Beowulf

6.3

1. Apr 26, 2013
    As a Greek I always thought that film adaptations of Greek epic songs, mytholgy or history were the worst kind. I have to admit, I was wrong. Beowulf is BY FAR the most disgracing piece of computer images put together. If you have read the book the film is absurd. If you haven't it's demented. Thank Odin the book is miles and LEAGUES away from the piece of junk the collaborators of thisAs a Greek I always thought that film adaptations of Greek epic songs, mytholgy or history were the worst kind. I have to admit, I was wrong. Beowulf is BY FAR the most disgracing piece of computer images put together. If you have read the book the film is absurd. If you haven't it's demented. Thank Odin the book is miles and LEAGUES away from the piece of junk the collaborators of this retardation came up with. If Beowulf was anything like what was presented in the film, then the "Lord of the Rings" would have been called "The Grey King's Biography" and it would have been written by someone else. In short; if any Geatish hero still exists, I call upon thee, to slay the producers and director of this atrocity. These are the only monsters that endager your kingdom. Expand
  2. Dec 16, 2010
    None of the reviewers who gave it over a 30 actually have ever read beowulf, I have and this has almost zero to do with the epic poem. It is just a bad attempt to "hollywoodize" the poem
  3. Enrique
    Nov 14, 2007
    Just another piece of junk.
  4. JohnL.
    Nov 17, 2007
    Absolute garbage!!!! Anyone wanting to go see good cg should buy final fantasy advent children.Im familiar with the beowulf legend and this movie represented it fairly but that doesnt make for a good movie..The cg was very poor the overall look was completely sparse and it was so boring through the whole thing I was tempted to walk out as many others did.The movie was generally pretty Absolute garbage!!!! Anyone wanting to go see good cg should buy final fantasy advent children.Im familiar with the beowulf legend and this movie represented it fairly but that doesnt make for a good movie..The cg was very poor the overall look was completely sparse and it was so boring through the whole thing I was tempted to walk out as many others did.The movie was generally pretty quiet.. there wasnt much of a score nor was there any effective bgs which made it that much easier to tune out..My friend agreed and it left us both unsatisfied and ripped off in the end...Save your money and wait 3 months for the dvd..The 1 by the way is just for ANgelina Jolie she was gorgeous in it. Expand
  5. KrisB
    Nov 17, 2007
    This movie is dumb. Only go if you want to see Angelina Jolie's boobs minus the nipples. The horse jumping over the burning bridge in this was possibly the dumbest thing that I have ever witnessed in a movie.
  6. MarkD.
    Nov 17, 2007
    Awful film. Essentially there are only 3 locations in the whole film!
  7. ChristianPowers
    Nov 19, 2007
    Don't be distracted by mediocre video game animation. This is a bad movie that throws the original epic out the window of a shiny Hollywood limo.
  8. JayS.
    Nov 19, 2007
    This movie was awful. It is one of the worst of the year and ,quite possibly, of all time. The movie was no where close to the book. The first hour and a half was dumb as hell and I couldn't care less about the last 30 minutes where it started to put itself back together. One question, why the hell did he have to keep taking his clothes off when he fights? I found it completely This movie was awful. It is one of the worst of the year and ,quite possibly, of all time. The movie was no where close to the book. The first hour and a half was dumb as hell and I couldn't care less about the last 30 minutes where it started to put itself back together. One question, why the hell did he have to keep taking his clothes off when he fights? I found it completely unnecessary. I laughed more than I was impressed with this movie(which was quite a bit.) I mean, come on! The "strategical placement" of the environment to block Beowulf's "Little Wulf"? That was freaking hilarious. I fell out of my chair laughing. I cant see how people can enjoy this piece of crap, it's unbelievable. Expand
  9. EspressoMachine
    Nov 20, 2007
    Terrible. Just terrible. The animated actors are all stuck in the Uncanny Valley.
  10. Printninja
    Nov 25, 2007
    I would rather sniff a baboon's butt then sit through 5 minutes of this travesty.
