7.7

1. TerryG.
    Jul 14, 2008
    Statham does more thought provoking movies than anyone out there. And if you think you can keep up with him physically, well he'll just kick your ASS there, too.
  2. RJ
    Mar 16, 2008
    Not very exciting. not too intriguing either. Even if it was based on a true story, this film sucked.
  3. LeeT.
    Oct 1, 2008
    What has happened to the mind of Stephanie Zacharek? This erstwhile movie reviewer for Salon.com is almost never wrong. But she loved this movie and this movie sucks in so many ways. The problem with "The Bank Job" is that it's simply a hokie movie - hokie directing, hokie acting, and hokie soundtrack. The director is so dump he must have thought that really awful '70s-style What has happened to the mind of Stephanie Zacharek? This erstwhile movie reviewer for Salon.com is almost never wrong. But she loved this movie and this movie sucks in so many ways. The problem with "The Bank Job" is that it's simply a hokie movie - hokie directing, hokie acting, and hokie soundtrack. The director is so dump he must have thought that really awful '70s-style direction and soundtrack would somehow invoke the '70s, but all it invokes is what was truly awful about the '70s. And now this movie adds to the list of things about the '70s and make people want to cringe. Expand
  4. TheSwami
    Mar 8, 2008
    A very well written and acted movie. One of the best I've seen since the original Ocean's 11. If you like those kinds of movies, you'll definitely like this one. Highly recommend!
  5. JGaryF.
    Mar 29, 2008
    Best film I saw in 12 monthsI saw the movie with my son, 38, my Aunt 86, and I'm an alter cocker ... we 3 generations all loved it. Exciting, unusual, gripping and based on a real story. Tension you could cut with a hack saw (OK "knife" is old fashioned.) Not to be missed.
  6. KarenW.
    Mar 14, 2008
    Loved this movie! Great story, even better because it's based in truth. Great dialogue and action - no car chase - almost no guns - just lots of reality and well rounded characters. What a relief after this years lousy Oscar winners!
  7. PhoenixGuy
    Mar 14, 2008
    Great story, well told. The explicitness of the sex scenes was not needed to make the point. Good script, fast-moving pace and excellent acting, especially Strathan and his wife. The Vogel character was perfectly slimy as well.
  8. PhilA.
    Mar 15, 2008
    Solid film, good acting, great story. Didn't understand all of the British slang, but the basic message was comprehensible. I was surprised by the amount of nudity, the film definately earned its R rating. Very entertaining.
  9. JackB.
    Mar 28, 2008
    Decent film, good story but could have been improved very easily with some changes to the script and some terrible supporting cast roles, particularly those of Stathams 2 "sidekicks". It also seemed far too easy to break into the bank, like anyone could have done it. Some aspects of the story weren't made clear either. You get the feeling a bigger budget would have made it go a lot further.
  10. TheDude
    Mar 30, 2008
    I really enjoyed this flick a lot. It has a little bit of everything: a little action, a lot of intrigue and suspense, a little nudity, a touch of comedy, and a nifty little story based on actual events. Somehow it all came together really well. I definitely recommend it.
  11. SamL.
    Mar 6, 2008
    Exciting, funny, and non stop action. The fact that it is based on true story makes it all the more intriguing. The acting was top notch.
  12. JoeC.
    Mar 9, 2008
    Excellent, suspenseful, well cast, well written and edited.
  13. Filmfan
    May 4, 2008
    Slightly entertaining but not exceptional in any way.
  14. JayH.
    Jul 10, 2008
    Well constructed thriller, great cast, well written. It always held my interest and has enough twists to keep the viewer engrossed. Well photographed and suspenseful.
