8.2

1. May 25, 2013
    “Before Midnight” is the third picture in the trilogy which started with “Before Sunrise” in 1995 and was then followed by “After Sunset” in 2004. This new film continues to explore the relationship between its stars and lovers, Julie Delpy and Ethan Hawke who, together with Kim Kirzan and Richard Linklater (the Director) co-wrote this film. Ms. Delpy and Mr. Hawke give honest and“Before Midnight” is the third picture in the trilogy which started with “Before Sunrise” in 1995 and was then followed by “After Sunset” in 2004. This new film continues to explore the relationship between its stars and lovers, Julie Delpy and Ethan Hawke who, together with Kim Kirzan and Richard Linklater (the Director) co-wrote this film. Ms. Delpy and Mr. Hawke give honest and meaningful performances in this film which is 90% dialogue coupled with a few house, hotel and outdoor drive scenes. But it is the dialogue that captures the audience and makes the film so worthwhile. The actors really do become their characters and though it might seem tedious on paper, the watching of these verbal exchanges is as engrossing and captivating as any action or musical film might seek to achieve. I give the film an 8 and recommend it be seen by all who are, who hope to be or whoever were in a significant romantic relationship. Expand
  2. Jun 8, 2013
    There is no action is this movie, just talk, talk, talk. Mostly between two main characters. But talk intelligent, most of the time serious and quite often sincere and honest. To make a movie such as that to be good is a piece of work. And it is. The screenplay is excellent and so are both leading performances. Add to this mixture a solid cinematography with breathtaking views of GreeceThere is no action is this movie, just talk, talk, talk. Mostly between two main characters. But talk intelligent, most of the time serious and quite often sincere and honest. To make a movie such as that to be good is a piece of work. And it is. The screenplay is excellent and so are both leading performances. Add to this mixture a solid cinematography with breathtaking views of Greece and you get a winner. Expand
  3. Aug 2, 2013
    Well I don't know-I certainly hoped our beloved characters would have some better luck then to get stuck into dysfunctional relationship with fighting and arguing about just everything.
  4. Sep 10, 2013
    Starting with Before Sunrise in 1995, the Before Trilogy has been the perfect anti blockbuster saga that depicts the lives of two people who just happen to find each other sitting on a train heading to Vienna. What follows that initial meeting is nothing short of magical. Jesse (Ethan Hawke) and his wife Celeste (Julie Delpy) and their twin girls are vacationing at a writers retreat inStarting with Before Sunrise in 1995, the Before Trilogy has been the perfect anti blockbuster saga that depicts the lives of two people who just happen to find each other sitting on a train heading to Vienna. What follows that initial meeting is nothing short of magical. Jesse (Ethan Hawke) and his wife Celeste (Julie Delpy) and their twin girls are vacationing at a writers retreat in Greece and for their last night they have been treated to a night exploring a small Greek town together, one that highlights each of their insecurities, hopes, dreams and inner most thoughts, thoughts that could bring this epic romance to an end. Before Midnight seems like an apt conclusion to this revelatory series as it is not only the best of the bunch but it's surely one of the best films of the year. The film doesn't shy away from the fears and relationship problems that hit people in their forties as they re-examine their lives. Midnight is the darkest of the three films but that only adds to the experience as the film exhibits a wealth of emotion established over three days of these peoples lives. A cracking romp, it's funny, intelligent and never once leaves you questioning what time it is. Even for someone unclear of Jesse and Celeste's history, Before Midnight is a detailed and personal film written by people who love these characters and want as many other people to do so too. The main reason its works as a film is because it involves you in a persons life that almost everyone can relate to in some way or another as Jesse comments on social dynamics and Celeste complains about the vulgarity of men you can associate with them in a way few films manage. As the film draws to a close the film leads into an anti-establishment climax as these characters shift and respond to things in a beautiful and painfully real way. While everything comes crashing down for these two you might see something you didn't want to see in yourself or you might glance upon the films ending and feel a glimmer of hope for these two and maybe by extension yourself. Expand
  5. Jul 15, 2013
    This film is like ease dropping on a couple's relationship, their life and everything in between. There are few scenes but endless dialogue, but it is done very effectively and simply. Funny, meaningful, and real.
  6. Jun 19, 2013
    When we met Celine (Julie Delpy), a young French woman, and Jesse (Ethan Hawke) a young American, in 1995 ‘s “Before Sunrise” we met a young couple who spent a night in Vienna walking and talking to and about each other just after meeting on a train. Nine years later in “Before Sunset” Jesse, now a married man, has written a best selling book about that evening with Celine, and is in ParisWhen we met Celine (Julie Delpy), a young French woman, and Jesse (Ethan Hawke) a young American, in 1995 ‘s “Before Sunrise” we met a young couple who spent a night in Vienna walking and talking to and about each other just after meeting on a train. Nine years later in “Before Sunset” Jesse, now a married man, has written a best selling book about that evening with Celine, and is in Paris on a book tour. They had lost contact with each other and now 9 years later Celine comes to the Parisian bookstore where he is making an appearance, and Jesse doesn’t make the plane he was suppose to leave on and they spend the day and evening walking and talking in Paris. We learn that he is now married and has a son while she is an environmentalist with a boyfriend she doesn’t see very often. The ending is ambiguous and there wasn’t talk of a third film.

