8.0

1. Aug 25, 2014
    The intensity of this film elevates the artistic portrayal of Swan Lake far beyond what you may expect. Aronofsky enthralls the audience with this mesmerizing piece of art, coupled with Natalie Portman's phenomenal portrait as a troubled young dancer.
  2. Aug 15, 2014
    A dark psychological thriller that orchestrates a unique plot and theme, a great cast from Natalie Portman and a great execution from Darren Aronofsky, for this chilling nightmare.
  3. Jul 29, 2014
    I found "Black Swan" to be very intriguing as an allegory of human nature. While also exposing the dark side of a career in ballet, it makes some specific points on human violence, desire to succeed even by harming others, and struggle for finding someone's way in life. Nina is, perhaps, an (anti-)hero of our times, trying to balance her inner strengths and weaknesses against outer difficulties and superior forces. Portman's terrific performance (even if it is not hard to do otherwise) and Aronofsky's distinctive direction make this picture a must-see.
    Mansell's adaptation of Tchaikovsky's "Swan Lake" is exceptionally good and successful in expressing aspects of Nina's insanity. The result is a satisfying psychological thriller, that deserves praise for its originality.
  4. Jul 25, 2014
    Dark, frivolous, psychotic, schizophrenic, ironic, surreal, astonishing. A great allegory. A complete success regarding filming, scenes, scenarios, performances, plot and twists. A crazy precious pearl. A slap in the face and mind.
  5. chw
    Jul 18, 2014
    Black Swan was a pretty good movie, very well acted, but it was so disturbing at times that made me have to take a breather because it was THAT disturbing.
  6. Jun 21, 2014
    Not a type of movie that I would typically enjoy but I did enjoy this one. It was really dark and played with your mind a lot which I though was really well done. Good acting by all makes this an enjoyable watch.
  7. Jun 18, 2014
    Darren Aronofsky is quickly becoming one of my favorite directors and Black Swan is a shining example of why that is happening. Here, he crafts a film that perfectly fits the bill of "psychological thriller" as this one is absolutely terrifying at times, but always leaves you searching for answers as you are never quite certain what exactly happened. Throughout, we follow the clearly disturbed Nina, played by Natalie Portman, who absolutely kills it here. Her descent into madness is beautifully constructed and portrayed by Aronofsky as it almost makes us feel as though we are going insane right along with her. Mila Kunis and Vincent Cassel also have good supporting roles here. The only thing against this one was that it was a little slow going in the beginning, however, once it really kicks in high gear, it is completely engrossing as you follow every twist and turn and try to wrap your head around what you just watched. This film is certainly jarring and is "perfect", just as Nina would want. Really, this one deserves all of the plaudits it received and really lived up to the hype for me. Expand
  8. May 1, 2014
    Maybe it's the acting, maybe it's the perfect scrip, maybe are the musical numbers that makes this movie a perfect psychological thriller, with a storytelling technique unlike any other.
  9. Apr 20, 2014
    Disturbing. I questioned my own sanity after watching this. I started doubting every single reflection in the mirror, in the bathtub. This movie is hauntingly realistic, with Natalie Portman's acting dragging me into this wormhole.
  10. Mar 5, 2014
    Every thing about this movie is amazing, the acting is flawless, the character development feels real and natural, and the story unfolds in a darkly beautiful way. The camera shots and atmosphere are also very hauntingly gorgeous and help create the tone for the movie. This movie is definitely worth your time and is without a doubt one of the most spectacular movies I have ever seen.
  11. Mar 1, 2014
    I like how Aronofsky can make that depressive atmosphere in his movies and you feel that tension and constant menace all along. This one is even more a thriller rather than a drama. Very good characters by Natalie Portman, Vincent Cassel, Mila Kunis and Barbara Hershey . Also Winona Ryder made a decent job though I didn't even recognize her.
  12. Jan 27, 2014
    Buenísima película. Excelente trabajo de todos los actores y actrices, en especial de Natalie Portman y Mila Kunis. Una excelente película para ver, entretenerse y pensar. Recomendable
  13. Nov 30, 2013
    Never lost my attention for a second. My mind was so invested into what would occur next. Natalie Portman and the rest of the cast were great. It was freaky and passionate which makes it truly stand alone.
  14. Nov 21, 2013
    Black Swan has all the sexy hype, but it's not a finished movie. It's half baked at times. The photography is brilliant and Darren has good direction after his past films. Natalie Portman was great as Lily and Kunis as Nina. The film is visually good but the story is very cheesy. It's dark and romantic, but Black Swan holds its barriers till the end- which dissapoints. It's a twisted and psychic film. It works for the most part. Expand
  15. Oct 7, 2013
    Aronofsky brings to public a film full of anguish. "Black Swan" is Odyssey of madness. Nina leads us to obsessive way. Since first moment, you known that Nina isn't right. It could be horror, familiar and professional pressure but Nina brings us self-destructive spiral. We are witnesses of beautiful insanity. Film is wonderful but it is not totally original. Satoshi Kon's "Perfect Blue" is more perfect than "Black Swan" although "Black Swan" is great too. Expand
  16. Jul 21, 2013
    First take a five gallon bucket. Add stinky rotted vagina slime and some diarrhea together and stir in the bucket.
    Next take out your wiener and urinate into that bucket lightly covering the diarrhea and vagina slime.
    Meanwhile ask several of your friends over and have them all take turns pinching huge massive loafs into the bucket. When they are done stir up the mixture with a tree
    branch while adding six to seven old stinky rotted oysters. Continue stirring while you extract the pound of sausage you've been storing up inside of your own anus or sphincter or butt hole and place it into the mixture. Then rocket squirt your own diarrhea into the bucket followed by seventeen cups of acid filled vomit. Mix that all together and then let it bake in the sun for approximately 2 hours. After that let it sit outside on your porch to rot for about 3 weeks. When you return and look into the bucket you will see that this mixture has turned into the movie BLACK SWAN Expand
  17. Jun 29, 2013
    Great script with a strong, engaging storyline. Excellent acting throughout but a film about a ballet dancer losing her marbles just didn't interest me enough
  18. Jun 20, 2013
    This film was extraordinary like Requiem was. Natalie Portman was more than fabulous and gorgeous. The plot is really smart and first-saw. Mila Kunis was great too. I liked the ending and that twist that it had. Black Swan is one of the greatest thriller ever made in the history of cinema and i think it's a masterpiece
  19. Jun 7, 2013
    Visceral, tragic, disturbing, beautiful, inspiring, terrifying, sexy, passionate, and surreal... Black Swan is one of my favorite films. It shook me to my core when I saw it. The ending is absolutely beautiful and had me in tears, and the score is beautiful and creepy. Portman's best film. Inspiring and terrifying on many levels.
  20. May 20, 2013
    Good trailer.
    Better actress.
    Best movie.
    Natalie Portman can act so convincing and serious.
    The film combines music and dance perfectly with Psycho and elements of horror.
  21. Mar 29, 2013
    sorry to break it to you fan boys but this movie is overrated the story is confusing Natalie Portman performance was solid but that can be said about anyone that will take her part in the movie the writing was awkward and don't even get me started on the homosexual parts of the movie.
  22. Mar 24, 2013
    How far is able to get people to achieve unattainable perfection? because in this film, Aronofsky shows us how a simple ballerina, destroys everything around it for only perfect in an innocent role (in my opinion) and white swan and the evil Black Swan in the famous production of lake of swans, but all it gives a great turn and finish destroying it completely. 'black swan' talks about what to sacrifice a performer to embody a role. Leave out the downside because the script demands it can be a way to open a Pandora's box that was better than remain under lock and key. Using all the resources of traditional horror, such as sound scares, sudden apparitions or visions, confusions Aronofsky creates numerous situations of fear, coupled with the interpretation and dramatic context of the rest of the film, may seem out of tune. The film is borderline, and with a tap to the side, lose balance and be grotesque or ridiculous. But the movie has its own elegance in its production design, but the music reminds me a little of the music of Harry Potter, not me, I just rang me. Of course not all the music, just a song, because as the same sound with Potter, it may not be true, but that I think. We are facing a psychological horror film, a genre that I like a lot but here sule used that concept very well, the large team of writers has done an excellent job of being able, not only to portray the madness and spreading despair, but also to exploit the full potential, but without going over, though, as I say, they were close to the line.
    Now if, now if Natalie Portman Starring achieving a majestic, splendid in all facets of his character and surprising in its transformation. The effort of the actress to embody the rich and complicated role that has faced is more than rewarded, definitivament the Oscar goes to her. Other characters serve a different purpose each involution in suffering going swan queen.
    An interesting paper which makes Mila Kunis who surprises with a brilliant interpretation, that works sometimes counterpoint and other alter ego of the principal. Vincent Cassel is perfect in an enigmatic character who carries the catalyst to trigger all the fire that Nina had inside: it is the motivation for her to undergo metamorphosis.
    The movie is good in every sense, but you have to admit you have scenes and boring and pointless, plus lots of sex scene, I think that influence aydo to see this film, but it's a good book to enjoy. Definitely not to be missed.
    My Score: 9.3
  23. Mar 17, 2013
    a pathetic man's fantasy combined with tricks to convince commercial retards that they're watching an intellectually challenging drama full of culture. Overly dramatic, poorly scripted,a used up ridiculous plot and zero entertainment. It was like watching a cheap street drug addicted prostitute wearing plastering cosmetics in her effort to look beautiful. Or college kids wearing trendy glasses, woolly scarves and holding a copy of War and Peace whilst secretly reading Twilight. Expand
  24. Mar 15, 2013
    Black swan is the most beautiful and interesting film of the year from a genius as Derren Aronofsky.Nina Sayers is a young professional dancer in the New York city ballet company that dreams to become the prime ballerina in the new production of the Swan lake by the artistic director Leroy(Vincent Cassel).She has an obsessive mother,Erica(Barbara Hershey), that makes her life somewhat complicated as she is driven by jealousy towards her daughter. After the former prime dancer Beth Macintyre(Winona Ryder) is forced to retire by Leroy,Nina successfully is cast as Odette,the swan queen.But a mysterious new dancer Lily(Mila Kunis)becomes her most dangerous rival.Darren Aronovsky is a master. One of the greatest director out there.His direction is visionary and everything but ordinary.The pace of the film is really engaging and the script has truly original aspects.The movie has really absorbing moments as the transformation of Nina in the Black swan and her desperation that it is difficult to not be drawn.The depiction of her obsession for the perfection and increasing mental disorder is quite fascinating.The soundtrack is outstanding although it's not original but it's taken from the musical.But it adds to the general beauty of the film and express the characters feeling and the roles they have in the story. Natalie Portman,in her first adult role,excels as the leading character.This is her most complex role and she is exceptional and her first great turn after Closer.Her Oscar Award was completely deserved. Mila Kunis is adequate to the role,but honestly I didn't catch all the praises she gained for her performance.Her role is the easiest and she is an average actress. Vincent Cassel plays "extremely" well the same character(that is inspired by his own personality)in every movie.That's all.And not too much I have to say. Barbara Hershey is truly a gem and she deserved more recognition for her complex role ,she is never over the top although her role could have been played with exaggeration.She is a really great actress.She should have been nominated for an Oscar. Winona Ryder,in her brief role as the fallen prime dancer,was a scene stealer.In only three scenes she is haunting,damned, desperate,intoxicated and angry and was truly mesmerizing.My vote is 10/10 Expand
  25. Mar 9, 2013
    Absolutely a critic and a show, this movie it's exposing the bad and competitive side of the dance, and also showing the process of paranoia and perfectionism, and what they can do with us, great single history and message. Watch it!
  26. Feb 20, 2013
    Darkest and most meaningful movie that I've seen up to this point. It absolutely has something new to say and it doesn't bother the audience by old ideas.
  27. Jan 8, 2013
    I disliked the main character, it isn't inspirational, it doesn't teach you anything, it isn't funny, most of the characters are empty, and it is a sexist movie, what a waste, it deserves a 0 out of 10.
  28. Dec 29, 2012
    Great movie. It's got a lot of passion and talent on stage. I love Portman's sensibility in this film. Sometimes it seem boring or long, but it isn't. I really like it
  29. Dec 20, 2012
    This is a psychological movie. It is all within the mind, or is it? Dark, daring and incredibly well acted...this may very well be a classic one day. I enjoyed i! Great acting, script, direction. A thriller!
  30. Zal
    Dec 20, 2012
    Such a beautiful and disturbing movie with fantastic performances by its cast. Natalie Portman is preparing for her role in Swan Lake while going through her own version and the psychological impact it has on her. I could feel the pain and suffering her character had to endure. The three characters that have a big impact on her are the director, a rival dancer, and her mother and all are key in her character's downfall. However, in the end, the one person she has to overcome is herself.

