8.4

1. AlonsoC.
    Jul 11, 2009
    A You-Must-See Movie, one of my favorite movies of all time, it has a funny part and has it serious and lovely part, you always learn something about life in this movie. And as Sam F. Says, this is one of those movie where you can say that if don't liked it, it's because you didn't get it. One of the greatest movies of all time (in MY opinion).
  2. erixs
    May 31, 2009
    Very touching...!! My girlfriend cried after seeing this movie, TWICE !!!
  3. samf
    Apr 17, 2009
    This is one of those movies where I can say that if you don't like it, it's because you don't get it.
  4. Jul 16, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Big Fish is a peculiar movie, even for being a Tim Burton picture. It is about the life of a man whose father loves to tells stories from the time he was young, but the problem is that the anecdotes are hard to believe, because there are extremely rare and unlikely to happen; for example the story of the eye of a witch that can tell you when you are going to die, the one of a giant who is convinced to leave and stop terrifying a town, the circus that is managed by a werewolf or the scape from a war with two Siamese. All this produce constant fights between Edward and his son; and this is one of the topics that Tim Burton treats on his films. Although the other topics from this great director are less developed they are also noticeable: the gothic and expressionist characters (the witch, the giant and the circus manager) and environments (the forest and the witch house); and the contrast between two worlds represented graphically, the present in which Edward tells his stories (darker or opaque colors) and the past in which the stories take place (bright and attractive colors).
    The thing is that does not matter if the anecdotes were real or not, you decide what you want to believe, you can live a boring life and had nothing interesting to tell, no dreams, no hope, no goals; or you can live an amazing life, with endless stories to tell and enjoy being a Big Fish.
  5. Nov 2, 2010
    This was a fairly trite and predictable story in my view. A real dissapoint after watching Edward scissorhandy. You get the feeling that burton has sold out. These kind of mythic, sweeping movies have the same feel as forest gump. They are all too transparent with their message and leave nothing to the imagination. The characters are not believable and it feels an hour too long.
  6. Moose
    Jul 5, 2004
    This is not a magical movie. If anything, it's a terribly sad piece that sees a distant father/son relationship never rectified or fulfilled despite the son?s numerous attempts to find out who his ?real? father is. Instead the father fails to draw himself out of his make believe world in time to realise his son is crushed by his ?smoke and mirrors? routine. For me the sadness and This is not a magical movie. If anything, it's a terribly sad piece that sees a distant father/son relationship never rectified or fulfilled despite the son?s numerous attempts to find out who his ?real? father is. Instead the father fails to draw himself out of his make believe world in time to realise his son is crushed by his ?smoke and mirrors? routine. For me the sadness and frustration the son experiences is never offset by the ?magic? of his fathers? fables simply because the fables themselves were always unimaginative and boring (a giant, a circus and a town which no one ever wants to leave ? it?s all either ?been there, done that? or, quite simply, ?who cares??). I think Burton wanted the ?magic? to rise above everything else, but for me the emotions of the son were too strong and too real, and were certainly not made up for by the final ?death bed story?. Expand
  7. BrechtS.
    Jan 1, 2008
    Poor film - not a good story for a fim. Visually not captivating. No suspense. Mellow ending. No evolving characters (or characters with depth).
  8. MatthewT.
    Jan 11, 2004
    This movie is racist. A father knows all sorts of cool, weird, wonderful friends, but never brings them home to introduce them to his son. Why? Because the cool friends are of a different size/race/culture/species from his white, middle-class suburban family. This is the essence of American racism--you can have fun with people who are different from you--you can even father children with This movie is racist. A father knows all sorts of cool, weird, wonderful friends, but never brings them home to introduce them to his son. Why? Because the cool friends are of a different size/race/culture/species from his white, middle-class suburban family. This is the essence of American racism--you can have fun with people who are different from you--you can even father children with them, ala Strom Thurmond or Thomas Jefferson--but you can never, NEVER invite them into your home. Big Fish is not just a bad movie, but an evil movie for giving voice to that kind of sentiment in this year, in this century, in this millenium. Tim Burton should be ashamed of himself--if you heard his NPR interview with Elvis Mitchell, you know he already is. Expand
  9. Aug 27, 2011
    Big Fish is a sad film, but not in the way it wants to be. It is a film of such tremendous imagination and such poignancy in its moments of genuine emotion, that when it betrays itself for a shallow and unfair resolution, you're astonished at how everything about it has gone to waste. The audience feels betrayed that everything they've come to enjoy takes a turn for something they wouldBig Fish is a sad film, but not in the way it wants to be. It is a film of such tremendous imagination and such poignancy in its moments of genuine emotion, that when it betrays itself for a shallow and unfair resolution, you're astonished at how everything about it has gone to waste. The audience feels betrayed that everything they've come to enjoy takes a turn for something they would like to avoid, such as unresolved emotion disguised as closure, and selfish actions being accepted. Expand