This film in the series opens with Jesse taking his son Hank to the airport after the latter spent the summer with Jesse, Celine and their twin daughters. It has been 18 years since they first met and are now a couple living together, Jesse having divorced his wife, continued his career as a writer while Celine is being tempted by a job which she thinks she could get involved in. Jesse is thinking about he and Celine returning to America so he could be closer to his son but hasn’t discussed it with her yet.

There are three outstanding scenes that will stay with you with the first being when Celine and Jesse are at a dinner, given by the host of the writer’s retreat that they had spent the summer, and their friends. The talk among the six touches a bit on the couple’s problems but what lies underneath comes out later. One of the couples, as a present, leased a hotel room and a massage for two and volunteered to sit the twins. The second outstanding scene is the walk through town that Jesse and Celine take to the hotel. It is the scene that evening in the hotel where they, especially Celine, go at each other that makes the film. It is the accumulation of their life together and what makes it work and what is pulling it apart.

In this chapter in the story Ethan Hawke shines like he has never in any other picture including the two prequels to “Before Midnight”. Whereas Julie Delpy seemed to be the center of the Sunrise and Sunset movies Hawke walks away with this one though each gets equal time and Delpy spends time exposing her breasts in the most natural way.

The director Richard Linklater, who also wrote the screenplay with Hawke and Delpy, draws us into the film, let’s us see that the couple really love each other but have problems as most couples do. The Greek Peloponnese peninsula looks as romantic as it should be adding to the feel of the movie. Will there be a fourth film in 2022 so we can see if this couple will live happily ever after or?
  7. Jul 24, 2013
    Before midnight is the best movie of the year. Once more Richard Linklater make us explore the meaning of the true love and the difficulties that life can bring us with love, he achieved to direct a wonderful movie by presenting the beautiful places of Greece. The screenplay is absolutely amazing and very realistic, Richard Linklater, Julie Delpy and Ethan Hawke achieved to present to usBefore midnight is the best movie of the year. Once more Richard Linklater make us explore the meaning of the true love and the difficulties that life can bring us with love, he achieved to direct a wonderful movie by presenting the beautiful places of Greece. The screenplay is absolutely amazing and very realistic, Richard Linklater, Julie Delpy and Ethan Hawke achieved to present to us with their screenplay the meaning of true love and how their magical romance that we saw in Before Sunrise and in Before Sunset concludes to a usual marriage with its own problem that many people deal with in their daily life and they still struggling to find back their true love that they may have lost during their marriage. The cast of the movie is one more time excellent, Julie Delpy is better than any other time, she gives a flawless performance that should lead her to the Academy Awards. Ethan Hawke is also very good in his role and the rest of the cast did a great job, especially the great (well know for her movies back in '60s in Greece) Xenia Kalogeropoulou gives a sweet, touching performance that will remain in our memories. The soundtrack is also amazing, the song ''Gia ena tango'' sung by Haris Alexiou (one of the best singers in Greece) gives a sweet melody to the movie. Now, i can say that the trilogy (Before Sunrise,Before Sunset,Before Midnight) is the best trilogy ever made. Before Midnight totally deserves an Oscar nomination for Best Adapted Screenplay and a nomination for Best Leading Actress (Julie Delpy) and why not a nomination for Best Motion Picture. It is difficult to believe that the love story of Jesse and Celine ends with that movie, because these movies taught us many true things, like that even a romance that we think that it could only exist in movies, it can become a usual story like the marriages we meet every day with its own problems, but also with its own moments of happiness and with this movie we can understand the meaning of true love and the meaning of the family. To sum up, we have cried and we have felt the moments of happiness of the romance of Jesse and Celine and we hope that in another 9 years we will see another movie of their love and their family. Expand