I don't want to say too much about this movie because I think it should be experienced by all at least once.

This is not a movie for everyone, but I enjoyed it and while it's not perfect, its flaws don't overshadow its strengths.
  31. Dec 19, 2012
    This is the most OVERRATED movie of 2010, it has pretty bad picture, the story was kind of interesting but at the same time it make me think that it was just someone's wet dream brought to the big screen. It has a very bad ending too. Couldn't see the artistic part of the movie. But it may be a good option to watch on a weekend if you couldn't find anything else on the T.V.
  32. Dec 9, 2012
    Man what a film. Forget whether you do or don't like ballet, this is a surreal and intense thriller/horror almost in the vain of some of Stephen kings old stuff. Brilliant, disturbing imagery in parts, a great pace, always entertaining and suspenseful. Drags you deeper and deeper into madness and totally delivers at the end. A masterpiece really.
  33. Dec 8, 2012
    Yes! Another brilliant masterpiece from director, Darren Aronofsky. For me, Black Swan is the perfect example of a modern classic film. A true piece of art, simply astounding in every way.

Immediately after the opening credits, the film left a tense, uneasy feeling in my gut. The atmosphere was established, and I was instantly at the edge of my seat, knowing that something was off. I
    was immediately taken into the film, making the experience one of the best I've ever had.

The brilliant musical score was very effective in establishing the dark tones, as was the perfect cinematography. The use of color in the film was excellent. Blacks and Whites dominated the color palette of the film, establishing the dark tone, but also to furthur emphasizing the idea of good vs. evil.

The acting was excellent. Stunning performances by supporting cast members Barbara Hershey, Winona Ryder, Vincent Cassel, and especially Mila Kunis, who is really showing herself to be a talented young actress with a bright future. Natalie Portman gives the best performance though. In fact, it's the best of her career...she is this film. She portrayed every emotion with a level of maturity and grace that I have never seen before. Her character, Nina, changes so much as the film goes on, but Portman handles the role perfectly. It truly was a brilliant performance, worthy of every praise it received. She more than definitely deserved her Oscar for Best Actress!

The last 40 minutes of the film were pure gold. Some of the best film scenes I have ever seen. The intensity, conflict, horror, art, music, acting, emotion, passion, cinematography, choreography...it was perfect! "I felt it. Perfect. It was perfect!"

Black Swan is a brilliant, brilliant film. Nominated for 5 Academy Awards including Best Picture, Best Director, Best Cinematography, and winner of 1 Academy Award (Best Actress - Natalie Portman), this film is must see! Unlike any other film. Black Swan: I recommend it!
  34. Nov 28, 2012
    Nina Sayers wakes up in the morning and shares the marvelous dream she had with her single mother, Erica. She was on stage, performing the lead role in Tchaikovsky's ballet masterpiece, "Swan Lake." Other hard-working female ballet dancers also dream of this role, and with great reason. To star in an event of this magnitude is not only to share your love for this art. It also provides an opportunity on the grandest scale to finally show the world the passion that you, for so long, spent years to perfect.
    The ballet company that Nina occupies is starting a new season, and its director, Thomas (Vincent Cassel), is looking for a new star. Nina is eventually chosen, but the preparations will not be easy. She is required to play two characters of opposite nature, the White Swan and the Black Swan. Disciplined, controlled, and performing according to technique, Nina is a candidate who is more than ideal for the White Swan. But she lacks the qualities that are essential to embody the Black Swan, which demands her to follow feelings, and not methods.