  11. slipninja
    Nov 25, 2007
    I've walked out of fewer than five movies in my entire life, and this was one of them. I'm sorry, but I don't see how an awful story/script can be redeemed by groundbreaking special effects. The only demographic I see this satisfying are 14 year old video game addicts, and the few adults who think the next breakthrough in Hollywood CGI constitutes "art" in film. I can just I've walked out of fewer than five movies in my entire life, and this was one of them. I'm sorry, but I don't see how an awful story/script can be redeemed by groundbreaking special effects. The only demographic I see this satisfying are 14 year old video game addicts, and the few adults who think the next breakthrough in Hollywood CGI constitutes "art" in film. I can just imagine how the script read... BEOWULF: AAAAHHHHHHH!!!!! Cut to Grendel. GRENDEL: AAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!! Cut to Beowulf's soldier. SOLDIER: AAAAHHHHHHH!!!!! Cut to King Hrothgar. HROTHGAR: AAAAAHHHHH!!!!!! And here's the real problem... CGI is getting so realistic it's almost good enough to fool you into believing the animated characters are real people. WHY do we want to do this? Is there some hidden virtue getting to this point? Consider this... why do people go to hear live musical performances when they can listen to practically perfect studio recordings without leaving their couch? Expand
  12. JarrodK
    Nov 29, 2007
    I had to see this movie as a requirement for an English Class, and I have to say that it is the worst movie that I have seen all year. The liberties the writers take with the script are just downright ridiculous and do nothing to improve the story. Angelina Jolie as Grendel's mother? Wow, that really stretches both the Epic of Beowulf and John Gardner's Grendel. This movie had I had to see this movie as a requirement for an English Class, and I have to say that it is the worst movie that I have seen all year. The liberties the writers take with the script are just downright ridiculous and do nothing to improve the story. Angelina Jolie as Grendel's mother? Wow, that really stretches both the Epic of Beowulf and John Gardner's Grendel. This movie had so much potential, but really wasted the charm that the original story had and instead replaced it with animated sexual lust. A resounding 2 out of 10. Expand
  13. AnadeaD.
    Nov 30, 2007
    What a piece of Dragon poo. I mean, a demon-Angelina Jolie-lookalike with high heels? Well at least I had a good laugh with Beowulf constantly taking his cloths off, we called him FKK-Wulf afterwards...
  14. Celtance
    Dec 5, 2007
    There are few things in this film that may remind you of the 8th century epic poem which it is supposedly based on. Pros: Some battle instances and scenary layout. Cons: -No deep understanding at all of Germanic conscience. -Angelina Jolie's character is a platitude in itself thanks to "modern" additions (female fluidity, females and temptation...etc). -In the poem, beowulf cuts the There are few things in this film that may remind you of the 8th century epic poem which it is supposedly based on. Pros: Some battle instances and scenary layout. Cons: -No deep understanding at all of Germanic conscience. -Angelina Jolie's character is a platitude in itself thanks to "modern" additions (female fluidity, females and temptation...etc). -In the poem, beowulf cuts the heads of Grendel and his mother. In the "modern" version, Mr. Zemeckis seems more interested in hinting at a sexual curse (with profuse tasteless puns and one-liners throughout the film) than in rendering the epic poem as it was originally compiled. -Complete misunderstanding of the conflict between Germanic and Christian thought in the original poem. -I bet Mr. Zemeckis has never read J. R. R. Tolkien's article "The Monsters and the Critics" in order to get to know what the monster deal in this epic poem is about. The film actually blasts away the sense of doom in these Germanic tribes' conscience and pays no attention to the description that the original 8th-century poem makes of Grendel and his mother. The important thing to Mr. Zemeckis seems just to display Miss Jolie and to bring up a circa 1975 depiction of grendel as a victim of society. It is a "passtime" film easily entertaining to people who have not read the original poem, who had no idea about its plot or cultural context and who may not express their disgust at Mr. Zemeckis' platitudinal and superficial portrayal of Germanic society. The director, the actors and the scriptwriter should have read the Anglo Saxon poem first (or Seamus Heaney's verse translation) and some articles on it, including Tolkien's "The Monsters and the Critics". This film is a "fast-food passtime", a lost opportunity that pays little homage to the original Anglo-Saxon work. Expand
  15. JamesM.
    Dec 5, 2007
    The movie just failed to interest me on ANY level.