  8. Jul 29, 2013
    The final (maybe) part in Linklater's 'Before' trilogy is so incredibly well acted and made you realy feel like you are there with these characters experiencing their emotions, joy, pain, problems through 3 different stages in their lives (each film is a different part). It's best to rewatch the first two because you can better appreciate the evolution of who these people were and who theyThe final (maybe) part in Linklater's 'Before' trilogy is so incredibly well acted and made you realy feel like you are there with these characters experiencing their emotions, joy, pain, problems through 3 different stages in their lives (each film is a different part). It's best to rewatch the first two because you can better appreciate the evolution of who these people were and who they have become. Each of the 3 films were made 9 years appart so as the actors got older, so did their characters in the story. I would very much like too see another chapter in another 9 years, sure would be interesting! Expand
  9. Jun 23, 2013
    I discuss the movie but give away no plot elements.

I discuss the movie but give away no plot elements.

Everyone has their favorite in this trilogy, but I'm not sure if I prefer this to the second one (my favorite until now) or not. This third installment is surely more dramatic and closer to a 'regular movie.' There's lots of walking and talking (and driving and talking) in long long long takes, which I love, but there are also quite a few other characters in an earlier scene, which I enjoyed, and quite a fight between the two main characters, which I enjoyed, but which also made the film feel a little less of a piece with the prior two. I'm just mentioning qualities, not saying they were better or worse.

But I have criticism. The film ends too abruptly. The previous film ended abruptly, but it was perfect as it marked a huge turning point. This fim ended merely in the eye of the storm, not at a truly significant moment. They created a bigger movie than they had space for, and one that didn't fit the walking/talking near real-time conceit of the series. But rather than follow through on that very different film, giving it what it needed on its own terms, they merely cut it short to keep in step with the series' style. Not satisfying for me. I just got hints of the movie they restrained themselves from actually making.

Also, in Before Sunrise the two had just met; in Before Sunset they saw each other for the first time since that one-day affair in Before Sunrise. BUT in this film they've been together steadily for nine years and yet it doesn't feel that way. Yes there's the ex-wife and his son. But it didn't feel authentic. It felt put on. Either the writing didn't get at it well, or the acting didn't bring it across, or a little of both. I've been with my wife for one year, and I could make a gesture or utter a phrase that would have no meaning for anyone else, but she would know exactly what that phrase or gesture was about, and respond accordingly. There was none of that in this movie. Everything, including all the stuff going to the history of the past 9 years with this couple, was spelled out too much. When you do that the audience understands, but does not believe. You lose authenticity.

I've seen this done well in films. A gesture or suggestion or word, evokes a response that the audience does not comprehend in granular literal detail, but they get the KIND of thing that's going on. That he has struck a nerve going to some past indiscretion of hers. Or she has said a key word that brings on an old guilt trip he's had laid on him by her time and again. When it is not all spelled out in expository fashion, but we get the gist, that works better. It feels more real. The first two movies did not have to handle this issue because the couple had no history that we had not seen on screen. This one should have handled the issue, but it didn't. So my suspension of disbelief was not quite as complete. Granted this is a nitpicky detail, but it can mark the difference between a good movie or good actor, and great movie or great actor. This film fell squarely on the "good" side of the fence, not the "great" partly for this reason.

