Be Kind Rewind

6.7

1. TonyR-S
    Mar 2, 2008
    Being a big fan of "Eternal Sunshine...", this was a big letdown. Great concept, but disappointing performances and a thinly stretched plot. Gondry can do so much better.
  2. JeremyB
    Jun 24, 2008
    I really wanted to like this movie, but there's just no "there" there.
  3. rbee
    Feb 21, 2008
    To Chris T: The highest individual score at the time of this posting is a 70, which is still the equivalent of a D+ student getting lucky on the final exam. I'm not saying it was a horrible movie, but look at the numbers. Ten reviews, averaged: 70, 67, 63, 63, 60, 50, 50, 40, 40, 30 = 533/10 = 53. Even without a weight bias that's a strong failing grade. Personally I was very To Chris T: The highest individual score at the time of this posting is a 70, which is still the equivalent of a D+ student getting lucky on the final exam. I'm not saying it was a horrible movie, but look at the numbers. Ten reviews, averaged: 70, 67, 63, 63, 60, 50, 50, 40, 40, 30 = 533/10 = 53. Even without a weight bias that's a strong failing grade. Personally I was very disappointed with the movie; Gondry has been acting experimental lately and while the film has a good heart, its cliched raising-money-for-charity storyline is far below his standard of work, no matter how creative the actual scenes may be. Expand
  4. TimBo
    Mar 10, 2008
    Being 19 I cant help but think that this is a vivid rip-off of BlockBlister... a skit from the children's variety show "All That" about 10 years ago.
  5. EllieO.
    May 17, 2008
    It was absolutely rubbish I was very dissapointed I walked out because I was sooo bored ! i think jake black is great but he but me down on this movie because it was soo bad ! I rate it 2 and now you no why and also i never at 1 part laughed it was soo stupid !!!
  6. JohnC
    Jul 19, 2008
    You can see what they were trying to do with this film. Keyword: "trying". They failed miserably. This movie mocks the audiences' intelligence. The fact that they were trying to sell ahalf-assed story, concept and execution as something deep is offensive. This movie is horrible, do not see it. You WILL walk out after 25 minutes or so. It is the worst movie I have seen in years.
  7. PAbloP.
    Jul 24, 2008
    This was one of the worst movies I've ever watched. The plot was dull and lagged, the comedy wasn't funny, and the drama was just not moving. Nothing in this movie stood out other than my desire to Be Kind to myself and Turn the movie off.
  8. RK
    Feb 1, 2009
    A very average film with some chuckles here and there and one hilarious scence when they are trying to break into a shop, but other than that pretty disappointing. Expected much more from such an excellent comedian as Jack Black.
  9. MattA.
    Feb 23, 2008
    A disorganized mess and a fully unrealized concept.
  10. ChrisF
    Feb 23, 2008
    Terrible, terrible film. Unfunny, amateurish directing, improv-style dialogue does not work at all. I came away physically upset that I had wasted my time and money on this steaming pile. Saw it because the good movies were sold out. I anticipated a mediocre movie based on reviews here. Do not be mislead, it is crap. I even like Jack Black. Do yourself a favor and see anything else.
  11. AaronM
    Feb 25, 2008
    This movie was so bad, you almost want to cry! You literally sit there and are like, what the heck am I watching? How could this go so wrong? But it does. The jokes are flat. The romantic elements are so horrible. The only thing it tries to evoke is sentimentality but by that time, you're already repulsed. Save your money. Don't even rent it.
  12. Droog
    Mar 17, 2008
    Be Kind Rewind is a truly bad movie, and the fact that it has so much potential makes it even worse. The premise is incredibly original: all the videotapes in a neighborhood rental store are accidentally erased, forcing the 2 clerks (Jack Black and Mos Def) to recreate their own versions of popular titles like Ghostbusters and Rocky IV. And to its credit, the Youtube-ish movies created Be Kind Rewind is a truly bad movie, and the fact that it has so much potential makes it even worse. The premise is incredibly original: all the videotapes in a neighborhood rental store are accidentally erased, forcing the 2 clerks (Jack Black and Mos Def) to recreate their own versions of popular titles like Ghostbusters and Rocky IV. And to its credit, the Youtube-ish movies created are hilarious. But this is the best part of the movie, and it only take up about 15 minutes of screen time! The other 1hr. and 25 minutes is taken up with half-assed side stories about big-box video chains, copyright lawyers, an underdeveloped love interest, and a jazz pianist that no one gives a $h!t about. Meanwhile, the acting is all-around terrible. I really don't know what Michael Gondry was thinking. I've liked some of his stuff in the past, but this is a major step backwards. Do yourself a huge favor and skip this film. Expand
  13. DanM.
    Mar 2, 2008
    This movie was so bad I walked out after an hour. I couldn't believe Jack Black, Danny Glover, and Mia Farrow were in a flick this terrible. It just wasn't funny at all.