Read more here: http://localmoviereview.com/black-swan-movie-review/
  35. Nov 17, 2012
    Darren Aronofsky's companion piece to The Wrestler is one of the most elegant, disturbing, striking and unique films in recent memory, pushing the boundaries of what the public is willing to pay for. Sure, the "indie" cinema has been making movies somewhat akin to this for a while, but finally, the viewing public cared. This is not Dogtooth or a Michael Haneke flick, sitting gleefully in its inaccessibility. Aronofsky invited the average audience into his dark vision, and created something beautiful and bleak. Expand
  36. Jul 10, 2012
    Wow! One of the best psychological thrillers of all time! The movie is beautiful throughout despite the dark journey it follows about perfectionism and obsession. A movie that you won't forget. A masterpiece.
  37. May 30, 2012
    This Is My Favorite Movie Of All Time (Excluding Everything Studio Ghibli)
    The Writing And The Acting Are 100% Amazing! Mila Kunis Reveals That She Is A Real Actor And Shocked Me At The Wonderful Performance She Has During The Movie!
  38. May 25, 2012
    Natalie Portman certainly deserved the Best Actress awards because her performance in this film was superb. The whole story was just fantastic, it has depth and excitement. I can really feel the mood of the film which makes me ecstatic. This is just a fantastic film..........
  39. May 19, 2012
    Black Swan is a breathtaking psychological thriller. Its cast and their performances were absolutely perfect. Natalie Portman did a great job and her acting was one of the best of her career and she deserves the Oscar she won on Academy Awards. Mila Kunis gives also a very good performance. Vincent Cassel , Barbara Hershey and Winona Ryder were also very good in their supporting roles. The direction of this movie was also excellent , Darren Aronofsky gave us a great result. But this movie is so good because of its marvelous story by Andres Heinz. There's nothing else to say , all the things in that movie were the best , the story , the direction , the screenplay , the soundtrack , the cast and especially the outstanding performance of Natalie Portman came together to give us a masterpiece!!! Expand
  40. May 12, 2012
    Black Swan is an inscrutable film that makes for uncomfortable viewing. It's actually a little harrowing in it's own way, sporting a type of psychological darkness that both repulses and intrigues. The film is excellently acted across the board and throws up a whole bunch of unhinged surprises. Black swan does wear it's obtuse tendencies feverishly on it's sleeve, thus it tends to bury the needle a touch too far into the pretentious. Overall, Black Swan is a good film and one that will baffle and inspire debate. A strong stomach is required! Expand
  41. Apr 14, 2012
    Bizarre and frighteningly passionate, Black Swan shows signs of grace and beauty yet still shows a dark and sinister plot. Crammed with superb directorial skills along with a breath-taking and truly astonishing performance by the one and only Natalie Portman.
  42. Mar 24, 2012
    Black swan is a fantastic and dark film. the acting my Portman is flawless. A daring a film with scary moments at times but never boring. some might be turned off by the ballet part but trust me this film delivers stuff for everyone to enjoy.
  43. Feb 16, 2012
    Natalie Portman did a great job portraying this insecure, shy, wanna-be-perfect ballerina. Her performance was tremendous and Oscar - worthy. this was her role and she will be remembered by it. I won't be surprised if she wins an Oscar for best actress. Honestly i want her to win. I' ve never saw her this perfect. She gave her all for this movie, and she killed it! A great film, definitely a must-see. Expand
  44. Feb 15, 2012
    I finally saw this movie recently. If I were rating this on a scale of ballerina/dance movies, it would get a flawless 10 out of 10 score. I never would have thought that a ballerina/dance movie could be this interesting. A lot of the credit goes to Natalie Portman, who is phenomenal in this movie. All that being said, as a movie, it's just pretty good. It simply wasn't entertaining enough, and there were too many scenes that didn't seem to have much of a point. Worst of all, I didn't feel much of a connection with any of the characters (as good as Portman was). I've heard some people compare this to the Wrestler (which seems pretty fair). The difference between those two though is that Mickey Rourke's character seemed so much more human than Portman's character. It's pretty hard to really like Portman's character in this, considering she's a borderline pyscho. Decent movie, overhyped, probably won't see it again, but don't regret seeing it. Certainly gets points for originality. Expand
  45. Jan 26, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Black Swan, as has come to be expected from Darren Aronofsky's films, is not an easy watch. It's multiple layers of reality, heady themes and dark, surreal imagery may put some viewers off. If you enjoy challenging, original filmmaking that works on multiple levels, then Black Swan could be the ideal film for you. There is no weak link in the casting. Natalie Portman quite rightly won the Academy Award for Best Actress, and her powerful and intricately complex performance as the massively paranoid ballet dancer Nina Sayers will remain with you long after the end credits roll. Mila Kunis, Vincent Cassel and Barbara Hershey all leave their own marks on the film as Nina's rebellious but talented rival Lily, her womanising director Thomas and her over-protective, domineering mother respectively. Also worth a mention is Winona Ryder playing Beth MacIntyre, a huge ballet star forced into early retirement and replaced by Nina - it's a relatively small but crucial role, and Ryder's best performance in years. The film looks fantastic, with Matthew Libatique's cinematography and Andrew Weisblum's editing evolving with the mood of the film - as story becomes more fractured and erratic, the camera movements become less smooth, the editing choppier and more jarring. The style of the whole film is designed to create a steadily increasing sense of unease, so as Nina steadily loses her grip on reality, so do we as viewers. We don't quite know what is as isn't real from about halfway through the film, so much of it is open to interpretation. My only gripe is in the final act where Nina appears to physically transform into a swan with the assistance of expensive-looking CGI. I almost wish Aronofsky saved his money here, as the simpler visuals he employs are far more effective (Portman's reflection moving of its own accord is a far creepier way to represent Nina's fractured identity as a result of her obsession with the black swan role than her physically sprouting feathers). Despite this minor annoyance, Black Swan remains an extremely powerful, intelligent and thought-provoking film that you'll be hard-pressed to forget. Expand
  46. Jan 13, 2012
    Black Swan deserves the title of psychological thriller more than simple drama because, although its about a ballet dancer that wants to get the leading role in the Swan Lake, shows the journey that has to make an obsessive and disturbed girl throw her subconscious to change her personality. But this will become more difficult because she will have to struggle not only against herself but also with an overprotective mother who tries to fulfill her broken dreams through Nina.
    Changes start physically and with the help of the director of the ballet company and another dancer, Nina will discover her alter ego. This concept is pursued by Darren Aronofsky, and it can also be notice in The Wrestler. The idea is to show the other side of reality, the one that scares us, our other personality hidden deeply in ourselves.
    The performances are as remarkable as the plot, and in the final scene, Natalie Portman gives an incredible presentation, which is impulsive and seductive at the same time, culminating her transformation and achieving perfection.
