often gruesome. Corpses are probed for drugs hidden inside them; a bucket of severed limbs, still dripping blood, is placed on a dining-room table. Several times Mr. Bay uses slow motion to track the course of a speeding bullet, climaxing with its explosive, splattery impact on a human body. David O. Russell used a similar effect in "Three Kings" as a graphic and terrifying illustration of what a gunshot can do. Here it is meant to produce a dumb, visceral, involuntary thrill. The audience at the screening I attended responded on cue to each exploding cranium and mangled tosro, with oohs and oofs and wows (as well as less printable interjections), and so, helplessly, did I.

The cast, in contrast, appear fit and energetic. The best moments come when Mr. Smith and Mr. Lawrence are permitted to pause from their action-hero duties and run their funny, unpredictable mouths. At one point, to no discernible narrative purpose, they team up to terrify a young man who has come to take Marcus's daughter on a date, and their parody of thuggish bravado seems like a sly sendup of the movie itself.

The main difference between the partners is that Marcus is a family man (his infinitely patient wife is played, in too few scenes, by Teresa Randle), while Mike is, in his partner's words, "a dog." He also happens to be sweet on Marcus's younger sister, Syd (Gabrielle Union), an undercover federal agent who is mixed up in their case, and whose abduction by the chief bad guy occasions the unauthorized invasion of Cuba at the end of the movie.

1. With a body built for action and a smile made for comedy, Smith eases through his scenes -- cool but never scary, a touch hip-hop and thoroughly audience-friendly. And unlike Lawrence, he can act. Smith's ability to put over a scene, combined with his matinee charm, goes a long way to making the film's violence palatable.
  2. If you think you're tough enough, go ahead and sit through the endurance test that is Bad Boys 2, a brutal, 2 1/2-hour display of production overkill.
    But damn it if the film doesn't work as what it's supposed to be: a big, brainless blast o' boom at the box office.