5.3

1. Apr 28, 2015
    What?! Only 22?? I will never understand how an official critic works it seems. They must be extremely bored people, unable to feel any emotion anymore having seen everything or so they believe, watching a movie like a technician reads an operating manual more than actually experiencing anything. But I'm happy with the idea I was one of the rare few who loved a movie, this makes the wholeWhat?! Only 22?? I will never understand how an official critic works it seems. They must be extremely bored people, unable to feel any emotion anymore having seen everything or so they believe, watching a movie like a technician reads an operating manual more than actually experiencing anything. But I'm happy with the idea I was one of the rare few who loved a movie, this makes the whole thing even more intimate. So I truly enjoyed watching "Barefoot". The script is clumsy at times but I think the whole movie is about imperfection and how it is part of life. I found Evan Rachel Wood acting quite good given the risk posed by her character, i.e. a girl who was locked at home during her whole life. I'm not saying she composed a very realistic psychopathology, but she didn't try too hard as it unfortunately happens too often when actors try to play lunatics. On the contrary, she just plays a simple girl, with limits but also a common basis with anyone else, i.e. what makes us human deep inside, before culture and civilization adds layers on top of it. Scott Speedman is also good as the unreliable gambling son of rich southern American parents. Not sure where would his love for a simple girl would come from, but I let it happen. I couldn't say that this movie is good for everyone. I consider it more as a sort of escape from an otherwise rigid code of how a love story is supposed to be and how people in general are supposed to be and so on. So if you want to learn how to be a winner, pass this one. I will watch this movie a second time because it has good vibes, and that's my whole point. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Michael Nordine
    Feb 25, 2014
    The gradual revelation that there's more to Daisy than meets the eye is no great surprise, but it does at least negate — too late! — some of the more troubling subtext.
  2. Reviewed by: Sheri Linden
    Feb 23, 2014
    Over the decades, there’s been no shortage of boneheaded premises for romantic comedies, but the painfully ill-conceived Barefoot takes boneheadedness to regrettable places.
  3. Reviewed by: Susan Wloszczyna
    Feb 21, 2014
    There is one thing about Barefoot that makes it at least a guilty pleasure. Once you ignore how improbable Daisy is — there is something oddly captivating about Wood's performance.