    The amazing thing about this movie is that all the elements: plot, performances, music, dialogues, confusing and frightening images, leads to complete madness. And because of this is hard to distinguish if the things that you see in the movie are fact or fiction, but that topic is for your own interpretation.
  47. Jan 9, 2012
    This movie is plain brilliant. The stronghold is its script as with all movies, but this one in particular stands out because of its very unique and dynamic development. The storyline is very original and it is putted out in the same way, with a very intriguing and terrifying psychological plot. The concept of madness is its central element, and it is unwrapped is a way that will make you feel it yourself. The horror also takes deep involvement in the telling of this story and it has a huge part on constructing the mind altering movie this is. Over another aspect; the acting is as well excellent, with wonderful performances that have proven to be an essential part of this production with major contributions to the whole feeling of it. Totally amazing, this dark and machiavellian title will challenge your mind as never before and make you experience the psychological evolution through unexpected twists until achieved the utmost insanity seen in this movie. Expand
  48. Jan 6, 2012
    La pelicula mas impresionante del año tanto en historia y complejidad sino tambien en espectaculares interpretaciones. Oscura, brillante, compleja, espectacular, sorprendente, magnifica y sobretodo impresionante. Natalir Portman esta espectacular uno de los mejores films del año
  49. Dec 30, 2011
    Black Swan is gripping, dramatic, intense and passionate and Natalie Portman brings all that in her unforgettable performance. This movie also has a strong performance from Mila Kunis and has some cool visual effects that fit the movie. I give this movie 93%.
  50. Dec 24, 2011
    Considering my disinterest in ballet this movie kept me interested until the end. Brilliantly directed with some excellent camera work it is an interesting tale of a ballerinas slow degradation into insanity. May not be for everyone but it is well worth watching
  51. Nov 15, 2011
    A deep and passionate ride that tickles your mind with a psychological twist. BS might cast level 5 confuse on you if you don't give it your full attention as it is compelling as it is bewildering.
  52. Nov 12, 2011
    I really enjoyed this movie. I am now a fan of Natalie Portman - who played both naughty and nice in the same movie pertaining to her actual role as black swan. The movie left me confused in many parts but I do understand its use of psychology of those that delve into perfectionism. This movie was not something I looked forward to watching - but I'm glad I did.
  53. J_B
    Nov 5, 2011
    This movie was certainly not for everyone. But I liked it because it was different; the story is so unique. It's beautiful yet at often times gruesome. Must see.
  54. Nov 3, 2011
    Black Swan is dark, intense, beautifully acted and thought-provoking. With Natalie Portman's excellent performance and Darren Aronofsky's bold direction, Black Swan is one of the best psychological thrillers out there. 4/4 stars.
  55. Oct 17, 2011
    Black Swan is almost as perfect as it's protagonist's final performance. With an incredibly detailed, perfected, yet subtle performance by Natalie Portman - a career best, most certainly - Black Swan manages to keep ones attention fully throughout the length of the film. Not only does Portman shine, but so does the supporting cast, especially Barbara Hershey and Mila Kunis. With many fantastical aspects to the film, it is somewhat confusing and keeps one on the edge of their seat, since we never know what is really happening with Nina (Portman) and her surrounding. The cinematography is beautiful and the editing is done quite superbly. The musical score is very appropriate, with beautiful music by Tchaikovsky, including a techno-redo for a club scene, done by the Chemical Brothers.
    The only aspect of the film that left me wanting more was a pre-story to Nina's situation. Yes, the focus of the film is rather appropriate, but a nice extra 5-10 minutes at the beginning to set the stage would be nice. Or some sort of flashbacks? That, of course, would take away from the mystique of the film, but by the end I did feel I wanted to know more about Nina and how she got to where she was. The film did that in many ways effectively, but I still felt there were some things Aronofsky could have worked out.
    Nonetheless, one of the best films of the year, by far! Excellent!!
  56. Oct 7, 2011
    This is a very interesting film. I really like how the whole movie went together. Now the one thing that some viewers might not like about the movie is how sexual the film is. It does play a part in the story. Like the more gritty dirtier version of Swan Lake. The cast is excellent. Natalie Portman is pretty intense and so strict in her life. While you have Mila Kunis who is more bubbly and willing to do anything. Winona Ryder is in the film but seems like she was dying. Couldn't tell if it was her or the character. Vincent Cassel is also pretty good as he pushes Portman's character to be the best. The film really has a dark feel to it showing how the mind can warp reality and take control. If you are not a fan of the theater, when you here Swan Lake, you think boring. But even though this seems like a different movie, it actually has the presence of Swan Lake in the background and it makes it very more interesting to think about. Expand
  57. Sep 21, 2011
    "Black Swan" is a fearless movie that unveils the psychological horror of perfectionism and observes the deepest, darkest personalities of mankind. All of this is created and formed with Keen, sensitive direction and a frightfully perfect performance from Natalie Portman (as expected, she won a Oscar for her performance). Ultimately, this masterpiece is a beautiful dark twisted movie you must, and will watch. Expand
  58. j30
    Sep 20, 2011
    My favorite movie from 2010. It's beautifully dark and intensely made by Darren Aronofsky, who has kind of a streak with me (my favorite 2008 movie The Wrestler). Natalie Portman's haunting performance is amazing. The whole cast brings their A-game. Mila Kunis (her rival), Vincent Cassel (the creepy director), and Barbra Hershey (the crazy-ass mother). I know it's not categorized as a horror movie, but it sure feels like it and it's nice to see some recognition from the academy. Expand
  59. Sep 18, 2011
    Black Swan is a disturbing and intense cinematic work that is nearly the definition of perfection. Natalie Portman's performance is simply spectacular.
  60. Aug 31, 2011
    Every Scene of this film were so intense, but in a good way. She was always trying to reach perfection, and in the whole film there's a balance between reason and emotion, and Nina couldn't reach both, until the end of the movie, when she says "I was perfect". So overall i though the movie was amazing, all the cast was fantastic, especially Natalie Portman, Mila Kunis and Barbara Hershey, but this was really Natalie's biggest performance in her career, her expressions, emotions, the dancing, everything, she was actually perfect, and a big thank you to Darren Aronofsky, not only he already deliver films like Requiem for a Dream and the Wrestler, now he comes with Black Swan, a Beautiful Psychological Thriller about a Ballerina who wants to be perfect (off course there's more to it), so thank you very much for this masterpiece. Expand
  61. Aug 27, 2011
    There are few directors working today who are as talented, original, and fearless as Darren Aronofsky. From Requiem for a Dream, to the underrated The Fountain, to The Wrestler, he is constantly pushing the boundary and creating compelling works of art that will stand the test of time. Black Swan is one of his crowning achievements. It is such an odd blend of moods and textures, styles and images; it is a thrilling, bold statement about art and madness.