  14. beckyboo
    Mar 24, 2008
    This was probably one of the worst fims that I have ever watched at the cinima.There were two bits in the entire film that actually made me laugh.Very dissapointing.If I had the nerve I would have asked for my money back.
  15. SeanF.
    Mar 7, 2008
    Very nearly the worst film I've ever seen. Even worst than the other Jack Black film - the holiday. It really is that bad.
  16. DavidS
    Mar 9, 2008
    This movie was so awful I walked out after 45 min and got a refund, and I'm normally a big fan of Jack Black (School of Rock and Tenacious D were both hilarious imo). I never walk out of movies, but this one was such sheer stupidity and lameness I couldn't handle it.
  17. KevinR.
    Jun 17, 2008
    I absolutely loved Science of Sleep and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind so I was shocked by this turd and walked out after 45 torturous minutes.
  18. JackC.
    Jun 28, 2008
    This movie is a complete dud. I'll say that there are a couple clever or briefly comical moments in it, but the other 97% of the film is pure garbage. It's the type of movie you can't believe "professionals" made or that it was made at all in the first place. The general premise had potential, but the execution was horrible. A complete trainwreck.
  19. JimboH.
    Jul 13, 2008
    The movie manages to be both clever and yet, unfortunately dull. The beginning is amazingly slow, the setting is depressing (a run down, ill-taken care of ghetto). The "sweded" movies a somewhat neat, and there are laughs at times, but for the most part it doesn't offer a lot. Its a movie. Its art. Its not much of a comedy though. However, it will have a deep cultural impact. Why? The movie manages to be both clever and yet, unfortunately dull. The beginning is amazingly slow, the setting is depressing (a run down, ill-taken care of ghetto). The "sweded" movies a somewhat neat, and there are laughs at times, but for the most part it doesn't offer a lot. Its a movie. Its art. Its not much of a comedy though. However, it will have a deep cultural impact. Why? I'll tell you why- because this movie created a word you can use to look up "Sweded" movies on Youtube (and there are a lot already)- which may have been the goal of the creators anyways. Expand
  20. afagfhbbgfnbhrg
    Jul 17, 2008
    This movie was absolutly positivly boring stupid and uninteresting. it wasnt even funny but people say its "hilarious" yeah right i didnt see any humor in it! the film also hurt my eyes! not a good movie whats so ever actually one of the worst movies i had ever seen!
  21. JohnH.
    Jul 5, 2008
    Sorry, the idea seemed like something Jack Black could pull off. But to my disappointment, I considered it a waste of time. I may have smiled once or twice, but there was nothing there.
  22. TedT.
    Apr 13, 2008
    I could not believe that this piece of trash made it's way to the big screen, and I paid to go see it. If ever I've wanted to ask for my money back, this was the time. This movie thought it was cute, it thought it was touching..I honestly was shocked. I've seen short films made by 8 year old that would blow this thing away.
  23. Nov 3, 2011
    This movie is goofy as hell, which is probably why I love it so much. Everyone needs to lighten up a bit, critics and the fools who walked out on it alike. Why would you walk out of a movie anyways?
  24. TiagoM.
    Jun 26, 2008
    The beginning is a little crazy, but the movie is very charming, smart and even touching in the end. A very creative Gondry. Again.
  25. JordanZ
    Aug 4, 2008
    In a world flooded with cookie-cutter blockbusters, Be Kind is a refreshing reminder of what movies can / should be like.
  26. MitchM
    Jan 8, 2009
    A well acted original movie.
  27. ChrisT.
    Feb 20, 2008
    Could someone please explain how, considering the above reviews, this movie could possibly score a 41? I understand the idea of weighted scores (how could could possibly "weight" the New Yorker over Empire in terms of movie reviews completely baffles me) but even so this still makes zero sense to me... explanation anyone??
  28. PG.
    Mar 15, 2008
    So good I had no idea that I was in for this big of a treat. people giving it low ratings are either stuffy, boring or both. The imagination and just watching it was great. If you liked science of sleep or block party- you'll enjoy this.