  15. KevT.
    Aug 3, 2008
    If part of this movie is true, it is proof that life can be better than fiction. I have no doubt some liberties were taken with the story, but the movie does become more than just another bank robbery movie. The characters do feel very unoriginal, but then again it is supposed to be about real people. There are only so many character types out there. If you are looking for big time action If part of this movie is true, it is proof that life can be better than fiction. I have no doubt some liberties were taken with the story, but the movie does become more than just another bank robbery movie. The characters do feel very unoriginal, but then again it is supposed to be about real people. There are only so many character types out there. If you are looking for big time action flick, this is not it. There is some action, but they seem to try and keep more realistic. There are a couple of moments of action that felt fake, but it was not bad. The acting is generally good, although there are a few moments where people should have been more shaken up or rough looking considering what they just did or were doing. I think the casting was fine, but again, very predictable. Bottom line, is this a great look at a unique part of British history, well I am sure some where under the layers of Hollywoodizations it is, but that is the key. Watch this movie for entertainment, not for facts. Otherwise it is a good movie well worth renting and ownership if it is on sale. Expand
  16. SebH
    Jan 10, 2009
    I'm constantly bemused by reviews that state that the director is 'dump' - oh the irony. Ignoring the fact that this is set in the '70s (yes, cos that's when it actually happened), perfect combination of suspense and grit, and even the odd bit of humour, it's one of those precious few action films that isn't so predictable you actually want to find out I'm constantly bemused by reviews that state that the director is 'dump' - oh the irony. Ignoring the fact that this is set in the '70s (yes, cos that's when it actually happened), perfect combination of suspense and grit, and even the odd bit of humour, it's one of those precious few action films that isn't so predictable you actually want to find out how it ends. I was entertained and thrilled - can't believe people want more these days. Expand
  17. KenW.
    Oct 28, 2008
    One of the best films I've seen in a long time. The European flavour is always appealing, the cast was great. I've watched the DVD 4 times & each time I'm on the edge of my seat, nervously. If you liked SNATCH this is a must see movie.
  18. PaulK.
    Mar 26, 2008
    Not quite the comedy the trailer might lead you to believe, this is a straight up heist flick. Besides being about 20 min too long, The Bank Job exceeded my expectations. If you have an interest, at the very least check it out on video down the road.
  19. JohnR.
    Mar 29, 2008
    Very involving retro bank heist movie with a lot of very interesting turns. Well cast, well paced, and a great music track. Can't understand why they gave it such a terrible title.
  20. IanP
    Mar 31, 2008
    I thought this film was a delight to watch, proper British made quality. Best film I've seen at the cinema for a while. All the actors excelled where needed!
  21. ChadS.
    Mar 9, 2008
    "The Bank Job" differs from other bank heist pictures in one crucial way; instead of money, these thieves ransack people's safety deposit boxes. Money is so impersonal, it almost feels like a victimless crime. But a personal message scribbled on some woman's panties were not meant for random inspection. Bottles of vintage wine are uncorked like they were soft drink tabs. We all "The Bank Job" differs from other bank heist pictures in one crucial way; instead of money, these thieves ransack people's safety deposit boxes. Money is so impersonal, it almost feels like a victimless crime. But a personal message scribbled on some woman's panties were not meant for random inspection. Bottles of vintage wine are uncorked like they were soft drink tabs. We all want to be filthy rich, but not like this. These aren't your suave and debonair bank robbers from "Ocean's Eleven". They're basically good, these English lads(and a bird), but Terry(Jason Statham) is boffing Marinte(Saffron Burrows), and one guy used to be the stud(not just the fluffer like the guy from "Love, Actually") in raincoat cinema(the producer looks like Martin Scorsese). To put it simply, an American audience won't identify with these crooks. Unlike, say, Joel and Ethan Coen's "The Ladykillers", we can better see that a crime is being committed. The objective differs in "The Bank Job"; the robbery isn't simply about accruing wealth. When Martine comes to Terry with her plan, getting rich is just a smokescreen to her real agenda. More complex than your average heist pic, things really start to heat up in "The Bank Job" after the hooligans leave bank premises. Unlike "Ocean's Eleven", or any number of bank heist movies, we don't live vicariously through these people because their booty is too damn hot. We want to be rich. Not die. Expand
  22. DougR.
    Apr 20, 2008
    Very interesting plot and well done. If 90% of the movie is true, it is quite a story ! I recommend it highly, it is not a boring bank heist movie we've seen before.