Read the full review at:
  62. Aug 25, 2011
    Two things are vital in pulling a movie so histrionic and artsy off. The first is directing, where Aronofsky displays his natural talent as a director, as he weaves the scenes flawlessly, in an odd combination of lo-fi hand-held naturalism, and hyberbolic artsiness. He is a true visionary. The second is the performance by the lead, Natalie Portman, which, needless to say, is a revelation. Many will criticize it as being over-the-top, which it certainly is, but it seems natural all the way through, largely due to her obsession with the art form. And that is the underlying terror in Black Swan. The need to unleash your dark side to master art, but being afraid of what might come out. Expand
  63. Aug 23, 2011
    Depuis son rôle dans Léon, Natalie Portman n'a plus eu de chanche pour nous éblouir. Avec Black Swan, nous pouvons admirer cette actrice une nouvelle fois, à sa juste valeur, dans un film en tout point prenant, sensuel et superbement mis en scène. Drame, "érotique", thriller, horreur...presque tous les genres se sont donnés rendez-vous pour faire de cette oeuvre l'un des meilleurs films de cette année! Expand
  64. Aug 18, 2011
    It's a truly masterpiece. Aranofsky's amazing direction is aided by a good supporting cast, a cinematography of highest level and a brilliant, terrific and memorable performance by Natalie Portman.
  65. Aug 15, 2011
    I really enjoyed this movie. I would see it again. I always like Natalie Portman in any film. ......................................................................................................................
  66. Aug 5, 2011
    I wanna start by saying that this is probably, the best movie i've ever seen in my entire life. I mean Natalie was PERFECT, The screenplay is amazing, the cinematography is amazing, everything is perfect about this movie. I can't think of anything bad to say about this masterpiece. Darren Aronofsky is definitely one of the most talented directors in the movie industry. Even Vicent, Barbara, Mila and Winona were great in this movie. Amazing, amazing talent. This is the one that should've won Best Picture, instead of "The King's Speech". I felt everything while watching this movie. I highly recommend it!
    Black Swan : a 10 out of 10 !
  67. Jul 17, 2011
    I really, really enjoyed this movie. It's a masterpiece, one of the best movies in the last decade. It's all about the heroin's personality, feelings, reactions and interactions with other characters; which are all just so beautifully portrayed by Natalie Portman, she really deserved that Oscar. The whole movie is centered on Nina and you experience every emotions with her, which is very stimulating. Truly a masterpiece. A work of art. I can only hope you get to feel the way I did. Otherwise, well.. you'll end up putting a bad score on it. Expand
  68. Jul 12, 2011
    A great theatrical experience. From the very first frame I was submerged in this world and more importantly, inside Natalie Portman's performance which is what really tells the story. She is more telling of her character when she is not talking, I believed her every second she was on screen. I sympathized with her and went through all the dark emotions played out with her. She shouldn't get all the credit though. Darron Aronofsky does a tremendous job with the camera and the visuals, all subtle and eerie. He has created a great dark fantasy. Expand
  69. Jul 6, 2011
    Mila Kunis steals the show, to be honest... Her character was easier to love but that's not to diminish Natalie Portman's performance, which was remarkable. The art direction and cinematography was brilliant, as was the directing.
  70. Jul 4, 2011
    A lite porno with a tacked on story line that was as "thrilling" as watching a silent horror movie from the silent movie era where the only sound was that of a piano being played to enhance the viewers mood during those otherwise silent screenings. Except this movie doesn't have that piano to enhance the mood. The only disturbing sound throughout this entire movie is that of a protagonist that, when speaking, stuck out like a broken, ill confident little child. Would this kind of character ever get to be the star of a leading production ballet company? I don't even hardly think so.