  10. JonA.
    Jan 13, 2004
    First of all, this was a wonderful movie. In a world of the fantastical revolving around violence and crude humor, this film brings back the wonder to real, natural life in a beautiful way. As for the racist comments by our first commentator; I sympathize with your frustration, but quiet frankly, if you attack this movie for being racist, etc. you have not seen a lot of other movies in First of all, this was a wonderful movie. In a world of the fantastical revolving around violence and crude humor, this film brings back the wonder to real, natural life in a beautiful way. As for the racist comments by our first commentator; I sympathize with your frustration, but quiet frankly, if you attack this movie for being racist, etc. you have not seen a lot of other movies in this day in age. The father separates his "cool friends" from his family because he leaves it ambiguous to whether they actually existed or not. People, pick up a book once in a while~ have we lost contact with our own imagination? Whew... Expand
  11. JohnY.
    Jan 6, 2004
    Burton used to be one of my favorite directors, but film by film, he's letting me down. Watching "Big Fish" is like not being let in on the joke; there are scenes here that I think we are suppose to find amusing or clever, but they aren't really memorable. The narrative clunks along, and I could care less about these one-dimensional characters. Yes, there are glimses of classic Burton used to be one of my favorite directors, but film by film, he's letting me down. Watching "Big Fish" is like not being let in on the joke; there are scenes here that I think we are suppose to find amusing or clever, but they aren't really memorable. The narrative clunks along, and I could care less about these one-dimensional characters. Yes, there are glimses of classic Burton here and there, and the film is visually splendid, but I'd be lying if I didn't say I was often bored. Where's the director I once loved? Expand
  12. MandellS.
    Jan 1, 2004
    A lyrical gem of a movie. It affirms both the power of art and the power of love. Big Fish presents a series of tall tales that evoke Twain's Gothic images of the American South as well as Homer's Oddesy. You have to have a heart of stone not be moved by this movie.
  13. DanI.
    Jan 10, 2004
    I just got back from watching this film, and I have to say I was not disappointed. Reading recent reviews about the Big Fish I was afraid that it wasn't going to be as good as the original reviews made it out to be. Fortunatly, it was everything and more. It was a feel good movie that was sappy, but not so sappy that you are ashamed to be at the movie with your friends. In fact I got I just got back from watching this film, and I have to say I was not disappointed. Reading recent reviews about the Big Fish I was afraid that it wasn't going to be as good as the original reviews made it out to be. Fortunatly, it was everything and more. It was a feel good movie that was sappy, but not so sappy that you are ashamed to be at the movie with your friends. In fact I got lost in the movie itself and was feeling almost like I was a child again listening to tall tales. The acting was great, and the direction was all that you would expect from Tim Burton. From top to bottom this was the feel good film that I would suggest to anybody that is at all intrested in seeing this. Expand
  14. MovieguyCinema
    Jan 20, 2004
    A nauseating and ridiculous lousy david lynch imitation, utterly meaningless pretentious garbage that is both boring and sickening a the same time.
  15. CameronS.
    Jan 9, 2004
    What the heck are you people talking about? This is one Great movie. It is definately one of Burton's best movies. The acting is superb, music is wonderful, the cinematography and costuming are extremely good. The story is magical and enchanting. GO SEE THIS MOVIE!!!!!
  16. BlytheM.
    Feb 13, 2004
    Boring from the moment it came on the screen. I left after 20 minutes. Didn't care about anyone, wasn't drawn in by the story about stories.
  17. SidneyF.
    Feb 3, 2004
    A masterpiece of life.
  18. MitchO.
    Mar 8, 2004
    This movie rocks!!