My other criticism goes to the sex. Yes sex. I have nothing against sex scenes normally. Angelina Jolie and Mr. Bandares in the DVD version (not the screen version) of that movie where she plays a mail order bride, naked and grinding explicitly on the bed while the camera watches from above? Go to it, I say! But this movie is very different and it did not work. The two are going to have a fight so, I imagine in order to make the fight seem like a bigger change and more dramatic, they put the two into a very cozy romantic situation just before the fight. And that situation involves Ethan sucking on Julie's breasts, her nipples. Not suggested or simulated but Mr. Hawke gets down and dirty right in front of your face, sucking, pulling, and basically giving any infant in the audience a tutorial on basic survival skills.

This failed to generate that cozy warm feeling of intimacy for me as a viewer. Instead it made me feel uncomfortable, as if I was getting TMI and was a third wheel in the room and should leave them alone. So I'm sitting their squirming and clearing my throat (hoping they'll notice I'm there and stop) rather than feeling the warm cozy intimacy they are feeling. I just kept thinking, these two actors are friends in real life, good friends but still, they are just friends. Which makes this sooooo awkward. And they're continuing to have their chatty chat while this is going on! Which almost makes it hilarious if it wasn't so weird!

All of this said, I enjoyed the film. It's darker, much more so than than the previous two. It's also a slighter film where a more involved film was called for. But what was on the screen (sans nipple sucking) though it was not enough I did enjoy.
  10. Jun 22, 2013
    Before Midnight is the third in the series of films which have become an unlikely success story in a world of block buster or comic strip character sequels. Not as good as its predecessors, Midnight is so talky that one wishes at times that someone would take a breath. Basically consisting of five major scenes, the airport and car journey sequences see the film off to a promising startBefore Midnight is the third in the series of films which have become an unlikely success story in a world of block buster or comic strip character sequels. Not as good as its predecessors, Midnight is so talky that one wishes at times that someone would take a breath. Basically consisting of five major scenes, the airport and car journey sequences see the film off to a promising start only to have it falter in the next, a dinner, which is without question the worst part of the film. Negative reaction sets in here due to bad supporting actors and irritating writing which, whilst trying to be profound one moment and frivolous the next, is just annoying. The heart of the film takes place in a hotel room where disappointments, criticism and recriminations come to the fore. It is in this approximately 40 minute sequence that the film really comes alive demonstrating that despite all attempts to the contrary long term relationships do become jaded and always need to be worked on. Delpy and, especially, Hawke excel here. They inhabit their characters like a second skin and Midnight rises to the expected level which the first hour fails to attain. Expand
  11. Jan 24, 2014
    The final scene of this trilogy was worthwhile. It was thoughtful, reflective and heartwarming. In my opinion the remainder of the trilogy (i.e. all three movies) didn't amount to much more than a record of some very plain conversations, which rarely offered any useful or unusual insights into human relationships.
  12. Jul 16, 2013
    Jesse and Celine are my favourite fictional couple. I followed them from their first meeting 20 years ago and I am still not tired with them. As I expected, this instalment is a great movie, both as stand-alone and as the third part of the series.

In this chapter, Jesse and Celine deal with the inevitable problems and disappointments of approaching middle age. They are both still very attractive and well-articulated, but now they carry the burden of responsibilities and are starting to consider the idea of their final demise.

This time they walk and talk in Greece, during the last day of a six-week holiday. Their first conversation takes place while they drive back to their friend's house. They talk about the burden of parenthood, work problems and relocating to the US. No flirting, but still excellently executed. The second long conversation is at dinner, with their friends. It touches several subjects, among which the different perception of love, according to your age. Since the age of their friends varies from early 20s to late 60s, the conversation is very compelling.