If the protagonist in this movie were to have been, from the start, an over confident and obnoxious character that slowly descended into madness then this would have been much more thrilling. Instead the meek and clueless character gets a little less meek and a little less clueless and then completely breaks. Bearing in mind that the impact of this break might be equally reflected by an egg cracking on the floor after having been accidentally dropped, not thrown. Not a very surprising result, really.

The actors made a valiant attempt at playing the characters that they were assigned. It's just a shame that the characters were all bland.

This film gets 2 points from me. The lite and brief porn scene at least made me sit up straight in my chair and grabbed my attention that little bit more for those few, undeserving seconds.
    If you're a fan of ballet then you might appreciate the behind-the-scenes drama this film shows. If you're not a fan of ballet then I would suggest you look elsewhere for a thrilling time.
  71. Jul 3, 2011
    Honestly. The best movie I've ever seen. I believe it was a nicely cast film and well written. It takes you deep into the psychologically disturbed mind of Nina (Natalie Portman). It's apparent that Nina is a closed off "mama's" girl. Nina, still living with her mother and sleeping in a pink bedroom, starts the film seeming rather normal with a few odd things such as the scratches on her back. Things seem to spiral further into psychological torment after she is cast as Swan Queen in "Swan Lake". She, as well as the audience, begins to see things wrong with her that everyone around her cannot see. For example, the tearing of skin off her finger in the bathroom, the lesbian love scene with Lily (Mila Kunis). In this fantastic psychological thriller Natalie Portman reaches what seems to be deep down to be able to portray herself as this disturbed soul. The last scene is simply breathtakingly fantastic, leaving you in awe and wanting more. One of the best film's I have ever seen. I say you must watch "Black Swan". Expand
  72. Jun 26, 2011
    At first, I was hesitant towards this movie seeing as melodramas and ballet dancing aren't really my thing. But when I saw it I thought it really was rather good, at least in the wonderfully directed and choreographed dance sequences. It also makes a very effective thriller at times, with some horrific hallucinations that actually shocked me. The acting is over the top and the plot is very overly complicated and confusing, but if you like classical music, ballet and drama at its highest level, go see this film. Expand
  73. Jun 23, 2011
    Breath taking. That's the words I use to describe this movie. Simply brilliant. Darren is seriously one of the best living directors of our time. I fail to see how so many people are oblivious to this fact and would rather watch a Michael Bay movie. Whatever, this movie's packed with symbolism, psychology and a great look into the character Nina's world[view].
  74. Jun 20, 2011
    After seeing this movie (And really looking forward to it) to say I was disappointed would be an understatement. I really don't understand what all the fuss was about. I can say that I am happy I didn't spend money watching it at the cinemas, and only ended up wasting a few bucks on this load of disjointed tripeat the video store. I could also understand why fellow nominees at the oscars could feel ripped off that Portman scored an oscar for this, in what can only be described as an over-acted, predictable performance. A sad hollywood attempt at what would have been much better left to an arthouse cinema. Bad plot, bad acting, deplorable ending, can't believe I stuck with it. Don't waste your hard earned on this one folks! Expand
  75. Jun 6, 2011
    Definitely more a ch... err woman's flik, but I still enjoyed it.