  23. MichelleLe.
    Apr 30, 2008
    A very intelligent bank heist movie, and especially entertaining because of its "real life"roots. Go and enjoy!
  24. BilB.
    Apr 3, 2008
    It kept me going throughout the entire flick. I liked it.
  25. JohnG.
    Apr 5, 2008
    Takes time to develop, but in the end all the plot twists and turns keep you engrossed.
  26. KH.
    May 25, 2008
    The actors try their best with the lines they are given, but the "movie about a real bank robbery" is on auto-pilot most of the time. It greatly resembles a 70's film by letting the characters drive the story. As a result there's a lot of dialog. But its not very interesting dialog. It is an instantly forgettable film.
  27. GeorgeM
    Jul 30, 2008
    It's a "for the most part" entertaining little caper flick with some twists and turns in the same vein as films like Snatch and Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels, however, this film is a bit more serious in tone. It involves a wide spectrum of characters but this is kind of a problem in the sense that you will constantly be trying to keep up with everyone in this movie and what they It's a "for the most part" entertaining little caper flick with some twists and turns in the same vein as films like Snatch and Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels, however, this film is a bit more serious in tone. It involves a wide spectrum of characters but this is kind of a problem in the sense that you will constantly be trying to keep up with everyone in this movie and what they are all about and what they are trying to accomplish......it becomes a borderline mish-mash of ideas. Overall its an effective flick that while a little too complicated for its own good proves to be entertaining none the less. This is easily Jason Stathams best performance as a serious actor, meaning there is no ludicrous plot, no "brain cell killing" action sequences, or dialog that makes George Lucas look like Scorcese. Definately worth a look, should not just be passed up. Expand
  28. RobinA.
    Mar 29, 2009
    Great fun ... Statham is believable as the leader of the gang mixed up in trouble they can not imagine.
  29. ChetR
    Sep 12, 2009
    Extremely well done, maintaining its intensity--almost--to the very end.
  30. BuzzB
    Feb 29, 2008
    Based on real events the film is amusing enough and keeps going at a decent enough pace to be enjoyable. Good storyline and fun recreation of 70s London - especially all the cars. Jason Statham goes out on a limb to play an(other) East End gangster but does it very well. Plenty of gratuitous nudity too for good measure. Recommended.
  31. StephenL.
    Apr 21, 2008
    I thought this was going to be like Lock Stock after watching the characters introduce and the plot was set up, but the film turns a bit dark and tries to be a more like a thriller, I was expecting comedy punchlines! Not bad but it feels a bit muddled in style.
  32. SteveF
    Aug 12, 2008
    Ten times better than 99% of the action movie sh%t that comes out of the states. Worth checking out! Awesome poster too
  33. Sep 13, 2010
    Based on a true story, cockney geezas rob a bank then it's a right knees-up & barrel of monkeys.
    Does what it says on the tin, Jason Statham plays his usual whispering cockney self but quite entertaining overall.
  34. Apr 21, 2012
    I was very surprised by The Bank Job. I went in expecting a brainless action flick but was rewarded with a suspenseful and well-paced crime drama. It feels very much like the old British crime films of the past, not just in period dressing but in it's acting and directing, too. Very nostalgic and entertaining.
  35. Aug 5, 2011
    Enjoyable bank heist movie with enough twists, turns and sub plots to make you believe you may be watching a Guy Ritchie movie. Statham is excellent as usual and the rest of the cast fits the bill well. Gritty in parts, humorous in others overall it's well worth a watch.
