7.6

1. JeffA
    Jan 1, 2010
    Ugh, another pretentious, boring "art" film. Truly lame. What is it with the french? I see so many of the worst films coming from there.
  2. Yvan
    Dec 9, 2009
    A stunning, melancholy film. Easily one of the best of the decade.
  3. IanP.
    Apr 20, 2001
    A masterwork - and most films I have seen lately would get ratings between 2-3.
  4. EricP.
    May 6, 2003
    The tendency with some French films: to think that being vague can manufacture a sense of the profound. This is not the case. When the film was over, I simply didn't care about anything I had just watched. A saw little evidence of a creative vision being brought to life. It was shallow and lazy.
  5. MikeG
    Dec 4, 2004
    The dancing is great, and the cinematography is wonderful. But it's a disjointed, often confusing movie, especially if you're not familiar with Billy Budd.
  6. Jean-ClaudeV.
    Dec 2, 2002
    Dark, sinister, and distinctly French, this film did everything right except for the stock footage and narrative. An terrific final scene.
  7. JoshT.
    Sep 27, 2002
    A mesmerizingly lyrical and enigmatic masterpiece; the best French film of the decade.
  8. MatthewD.
    Jan 22, 2004
    Pure cinema. Easily the most powerful movie I've seen in years. Claire Denis' masterwork. Simply beautiful.
  9. JohnM
    Feb 14, 2008
    Beautiful. And that ending..... elusive, yet unforgettable. One of the best concluding sequences I've ever seen.
  10. Elliott
    Nov 15, 2002
    It's like a marvelous ballet acted on the most breathtaking set you've ever seen.
  11. MaxA.
    Dec 17, 2006
    Brooding, plodding, self-conscious and silly. This is a caricature of a French art film. It goes nowhere for an hour and a half while the protagonist poses and smokes lots of cigarettes. In a word: merde.
  12. Nov 27, 2013
    Claire Denis consistently breaks the boundaries of conventional filmmaking without resorting to pretension. BEAU TRAVAIL may just be her masterpiece, though I have a true fondness for TROUBLE EVERY DAY.

1. So minimalist in characterization and dialogue that the plot all but evaporates -- and so does any dramatic power.
    Unique and unforgettable.