Slow paced, but for a reason, not to milk the clock.

Nuanced performances that satisfied. All around a solid movie, that deserves my 8 and then some.
  76. May 31, 2011
    I am deeply confused by Black Swan. On one hand it is an astonishing mix of twists and turns, displaying the very essence of madness and obsession. But it has quite a flaw. When I watch a film I feel for the characters. Whether its because I hate them or love them, I become attached and care about what happens to them. In Black Swan, I never really cared what happened to the characters. The director has created abominations. Extremely talented acting, but each portrayed in such a way as you cannot become attached to them. In it's main box office rival, the Kings Speech, I was infatuated by all the characters. For good or ill, i wanted to see what happened. In Black Swan, I was left un-moved. Expand
  77. May 29, 2011
    Absolute garbage. ...........................................................................................................................................................
  78. May 29, 2011
    If someone stole the whole show was Natalie Portman. She delivers the performance of a lifetime. Forget "Star Wars", "V for Vendetta" and keep a bit of "Leon" and "Garden State"... You are not the best young actress at the moment but you are definitely on the top one! If Natalie doesn't deserve an Oscar for her portraying of Nina Sayers then nobody ever did. This movie takes the story of dual personalities to a whole new level of unknown, which is beautifully portrayed by Natalie Portman, taking her to a spot where the Oscar doesn't look like just a dream anymore. It's a touching story, based around a small group of characters, and that's a place where Aronofsky is at his best (i.e. Requiem for a dream). Also, it would be unfair to forget Vincent Cassel, who showed himself in a totally different manner creating a strong, patriarchal character. In the end, this work of art is worth every single dollar and minute you spend on it. It's a guaranteed classic! Expand
  79. May 23, 2011
    Well, y'know... It was a brilliant idea to pursue it with Natalie Portman in mind you know. She was just amazing and her depth! Oh how she scared the sh*t outta me? Dear Lord, your movie is the horror film of the year because of Portman and... Barbara Hershey! Scariest lady since Sylvia Ganush! Damn, I also commend Vincent Cassel and Mila Kunis! But oh, I couldn't put into words how much I admire this. Forget the Step Up 3D sh*t, this is the best dance movie of 2010! Expand
  80. May 20, 2011
    Natalie Portman deserves a lot of props. she was excellent in this film. it was gorgeous to look at. the ending was the best. it was acted to perfection by Portman. the choreography was good. Natalie Portman deserved the Oscar
  81. May 14, 2011
    One word describes the entire film phenomenal !!!! I loved the cinematography and the fascinating plot that keeps you on the edge of your seat ,and left you craving to perceive what was approaching next . This film easily sucks you in and won't let your interest vanish.
  82. May 8, 2011
    While I thought this movie was very good [and intense], I would never watch it again, or own it on DVD. There are only so many manic depressive ballerina movies a person could handle.
  83. Apr 22, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I really disliked this movie. I really don't understand how people can give this a good rating. Maybe it's just the men who are voting. Men who like to see Natalie and Mila gettin' it on. Black Swan was probably the scariest movie that I have seen in theaters. I warn all- do not see this movie with your parents or relatives. I was just begging for the movie to end. It was too intense for me, and for what? So the audience could see someone hallucinate and fall to their death? Not my kind of story. I'm not saying that every story must have a magical, happy ending. I'm not saying that by any means. But Black Swan had no substance or purpose. All I could see what a crazy girl getting molested every five minutes. I don't mean to ramble, but no one see this movie. Save your sanity. Expand
  84. Apr 20, 2011
    The movie is disturbing all the way to its closing scene, haunting the viewer with its brilliant cinematography and beautifully choreographed and shot dance scenes. The movie is intoxicating, fast-paced, and keeps you on the edge of your seat. The acting is all very good, and Natalie Portman certainly deserves recognition for her fantastic work. A fantastic film.
  85. Apr 20, 2011
    10 because watching it at an independent cinema about a month after it released was the best cinema experience i've had. If this film was watched at anything less than a home cinema, it wouldn't have been anywhere near as enjoyable.
  86. Apr 17, 2011
    Utter self indulgent crap... I wish Aronofsky would switch it up a bit. Same old drivel. If you really insist on watching someone unhinging, watch Roman Polanski's Repulsion. Oh Darren why don't you go out and have some fun the world isn't gloomy 24/7 as it is in yours. But whatever you do don't try comedy I couldn't stand waiting 5 minitues for each punchline.
  87. Apr 14, 2011

I'm sure you know the overall plot for this movie but in case not I'll give a brief rundown. A ballerina is chosen to play the parts of the White Swan and then the Black Swan in play put on by her dancing troupe. The problems come when she starts to imagine that the new girl is trying to take her spot. What follows is actually a
    pretty dark thriller, not what some people were expecting at all I feel.

First off I'll complement the acting. Natalie Portman deserved the Best Actress award and she rightly won it. To be able to dance like that period but also act is no easy task. The supporting actors and actresses were just as good as well.

