8.2

1. Jun 19, 2013
    My wife and I went to this movie because of the overwhelming positive reviews, and ended up disappointed. FYI, we did not see either of the prequels, and knew little of the premise. The movie is extremely well written and acted. The key to our disappointment was that this movie is 95% dialogue! The entire movie could have been done on stage. Certainly, the dialogue was excellent,My wife and I went to this movie because of the overwhelming positive reviews, and ended up disappointed. FYI, we did not see either of the prequels, and knew little of the premise. The movie is extremely well written and acted. The key to our disappointment was that this movie is 95% dialogue! The entire movie could have been done on stage. Certainly, the dialogue was excellent, biting and emotional. At times, I felt like I was back watching "Virginia Woolf" again. For us, the entertainment value was not there. I felt like I might have gotten the same enjoyment from reading this script, as from watching the movie. We go the the movies to be entertained. Ergo the mixed review.....excellent dialogue....minimal entertainment value. Expand
  2. Jul 22, 2013
    I have no idea how this movie gets any positive reviews. The director must have a lot of friends. My wife and I walked out. Scenes are unbearably long with rambling dialogue about nothing. There is no plot to this movie. It's just uninteresting people talking.
  3. Aug 9, 2013
    The reviews of this thought-garbage movie prove all critics, and most of the film industry, are Cartesian, schizophrenics.
    The bedrock of reality isn't thought. The bedrock of reality is being-in-the-world. It might sound like a strange or vague point to make about a movie but this movie exemplifies it in the worst way. I can't sum up this trilogy any better than to say it's tagline could be 'I Think, Therefore I am'. To see how this phrase might not be the ultimate truth look at how being really is.
    Being-in-the-world is gravity, repetition, and energy holding us in an orbit (think of the sun, the source of life). These three things make thought possible. Gravity can be love, caring, attraction, repulsion. Repetition can be cycles, seasons, habits, the basis of truth, waves. And energy can be any kind of energy.
    As for the scene at the table, a computer can play chess because chess is math and the language of math is fixed. A computer can't use language like us because language is affixed to being-in-the-world. Computers don't have being-in-the-world. Computers only have energy and repetition. For computers efficiency stands in for gravity. It's why they're so boring and artificial intelligence is brain-dead.
  4. Dec 13, 2013
    Just not realistic. People just don’t' act or talk like this, and as the whole point of the film is one of those that try to say something about life it's just pointless. Who would even relate to this anyway unless you were a white, upper middle class American? Don't waste your time.
  5. Oct 13, 2013
    Deep down in my heart, I felt like this was the 2nd WORSE MOVIE EVER MADE! it's WORSE THAN EVERY HORROR/ROM-COM MOVIES! it's like you are reading a Girl's Book...

(The good thing is: Now, everytime I need to check if a Reviewer is stupid, I can check if he/she liked this crap! hahahaha)
  6. Oct 25, 2013
    The woman is a NAG, negative and SO annoying I could barely finish watching the movie. In fact, I haven't finished watching it and I have to shout out to someone. The first movie was great, the second movie was good, this movie is bad. I love Ethan's character but the woman?...run Ethan, run. This
    woman's personality would make any man run for his life! Thumbs down!
  7. Oct 25, 2013
    I just watched this movie with my wife, while it probably was insightful and intelligently and realistically written, it was just boring. NOTHING HAPPENED in the whole movie. They talked then they talked, then they talked some more. I am not one of those guys who rates movies on how many people get shot, but please give me a little story or drama beyond the day to day life I canI just watched this movie with my wife, while it probably was insightful and intelligently and realistically written, it was just boring. NOTHING HAPPENED in the whole movie. They talked then they talked, then they talked some more. I am not one of those guys who rates movies on how many people get shot, but please give me a little story or drama beyond the day to day life I can experience at home without paying to see a movie. Wife thought it was boring too, she went to bed 2/3s of the way in. Expand
  8. Jan 4, 2014
    This is the most boring and overrated piece of crap I have ever seen. There should be awards give to those who manage to get to the end of this utterly nonsensical and uninteresting story about a couple of whom the woman is naggy and the guy has no charisma. I don't understand the reviews and I wish I haven't wasted my time trying to watch this DO NOT WATCH THIS
  9. Nov 25, 2013
    I would not have attempted to watch this had I realized it was the third of a trilogy. Having not seen the first two, I am completely baffled by the high ratings this movie has. There is absolutely no plot. I can understand enjoying the movie if you're already invested in the characters from the previous tales and just want to spend more time with them, but this completely failed toI would not have attempted to watch this had I realized it was the third of a trilogy. Having not seen the first two, I am completely baffled by the high ratings this movie has. There is absolutely no plot. I can understand enjoying the movie if you're already invested in the characters from the previous tales and just want to spend more time with them, but this completely failed to make me like them, and therefore I didn't care about what they had to say (which is all that happens for the entire movie), so it ended up being a waste of my time. Expand
  10. Dec 28, 2013
    One of the most boring movies I have ever seen. Why are they together? How self indulgent. All the critics have raved about the screenplay??? We fell asleep after and thankfully woke up when the credits were rolling.
  11. Jan 24, 2014
    The final scene of this trilogy was worthwhile. It was thoughtful, reflective and heartwarming. In my opinion the remainder of the trilogy (i.e. all three movies) didn't amount to much more than a record of some very plain conversations, which rarely offered any useful or unusual insights into human relationships.

1. Reviewed by: Mick LaSalle
    Jun 23, 2013
    The latest in the wonderful "Before" series does three important things: It breaks out of the courtship formula, yet retains the series' quality, and it moves the lives of Celine (Julie Delpy) and Jesse (Ethan Hawke) forward in ways that are satisfying and believable. True, a romance you once envied might now be a relationship you'd not want to be in, but as long as Celine and Jesse are still talking, there's hope.
  2. Reviewed by: Philip Kemp
    Jun 21, 2013
    A more-than-worthy, expectations-exceeding chapter in one of modern cinema’s finest love stories. As honest, convincing, funny, intimate and natural as its predecessors.
  3. Reviewed by: Dave Calhoun
    Jun 21, 2013
    Luckily, Hawke and Delpy remain as charming as ever, and their combined goofiness is more endearing than annoying. Winning, too, is the sense that this peculiar project, though imperfect, could grow old with its audience and its cast.