New Line Cinema | Release Date: December 8, 2004
2.7
Generally unfavorable reviews based on 266 Ratings
WATCH NOW
grandpajoe6191Sep 27, 2011
"Blade: Trinity" is so terrible, its a comedy (thanks to Ryan Reynolds).
juliankennedy23Jul 5, 2014
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Blade: Trinity: 1 out of 10: Press reports at the time of Blade: Trinity's release claimed that star Wesley Snipes went off the deep end and tried to kill the director David S. Goyer. Lord knows he could have gotten away with it. Show the jury this movie and let the acquittals fly.

After two better than we deserved films the third Blade is a mess. For one thing the casting director is insane. The good guys consist of Snipes, Gabby Hayes (Kris Kristofferson), Elektra (Jessica Biel), Van Wilder (Ryan Reynolds), a retarded guy, a blind woman and Newt from Aliens.

The good guys have a "club" called the Nightstalkers. (What no Darren McGavin). Biel fights with an overtly plugged iPod playing horrible techno. (I would think being able to hear would be important in hand-to-hand combat) Reynolds's character spouts off endless one liners (most of them remarkably lame) and is saddled with the name Hannibal King. (Also needless to say remarkably lame) and fights with a light saber bow. (Please see above).

Speaking of lame we have the bad guys. We have wrestler triple H (who cannot act), Parker Posey (who cannot speak with the fangs in her mouth) and best of all Dracula (Who calls himself Drake. Thinks he is in a Highlander movie. He is also a pacifist piece of Euro trash that looks like he fell of a Harlequin romance book cover. And is easily the least convincing screen Dracula I have ever scene (I'm including both George Hamilton and Mel Brooks in this equation)).

The script is awful (even if you remove Reynolds's one-liners), the film was edited in a Cuisinart, the continuity was done by the blind girl, and the plot consists of bad guys finding good guys headquarters, then good guys finding bad guys headquarters.

If your still not convinced a contribution to Mr. Snipes potential legal defense fund is in order let me remind you. Parker Posey is the head vampire and has a climatic battle with Van Wilder. You can make the check out to cash.
oliver1hMay 30, 2013
The characters are not bad-ass, just simply bad: annoying, two-dimensional, cliche. Ryan Reynolds and Parker Posey were atrocious in their roles. Dominic Purcell lacked the charisma of being Dracula. The whole story was uninteresting, andThe characters are not bad-ass, just simply bad: annoying, two-dimensional, cliche. Ryan Reynolds and Parker Posey were atrocious in their roles. Dominic Purcell lacked the charisma of being Dracula. The whole story was uninteresting, and lacked imagination. The action remained, but was overused with too much hand-to-hand combat scenes. Overall bad. Expand
SuperheroMoviesAug 27, 2013
There seems to be nothing interesting about this second sequel whatsoever. The plot is aimless, the action tends to feel tedious, and the film appears to focus more heavily on its comedy than its action.
Cinemassacre94Mar 20, 2016
If you're going to make a vampire movie, here's a piece of advice: leave Dracula out of it. The character is so iconic that virtually no cinematic interpretation will do him justice. Unfortunately, that's not something that writer/directorIf you're going to make a vampire movie, here's a piece of advice: leave Dracula out of it. The character is so iconic that virtually no cinematic interpretation will do him justice. Unfortunately, that's not something that writer/director David S. Goyer recognizes. So, in order to give vampire-hunter Blade a "worthy" adversary for his third outing, Goyer elects to pit the hybrid superhero against his old comic-book nemesis (on the written page, Blade first debuted in "Tomb of Dracula"), with unfortunate results. Take away the film's attitude, and you're left with Son of Van Helsing.

Blade: Trinity is more of the same. Blade (Wesley Snipes) sees vampires. Blade kills vampires. Blade reloads and goes back for more. The only ones he has any real trouble with are human beings. For some inexplicable reason, they're more difficult to dispatch than the undead. The storyline makes less sense than the ones embraced by Blade and Blade II, if that's possible. This time, Blade is given two sidekicks: the irritating Hannibal King (Ryan Reynolds), who has a wisecrack for every occasion, and the sexy Abigail Whistler (Jessica Biel), who is the daughter of Blade's old friend, Whistler (Kris Kristofferson). These three must go up against the king of vampires, Dracula (Dominic Purcell), who has been awakened by the toothy Danica Talos (Parker Posey) to implement the vampires' "final solution."

Those who are looking for variations on a theme won't find any here. Blade: Trinity is a carbon copy of its predecessors. It's all kick-ass attitude and style without any substance to back it up. Yet, where the first two Blades satisfied on a visceral level, this one doesn't. That probably has something to do with the portrayal of Dracula, who, in human form, looks more like a body builder than a vampire. When he reverts to this "true" likeness, he comes across like a rip-off of the alien from Predator. And, since all really bad guys like nicknames, he goes by the moniker of "Drake." I guess "Vlad" doesn't work these days.

