Bad Education

7.9

1. Dec 27, 2015
    Such a wonderful film - the whole thing, from start to finish is well executed, well acted, well directed and well written. Worth every single minute in front of the screen.
  2. Dec 9, 2015
    One of the best work of Pedro Almedor, with themes similar to those of his All About My Mother, he took rather more artistic way to explore the film making by introducing a story with a story. A connection between past and present is the narrative in a fantasized way which is very touching. The bitter taste of the reality in comparison of our memories is very well presented. Pedro neverOne of the best work of Pedro Almedor, with themes similar to those of his All About My Mother, he took rather more artistic way to explore the film making by introducing a story with a story. A connection between past and present is the narrative in a fantasized way which is very touching. The bitter taste of the reality in comparison of our memories is very well presented. Pedro never clanged on to his scenes much longer or tried to over dramatized his films which works best for the films length and matches the innocence of younger characters. The scenes in convent are worth praising. Daniel Giménez Cacho's work as a priest dealing with inner demon while in the presence of a child is very beautiful. Rest of the cast were good too.
    Best of the movie would be the twist it came with the final character's introduction and explanation of alternate reality as to the one protagonist was imagining. A way to show the strength of the writer.
    An emotional, convincing and disturbing work of art.
  3. Dec 29, 2014
    this movie is really good, if you are a little queasy or religious, do not watch. the film delves deep into subjects of homosexuality and gender definitions, this leads to some strange yet interesting stories and plot points that will leave you shocked yet strangely interested.
  4. May 29, 2013
    I finally saw this film but only after watching Almodovar's more recent "The Skin I Live In," which for me was a far superior movie--one of the best of 2011. However, even second-tier Almodovar is a heightened and idiosyncratic pleasure and is far better than most films made today. And "Bad Education"--with its signature blend of sex, camp, melodrama, and noir--is most definitely andI finally saw this film but only after watching Almodovar's more recent "The Skin I Live In," which for me was a far superior movie--one of the best of 2011. However, even second-tier Almodovar is a heightened and idiosyncratic pleasure and is far better than most films made today. And "Bad Education"--with its signature blend of sex, camp, melodrama, and noir--is most definitely and unmistakably Almodovar. This film also features superb music by Alberto Iglesias (who deserves to win an Oscar someday) and impressive acting--the actors incl. Gael Garcia Bernal really throw themselves into their roles. Expand
  5. Apr 5, 2012
    Personally, I believe this is an excellent movie! Unlike many people who love Almodovar, I don't always enjoy all his movies but this film is gold! A must in a list of a movie-lover!
  6. EmmaD.
    Nov 7, 2006
    The movie pushed the envelope, yes. But in the end, all envelopes must be pushed, and in "Bad Education" it was done beautifully, intelligently, and was one of the most believable movies I've ever seen. The casting was amazing, with actors who didn't foce anyhting, and the intricate plot kept me guessing. The movie ended without fear, boldly and movingly. "Bad Education" made The movie pushed the envelope, yes. But in the end, all envelopes must be pushed, and in "Bad Education" it was done beautifully, intelligently, and was one of the most believable movies I've ever seen. The casting was amazing, with actors who didn't foce anyhting, and the intricate plot kept me guessing. The movie ended without fear, boldly and movingly. "Bad Education" made you think, my favorite kind of movie. Expand
  7. AnaR.
    Sep 8, 2006
    I was astonished by this movie. it's a mind game. The actors were great.
  8. GinaS.
    Jun 9, 2006
    Watching it last night, my roommate came home just as end credits rolled. I exclaimed "You have to watch this movie" and started it over again. Just as enthralling on 2nd viewing.