Then Jesse and Celine walk to their hotel, where their friends insisted they stay to get one night of privacy and romance. We understand clearly that nowadays they hardly ever have conversations that are not utilitarian, which makes the situation very realistic. Once they reach the hotel, drama ensues in the shape of a major argument.

Anybody who quarrelled with a loved one will undoubtedly admire the skilled way in which the argument is presented: the anger about trivial matters, the resentment about past events, the illogical change of topics…. During this exchange their national idiosyncrasies are exploited in a subtle, yet funny way (Celine cannot pronounce an English word, etc…). But no matter how bad things get with them, I still hope they will stick together and will transform their passionate love into a mature feeling.
  13. Jul 30, 2013
    Probably the best movie I've seen so far this year, despite the fact that occasionally you're going to want to yell TIME OUT! at the screen. A third act fight scene is so intense that I wanted to reach for the glass of wine I saw on the screen. The film is comprised mostly of long takes, and feature the main stars simply talking.
  14. Nov 3, 2013
    It is fun to watch and brave enough (6 long sequences!), but quite flawed. At times it feels that these two have never had a conversation before, given the themes and issues that they keep revisiting. Some parts seem too forced and artificial for such a mature (in time) relationship. It looks like someone felt that "someone has to be always talking or it will seem that there is no content!It is fun to watch and brave enough (6 long sequences!), but quite flawed. At times it feels that these two have never had a conversation before, given the themes and issues that they keep revisiting. Some parts seem too forced and artificial for such a mature (in time) relationship. It looks like someone felt that "someone has to be always talking or it will seem that there is no content! -even during the sunset scene!!!!-" (nothing further from the intention or the French films that give inspiration to Before Midnight, where natural conversations are as important as scene composition, space and silence) Great effort from the actors that must still be wondering "couldn't we just shut up and kiss?!" Expand
  15. Nov 2, 2013
    Easily the best written script of the year... shear magic... honest, raw, difficult to watch at times, funny, and sexy... best writing of the year. I only hope they continue the story following these characters in another 9 years!
  16. Nov 20, 2013
    We only know Jesse and Céline for two days in their lives (BEFORE SUNRISE 1995, 8/10; BEFORE SUNSET 2004, 9/10), but as if we have invested too much already, so at the beginning of this third chapter, when we realize that they have been living together for all these 9 years by now and even had two twin girls, is it a truly romantic fairytale comes true or the day-to-day reality has erodedWe only know Jesse and Céline for two days in their lives (BEFORE SUNRISE 1995, 8/10; BEFORE SUNSET 2004, 9/10), but as if we have invested too much already, so at the beginning of this third chapter, when we realize that they have been living together for all these 9 years by now and even had two twin girls, is it a truly romantic fairytale comes true or the day-to-day reality has eroded the edges and corners and exhausted their acuity in dissecting what they are really thinking? The triad of Linklater, Delpy and Hawke will present us a most satisfactory delight delving into these two soul mates’ current states of mind.

Again tracing a one-day journey of the couple in their last day of their summer getaway in Southern Greece, in the morning, they see off Jesse’s son Hank in the airport, who has to return to his mother, Jesse’s ex-wife, which aggravates Jesse’s paternity guilt for being absent in most of Hank’s life, elicits an idea to move back to USA with the entire family, while they’re driving back from the airport, the discord occurs when Céline rebuffs the connotation of the unscheduled idea, and a time-bomb is ticking, the first long take in the car signals as a gambit to re-ignite the audience members’ coveted interest in their love story.

Under the magnificent scenery of this ancient land, their farewell lunch with friends carries a casual spirit but the small talk is overflowing with engaging and emotively touching insights about love from different ages and experiences, Jesse and Céline are mainly listeners, but Delpy manage to pull off a splendid ad lib mimics a brainless bimbo flirting with Jesse the writer and talking about Romeo and Juliet, so hilarious and this is a patina when they are surrounded with other people.

