7.8

1. Oct 18, 2013
    Love Wes Anderson, but this didn't do much for me. Of course, the directing was excellent and the acting was ok, but the story just never really "grabbed me" at all. Now, it isn't a trainwreck by any means, but it's also anything but a good movie. Feels unfinished and lacking in key plot elements that, oh I don't know, make it interesting.
  2. Aug 5, 2013
    BOTTLE ROCKET was a critical success when it was released in 1996 and launched the careers of a creative team that know comedy can be talky, subtle, character driven, and even heartbreaking at times. It's not the best Anderson-Wilson endeavor, but as the first it establishes central elements visible in all their films.
  3. May 21, 2013
    Throughout Anderson's directorial debut, "Bottle Rocket," you can definitely sense him trying to come into his proverbial own, but it is still an outrageous and occasionally deep comedic drama.
  4. Jul 9, 2012
    Bottle Rocket is Wes Anderson
  5. Jul 8, 2012
    Bottle Rocket is Wes Anderson's first and weakest offering. The film isn't anywhere near bad, it's just that Anderson's skills as a director are only budding here instead of blooming (as they would be on the following Rushmore). Likewise, the writing is likable and features the same lightness of touch as the later films but isn't in the same league as The Royal Tenenbaums. Still, if you are a big Wes Anderson fan, Bottle Rocket makes for intriguing viewing. Expand
  6. Oct 8, 2011
    The movie's cinematography is impressive as well as the performance of the actors if you realize this was a student movie. But Wes Anderson's "Bottle Rocket" doesn't really have any twists or thrills in its plot; you'll be watching a 91 minute movie will interest, but no more than that level.
  7. Sep 9, 2011
    The usual fare from Wes Anderson. This one has the same tone, the same themes as all his later films. Which is not neccessarily a bad thing. There are some good jokes here, and pretty high production values for an 'indie'. The film that started the Wilson brother's careers (Owen and Luke) and they do well in this. worth a look, especially for Wes Anderson fans
  8. Sep 28, 2010

First off I'll just confess my love for Wes Anderson, I love him! I know he gets some critism but I just really like his style of movies and have seen every one of his movies (aside from Fantastic Mr. Fox which is in my list). Now I had a weird reaction to this movie. While I still really liked it I like some of Anderson's other
    movies way better (and some worse but that's besides the point). However, I laughed the most at this one. It started out semi slow and I thought I'd actually hate one of Wes Anderson's flicks but which all the crazy heists in the beginning and the end and the surprise (to me) romance element, I was hooked till the end and was left very satisfied. But since it's a tad slow at the beginning (and parts in the middle), I ended up giving it a 3.5 out of 5. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Kenneth Turan
    Mar 4, 2014
    Though Bottle Rocket is wryly amusing from beginning to end, the hard edges of the real world are never too far from its surface. And it is the particular grace of the film that though all its characters end up with something like what they're looking for, its not exactly how they'd imagined it would be.
  2. Reviewed by: Matt Noller
    Mar 4, 2014
    Anderson has a great deal of empathy for his charming band of fuck-ups, but the characters are thinly drawn, and Anderson's attempts to lend the story emotional weight, like giving Anthony a ludicrously one-dimensional love interest in South American housekeeper Inez (Lumi Cavazos), largely fall flat.
  3. Reviewed by: Stephen Hunter
    Mar 4, 2014
    Bottle Rocket's off-handed, anti-professional humor is extremely amusing and its ability to evoke the bittersweet pangs of love and friendship very poignant.