  29. JulieK
    Mar 2, 2008
    I loved this movie. Great quarky fun... highly imaginative and fun. You have to watch this film!!!!
  30. Ross
    Mar 3, 2008
    I can understand why this movie might receive mixed reviews, but the resulting metascore is bafflingly low. If you are a fan of Gondry's work, you should probably give Be Kind Rewind a try. I was pleasantly surprised, probably because this site helped my expectations remain low. Gondry's films are not set in our world, but I find that the emotions can be just as real. This is a I can understand why this movie might receive mixed reviews, but the resulting metascore is bafflingly low. If you are a fan of Gondry's work, you should probably give Be Kind Rewind a try. I was pleasantly surprised, probably because this site helped my expectations remain low. Gondry's films are not set in our world, but I find that the emotions can be just as real. This is a charming film with a touching message. Expand
  31. DianeMariaB.
    Apr 2, 2008
    I loved it! A sweet movie about creativity and dreams. Plus I LOVE jack black.
  32. SonicBen
    Apr 7, 2008
    It started likeable but slow and wasn't promising. By halfway through it was great fun. By 3/4 through I had the usual Gondry lump in my throat and I left feeling happy to be alive.
  33. ChadS.
    Feb 22, 2008
    When people from this dying vicinage in New Jersey stop being mere spectators of Mike's homemade films and begin to participate in its production, "Be Kind Rewind" reveals itself to be a sly send-up of American life. According to most Europeans, people who reside stateside, have no organic culture; our shared experience is formed by popular culture. By evoking the filmic tradition of When people from this dying vicinage in New Jersey stop being mere spectators of Mike's homemade films and begin to participate in its production, "Be Kind Rewind" reveals itself to be a sly send-up of American life. According to most Europeans, people who reside stateside, have no organic culture; our shared experience is formed by popular culture. By evoking the filmic tradition of Italian neorealism(real people shot in real locations), it's suggested that these no-budget remakes of major studio fare are cultural byproducts of the lazy and passive American, people who waste their entire lives endlessly staring at a screen(or a talking box), watching other people's stories(rather than creating their own); that's the pitiful withdrawal from their memory banks; their collective reminiscing of a beloved film. Finally, when the motley film crew get the desist from shooting order by Hollywood copyright lawyers(read: Mussolini regime), Jerry(Jack Black) and Mike(Mos Def) stop being image thieves, and start production on their own "Bicycle Thieves"(Original French title: "Ladri di biciclette"), a quasi-documentary about a jazz great from New Jersey(not Harlem; perhaps, this is an oblique reference to how Americans are bad at geography). "Be Kind Rewind" is too weird to be simply a film about the death of the VHS format. Since it's a period piece(around 1999?), allusions to "You Tube", or other current narcissistic forms of "artistic" expression might not be applicable. Expand
  34. mikew.
    Feb 22, 2008
    I saw it at Sundance with an enthusiastic crowd. That helped. The plot lines and motivations of characters are pretty thin. You just say, "Huh?" But if you buy into it, it is a funny, goofy film. It's campy, so go enjoy it. Just don't pay attention to the plot.
  35. RayP.
    Feb 23, 2008
    Great movie with a great storyline and good acting. I'm certainly not a Jack Black fan but his performance in this movie is exceptional.
  36. CamB.
    Feb 23, 2008
    Sure the recreated movie bits are funny (the ghost busters bit is the best) but the film has heart and the Fats Waller substory functions well metaphorically. Gondry has produced another fine work here. Go in with above average expectations and you won't be disappointed.
  37. MichaelE.
    Feb 24, 2008
    More a great concept than a great story, and one that definitely could've benefited from NOT having the ever-annoying Jack Black in it, but Gondry is an interesting director and the theme, pitting the charming incompetence of DIY against the soulless slickness of studio product, is enough to carry it through to the end, if just barely.
  38. JH.
    Feb 25, 2008
    Extremely imaginative and engaging. Unlike anything I've ever seen before -- though visually reminiscent of Gondry's music vids. Good performances. Story flags at a few points, but never gets boring.
  39. MattC
    Feb 26, 2008
    It's warm, daft and creative. If you've had a crappy day it'll probably make you feel a bit better. The critics seriously need to learn how to enjoy themselves or people like MIchelle Gondry will be forced to stop making movies that don't conform.