  16. MichaelT.
    Dec 10, 2007
    okay you can work with cgi. wow... So does the video game community for quite some time already... I only went to see it because I had free tickets... I walked out after I think about 20 minutes give or take (first time ever I walked out on a movie) and went for a drink... I had a couple of Long Island Ice Teas... They were good... It makes more sense to rate the bar next to the movie okay you can work with cgi. wow... So does the video game community for quite some time already... I only went to see it because I had free tickets... I walked out after I think about 20 minutes give or take (first time ever I walked out on a movie) and went for a drink... I had a couple of Long Island Ice Teas... They were good... It makes more sense to rate the bar next to the movie theatre. But seriously, who (outside Brad Pitt obviously and pubescent teenagers) still thinks Angelina Jolie is good-looking? I mean she never had acting skills anyway so CG is her futere I guess... even there she looks as fake as in real life... And the first twenty so minutes wern't really that well-done either... I've seen better videogames so.... Expand
  17. TommyH.
    Dec 12, 2007
    "I...am...Beowulf! *croaky*"? What the hell? This is the worst phrase I never heard before (plus this film sucks, and has terrible stories). Ok, here's a great and catchy phrase: "This...is...SPARTA!!". Now this is what I call "best voice". Actor who played as Beowulf, please drink a lot of water.
  18. SteveP.
    Dec 12, 2007
    this movie was so bad it didnt even follow the book
  19. AsherR.
    Dec 16, 2007
    This movie is horrible. It was a total piece of garbage. Sure the 3D effects were amazing but that doesn't make up for the terribly stupid plot I had to endure. Do not waste your time and/or money on this movie.
  20. OhshiA.
    Dec 19, 2007
    This movie was juvenile. It lost significance by departing from the original story. Instead of getting an ancient epic that questions the legitimacy of oral tradition itself, you get a 2-hour CG fart joke. A few of the 3D characters were well rendered, but many were mediocre. It's rated PG-13 because that's the only demographic this movie would appeal to, 13 year olds.
  21. AnotherGuy
    Dec 26, 2007
    Do yourselves a favor, and read the actual story... You'll have a much better time than watching this... Oh, and one more thing: This is far from the story of Beowulf than I've ever seen. DAMN HOLLYWOOD! COME UP WITH SOMETHING ORIGINAL FOR ONCE!!!
  22. MikaelN
    Jan 25, 2008
    Aside from the graphics there is absolutely nothing original about this movie. It's all been done before, over and over again... and so on. Stereotypical, unoriginal, cliché.
  23. BryceL.
    Feb 1, 2008
    Worst animated movie of all times!!!!!!
  24. MikeL.
    Feb 26, 2008
    In IMAX 3D, this movie gets a 10, I think almost any movie in that format would. However, in standard format, there is nothing to distinguish this version from the many others. Grendel is unimpressive and Angelina's scenes are nice to look at until you realize it is computer animation. The technology does have potential, but even the blockbuster cast can't save this one.
  25. FinnW.
    Feb 29, 2008
    At times, it almost looks cool, but never quite looks right. The story is a mess and Hollywood warps another classic tale by re-telling it the wrong way. A waste of time that will probably be loved by everyone who regularly watches the junk on Sci-Fi Network.
  26. Kitty
    Jul 6, 2008
    One of the worst movies of all time! I love the book and I was hoping that they would take more from it than just the character names, and lo and behold That's all they took from it! And plus there was a severe lack of clothing!
  27. GrantC.
    Sep 3, 2008
    Undoubtedly the worst book adaptation of all time, and one of the worst movies I've seen. What happened to the amazing story? All they had to do was use the book as a script, but noooooo, they had to screw it up. If they want to change the story so it surprises more people, it better be a good change, not something atrocious.

1. Director Robert Zemeckis not only deploys 21st century movie technology at its finest to turn the heroic poem into a vibrant, nerve-tingling piece of pop culture, but his film actually makes sense of Beowulf. In Zemeckis' hands, it's an intriguing look at a hero as a flawed human being.
  2. Reviewed by: Justin Chang
    For all its visual sweep and propulsively violent action, this bloodthirsty rendition of the Old English epic can't overcome the disadvantage of being enacted by digital waxworks rather than flesh-and-blood Danes and demons.
  3. Reviewed by: Tom Ambrose
    It’s not a reinvention of the wheel, but in 3D this is an astonishing experience that borders on ‘must-see’, and raises the bar for what James Cameron is planning with Avatar. And you’ll be glad to know that the creepy dead eyes thing has been fixed.