Later, they leave their daughters to friends and head to a hotel since they are treated to have a private evening in a hotel to culminate their last night there (with a couple massage coupon), clearly it is a god-given opportunity for them to express real thoughts without the interference of their children. Meandering in the town, everything is like deja vu, they are like two people deeply in love with each other and the sexual attraction is simmering when they reach the room, but their carnal engagement is interrupted by a pivotal call from Hank, their following tête-à-tête turns sours when Céline bickers about her sacrifice in the relationship and the frustration of parenting, utters discontent and spurns the prospect of moving to USA, meanwhile Jesse appears to be the calm one, but his passive-aggressive strategy fails to appease her and they begin to blame faults to each other, until Céline storms out and leaves the deal-breaker I don’t love you anymore”. From convivial to acrid, it is so spot-on in everyman’s world, then the ending plays a nice trick on the ambivalent possibilities of their future, fingers-crossed a fourth one will come another 9 years later and it will be worth the wait.

Thumbs up to both Hawke and Delpy’s scintillating acting, their resounding rapport and flawless two-hander should have earned some serious awards recognition apart from their effervescent script, good luck for a third time, Delpy could be a dark horse to bag a BEST LEADING ACTRESS nomination, and she is also French, Oscar voters, remember?
  17. Jan 2, 2014
    I was somewhat disappointed with this film after all I read as I expected more. I acknowledge that it is well acted and offers more visual variety than the previous two installments in the trilogy. However, I want more from a movie than just a conversation and I hope the director isn't tempted to make another "Before installment as I am not planning on seeing it if he does.
  18. Jul 12, 2014
    Not as good as Before sunset. I still like the conversations they had, and the scenery, but nothing stood out.I also didn`t like the ending much. The ending is what probably left a bad taste in my mouth.
  19. Dec 29, 2013
    If you want to watch a film about love, family, sex, and the complex differences between men and women then this is the film for you. The scene in the hotel room is priceless even though I think Celine is crazy. A-
  20. Feb 24, 2014
    Warning to people that are going to watch this, it is much better if you have watched the first two. This movie is all dialogue and I mean every single bit and the scenes are excruciatingly long but in the end this movie shows the true side of marriage and shows how difficult it can really be. I would give this a 58.9/100 mostly due to the fact that the pacing was slow.
  21. Aug 21, 2014
    This is not a movie, this is a one hour forty minute conversation so beautifully scripted that each and every line force you to admire it, love it, feel it and most importantly live it...!!
    Although not 100% realistic, things not always go that smooth and people not always talk like that but by reducing the boring and not so nice realistic part from the movie(or the conversation), they made it more beautiful and heart touching.
  22. Jan 21, 2014
    A lot of the complaints are coming from people who haven't seen the first 2. When viewed as a trilogy, the "Before" series is absolutely fantastic, and this movie is without a doubt the best of the 3. This explores the true meaning of love, why we feel love, why we experience love, why we love who we love. It is so profound, and so damn near flawless. I understand why some find it slow,A lot of the complaints are coming from people who haven't seen the first 2. When viewed as a trilogy, the "Before" series is absolutely fantastic, and this movie is without a doubt the best of the 3. This explores the true meaning of love, why we feel love, why we experience love, why we love who we love. It is so profound, and so damn near flawless. I understand why some find it slow, and boring, and drawn-out, but if you watch all three, and you listen to everything they say, you'll find tons of gems, and you'll hopefully be entertained. For me, it made me view love in a different way than I ever had. Expand
  23. Jul 26, 2014
    Strong performances. It makes a lot of sense dramatically and compositionally to have Jesse and Celine bickering, reintroducing previous ponderings about soul mates, fate and everlasting love; questioning them. The film culminates in a hotel scene that's rather exhausting to bear witness to. I found Celine intolerable. I guess that she's probably supposed to be and perhaps has her reasonsStrong performances. It makes a lot of sense dramatically and compositionally to have Jesse and Celine bickering, reintroducing previous ponderings about soul mates, fate and everlasting love; questioning them. The film culminates in a hotel scene that's rather exhausting to bear witness to. I found Celine intolerable. I guess that she's probably supposed to be and perhaps has her reasons to be. It's rough to see the couple having devolved into exactly the people they once swore never to become. Expand
  24. Jan 8, 2014
    I think this is a very very interesting film. Maybe it is not the best film of the trilogy, but it gives aoriginal an nice ending to the film series. The three films have something special, that catch you, and I say this because i was a hole afternoon watching the films. There aren't like many othe comedies, thay have, and specially this, has the different way to talk about a romanticI think this is a very very interesting film. Maybe it is not the best film of the trilogy, but it gives aoriginal an nice ending to the film series. The three films have something special, that catch you, and I say this because i was a hole afternoon watching the films. There aren't like many othe comedies, thay have, and specially this, has the different way to talk about a romantic story of a man and a woman. I find it really well. Expand
  25. May 6, 2014
    My comments will be directed mostly towards the writing of the movie. I thought it was a beautiful looking movie. Midnight has a more realistic look to it. In terms of the picture, it is not better or worst looking than the first two, it is just different--intentional different, I think.