  9. BrutusO.
    May 18, 2005
    Somewhere along the way Almodovar has made the transition from good to great. "All About My Mother" and "Talk To Her" were easy to see as the profound films they were, and were recognised as such. Now we have "Bad Education", which on the face of it, is a return to the old style Almodovar. Which it is - but there is a whole new level of mastery and intellectual ambiguity guiding his Somewhere along the way Almodovar has made the transition from good to great. "All About My Mother" and "Talk To Her" were easy to see as the profound films they were, and were recognised as such. Now we have "Bad Education", which on the face of it, is a return to the old style Almodovar. Which it is - but there is a whole new level of mastery and intellectual ambiguity guiding his endeavour. The plot deals with typically lurid Almodovar concerns - sexual confusion, paedophilia, religious hypocrisy - but the mind at work here is that of a superior artist. This film takes up questions about the nature of truth and meaning at a level comparable with that of Kurosawa (Rashomon) or Bunuel (Viridiana), albeit with subject matter that could easily be misconstrued as sensationalistic or exploitative. But the subject matter of this film (for all its power to crystallise prejudice) is entirely subordinated to the subtlety of the viewpoints that Almodovar brings to the exercise. The acting effectively underlines the humanity of the key characters. Of special note is the warmth of the performance of the paedophile priest - not an easy subject to portray sympathetically. And, once again, Almodovar selects a moving musical soundtrack that injects real emotion as opposed to the lame sentiment of most movies. I had written off Almodovar as a minor talent ten years ago. But now I have to eat humble pie. He is one of the best directors working today. Expand
  10. charliec
    Apr 30, 2005
    Intriguing movie that blends a story within a story. It does keep the viewer guessing, and although we may be rooting for a happy ending to the m2m love story, it does not come (life is not fair.) This is a story that is worth watching.
  11. RobH.
    Apr 27, 2005
    Excellent film: super-interesting plot, great acting, and beautiful cinematography. Keeps you guessing until the end.
  12. willr.
    Mar 13, 2005
    Compelling cinematic and narrative effects sacrificed some cohesion and emotional depth.
  13. DaniellaD.
    Mar 12, 2005
    I felt that the plot and character depth was really excellent, but was not prepared for the full on homosexual sex scenes. So just beware!
  14. SusanS.
    Mar 2, 2005
    Again, I left the theater completely amazed with Almodovar. His penchant for intriguing ways of telling a story never ceases to awe me. I feel like he uses what has now become the "standard" in art film storytelling, but that's only his base. He then plays on that concept itself and turns everything around. I read many of the summaries above, and I think what people were criticizing Again, I left the theater completely amazed with Almodovar. His penchant for intriguing ways of telling a story never ceases to awe me. I feel like he uses what has now become the "standard" in art film storytelling, but that's only his base. He then plays on that concept itself and turns everything around. I read many of the summaries above, and I think what people were criticizing was what he was going for--he's not an "emotional" writer/director--he shoots at the head rather than the heart, and allows the heart to catch up. Basically, he writes his characters as though they were in real life, but puts them in strange situations. Life is a soap opera only in events, not in speech, and Almodovar plays on that--and our guilty longing for unrestrained sexual content. I too was actually surprised at how little is shown, since I'd seen the killer NC-17 rating on some posters. However, it's a mislabel, and that too seems intentional--he'll give you a peek, but not the whole picture. It's quite unsettling. I can't say I liked this movie better than his most recent, but it definitely lives up to them. It'll make your head spin for a second, and when you walk out, you'll be thinking the whole movie over again. Expand
  15. NickB.
    Feb 28, 2005
    It was a well crafted film but it seemed to lack the oomph I'm pretty sure they were going for. After a while the intrigue wears away, but the characters are engaging enough. It was better than a mediocre movie, but I wouldn't call it groundbreaking or give it a 10 by any means. The supporting cast is what makes the movie good. Sorry Gael.
  16. JoseG.
    Feb 18, 2005
    Great film. A visual treat.
  17. judithj.
    Feb 13, 2005
    First Almodovar movie I have ever liked. Really well done and Bernal is an amazing actor-actually everyone is really good including the pedophile priest. Don't miss seeing this one projected on the big screen.