Although the vampires in Blade: Trinity aren't scary, at least they are not emasculated by the romantic notions applied by writers such as Ann Rice. These are cold-blooded killers, which allows Blade and his cohorts to dispatch them without blinking an eye. The film features dozens of vampire destructions, many of which occur during the film's frantic, frenzied opening battle, which is big on loud music, quick cuts, and violence. Much of the movie is like that, and what starts out as energetic quickly becomes tiresome, then boring. Besides, we have seen this before - twice, to be exact. (Although, to be fair, Biel is a lot hotter than Snipes when high-kicking her way through a hoard of fanged bad-guys - at least from this reviewer's perspective.)

The plot is dumb and dumber, so the less said about it, the better. It's really just a clothesline upon which to hang the fight scenes, but that doesn't keep it from dangerously resembling the lame storyline of Van Helsing. (And no movie wants to be compared on any level to that particular blockbuster dud.) This is Goyer's directing debut (although he had scribed all three movies), and he steals liberally from previous directors Stephen Norrington and Guillermo Del Toro (who was offered the job on this one, but decided to make Hellboy instead). The music is just as loud as in the previous films, and the gags and one-liners are more often lame than funny. (Although I chuckled at the fate of the dogs.)

The movie's bedrock is Snipes, who takes Blade to a new level of coolness. Radiating frost, Snipes struts his way through the movie, never allowing the viewer's attention to veer from him. Jessica Biel, who has the toughness and sex-appeal but not quite the same presence, holds her own, but the fatuous Ryan Reynolds (Van Wilder himself) falls on his face. As Dracula, Dominic Purcell is a putz, and represents one of the worst villain casting decisions of the year. Kris Kristofferson is as stiff as the walking dead - thankfully, his screen time is limited. Then there's Parker Posey, who plays her role as a lady vampire with all the campy subtlety of a drag queen.

The target audience for Blade: Trinity is the same as it was for the previous two incarnations, and it will probably be met by pretty much the same reaction in all corners. As a character, Blade is a terrific property, and the films have enhanced the creation of Marvel Comics legends Marv Wolfman & Gene Colan (both of whom are "honored" by an in-joke in this film, when an issue of the old "Tomb of Dracula" gets screen time). Snipes has made Blade his perfect cinematic alter-ego. Now if only someone could give the character a story worth telling, the pieces might all be in place for a great action/horror thriller. But, although the saying goes "third time's a charm," that's not the case here.
MarcoR.Sep 2, 2006
Very good movie, lots of great cameras and angles, the chics are hot, I really liked it a lot! I don't recommend it to people who don't like vampire tales, they won't like it, maybe that's why it got such bad reviews.
1 of 3 users found this helpful
MarcD.Dec 9, 2004
Oh how this brilliant series has fallen. Besides the fact that Trinity is just too sloppy and unpolished from a visual standpoint, the story lacks any decent sense of direction or purpose. However, the Mortal Kombat style fatality comes from Oh how this brilliant series has fallen. Besides the fact that Trinity is just too sloppy and unpolished from a visual standpoint, the story lacks any decent sense of direction or purpose. However, the Mortal Kombat style fatality comes from the mere fact that Dracula is just the lamest excuse for a villain in the history of vamp-dom. Expand
0 of 1 users found this helpful
oxanaSep 12, 2014