  40. JohnB.
    Mar 1, 2008
    Gondry uses this film to justify his own non-conforming direction. He makes the case that film can bring people together regardless of how good it is while we watch the remaking of movies erased by Jerry and ultimately the final movie that brings the whole community together. Minor issues touched by this movie include the divide yet ultimate unity between races, the sense of belonging in Gondry uses this film to justify his own non-conforming direction. He makes the case that film can bring people together regardless of how good it is while we watch the remaking of movies erased by Jerry and ultimately the final movie that brings the whole community together. Minor issues touched by this movie include the divide yet ultimate unity between races, the sense of belonging in the world, and progression coming up against older ideals. I felt as if there was a lot of potential for some really great stuff but the first two thirds really were a mess. It wasn't until the the final third of this movie that Gondry's intentions became realized. Overall, the players played their parts well but definitely took some risks that didn't pay off. I would have liked to have seen Gondry expand some of his ideas and take this film more seriously because there was a lot of potential that wasn't met. Expand
  41. jumbojett
    Mar 25, 2008
    Delightful. Pure Gondry magic.
  42. JohnD.
    Mar 27, 2008
    Wow. I personally thought this movie was great. It was refreshing after all the unoriginal crap Hollywood has been shoving out via assembly line for the past decade. It has a nice theme, great story, and the movie is hilarious. But, hey, maybe it just depends on your tastes and such.
  43. AW
    Mar 8, 2008
    Funny and surprisingly touching. I wasn't planning on seeing this movie but I really liked it. Smart and fresh. Don't miss it. If I had kids I would take them to see this film!
  44. HelenF.
    Apr 6, 2008
    First 2/3 of Movie dire and I was about to leave. Jack Black is rubbish, but the last part of the film- the making of the black & white movie was a cinema treasure not to be missed, so go late or just watch the final bit on DVD!
  45. JayH.
    Jun 11, 2008
    Very original and enjoyable. It does lose steam about three fourths of the way through, but it's a clever film with good performances. Nice score, well written and directed.
  46. TylerD.
    Jul 19, 2008
    I adored this movie. Great cinematography, espeically for what you'd think was just another comedy. All of the preformances were done perfectly and some parts are so clever you think "how'd they even think of that?" Be Kind Rewind was very original, funny, and even heartwarming at times. I recommend it greatly.
  47. bt
    Aug 5, 2008
    A great example of the peculiarly dense and narrow minds of most film critics. Most only know certain niches and lack appreciation of things like action, high tragedy, or in this case, a well-rounded sense of humor and appreciation of the absurd as something silly/stupid.
  48. SamW
    Dec 13, 2008
    To be frank, Be Kind Rewind was exactly what I needed. In a world endless sequels by disney and tv movies based on bad cartoons, this excellent film was like a cleansing rain. It was original, funny, had great characters, and a bittersweet ending. If more directors would have the guts to do something this offbeat, we would live in a world with better movies.
  49. DavidD.
    Feb 23, 2008
    Underrated, I'd say. It's funny when it wants to be, and touching when it needs to be, a great combination that many films these days lack. The only occasional problem being when it gets these two elements mixed up somewhat, but that's tolerable. How crap like "The Simpsons Movie", "Dan In Real Life" and such get good ratings and actually worthwhile films like this get low Underrated, I'd say. It's funny when it wants to be, and touching when it needs to be, a great combination that many films these days lack. The only occasional problem being when it gets these two elements mixed up somewhat, but that's tolerable. How crap like "The Simpsons Movie", "Dan In Real Life" and such get good ratings and actually worthwhile films like this get low ratings dished out as if it's rush hour at the pooh-pooh cafe is a mystery to me. If you want not only a worthwhile film, but one that does great tribute to the YouTube nation, see this film. Expand
  50. BurtH.
    Feb 26, 2008
    While all at once capturing the feeling of a lazy film geek and true artist, Be Kind Rewind reminds us that films made by film lovers are often the best kind. Heartwarming and occasionally directionless, Jack Black's performance recalls Ned Schneebly of School of Rock. Mos Def gives a tender, intelligent portrayal of an everyman with big dreams, lacking the funds to achieve them. While all at once capturing the feeling of a lazy film geek and true artist, Be Kind Rewind reminds us that films made by film lovers are often the best kind. Heartwarming and occasionally directionless, Jack Black's performance recalls Ned Schneebly of School of Rock. Mos Def gives a tender, intelligent portrayal of an everyman with big dreams, lacking the funds to achieve them. Michel Gondry has moved practically sideways in his growth as a director. Going from mind-bending effects of Eternal Sunshine to the more community-based Dave Chapelle's Block Party, he has managed to combine the two ideas here into a different and partially new genre. The surrealist community picture. Expand
  51. CarlosR.
    Feb 28, 2008
    This movie is underrated. Eternal Sunshine was more profound, Science of Sleep was more pleasing, but still, Be Kind Rewind, although not an amazing movie, is definitely worth watching. Also, after watching the movie, you should visit the site, where they sweded the internet. And while you're there, you should watch Michel Gondry's swede of the original trailer itself!