  19. GinoE.
    Jun 9, 2004
    Big Fish is a magical story like you've never seen before... The stories are so amaginful and diffrent and always tell what you would never expect. Some happy, some sad and all beautiful.The sets and cinematography are just great! Same goes for Ewan's performance. The only thing I felt that was wrong is showing too much of the dramatic life that Edward has now. Cause the stories Big Fish is a magical story like you've never seen before... The stories are so amaginful and diffrent and always tell what you would never expect. Some happy, some sad and all beautiful.The sets and cinematography are just great! Same goes for Ewan's performance. The only thing I felt that was wrong is showing too much of the dramatic life that Edward has now. Cause the stories are wat more fun to wacht. If you liked Forrest Gump, You'll love this one! Expand
  20. MikeW.
    Oct 13, 2007
    Tim Burton's masterpiece. A brilliant work of art that can greatly be felt as you lose yourself in this delightful fantasy. Great performances all around as well, especially Albert Finney.
  21. ScottD
    Sep 3, 2008
    There are few movies I would give a shameless perfect score, and this is one of them. Big Fish has been my number-one favorite movie ever since I saw it a few years ago. I have since watched it at least 15 more times, and every time I watch it, I never fail to be amazed, touched, and interested. There are so many things to think about in this movie, and literally every time I watch it There are few movies I would give a shameless perfect score, and this is one of them. Big Fish has been my number-one favorite movie ever since I saw it a few years ago. I have since watched it at least 15 more times, and every time I watch it, I never fail to be amazed, touched, and interested. There are so many things to think about in this movie, and literally every time I watch it some new metaphor or parallel occurs to me. Do not listen to the critics, because obviously they are too heartless to understand how truly awe-inspiring and amazing this film is. Expand
  22. JoeyM.
    Dec 17, 2003
    All right, I admit, I'm a sucker for father/son reconciliation films. This one is a beauty - arguably the best screenplay Burton has worked with. (as much as I love, say, "Nightmare Before Christmas," some of the writing is, well, lame) I especially loved identifying all of the little images from his other films. The movie is about the power of storytelling and, as such, invites us All right, I admit, I'm a sucker for father/son reconciliation films. This one is a beauty - arguably the best screenplay Burton has worked with. (as much as I love, say, "Nightmare Before Christmas," some of the writing is, well, lame) I especially loved identifying all of the little images from his other films. The movie is about the power of storytelling and, as such, invites us to decide whether a good story is better than a true story - or if the truth of a story is entirely in the ears of the hearer. A terrific cast (McGregor and Devito especially made me smile) and a (yes, I'll sa it) heartwarming story make this a pleasant night at the movies. Not for all tastes, but definitely worth seeing. Expand
  23. BlancoA.
    Dec 3, 2003
    This is definitely a Tim Burton film. Extremely original, but that goes without saying. Jessica Lange delivers a nuanced performance, and the GIANT is amazing! I don't know if it's a must-see, but certainly a should-see. Also, we need to see Billy Crudup in more movies.
  24. HoldenCaulfield
    Jan 10, 2004
    Absolutely brilliant! Burton takes us into a completely different world of the likes that will never be seen again untill Burton gets his hands another script.
  25. BillS.
    Jan 13, 2004
    A beautifully whimsical tale woven together by Burton who shows remarkable depth of spirit and heart without any reliance on special effects or artificial fantasy characters. There was no 'racism' here - what a ludicrous thing to claim. Instead, you will find much soul and a deeper message about who we are and how we view our lives than you'll find in any other movie out A beautifully whimsical tale woven together by Burton who shows remarkable depth of spirit and heart without any reliance on special effects or artificial fantasy characters. There was no 'racism' here - what a ludicrous thing to claim. Instead, you will find much soul and a deeper message about who we are and how we view our lives than you'll find in any other movie out right now. A delicately told yet quasi-imaginary sniffle-inspiring work, certainly worthy of more than the action-figure generation critics seem to be willing to give. Impatience, rather than any lack of moral or visual merit, is the source of most negative commets. Hint: Don't walk out of RETURN OF THE KING and expect to be equally deafened by BIG FISH. Leave the less-sensitive friends and family at home for this one. Expand
  26. CalebC.
    Jan 13, 2004
    I loved it! special connection to this movie helped me give it a 10. i thought it was like reading a book. i love this one.
  27. FuzzyDice
    Jan 15, 2004
    Warmth, nuance and childhood (as well as adult!) fantasy abound in Burton's best film since PeeWee's Big Adventure!
  28. JannaA.
    Jan 20, 2004
    Liked it!