TysonB.Dec 3, 2005
Went from Great (Blade) to good (Blade II) to "I've been Goyerized". Goyer = Great writer, bad director. Movie seemed fake, forced situations and the unlikely scenarios that happened in all Blade movies were boarding on impossible to Went from Great (Blade) to good (Blade II) to "I've been Goyerized". Goyer = Great writer, bad director. Movie seemed fake, forced situations and the unlikely scenarios that happened in all Blade movies were boarding on impossible to buy into for this movie. Dang. I love Blade, my favorite triology for some reason, but this makes me very uneasy about the 4th one (hopefully there is one). Goyer, Please go back to writing. You are brilliant writer, let somone else direct. Expand
DarthMoonJohnNov 13, 2005
This was just a disapointment in every way,the concept of blade against dracula was great but the script sucked,the action sucked the story sucked, worst blade of the trilogy.
evilDNov 21, 2005
Let's face it: these are not, nor are they intended to be cinematic masterpieces. These are just mindless summer action flicks intended for a few hour's entertainment and then forgotten. With THAT in mind, in my opinion this is one Let's face it: these are not, nor are they intended to be cinematic masterpieces. These are just mindless summer action flicks intended for a few hour's entertainment and then forgotten. With THAT in mind, in my opinion this is one series that actually IMPROVES with each sequel. Really, they're just re-making the same movie over and over, but they distill the plot down to its basics and focus on the action more and more each time. The first movie was, frankly, a shadow of what the series has become. The first movie was just to establish a universe for the other movies to exist in. The second movie jumped right into the action, discarding any attempt at character development in exchange for more violence. And THIS movie is just a further distillation of the formula used in the Blade II. All three films are extremely cheesy, with badly written dialogue and all, but bear in mind we're talking about a flick based on a COMIC BOOK, and not a particularly popular one at that. So considering all of the above, this was a very entertaining movie. I thoroughly enjoyed this hour and a half of pure pulp, because I had ABSOLUTELY NO EXPECTATIONS for it. I learned very early in life that disappointment is ALWAYS preceded by expectation, so I expect nothing from anything, rendering me essentially incapable of disappointment. And so this was a pleasant surprise, if not at all worth a purchase, even from the bargain bin, but a good weekend rental nontheless. Collapse
ZiftKNov 4, 2006
The first one, I liked. The second one.... decent, this one, TRASH. Unless, you're a VERY big blade fan, and have the DVD's, and the games, then watch this, if not, stay away, you're much better without it.
matroycemApr 29, 2013
If you enjoyed the first two Blades then please do not spoil it watching this. It is so much a cash in on the series it just spoils the early work. Its a shame as there is a Blade movie in here but its just so terribly packaged. HavingIf you enjoyed the first two Blades then please do not spoil it watching this. It is so much a cash in on the series it just spoils the early work. Its a shame as there is a Blade movie in here but its just so terribly packaged. Having watched Ryan Reynolds in several other films since this HE CAN ACT and CAN PUT IN A PERFORMANCE. In Blade they just have him as Van Wilder. Trying endlessly to make a funny one liner which really does not go with the film. The supporting cast in general are poor and really do not add to the story line.
The action is very much the same as the other films but I just could not see past the weak plot and really terrible writing of the plot. Terrible end to what could have been a decent trilogy.
Stop here before you kill of the series completely
Dimitris01Nov 11, 2013
Snypes is good as always (both his performance as Blade and his fighting moves stand out) but the secondary characters are annoying and make all the scenes less entertaining. Moreover, the vampires still act like idiots.
argonautis.eu
marcmyworksDec 2, 2013
Blade Trinity is pretty bad. I never understood why most of the characters die within minutes of being given a back story, or why half the action sequences take place during the day or why Dracula supposedly is the strongest vampire on earthBlade Trinity is pretty bad. I never understood why most of the characters die within minutes of being given a back story, or why half the action sequences take place during the day or why Dracula supposedly is the strongest vampire on earth after Blade has fought both the original vampires, mutant vampires and vampire gods. Expand
Meth-dudeMar 13, 2016
The action sequences were well made,the acting wasn't bad at all and the cinematography was really good at times.But, unfortunately, the new characters were boring and uninteresting,there was some plot holes here, the movie was rushed to theThe action sequences were well made,the acting wasn't bad at all and the cinematography was really good at times.But, unfortunately, the new characters were boring and uninteresting,there was some plot holes here, the movie was rushed to the conclusion and it was not as entertaining/violent/bloody as the other Blade movies. Expand
Castiel_AngelSep 22, 2016
This blade movie is just terrible. It is completely spitting in the face of the other two blade movies. It is a total disgrace. I thought it was gonna be awesome but I was freaking ticked that I wasted my time and money on it. They took aThis blade movie is just terrible. It is completely spitting in the face of the other two blade movies. It is a total disgrace. I thought it was gonna be awesome but I was freaking ticked that I wasted my time and money on it. They took a great series and completely sabotaged it with this crappy installment. Expand
MinecraftFFeb 12, 2017
Third part of the series - and in my opinion, the weakest. Not that the movie is bad, really, but it lacks a lot, repeating the earlier two parts and failing to make you laugh. The jokes are just too weak, and done for the sake of doing them.Third part of the series - and in my opinion, the weakest. Not that the movie is bad, really, but it lacks a lot, repeating the earlier two parts and failing to make you laugh. The jokes are just too weak, and done for the sake of doing them. The style is relaxed - even too much so. The character of Hannibal King is a complete joke, Abigail Whistler has no real depth, and Blade is a shadow of himself. Only one who is given a chance to be something is Drake, but given the general structure of the movie, that really doesn't traslate too well. Altogether, the characters are just thrown in, and whenever something is explained, it is done like tutoring an ignorant child; like a lesson. There are more than a few slashy remarks, but they seem almost forced and underlined while repeated, losing their effect completely and becoming almost annoying. Expand