Fox Searchlight Pictures | Release Date: October 8, 1999
7.5
Generally favorable reviews based on 82 Ratings
Watch Now
barnet42Oct 14, 2012
This movie it was ok what i don't like in this movie is the brutal rape scene , but i don't like the Director ,Kimberly Peirce is Crazy who had the stupid idea of this call ,this is not funny there is a lot of Children Abuse in the worldThis movie it was ok what i don't like in this movie is the brutal rape scene , but i don't like the Director ,Kimberly Peirce is Crazy who had the stupid idea of this call ,this is not funny there is a lot of Children Abuse in the world ,Kimberly Peirce the only thing she want is money for this crazy call , when ONG listen this call they want be happy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPTHdG-Db_E&feature=plcp Expand
DollisDec 30, 2012
Bad movie the story is very awful i found this film weak with no plot , only thing i like in this movie is the soundtrack , And i don't like Kimberly Peirce movies.
AnL.Apr 6, 2007
This movie is like a dark coffee candy. It is so bitter and yet for moments we can feel the tenderness, the compassion and love exude from the movie. There are some painful scenes to endure but those are what make the movie linger in our This movie is like a dark coffee candy. It is so bitter and yet for moments we can feel the tenderness, the compassion and love exude from the movie. There are some painful scenes to endure but those are what make the movie linger in our heart long after the credits rolls. This movie is a raw, naked beauty. Expand
snoopyw.Nov 14, 2005
Un tres beau film a voir absolument !!
DeneL.Aug 8, 2007
This movie is truly amazing, sad, and a true tear-jerker. It was well made and even though it didn't stay true to the real Teena Brandon, Swank acting was great.
LOmarGJul 3, 2013
This movie is no joke. It's fierce, provocative, and tragic. I don't know if the observation that Swank and Sevigny both resemble the opposite sex is a flaw or a benefit to the story, but everything else is suspenseful and worthy of conversation.
RogerAug 7, 2013
Boys Don't Cry (which was release on October 8, 1999) has an heartbreaking true life story about Brandon Teena, who is a transgender-man (female-to-male non-operative transgender man).

The picture explores the themes of freedom, courage,

The picture explores the themes of freedom, courage, identity and empowerment. The film was directed and written by an (previously) unknown female film director Kimberley Price. The movie title was actually named after a song of the same name by an English rock band called The Cure. It's a of those films involving a same-sex relationship just like Brokeback Mountain (2005).

Hilary Swank is a "down-to-earth" movie actress who portrayed the role as Brandon Teena. Here's an interesting fact about her role: To prepare for the role, she lived her life as a man for about a month, including wrapping her chest in tension bandages and putting socks down the front of her pants much the same way that Brandon Teena did. I believe this is the main reason why her portrayal was so outstanding. Boys Don't Cry was the film that made Hilary Swank into Hollywood stardom.Her performance in this film earned her her first Oscar for best actress. She deserved it.

This is a true story about Brandon Teena and it takes place in 1993. He is the popular new dude in the small Nebraska town of Falls City. He hangs out with the guys, drinking, cussing, and bumper surfing, and he charms the young women, who've never met a more sensitive and considerate young man. He even loves hanging out in gas stations and roller rinks. Life is pretty good for Brandon now that he's one of the guys.

He also develops a relationship with a blonde beauty named Lana Tisdel (played by Chloe Sevigny). However, he doesn't mention to his friends and girlfriend that he is actually a trans man. Later in the film, his friends discover that Brandon is actually a woman. He is brutally raped and beaten by two of his friends (which of course actually happened and it doesn't count as a spoiler if anybody has heard about Brandon Teena's story). Her life, as shown in the movie, became tormented (If you are wondering about the torment, you all have to watch the full movie for yourselves).

There is a scene in the film that employs a great cinematography structure technique inspired by a scene from Victor Fleming's" The Wizard of OZ (1939)". In the Oz film, the cinematography structure technique is in the scene where Dorothy exits her house and steps into Munchkin land.

In Boys Don't Cry, the technique is reflected in the scene in which the audience see Brandon Teena enter a roller rink and the song "Just the Way That I Needed" by The Cars is playing. After a shot of the character, he then seen walking through the door. The viewer sees the door opening; the character goes through, the door, and the viewer go through the door. The way that they used this cinematography technique is really fascinating due to the cinematic inspiration.

The first time I watched this movie, I was so impressed by the powerful acting of the characters. The skills of the main cast playing really make the movie. Any great film based on a true story should always hire actors and actresses with great acting talent and skills. If an actor or actress doesn't have the necessary skills, the role could turn out badly just like Faye Dunaway's (even though I still think she is an amazing actress) role as Joan Crawford in "Mommy Dearest (1981)".