  29. SusanM.
    Dec 8, 2004
    This is my all-time favourite movie, I love the story, the characters and the message. It is all about the power of imagination, and it is a perfect movie. I have seen it multiple times and I could watch it daily and never get sick of it!
  30. KennyH.
    Jan 4, 2004
    I thought this was an excellent movie. The story was great. I was smiling the entire movie. Really Good.
  31. Jamal
    Feb 16, 2004
    Jamal liked it a lot.
  32. JakeS.
    Feb 7, 2004
    How can you like a movie when you hate the main character?! Burton, through the character of Edward Bloom (played by Finney and McGregor), takes the "father know's best" adage a step to far, and instead we have a movie which is condescending and irritating. I felt bad for the son, and not the lying father. The visuals are nice though, hence the 1.
  33. Jessicsa
    May 2, 2004
    One of the best movies of the year.
  34. LabinotK.
    May 24, 2004
    It's different from the other movies, it's nice story. I enjoyed watching it.
  35. Rico
    May 5, 2004
    This movie tries too hard to be magical and ends up falling flat. The charm seems forced through no fault of the excellent cast. Tim Burton has been making some stinkers lately.
  36. LeroyL.
    May 7, 2004
    The only thing that prevents me from giving this delightful flick a 10 is one tiny, insulting flashback when Will Bloom (Crudup) meets Jenny (Bonham Carter). C'mon, unless you'd been snoozing through the film it was plainly obvious. Probably a producer's insistence.
  37. ben
    Jan 9, 2005
    I can't believe the mixed reviews this film got, and i'm simply in disbelief that it didn't win best picture. it was funny and absolutely heartbreaking, honestly one of the best films i've seen. it's near the top of the list.
  38. Nettala
    Apr 21, 2005
    I dont know why people say this film is rasist, im doing cousework on tim burton, and if you really read into the film you'll actually find that tim burton is the one speaking out, he is showing how society treats different people as outcasts. I think this film is highly emotion with a fantastic cast.! the visuals are amazing and typicall burtonesgue i love its simplicity and I dont know why people say this film is rasist, im doing cousework on tim burton, and if you really read into the film you'll actually find that tim burton is the one speaking out, he is showing how society treats different people as outcasts. I think this film is highly emotion with a fantastic cast.! the visuals are amazing and typicall burtonesgue i love its simplicity and eccentricity!! but i'll give it 8 because i dont think its burtons best. Expand
  39. John
    Jul 27, 2005
    A wonderful story that incorporates superb characters and acting with splendid visuals to create a very moving film.
  40. JorisV.
    Aug 7, 2006
    People who give this movie less then 6 doesn't understand it, and probably can't see past the archetypal clichés... This is one of my all-time favourite movies, visually magnificent and one of the best, moving and greatest stories ever... This story is indeed "bigger than Life itself... Definitely Burton's best, his magnum opus!
  41. JackL.
    Mar 25, 2007
    It is a wonderful, heartfelt, lyrical story!!!! Just see it with a open mind.
  42. AnL.
    Mar 25, 2007
    The movie is a delightful story to be seen and felt. It challenges our cynicism of adulthood and brings us back to where our imagination begins, where everything is possible, where the world full of magics and dreams. The movie is a touching reminder to us: let imagination saturate our pragmatic, "scientific", factual lives.
  43. M.Bluth
    Dec 10, 2003
    Don't read this, just GO. This is one really beautiful movie.
  44. SuzanneD.
    Dec 13, 2003
    What a letdown....I went in expecting to love this film and I was really disappointed. It is very dull thruout and not at all up to Burtons capabilities.
  45. MaxwellS.
    Dec 30, 2003
    Because I'm so tired, I'll keep this short. The film is flawlessly incredible. Burton delivers once again with probably his best film thus far.
  46. Gregg
    Dec 8, 2003
    Fantastic cast. Beautifully designed and shot, though not as much the outre Burton as I might have liked, but just enough that I will want to watch this again with my parents over Christmas so I can cry some more. Billy Crudup's OK, but more Jessica Lange in movies please. Her acting fills in the blanks that weren't written for her character. And more Ewan in general Fantastic cast. Beautifully designed and shot, though not as much the outre Burton as I might have liked, but just enough that I will want to watch this again with my parents over Christmas so I can cry some more. Billy Crudup's OK, but more Jessica Lange in movies please. Her acting fills in the blanks that weren't written for her character. And more Ewan in general wouldn't hurt either. Expand
  47. AndrewC.
    Dec 9, 2003
    The most beautiful and moving film I have seen this year.