While I loved the idea of the story and believe they did a great job with it and the direction they took, and I loved the acting. I do have some problem with the movie. Mainly the pace that it went at. I mean I know it was a movie about ballerinas but I don't think I was expecting a large, and I mean large, portion of the movie to just be about the dancing and the culture around it. So that made the movie progress really slow for me, which also made the thrilling moments (her acts of craziness) sporadic throughout the movie but that may work for the movie as they were genuinely scary (or at least surprising), so in that way I guess the pace worked for the effect of the movie but not this viewer. I still say you should go see it though, great movie.
  88. Apr 11, 2011
    This is Natalie Portman's best role, period. She nails her role as a tortured ballerina that is slowly losing her mind. The plot isn't extraordinary, but it is still griping from beginning to end. The music and cinematography are absolutely beautiful. It was thrilling and many times gave me a chill. There were multiple times where I cringed at what was occurring on screen. When I first heard about this movie, I thought it was going to really about ballet, and it did not seem to interest me that much, but it is far from it. It involves ballerinas, but it is more about being able to be a little crazy to reach artistic perfection. It was thrilling and occasionally scary at parts, and I definitely believe that Natalie Portman deserves the award she received. Expand
  89. Apr 11, 2011
    I cannot understand why people keep saying that this movie will be "forgotten". I don't think that I will be able to unsee the images I witnessed in this film, and for that, I applaud Black Swan. This is an incredibly beautiful, utterly disturbing film, which will leave you on tenterhooks the entire time. A must-see, and a must-have for the household (though the kids may not want to watch...).
  90. Apr 10, 2011
    Boring and disturbing. Could not even finish it. I do not qualify insanity and boarder line porn ART. This movie was so uncorfortable that we decided to not put ourselves through any more torture.
  91. Apr 3, 2011
    I enjoyed this movie rather more than I had expected to. The first thing I noticed was the novelty of an environment I am utterly ignorant of, a ballet company, rife with all its requisite ambitions and jealousies. Nina's paranoid delusions are completely random, and quite unsettling, giving the feeling that we are just as out of control as she since we cannot tell who or what is real at any given moment. What I found most intriguing of all was that for Nina to perform her role as black swan, she had to self destruct/let the crazy out that she (and her mother) had so assiduously kept contained. We are left to imagine the epilogue of this story, and I am rather grateful for that, because we the viewer can always write a better movie than some Hollywood hack factory, right? The movie ends just as Swan Lake ends, with a death, and that is rather clever in that "Black Swan" borrows from a master, to give us a subsidiary tale that can only exist in the shadow of that genius, but oh what a shadow! Tchaikovsky opened the door with his Black Swan, Aronofsky, Heyman, and Heinz merely dared to descibe some of the furniture within, with theirs. Expand
  92. POV
    Apr 3, 2011
    MMM...Psychological thriller. What great cinematography. What good handling by Aronofsky of the duality of self, of good and evil, of black and white and gray. I think that there are very powerful moments in the film, and the calmer moments are never calm, but in contrast to their counterparts, calm-er.
    Good story, good adaptation of the swan lake, good acting, well done.
  93. Apr 3, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Just... perfect......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................... Expand
  94. Mar 30, 2011
    I understand what this film tried to do and what direction it took and why. But i couldn't help but feel so bored throughout all this film.

It's a love hate thing. Natalie Portman takes up so much of this film, if you don't like her character you won't like this film. Which i didn't.
  95. Mar 30, 2011
    Great movie in a bad year for movies. I think 2010 was just a very bad year for movies and that just helped to make this movie look better than it was. I'm not saying it was a bad movie, I'm just saying that this year in movies is making it look better then it really is.
  96. Mar 30, 2011
    I'm a very picky person, and I only have a very short list of mives that are my all time favorites, and not is Black Swan in that list, but it tops off that list. It is simply the best film I've ever seen. Number one Natalie Portman was phenominal in her role as Nina. It was a very hard role, and she had it doen to a T. She totally desereved her Oscar. The real star though is Darren Aronofsky. His direction in this film was absolutley breathtaking. He is one of the best filmmakers left in Hollywood. His movies are always good, if not great. The way he directed this film was a spooky and creepy. The way the classical music was used in this film was absolutley genius. The cinematography in every scene was excellent. It created the tension for the film and never let you go until the last moment. The use of black and white as symbolism was also a very good mood and the love scene between Natalie Portman and Mila Kunis was beautiful. It wasn't gratuitous or exploitative. It was forced or thrown in. It went with the movie. The film creeped me out, it had at the edge of my seat and at that final moment, it had me tearing up. Why didn't this movie win any more Oscars? It was absolutley perfect. This film stayed with me even after I watched it and I have a feeling that it will stay with me for a long time. Expand
  97. Mar 28, 2011
    This is one of my favorite movies ever! Natalie Portman deserved her Oscar for her amazing performance. Ever since I saw it, I have been obsessed with it. The acting, story, direction, screenplay, visuals, and music are all perfect. A perfect movie.
  98. Mar 24, 2011
    Even though it starts out bland the latter part really digs into me with its disturbing imaging and artistic nature. I was hoping for the thrills to come sooner and I was just about to walk out when all of a sudden, I see Portman run into Kunis' arms. Things got really interesting after that. While not one of the greatest movies of all time it is still one of the best I've seen so far this new decade. Expand
  99. Mar 20, 2011
    Black Swan offers a bizarre and overwhelming look inside the mind of a psychotic artist. Viewing the film leaves any perceptive audience questioning what caused the heroine to become so twisted, and what causes her sadistic supervisors to keep believing in such a frail and inept person. Some scenes fit into the cliché horror film, some others are so psychologically disturbing it leaves you breathless. Natalie Portman performs greatly accurate and clearly crosses boundaries in her acting the script would've otherwise kept lesser great actresses from. Mila Kunis is an unusual but perfectly fitting addition to an artsy, brilliant cast. In conclusion, the movie is scarier and more surprising than it's beginning promises - a must see, but not for the weak hearted. Expand
  100. Mar 15, 2011
    I LOVE J/PhycoLogical Horror!
    This is just great!
    Natalie Portman puts a lot of work into it.
    The director is awesome!
    And there's a lesbian sex scene in 'ere.
    It's not awesome for obvious reasons, it's well directed, it has a huge impact on the plot, and it actually "Means" something!

Oh.. and it's scary as ****

1. Reviewed by: Dan Jolin
    Jan 17, 2011
    An extraordinary, intoxicating movie. Its hard, twisted edges may turn off some, but there's no faulting either Aronofsky's technical mastery or Portman's flawless performance.
  2. Reviewed by: Kristin Hunt
    Jan 6, 2011
    Just like the final performance by its deeply disturbed heroine, Black Swan is perfect.
  3. Reviewed by: Mike Scott
    Dec 17, 2010
    Arriving with a savage grace, director Darren Aronofsky's nightmare-come-to-life Black Swan cements his reputation not only as one of the more daring filmmakers of his generation, but also as an actor's director of the first order.