8.8

1. JayeeshaD.
    Jan 1, 2005
    One of the most moving films I have ever seen, and yes, it is a documentary.
  2. WinstonS.
    Jan 30, 2005
    Have you ever seen a photo essay in National Geographic and thought I wonder whatever became of the kids in the picture? The documentarians of Born Into Brothels does one better. Rather than take pictures and leave, children born into Calcutta's red-light district are given cameras, are taught to use them, and trained to become skillful photographers. Then, the kids' photographs Have you ever seen a photo essay in National Geographic and thought I wonder whatever became of the kids in the picture? The documentarians of Born Into Brothels does one better. Rather than take pictures and leave, children born into Calcutta's red-light district are given cameras, are taught to use them, and trained to become skillful photographers. Then, the kids' photographs are used to raise awareness and funds so that they can go to boarding schools and escape an otherwise harrowing destiny. This movie, a slim 85 minutes, captures the entire journey. Utterly Amazing. Expand
  3. JenniferM.
    Mar 21, 2005
    I saw this movie with my psychology class. it is one of those movies that move you. i cried. it helped me relize that i take things for granted.
  4. Dee
    Mar 14, 2006
    Its one of the best documentaries that not only touch your heart, but lite you up to bring your potential to something for the people. Its an eye-opener, I had never thought about those kids before! Now I am ready to adopt one of them.
  5. JoeP.
    Jan 26, 2005
    The most uplifting yet serious examination of the human spirit. A must-see. the kids are terrific, the visuals are compelling.
  6. LeeW.
    Jan 29, 2005
    Though the title may not convey it, this was without question the single most uplifting film I saw all year. Tragic, yet ultimately life-affirming. These children---who are ignored and used by their families and shunned by Indian authorities as beneath "untouchable"---manage to maintain their optimism, spirit and humanity. The filmmakers didn't just shoot this picture, they lived it. Though the title may not convey it, this was without question the single most uplifting film I saw all year. Tragic, yet ultimately life-affirming. These children---who are ignored and used by their families and shunned by Indian authorities as beneath "untouchable"---manage to maintain their optimism, spirit and humanity. The filmmakers didn't just shoot this picture, they lived it. And it shows. Well shot (mostly with hand held cameras) in a fascinating locale. Great music too. Can't recommend more highly. Forget the depressing title and see this film. Better still, contribute to helping these kids at kids-with-cameras.org Expand
  7. AnaA.
    Feb 17, 2005
    It was a moving movie that helped me realize and appreciate everything I have. It also shows the horrible things that go on around the world that sometimes we cannot do anything about.
  8. GalaB.
    Mar 6, 2005
    This is one of the most beautiful, moving, and inspirational films I have ever seen. It attests to the creative force of the human being. I'm telling everyone to see it!
  9. PaulF.
    Sep 6, 2005
    Great documentary, a little slow though with an aburt ending. The children were magnificent, playful and full of life. My favorite scene is of them dancing on the bus shot with grainy film. The tales were harrowing to say the least. The issue of their mothers being Prostitutes was not what bothered me but it was the poverty, drug addiction, forced labor, child prostitution, slavery, Great documentary, a little slow though with an aburt ending. The children were magnificent, playful and full of life. My favorite scene is of them dancing on the bus shot with grainy film. The tales were harrowing to say the least. The issue of their mothers being Prostitutes was not what bothered me but it was the poverty, drug addiction, forced labor, child prostitution, slavery, pimping & murder (which the law turned a blind eye to) that bothered me. The caste system seems still to be in effect. But on a up note it was nice to see someone spend so much effort to try to help these kids out of an utterly desperate situation. And in the end some of them did seem like they really had a chance for a better life. Expand
  10. FrankO.
    Jan 9, 2006
    Well constructed, did not want to care about this subject but director pulled me in through introduction of kids.
  11. JudiR.
    Mar 23, 2005
    This movie really moved me, Zana Briski was so inspiring. I give her so much credit for what she di. What is she doing know I wounder?
  12. toms.
    Dec 21, 2005
    Moving and extraordinary.
  13. NelsonD
    Aug 14, 2005
    A fascinating film, but I couldn't shake the sense that these people spent all this time to make a movie that would portray themselves as saints, and engender exactly the kind of reactions you read here. Are Briski's efforts, which ultimately have mixed results at best, truly selfless and noble if they are trumpeted in this manner?
  14. timm
    Apr 21, 2005
    It was alright. very pretentious and repetetive. i saw a doc on pbs the week before i went to this movie of similar content, yet the tv movie was much more interesting, well-constructed, and moving.

1. Reviewed by: Richard M. Porton
    The children are not exactly reporters -- they bring back no shattering images of sexual servitude -- but their photography, like much children's art, is fresh and sometimes startling.
  2. Reviewed by: Brad Slager
    The brightest facet of the movie is that even as they face oppressive conditions they still persist with joy.
  3. Reviewed by: James Greenberg
    This is a work of art so deep and resonant that it puts most narrative films to shame.