  48. JaredSS
    Jan 10, 2004
    What a splendid film! Easily one of the 5 best of the year, possibly top 3, as well as one of the 5 best films that Tim Burton's ever made (that's saying a lot coming from a Burton-aholic like myself). I think people that aren't enjoying this film need their heads examined, and I think the Academy are going to need their heads examined when they don't even give Burton What a splendid film! Easily one of the 5 best of the year, possibly top 3, as well as one of the 5 best films that Tim Burton's ever made (that's saying a lot coming from a Burton-aholic like myself). I think people that aren't enjoying this film need their heads examined, and I think the Academy are going to need their heads examined when they don't even give Burton a nomination for Best Director. I know they won't, purely because he's Tim Burton, nobody takes him seriously enough. WHEN ARE PEOPLE GOING TO REALIZE THAT TIM BURTON IS AN ARTIST!!! Collapse
  49. AdamM.
    Jan 11, 2004
    I was shocked to see a score of 56 on MetaCritic. I was expecting to see something in the 90s. This was the best movie for 2003 that I saw. A lot of my friends have already seen this and not one has had anything bad to say about it.
  50. MattA
    Nov 2, 2004
    Great movie. It was fun entertainment with good laughs, some good morals, and some heart warming moments. All together, Big fish is a great movie to watch.
  51. KippaBoy
    Nov 28, 2004
    From reading everyone elses comments, it seems that everyone has mixed feelings about this movie. I never thought that such a film that i had not heard of would be and could be so inspiring and entertaining, i am a 21 year old engineer who enjoys rugby and all other sports, i see myself as a hard man, this fil made me cry like a baby, never before have i been so involved and gripped. It From reading everyone elses comments, it seems that everyone has mixed feelings about this movie. I never thought that such a film that i had not heard of would be and could be so inspiring and entertaining, i am a 21 year old engineer who enjoys rugby and all other sports, i see myself as a hard man, this fil made me cry like a baby, never before have i been so involved and gripped. It has even made me want to turn on the computer and write this, something i thought that only sad people who had too much time on their hands did! Inspiring, awesome, incredible. who cares what everyone else thinks this film is myb absolute all time favourite!!!!! Expand
  52. GuyI.
    Jan 12, 2004
    Matthew T. Dude, you have problems. LOL. This is a great film for people of all races and cultures to enjoy. Saw an early preview a while back and it reddemed my faith in Hollywood amid all the crap it has been spewing out lately.
  53. WAKOJAKO
    Jan 14, 2004
    As well as I like Tim Burton's previous work, I really didn't feel drawn into Big Fish. The film starts well enough, and the present day scenes with Albert Finney et al work really well (thus the 5 points). But the tall tales parts felt way too...pedantic--not at all like Burton. Most of those characters didn't just feel fake, but didn't feel like characters at all. As well as I like Tim Burton's previous work, I really didn't feel drawn into Big Fish. The film starts well enough, and the present day scenes with Albert Finney et al work really well (thus the 5 points). But the tall tales parts felt way too...pedantic--not at all like Burton. Most of those characters didn't just feel fake, but didn't feel like characters at all. Despite the obvious possibilities, the whole thing lacked imagination. Expand
  54. KristinD.
    Jan 17, 2004
    What the heck is the problem with all of these critics? Can't they tell one good movie from another? The reviews are nothing but a whangdoodle(except for the good ones). Big Fish is one of the best pictures created that touches the heart. It is one of the best movies I've ever seen about family, love, and friendship.
  55. R.Diddy
    Jan 19, 2004
    This is the best movie i've seen in a long time. i had no idea what its about when i went to see it and i was pleasantly suprised, that its about the beauty of the moment.. a beautiful story that may or may not lead somewhere.. it is refreshingly different from the usual hollywood garbage. i cant believe papers like washington post gave it a bad rating. from what they said it wasThis is the best movie i've seen in a long time. i had no idea what its about when i went to see it and i was pleasantly suprised, that its about the beauty of the moment.. a beautiful story that may or may not lead somewhere.. it is refreshingly different from the usual hollywood garbage. i cant believe papers like washington post gave it a bad rating. from what they said it was missing exactly what pathetic hollywood movies attempt to deliver. recipe for maximum audience. !@#$ washington post & @#$ movie critics. Expand
  56. Fantasy
    Jan 21, 2004
    Liked it a lot. It's a story about life in how we are remembered. The cast was outstanding. The facts don't really matter only the legend.