  18. RP
    Jan 27, 2005
    Best foreign film of 2004 in my book. Great performance by Bernal. Important commentary on Catholic Church.
  19. DanielB.
    Jan 17, 2005
    In my opinion this movie is Almadover's best one and I think it beats any other of the like in Hollywood. That is, if they are ever able to make a movie like that.
  20. shufshuf
    Jan 4, 2005
    Extremely well done on all levels. ultimately a very sad treatise on state of humanity - then & now.
  21. BarryR.
    Jan 2, 2005
    Bad Education, written and directed by Pedro Almodovar, is a movie that deserves special notice and viewing. It is, in its component elements, a gripping and absorbing tale of clergy abuse and the effects it has on those who are the recipients of such conduct. I wonder, however, that if this was a movie without the credentials of Sr. Almodovar, it would receive the accolades and high Bad Education, written and directed by Pedro Almodovar, is a movie that deserves special notice and viewing. It is, in its component elements, a gripping and absorbing tale of clergy abuse and the effects it has on those who are the recipients of such conduct. I wonder, however, that if this was a movie without the credentials of Sr. Almodovar, it would receive the accolades and high scores that such notable periodicals such as the NY Times, the New Yorker, Rolling Stone, etc. have written about it. I call this the Ingmar Bergman syndrome when, with the background of work the director brings to each new venture, it is dangerous ground to be negative about it. This picture, for me at least, requires a second viewing so I can understand what happened, why and with whom. This is a movie within a movie with flashbacks, script backs and film backs, that make viewing it uncomfortable and certainly confusing. I recognize the talent and performances involved and for that it got an 8 in my book. But I must ask myself if I would have been as generous were the writer/director somebody not of Sr. Almodovar's ilk. Expand
  22. Kyle
    Dec 29, 2004
    Classic noir gone gay, with a male "femme fatale". Entertaining.
  23. ep
    Dec 12, 2004
    One of Almodovar's darkest, saddest, most personal films yet. Highly recommended. But don't watch it expecting a campy romp that shows Gael Garcia Bernal in titillating drag. You'll get that, but you'll also get a lot, lot more.
  24. YlkaR.
    Dec 12, 2004
    Marevellous film by Almodóvar in which the cast is completely perfect. Great score and fantastic cinematography. I hope it achieves a Golden Globe nomination.
  25. AmandaR.
    Dec 5, 2004
    I think it's the best film I've seen this year. Simply excellent. Almodóvar deserves a new Oscar Award.
  26. AnthonyS.
    Dec 5, 2004
    Almodóvar presents another excellent movie. If I liked 'All About My Mother' and 'Talk to Her', I loved 'Bad Education'. Gael García Bernal's best role since 'Amores Perros'!
  27. jpl
    Dec 1, 2004
    Definitely the best movie I've seen this year! Almodovar's a freaking genius!!!!!
  28. ArnoldH.
    Nov 25, 2004
    Absolutely sensational. Almodovar is on a roll. Rarely in film history has any director made three conscutive movies as rich as this director's three most recent works. Not to be missed. I can't wait to see it again to more fully appreciate its many layers of complexity.
  29. LauraD.
    Nov 21, 2004
    A new Almodóvar's masterpiece!!!
  30. BrianS
    Nov 18, 2004
    Loved it. Gael gives one of the best performances of the year in this film - a much more complex performance than his terrific, subdued one in MOTORCYCLE DIARIES.

1. If only Bad Education engaged the heart as much as the head, Almodovar's fractured tale might have risen above its alienating noir conventions.
  2. Reviewed by: Phil Hall
    Such garbage that taking a shower at the Bates Motel is a more appealing alternative.
    Complex and devious beyond easy recounting, Bad Education is about the fallout from the ending of a "pure" love between boys, consecrated in an Almodóvaran temple--a movie theatre.