  52. TomC.
    Mar 17, 2008
    I found this movie to be very funny and also has a heart. I also found the location to be unique and attractive in an urban decay sort of way. being a movie buff is an asset for appreciation of this movie. the preservation of community and old neighborhoods is an issue that is addressed, i feel that this movie is much underrated by the critics.
  53. RonaldD.O.
    Jun 19, 2008
    Forget the critics, this movie is really original and hilarious. It's also really touching and just an entertaining movie all around.
  54. EliR.
    Jun 26, 2008
    I could see why some might hate it. But there was something about its goofy, silly aesthetic that I really dug. It wasn't amazing in any way, and for me that was kind of the point. It seemed about enjoying simple things, and generally having a good time with what you've got. p.s. the special feature on the small New Jersey town/people of Passaic was really cool - kind of made I could see why some might hate it. But there was something about its goofy, silly aesthetic that I really dug. It wasn't amazing in any way, and for me that was kind of the point. It seemed about enjoying simple things, and generally having a good time with what you've got. p.s. the special feature on the small New Jersey town/people of Passaic was really cool - kind of made the film in a way. Collapse
  55. christianp.
    Jul 13, 2008
    Maybe all of these sad reviews will be great in the long run and the beauty and charm of this film will remain in tact for the touched few who thoroughly enjoyed it as I did. Gondry is a visionary. He started losing some fans with Science of Sleep (which I thought was whimsically charming and deeply original), and even more with this movie. And I am still completely shocked at some of the Maybe all of these sad reviews will be great in the long run and the beauty and charm of this film will remain in tact for the touched few who thoroughly enjoyed it as I did. Gondry is a visionary. He started losing some fans with Science of Sleep (which I thought was whimsically charming and deeply original), and even more with this movie. And I am still completely shocked at some of the reviews here. The 0s and 2s from viewers who admit that they didn't even watch the whole movie shouldn't be taken into account for obvious reasons. But it's the reviews from those who do this for a living that shock me the most. How can people who watch movies for a living not fall in love with this ode to the magic of film? Baffled but in love with this film... Expand
  56. Feb 17, 2012
    The movie transcends simple minds, which is why people are giving it a low score. Don't listen to these other reviews, this is actually a very wonderful movie.
  57. Jun 21, 2012
    Poor comedy movie, with only a few moments worth a chuckle but with little else going for it and a waste of some good acting talent. The ridiculous, unbelievable plot line certainly doesn't help.
  58. Dec 27, 2011
    "Be Kind Rewind" One Line Review - C+.

A few funny moments, not paced as well as I expected, a bit slow and thin on story - with some likable if unbelievable characters and a message with heart.
  59. Nov 17, 2012
    The idea of this movie is great, the actors are great, but to be honest it's a bit boring. There are some funny moments though. Oh yeah, I can't miss an opportunity to mention Sigourney Weaver's appearance here!!!
  60. Nov 28, 2012
    With a premise that is too absurd to dislike, this movie ultimately proves to be more of a slightly funny drama than the comedy it was supposed to be.

1. Reviewed by: Kim Newman
    The remake/parody sequences - trailers for which are on the official site - are outstanding, but Black’s all-over-the-place mania and Mos Def’s slightly too bland orphan hero don’t quite tie the rest of the picture together. Still, it has heart. And you’d rather see this version of "Rush Hour 2" than the original.
  2. It's an exuberant, fanciful fable set amid the scruffy outskirts of American society, where people's need for escapism coincides with their desire to participate in its creation.
    A comedy without one foot on the ground is no more than a flight of fancy, as directionless as a balloon; the master clowns of silent cinema knew that, and so does Mr. Fletcher, the gravid elder statesman of this film. As he says to Mike and Jerry, “I appreciate your creativity, but let’s be realistic for a second.” Be kind. Erase.