  57. MattM.
    Jan 23, 2004
    "Big Fish", the latest from director Tim Burton, is a whimsical fantasy featuring superb performances from Ewan McGregory, Albert Finney, Billy Crudup, and Jessica Lange. Though it is never quite as magical as it aspires so hard to be, the film does have some touching moments, not to mention a thing or two to say about life and death. A good film, but certainly not the masterpiece that "Big Fish", the latest from director Tim Burton, is a whimsical fantasy featuring superb performances from Ewan McGregory, Albert Finney, Billy Crudup, and Jessica Lange. Though it is never quite as magical as it aspires so hard to be, the film does have some touching moments, not to mention a thing or two to say about life and death. A good film, but certainly not the masterpiece that some would make it out to be. Expand
  58. AshleyG.
    Jan 23, 2004
    I genuinely loved this movie...it was hilarious and very moving. It did lag a tad bit at a few points though, that's why it's not a perfect 10. VERY much worth the money to see it though.
  59. JoshW.
    Jan 29, 2004
    This was a very fine film with some real heart to it. Its also nice to see a director like Burton expand his language as a film maker.
  60. MichaelD.
    Jan 31, 2004
    This is just a really fun and facinating story that develops around a much darker, sadder reality. The conrast is exquisit and warm.
  61. CarolAnnC.
    Jan 30, 2004
    I adored this film. It was just a celebration of life even if most of it was a figment of imagination.
  62. HughM.
    Jan 9, 2004
    Big disappointment! I kept waiting for something interesting to happen, but it never did. Good actors wasted...did Jessica Lange speak, I don't recall.
  63. DavidR.
    Feb 6, 2004
    Ignore the critics on this one. Big Fish is one of the best movies of any year. So what if Ed's stories aren't 100% factual. This movie knows that life is more than just marking off days on the calendar. Enjoy the movie as a celebration of a life worth living.
  64. StevenK.
    Feb 8, 2004
    I really wasn't sure what to expect out of this movie, but must say I was pleasantly surprised...It tempts us to have an open mind and explore a sense of adventure and freedom through imagination, in the face of a comparitively dull and boring reality. Though this is it's main focus, it also challenges us, in a broader sense, on father/son relationships, as well as life and I really wasn't sure what to expect out of this movie, but must say I was pleasantly surprised...It tempts us to have an open mind and explore a sense of adventure and freedom through imagination, in the face of a comparitively dull and boring reality. Though this is it's main focus, it also challenges us, in a broader sense, on father/son relationships, as well as life and death. The story seemed awkward at times, but was still easy to get lost in and managed to be touching and inspirational. Expand
  65. MikeS.
    Mar 7, 2004
    Creative storytelling, ingenious cinematography and a wholesome atmosphere make this a memorable fantasy. I left the theatre feeling as if I had seen a real movie for a change.
  66. BenA.
    Jun 10, 2004
    WHAT! How did this movie get such luke warm reviews? 56? This was one of the best movies of 03. This was just a beautiful movie. I don't have much more to say.
  67. Kajman
    Aug 13, 2004
    Fabulous!
  68. Paolo
    Nov 14, 2005
    This film is a test for your heart. Depending on your vote you can know if your heart is made of stone or not. If you are able to "understand" and "feel" what this film is trying to say then you can not give it less than 8. I'm glad to see the vast majority of people does indeed have a heart :-)
  69. RohanW.
    Jan 21, 2005
    The number of critics prepared to influence the public not to see this film is appalling. I'm infinitely saddened that a film with this much charm and heart is "outshined" by generic trash fueled by guns and blades and sex - and I'm a 22 year old guy. See this film as soon as possible and make up your own mind.
    Mar 5, 2005
    Different, interesting.
  71. SiobhanT.
    Jun 27, 2005
    FANTASTIC film but be prepared for a good cry. Lovely story and ending but I had to phone my Dad after I watched it! Hope everyone else enjoys it as much as I did!
  72. matta.
    Jul 15, 2005
    Honestly, the crtiics blew it on this one. Beautiful fantasy film with exceptional performances from the two leads, McGregor and Finney.
  73. ChuckM.
    Jul 28, 2005
    Good movie - fine acting, although Ewan's combination British / southern accent was a little jarring at times. This is a fine fairy tale, one that I am glad that I saw - I wanted to see it in the theaters but never quite got around to it.