  36. Sep 7, 2013
    You'd think that a Jason Statham film about a bank robbery can only mean one thing: cliché Hollywood tricks, comical action and no story or organisation. However, The Bank Job is the complete opposite. The focus is on the main character as well as the crucial moments of the robbery itself. It's not one of those films which spends only 2 minutes on the bit that actually matters. Aside fromYou'd think that a Jason Statham film about a bank robbery can only mean one thing: cliché Hollywood tricks, comical action and no story or organisation. However, The Bank Job is the complete opposite. The focus is on the main character as well as the crucial moments of the robbery itself. It's not one of those films which spends only 2 minutes on the bit that actually matters. Aside from this, there is a lot more going on at any given point, and everything that happens has a purpose and its own story behind it. If you want a break from mindless action films, you should definitely give this one a go. Expand
  37. Feb 23, 2013
    The Bank Job is a good movie based on the legendary 1971 London bank heist. While I enjoyed the fast paced action this film offers, it jumps around so much and so fast, that it's pretty hard to keep up with. I found myself quite confused at many different points in the film, especially at the end, when I had to rewind 3 or 4 times. Jason Statham is far and away the top action star outThe Bank Job is a good movie based on the legendary 1971 London bank heist. While I enjoyed the fast paced action this film offers, it jumps around so much and so fast, that it's pretty hard to keep up with. I found myself quite confused at many different points in the film, especially at the end, when I had to rewind 3 or 4 times. Jason Statham is far and away the top action star out there today. What's so great about him falling under the radar is that he gets to do what he wants to do, instead of getting stuck with nothing but big budget disasters with no plot. The story behind The Bank Job and what led up to it, who was really involved in, was really interesting and made for a great plot. The constant jumping from place to place made for a confusing film, that while good, wasn't nearly what it should have been. Expand
  38. May 18, 2015
    The Bank Job is a well made, well acted bank heist thriller. It interweaves all of the facets of the real life heist and the rocks it turned over very well and that made this one quite a compelling watch. However, the main positive in this one is the fact that it's based on a true story. Without it, a lot of this one would have been far less compelling to watch unfold. The whole heist andThe Bank Job is a well made, well acted bank heist thriller. It interweaves all of the facets of the real life heist and the rocks it turned over very well and that made this one quite a compelling watch. However, the main positive in this one is the fact that it's based on a true story. Without it, a lot of this one would have been far less compelling to watch unfold. The whole heist and everything surrounding it was quite thrilling and, as I said, it was well directed and well acted, however, the non-heist portions and non-controversial parts, kind of fell flat. The amount of webs it weaves is entirely worth watching this one though, because it does quite well. It introduces many scenarios that could overwhelm, yet finds a way to keep its wits about it and not overwhelm its viewers. Overall, The Bank Job is an average bank heist thriller that thrives due to the fact it's based on a true story and it manages to take all of the portions of that truth and add them together nicely. Expand
  39. Mar 1, 2013
    This movie based on a real story is well directed, silent, fast paced, suspense thriller. I watch it again and again and never get bored. Very entertaining!!!
  40. Jan 29, 2015
    Este filme é a mais sensata prova que Jason Statham é um ator muito talentoso e cheio de carisma,e que se os críticos forem mas bondosos e menos arrogantes fazeram justiça. Um drama bem executado contém cenas bem tensas,uma história de assombrar esse filme baseado em fatos reais é uma nova obra-prima excelente roteiro e elenco.
  41. Nov 15, 2013
    The Bank Job cashes in.
    The movie starts at a good pace and continues without letting up. A solid telling of a true story. Statham continues to entertain with his gritty intensity and likeability.

1. Reviewed by: Leslie Felperin
    An engrossing if underwhelming period thriller.
    Dull title for a juicy, fact-based caper movie that's full of surprises I have no intention of spoiling.
    The actual robbery that the picture is based on is shrouded in mystery, and the screenwriters, Dick Clement and Ian La Fresnais, have engaged in a fair amount of entertaining invention.