This is the best written film. The most romantic, I think. It was easy for the two characters to fall in love in the first movie. They were young, experimental, and free. In the second movie, they have been disappointed by love, but the desire was still there and the biggest huddle they had to leap was the institute of marriage. This movie may seem depressing and full of hateful speech, but these are my arguments that this is the most romantic movie of all three.

1. Celine is trying to make herself fall out of love with Jessie, and she is trying to make Jessie fall out of love with her. She says at one point that Jessie bread does not have the same color it had when he was young. If you remember, she mentioned in sunrise that this was one of her favorite physical feature of him. In her mind, she is trying to construct arguments that would let her reach the conclusion that she does not love him anymore. This is one of her arguments to herself. Jessie rebutted. Then she tries to argue that Jessie hinders her spirit to be a strong independent women. Jessie rebutted. However, leaving France is the one thing Celine will not do. This is not because she hates the United States so much. It is because, by going back to America, to Celine, Jessie admitting that he made a mistake nine years earlier. Celine does not want their love and their life and their children to be a mistake in Jessie's mind. This is why she does not let Jessie talks to her son on the phone, she would like to avoid the topic altogether, but it is eating away at him.

2. What is in question is not the fact that they love each other and that they want to be together, it is the fact that they are facing the biggest huddle in their relationship: "I **** up my whole life because of you." That is not what a women wants to hear, but in respects to his son, that statement is absolutely true. He choose Celine over his family back in America. Celine knows it is true, and she knows it does not means Jessie does not love her, but the only way she will admit it ( "it" being the fact that She and her daughters are Jessie's biggest mistake and biggest regret in regards to his son). How does a mother admit that her children and herself is a father's mistake, well she has to convince herself that she does not love him.

Of course this is art, and many other possible explanations of this movie are plausible. However, when I first seen the movie I felt the same way as many other fans. I felt like it was dark, and depressing, and I felt Celine was being unreasonable harsh. But if we were to truly ponder what Jessie is asking Celine to do, the fact that she is even considering it, is a testament to how strong and powerful their love is and has always been. This is the most romantic movie because the huddle they have to jump to maintain their love is taller than it was in the first two movies.

A few comments on the ending. Yes, as one user suggested, it ended in "the eye of the storm." I'm not sure that is a bad thing. However, the last conversation I felt was very important. Did Celine surrender? I think when she broke into the character of the "stupid, simple girl" that Jessie is suppose to want, it represented the most heartbreaking moment of the series. Heartbreakingly sad, or heartbreakingly romantic. This movie gives you the chance to pick. Best Three American romance movies ever.