  74. AngelaH
    Oct 9, 2006
    This movie is a great tall tale. Tim Burton really catches the attention of audiences with his work of art in this film. It must have taken lots of planning to make this wondrous film. No one film will be as amazing as this one.
  75. Riren
    Mar 3, 2007
    An uncompromising compromise between morose reality and cartoonish fantasy. It reconciles the fairy tales of American youth, all the sweet things we enjoyed as children, with the cynicism and coldness with build up during maturity. In many senses, Big Fish is about the different kinds of love, and so many of the reasons we fall into them. Littered with over the top moments and brilliant An uncompromising compromise between morose reality and cartoonish fantasy. It reconciles the fairy tales of American youth, all the sweet things we enjoyed as children, with the cynicism and coldness with build up during maturity. In many senses, Big Fish is about the different kinds of love, and so many of the reasons we fall into them. Littered with over the top moments and brilliant visual art, it is probably Burton's best film. Expand
  76. Jordan
    Jun 19, 2008
    I absolutely adore this movie. Charming, beautiful, moving. A wonderful American fantasy.
  77. ColinD.
    Sep 11, 2008
    Big Fish, though a bit wordy at the start, pulls together and will mesmerize any viewer that can recognize the contrasts between a creatively imaginative child and an adult that utilizes a standard, and sometimes dull worldview. I'm starting to believe the critics aren't worthy of their role.
  78. Shaun
    Mar 28, 2009
    I am not easily moved by movies, mostly because most of them don't attempt to reach an emotional nerve without throwing on the cheese. This movie does it perfectly - a beautiful and moving story, well told.
  79. BradleyW.
    Dec 11, 2003
    Sorry folks, this film is a clunker. long and terribly boring...just couldnt keep me interested in the few imaginative parts.
  80. MattS.
    Dec 16, 2003
    I was in New York last weekend and bought a bootlegged dvd of this, [Ed: Bad form!] the picture and audio wasn't perfect, but you got to expect some faults for $5. This movie is a very delightful surprise. It is told as a fable or fairytale. It has a very good cast and the story is very touching. It is a father/son story and is a good holiday movie, it runs sorta as two tales, I was in New York last weekend and bought a bootlegged dvd of this, [Ed: Bad form!] the picture and audio wasn't perfect, but you got to expect some faults for $5. This movie is a very delightful surprise. It is told as a fable or fairytale. It has a very good cast and the story is very touching. It is a father/son story and is a good holiday movie, it runs sorta as two tales, reality and fantasy, I find that the fantasy scenes with Mcgregor are great while the reality scenes get a bit dry. I hope it comes to theaters everywhere, the only bad part is seeing Danny Devito's Buttocks. Expand
  81. BuniT.
    Dec 18, 2003
    Big Fish is a fantastic journey, convincing us that every life (even the most boring) can be an adventure if we are willing to open our minds. McGregor makes us want to believe that the stories he tells are true, no matter how incredible. This movies makes the innerchild, who is willing to believe anything, resurface and smile. TWO THUMBS UP.
  82. Phil
    Dec 9, 2003
    It's magical! It's a living fairy tail! It's brilliant!
  83. Elliott
    Jan 11, 2004
    Did Jessica Lange speak?!? She ONLY delivered the most potent, heartfelt, and unforgettable line of dialogue of the past several years: "I don't think I'll ever dry out......." Big Fish is an altogether incredible film. I honestly do not understand the negative reviews. It's a perfect film.
  84. Andrew
    Jan 14, 2004
    As for the racism- I think that's a hasty conclusion to make- many of the people whom he "excludes" from his home life are white are people of his class and color: the poet arthur winslow and his mistress jenny. Likewise his "real life" is populated by a french woman and a black doctor. I think the lines you are seeing drawn are imaginary, or exist only for you- they certainly As for the racism- I think that's a hasty conclusion to make- many of the people whom he "excludes" from his home life are white are people of his class and color: the poet arthur winslow and his mistress jenny. Likewise his "real life" is populated by a french woman and a black doctor. I think the lines you are seeing drawn are imaginary, or exist only for you- they certainly aren't in the film. As for the movie itself, I don't understand the glut of bad reviews. The movie had some pacing problems, and the direction was a bit scattered- Billy Crudup's performance, though skillful, seemed out of place with the rest of the characters, for instance. But the film has such imaginative storytelling and a large heart that it wound up being powerful. Most interestingly, those two elements were inextricably related- without the heart the stories would seem empty, and without the stories the film would not have been moving at all. I have not seen Burton's earlier films (except for "The Nightmare Before Christmas" when I was very young) and I think I am better for it by not having the expectations that I think influenced many of the negative reviews logged here. Instead, I saw the film itself, ignorant and absent of the director's usual habits and eccentricities. Those things shouldn't matter anyway: when it comes down to it you have only the 110 minutes of film to judge. The history of its actors and director should not significatnly bear on your criticism. Expand
