Magnet Releasing | Release Date: March 11, 2011
6.8
Generally favorable reviews based on 52 Ratings
WATCH NOW
JamesIrish68Aug 10, 2014
I'm giving Black Death a 10 because 6.3 doesn't do it justice...and might discourage some from watching it, which would be a pity..Its dripping with atmosphere..A grim 14th century atomosphere of dreariness, damp and disease. Not an out andI'm giving Black Death a 10 because 6.3 doesn't do it justice...and might discourage some from watching it, which would be a pity..Its dripping with atmosphere..A grim 14th century atomosphere of dreariness, damp and disease. Not an out and out horror but enough here to make a few feel uncomfortable and give everyone a sense of foreboding..Every actor delivers..Not one weak performance which is high praise I think. If you enjoy the game of thrones..then you'll get a lot out of this. Sean Bean is excellent as usual. I'm an unabashed Sean Bean fan. Will watch anything with him in it..and Redmayne who I haven't seen before is one I will look out for in the future.. Expand
FDT44Mar 17, 2011
A dark, cabalistic medieval-pic that spews the spread of carrion and pandemic pestilence, "The Black Death" is gripping; growing on you like a leprotic sore. As the film advances, the grave urgency to escape a diminishing land of languishA dark, cabalistic medieval-pic that spews the spread of carrion and pandemic pestilence, "The Black Death" is gripping; growing on you like a leprotic sore. As the film advances, the grave urgency to escape a diminishing land of languish intensifies, and the fight for survival begins. The horrifying sights of death and decay are blended cohesively with the times, where the forces of religion and honor are emphasized with rightful adulation. This delineation of the period, and the film's name, however, is stalled once the strong-willed barbarics arrive at their "escape." Here, we see the film take a slant that strays from the times, and becomes lost amidst a mystically situated paragon of life. Following the abrupt, yet laconic change of course, the film is redeemed, where the strong sense of unity, religious piety, integrity, and pride are relinquished towards the picture's close. "The Black Death" is a potently felt exploration into the infestation, desolation, and despair of the Black Ages that doesn't hold back, and delivers, where the forces of human nature emanates. Expand
Weyland-YutaniMar 18, 2014
Excellent movie. Absolutely loved it. Sean Bean is a master of the craft. Story kept me guessing. I highly recommend this one. Not sure how it got a 6.2, but thats an atrocity. Script is magic. Unfortunately, because of simpletons that scoreExcellent movie. Absolutely loved it. Sean Bean is a master of the craft. Story kept me guessing. I highly recommend this one. Not sure how it got a 6.2, but thats an atrocity. Script is magic. Unfortunately, because of simpletons that score this movie low, the likelihood of another thinking man's/women's movie getting made becomes more slim by the day. Make room for Transformer 18. Expand
PaperThingMay 30, 2012
Put simply; this movie is surprisingly good. It's analogous to "Conan The Barbarian" (1982) by John Milius. Pros: 1 - Acting (especially Eddie Redmayne and Sean Bean);
2 - Writing;
3 - Intensity and Gore; Cons: 1 - Nonstop shaky cam; 2 -
2 - Writing;
3 - Intensity and Gore;

Cons: 1 - Nonstop shaky cam;
2 - Sporadic pacing;

Overall: Hardly the best Horror film of 2011, but still very good to Rent.
pulkmeesJun 26, 2011
So what can I say about this movie in general - it has gore, faith, death, love.In that order.
I wouldn't say it's a horror movie, it takes more from movies like The Wickerman rather than typical horror flicks, though the amount of gore it has makes me think it was also influenced by The Saw movies. The Good - plot was.....fun to watch unravel, it's thrilling, I wouldn't say the ending was predictable(coming from a guy, who likes movies with a twist), it was however logical.That much death, violence and deceit can seriously damage a human's mental state.The characters were believable, non-stereotypical(imo). The Bad - maybe too much gore, though it was important to show the violence.After all the medieval times weren't a picnic, but more like a gritty day-to-day fight for survival.
ThumbThunderMar 16, 2011
This is a good old fashioned thinking manâ
TheQuietGamerOct 28, 2014
Not your traditional horror movie. There aren't any monsters or ghosts, and nothing is jumping out at you. Instead the horror is derived from the cruelty of people. It's dark, cruel, and encourages standing strong in one's faith.

Fantastic

Fantastic performances all around. Don't ask me what it is, but whenever you give Sean Bean a sword and some armor you're in for a treat. The plot may seem slow-paced to some, but I found it to move excellently. The characters are all well written and have believable dialog.

"Black Death" uses the bubonic-plague era to form a compelling tale. One that shows just how dangerous people can be when they're scared of death. Mixing it in with aspects of religion may drive some away, but I think the movie uses those aspects to good effect. It shows what dark places people can go to for their faith. OVerall I find it to be an excellent movie. One that does something different for the horror genre. My total score for it is a 9.7/10.
AwesomeThrillerJan 7, 2013
Black Death is a fine piece of film making and what I really loved about it is the fact that it has some well-put twists and surprises that you simply won't see coming. It's not a typical movie that portrays the eternal conflict between goodBlack Death is a fine piece of film making and what I really loved about it is the fact that it has some well-put twists and surprises that you simply won't see coming. It's not a typical movie that portrays the eternal conflict between good & evil, the church & the blasphemous ... No! it's more of a philosophical journey inside the psyche of a human being, an analysis of how grief and guilt seeds can grow and influence the path of those who see them selves as righteous.

Let's not ruin your fun with philosophy... Anyway!!! The fighting scenes are beyond awesome, the script is simple for a Gothic Thriller yet very impactful and throughout the movie's running time you feel that the characters' words, intentions and thoughts are really heavy and have the most influence on the way that the story heads. Christopher Smith made the best use of the historical context of the story in order to make us relate to the characters by creating a sort of bond that links us to this band of mercenaries despite their cruelty and ignorance, and no matter how extremely orthodox we think their ideas are.

This thriller features some award deserving performances from all the main actors especially Sean Bean and Eddie Redmayne, they plunged into their characters and delivered one of the most believable piece of acting I've ever seen! So, if you want a thought-provoking movie that you'd want to debate with your friends afterwards then Black Death is a really good choice!
choomtabi31May 18, 2016
A good medieval thriller with interesting characters. It shows how humans can be evil and cruel no matter what they believe in, or not.

Watch it online for free: https://www.primewire.ag/watch-2733190-Black-Death