5.8

1. Sep 18, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I thought this movie had extreme potential, and the acting was fantastic except for a few pregnant pauses and awkward plot situations, however it overall left a bad taste in my mouth and it was for me a poor job at a dating and cheating film that made an excuse to film gratuitous boobies. I loved the flame-throwing, the cars, and the bond and comedy between the two friends, but other than that I wanted to leave but couldn't because my friend bought the tickets so I was forced to sit through two hours in a film about basically nothing. There were also a few holes and a filming mistake where (spoiler alert) a character trades his car for a motorcycle, but you see a scene when he's driving home in the car. I really wanted to see this film be more about the muscle car and flame-throwing fantasy and less about the gratuitous boy meets girl then things go sour story. I found it boring and emotionally painful, and I kept saying to myself, "Why are films like these allowed to be played in major theaters?". The movie could not decide if it was a comedy or drama, and I would not call this film a black comedy. Expand
  2. Aug 10, 2011
    I wish all parties involved in this film well, but it really didn't do anything for me except make me yawn and eventually wonder when it would all be over. I am really surprised by the acclaim being thrown on this film. Reading the positive reviews makes me think of the children's story, "The Emperor's New Clothes." Decent music was well used, but the slacker story was messy and too over the top.
  3. Sep 24, 2012
    Bellflower one of the worst independent films out there and these are my reason, it was painful to watch, the acting complete sucked, the dialogue was bland, the ending was the worst part. i can only praise its shoestring budget which was the remarkable thing about it. Evan Glodell watches to much Tarantino. If you plan on watching it be prepared to be disappointed.
  4. Dec 26, 2012
    Perhaps this IS the film debut of a major avant-garde talent. Possibly, BELLFLOWER is the bleeding edge of a new and punishing cinematic style. Conceivably, this is the precocious work of a motion picture master. Then again, maybe the movie just sucked.

Glodell never lets his creation spin out of control. Bellflower revs the engine of an exciting new maverick.
  2. Reviewed by: Tirdad Derakhshani
    Sep 15, 2011
    Bellflower has plenty of rough edges and it suffers from a bad case of hipper-than-thou-ness. But it's a triumph.
  3. Reviewed by: J.R. Jones
    Sep 15, 2011
    Glodell seems to be reaching for the nihilistic buddy romance of a movie like "Mean Streets" (1973), but without the serious intent; despite all the roiling emotions, this begins to feel like a pile-up of macho fetish items and stylistic affectations.