  85. KenG.
    Jan 17, 2004
    Tim Burton pulls out all the stops (but forgets some heart) in this whimsical, enchanting tale of tall tales versus reality. Although the focus (father and son) plays second fiddle to the time-tripping adventures, there's never a dull moment.
  86. DamienP.
    Jan 19, 2004
    I found this movie to be vastly entertaining while also delivering a great message. There was only a few moments of misguided direction, otherwise I think it was flawless for what it was trying to accomplish. When a movie can relate to possible relationships the viewer can relate to, it connects that much closer. All in all a good family movie.
  87. Henry
    Dec 17, 2004
    Simply remarkable, my all-time favourite.
  88. MacM.
    Jan 29, 2004
    A fine tale and visual delight. This is pure cinema.
  89. DJBozo
    Feb 11, 2004
    The Art of Storytelling!
  90. PasserBy
    Feb 29, 2004
    A film that is close to a 10... The general feel of this film begins with something that you don't know what to believe... As it progresses on, you start to piece together each bit of Ed's life... And little by little, it touches you heart with the warmth of it all... The love and bond between father and son shines throughout. Definitely not one to miss!
  91. PatrickH.
    Apr 15, 2004
    A little confusing at parts, but otherwise, well made, acted, funny, and touching at the same time!
  92. MontyS.
    Apr 26, 2004
    Fabulous movie. Moving. I found it very interesting.
  93. CraKa
    May 24, 2004
    Perfect film. Not being a small statement since my world consists of flicks, movies and films. This was budda. Too bad most people want their entertainment spoon-fed. I do feel sorrow for those who struggled with this film or left before it was finished. I guess there isn't enough Fast-n-Friveless or Die Hard 82's out to get this one past the general public. Too much advertising Perfect film. Not being a small statement since my world consists of flicks, movies and films. This was budda. Too bad most people want their entertainment spoon-fed. I do feel sorrow for those who struggled with this film or left before it was finished. I guess there isn't enough Fast-n-Friveless or Die Hard 82's out to get this one past the general public. Too much advertising is this ones only falut. Expand
  94. JasonT.
    May 31, 2004
    A very touching film, that thanks to Burton's steady hand is able to be emotional without being corny.
  95. ArmandoA.
    Feb 19, 2006
    Along with "Edward Scissorhands", this movie is just one of the best love stories ever told. Very original, very touching.
  96. JulienkaB.
    Feb 24, 2006
    big fish is a beautiful movie, very sensitive, great characters, a diferent burton's movie, his best movie
  97. DrewG.
    Aug 14, 2006
    incredible, burton is a genius, his dramas r the best,big fish is epic,one of the best movies i've seen ever.
  98. CK
    Aug 15, 2006
    This is honeslty one of my favorite movies. I do not understand why it got mixed reviews. It is right up there with Lord of the Rings as the best movie of '03.
  99. DevonS
    Apr 27, 2008
    While to me it resembles no Burton qualities, Tim is the perfect storyteller to tell a story about the perfect storyteller.
  100. DevonP.
    Dec 12, 2003
    Yawn. What a turkey. I am a huge fan of Tim Burton and all of the actors, but it was like going to the dentist, except when I left I didn't have a good taste in my mouth. Half the audience walked out. People on airplanes are gonna walk out, rent Edward Scissorhands, instead.

1. The movie is a gently overstuffed cinematic piñata, crammed with tall tales -- with giants and circuses and fairy-tale woods, plus a huge squirmy catfish, all served up with a literal matter-of-fact fancy that is very pleasing.
  2. Reviewed by: Clint Morris
    A tale that's so enriching, so heartwarming, so funny, so touching and so breathtaking, you'll wonder why the king of wackiness didn't branch out sooner.
  3. A misfire. The film that wants to be lighter than air instead crashes to earth with the swiftness of a concrete parachute.