How did 12 Years a Slave win best screenplay? Go pick up a history book and read, you will have the same experience as watching 12 years a Slave--beautiful looking movie, but no new twist to the same story. That is another issue.
  26. Mar 17, 2014
    While reading The Guardian's 2010 Ranking for "The 25 best romantic
    films of all time", I found two Richard Linklater's films: "Before
    Sunrise" and "Before Sunset". I then watched them, and I agreed. Now, it comes the third film in Richard Linklater, Ethan Hawke, and Julie Delpy's intimate and romantic series that follows the stories of lovers Jesse and Celine. You can watch
    While reading The Guardian's 2010 Ranking for "The 25 best romantic
    films of all time", I found two Richard Linklater's films: "Before
    Sunrise" and "Before Sunset". I then watched them, and I agreed.

Now, it comes the third film in Richard Linklater, Ethan Hawke, and
    Julie Delpy's intimate and romantic series that follows the stories of
    lovers Jesse and Celine.

You can watch "Before Midnight" and appreciate the film on its own
    right. But, I advise you to first see the two previous films (Sunrise
    and Sunset, in that order), before this one. Then you will understand
    that "Before Midnight" is a powerful film, but IMHO it could not be
    fully appreciated if you could not discover Jesse and Celine before.

There is not much to say, but advise you to watch this film series to
    appreciate great acting, great stories and great original films.

I really hope for this love story to continue. And I am sure that some
    of you may agree with me that these romantic films, may sometime be
    ranked as the best romantic film series of all time.
  27. May 3, 2014
    Richard Linklater, Julie Delpy and Ethan Hawke reunite for what is probably the most consistent, and definitely the most underrated film trilogy of all time.
  28. Jan 22, 2015
    It's just as strong as the other 2 and certainly the darkest one of the 3. Before Midnight gets goofy at times but only because it genuinely reflects human behaviour as it exists in our own world. Conversations have never felt as fresh as they did hear. It ends perfectly setting new standards for what a love story can be.
  29. Feb 5, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Ms of Sisyphus

Make no mistake, Linklater may be credited as the director, but this is a Julie Delpy film. And she's on fire! Poor Ethan Hawke. He can barely hold his own and keep stride with her. Delpy reminds us why old-school feminist rage is still so important and relevant. And even though Hawke is a loyal, easy-going stay-at-home dad, he still believes fairies will wipe his pee off the toilet seat.

I saw this movie last night in a budget cinema in a working-class neighbourhood. I heard men laugh triumphantly after Hawke would sensitively and rationally, as he put it, scold Delpy. He saw anger as a negative. She saw it as a necessity. She was inspired when her children demonstrated outbursts of anger. But Hawke has the privilege of being content. Women in the audience didn't laugh quite as hard when Delpy counter-scolded Hawke.

Two covered Islamic girls sat beside me and from their laughter I could tell they enjoyed and even related to the gender and cultural conflicts waged between the two characters. (There was an sufficient amount of American-bashing from Ms. Delpy.) But did they agree with Delpy's feminist thesis? Were they prepared to stand up to their religious and patriarchal authority figures in their household and in their community at large? Would they take to the streets and burn their hijabs along with their bras? Or was the message ironic to them? A cautionary tale of a western woman's stubborn but doomed battle for equality?

And after 50 years and counting, I wonder.

1. Reviewed by: Mick LaSalle
    Jun 23, 2013
    The latest in the wonderful "Before" series does three important things: It breaks out of the courtship formula, yet retains the series' quality, and it moves the lives of Celine (Julie Delpy) and Jesse (Ethan Hawke) forward in ways that are satisfying and believable. True, a romance you once envied might now be a relationship you'd not want to be in, but as long as Celine and Jesse are still talking, there's hope.
  2. Reviewed by: Philip Kemp
    Jun 21, 2013
    A more-than-worthy, expectations-exceeding chapter in one of modern cinema’s finest love stories. As honest, convincing, funny, intimate and natural as its predecessors.
  3. Reviewed by: Dave Calhoun
    Jun 21, 2013
    Luckily, Hawke and Delpy remain as charming as ever, and their combined goofiness is more endearing than annoying. Winning, too, is the sense that this peculiar project, though imperfect, could grow old with its audience and its cast.