Boys Don't Cry is undoubtedly eighth best film of 1999 on my list of top ten best films of 1999. The story in the film was specifically and wonderfully written by Kimberly Price. The film depicts very well a true life story, just like several other true life depictions in: "Malcolm X", "Ray", "Alive","Lincoln", and "Raging Bull".

"I highly recommend this movie for people, who like movies such as Brokeback Mountain and especially films that are based on true stories"." I give this film a 4 out of 4 spectacular stars!"
BonesMay 25, 2011
The film's greatest highlights are probably the acting performances. The performances by Hilary Swank & Chloe are unforgettable and terrific. although the movie looks horribly cheap, it has a well-written script and set to be one of the bestThe film's greatest highlights are probably the acting performances. The performances by Hilary Swank & Chloe are unforgettable and terrific. although the movie looks horribly cheap, it has a well-written script and set to be one of the best movies of 1999. Expand
Compi24Oct 20, 2013
It may be extremely hard to watch at times, but that's the point of Kimberly Peirce's intricately crafted "Boys Don't Cry," a film carried by a heartbreaking turn from Hillary Swank and some indelible thematic work.
emeraldcitySep 6, 2014
I missed part of this film but what I saw of it I thought was unbearably pretentious filmmaking which is not to say I think that gals who would rather live as guys are all full of sh**. I watch a lot of movies and as a result I have seenI missed part of this film but what I saw of it I thought was unbearably pretentious filmmaking which is not to say I think that gals who would rather live as guys are all full of sh**. I watch a lot of movies and as a result I have seen quite a few documentaries on the subject going in both directions. I think that filmmakers skirt over the top of this type of thing and misidentify overacting with strong content. Life's a whole lot of things and I suppose it doesn't lend itself well to being encapsulated in a 90 minutes frame with any degree of depth. The documentaries I've seen are very anecdotal-which is unavoidable-but they leave me feeling like the people who made them had a neutral opinion rather than being pro or con. This film is definitely pro but it also shows the persons life to e a mire of emotional turmoil which is frustrating to deal with as a viewer. Like I said, I missed part of it...how much of the film is valid emotional struggle and how much is self indulgent submersion in emotional trenches the same way a drug user submerses themselves in the world of their drug is not a question this film asks. It left me wanting to watch a cops & robbers film. Expand
markwhelanSep 17, 2014
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Hilary Swank's Academy Award winning performance as Brandon Teena is, of course, brave and gender-bending role. A review elsewhere incorrectly refers to Brandon Teena as a trans man.

Based on Brandon Teena's relationship with Lana Tisdel, it is also incorrectly billed as a romance. It is nothing of the sort.

This true story of the anatomically born (young) woman who is brutally raped and murdered after her identity is revealed.

The story foregrounds the struggle of a psychologically tortured woman’s unsuccessful efforts to have that life-changing operation to bring her peace in both body and spirit. She is severely limited and tested by her economically poor background. The story highlights the disgusting violence perpetrated by men filled with equal doses of ignorance and hatred.
allamiaanimaFeb 5, 2016
Excuse, machine translation.

Excuse, machine translation.

What is known, today, in light of all the "Huge" scientific achievements, of sex, of "normal sex" and all the countless variables? And the terminologies? I'm not sure to be underestimated! Indeed, they are precisely the ones you qualify, identify, encapsulate, they give you the beautiful "brand" that then the "good society" is' just after a careful and aesthetically persuasive disclosure. The consequence of the "mark" is, labeling. You are, that is, that one does', you know that this other is a / an ... and all the rest and the rest.

The value of "Boys Do not Cry" is to avoid any labeling. So I understand. Teena / Brandon is not a "scientific case." Absolutely. He 'girl, beautiful, noble sentiments, that goes' over his own body and that in and of the other body, wants to know the essence and then caress the soul.
Boys Do not Cry is a poetic drama. Brandon Hilary Swank / to live by herself runs many dangers and in his wanderings from place to place, comes to know and fall in love with a girl named Lana Tisdel Chloe Sevigny /
Lana, Brandon becomes, little by little a very special person. One of those guys who all, once in their life, they would like to meet and with whom think of a serious plan of life; perhaps far, it is far from that lonely and cursed place. Meet John Peter Sarsgaard / and then Tom Brendan Sexton I I I / two boys to say is perhaps a little violent.

What would be the performance of Hilary Swank and then the whole story without the wonderful presence of Lana? Lana understands who is really Brandon or maybe does not want to know? Kimberly Peirce Director and co-screenwriter with Andy Bienen / shaped characters and has plunged them into a story that I recommend to know. A true story, a true story like many others that the film offers but with time and space enthusiasts and exciting; with music that give light to engaging images leaving a trail of questions. Two above all: - Who are the free spirits? How much it costs, be?

To you,