7.6

Jun 19, 2003
    I can't help but feel that this movie is a reflection of the process of making this movie, and that the positive reviews above stem from the reviewers guilt over their own temptations to use their positions of power to sexual advantage, just as the teacher does in the movie. Meg starts out weepy with a poem about how her dad betrayed her by leaving her and her mother and sister, and I can't help but feel that this movie is a reflection of the process of making this movie, and that the positive reviews above stem from the reviewers guilt over their own temptations to use their positions of power to sexual advantage, just as the teacher does in the movie. Meg starts out weepy with a poem about how her dad betrayed her by leaving her and her mother and sister, and stays weepy through a series of other betrayals and abandonments, until finally she gets really weepy about a really big one. I was ready to walk out after 15 minutes, but my companion wanted to stay in hopes it would get better, or at least go somewhere. It didn't. Expand

Captures the complex dynamic of a mentoring relationship like few movies before it.
  2. Ms. Moncrieff's low-key directing is matched by fine acting from Agnes Bruckner as Meg and David Strathairn as her mentor. Aside from a somewhat schematic climax, this is as smart a debut as we've seen in a long while.
  3. This is a film without a single false note. From the rain-streaked windshield to the unaffected line readings from a stellar cast, there is not a shot in Blue Car that doesn't ring true.