Columbia Pictures | Release Date: July 12, 1991
8.8
Universal acclaim based on 105 Ratings
Watch Now
ShaneJan 10, 2006
This movie shows a good way of how life is in the hood! Good actors.
SusanC.Sep 9, 2005
Very realistic to what goes on in other areas of real peoples lives that people take for grated and do not believe things like this really existent. "but it does" Very positive message!!!! Great film!!!
EdR.Jul 7, 2006
A great movie. One question though: is South Central LA still like this? I remember in Michael Moore's film "Bowling for Columbine" how he and another white man (a professor I think) basically pour scorn on the idea that Compton is some A great movie. One question though: is South Central LA still like this? I remember in Michael Moore's film "Bowling for Columbine" how he and another white man (a professor I think) basically pour scorn on the idea that Compton is some kind of war zone. I wonder what a modern day African American kid would say? Expand
ohsnapkidNov 7, 2010
Devastatingly realistic, but handled deftly. The characters aren't just devices used to propel some preachy, self-righteous message: they elicit true emotions in the viewer and provide faces to what a lot of people had ignored.
geedupMay 7, 2013
Great film. A story which anyone (any race) can ID with. Wanting the best for your child, teaching the best you can while staying away from straying influences. Then flash forward to see the differences in the "finished product." AlthoughGreat film. A story which anyone (any race) can ID with. Wanting the best for your child, teaching the best you can while staying away from straying influences. Then flash forward to see the differences in the "finished product." Although watching the film now, it seems a little outdated. The only negative about this film is that the director (who has not really put anything together worth mentioning since this film) acts like he changed the world with this film. Expand
SpangleJun 5, 2013
Great acting with great directing helped produce this realistic depiction of life in the hood. It certainly has its flaws and is far from perfect (for example, the beginning is pretty slow), but regardless, it is definitely a movie thatGreat acting with great directing helped produce this realistic depiction of life in the hood. It certainly has its flaws and is far from perfect (for example, the beginning is pretty slow), but regardless, it is definitely a movie that people need to see if they haven't already. Expand
DC4CardsJun 20, 2013
Classic movie by John Singleton. Urban story of just that...Boyz Growing up in the Hood. Good kids mixed with bad kids, going through high school life with temptations outside. Wonderful film
kublay0880Dec 20, 2012
This is a very good representation of the hood, these actors must know a thing or two about it because they gave us an excellent performance, very good script, and location. It has its flaws but it delivers a decent movie but it's definitelyThis is a very good representation of the hood, these actors must know a thing or two about it because they gave us an excellent performance, very good script, and location. It has its flaws but it delivers a decent movie but it's definitely not a 10, maybe a 7.5 - 8. Expand
python2000Feb 14, 2014
A very funny but also very heartfelt and true inside look at the black culture of America in the early 90's. Brilliant performances, especially from Laurence Fishburne, and a gripping plot make Boyz In The Hood hugely enjoyable and one of theA very funny but also very heartfelt and true inside look at the black culture of America in the early 90's. Brilliant performances, especially from Laurence Fishburne, and a gripping plot make Boyz In The Hood hugely enjoyable and one of the most realistic comedies ever. Expand
LovejoyMay 14, 2013
''passionatte heartfelt''

''passionatte heartfelt''

''this is a tue classic movie on what life was like growin up in the ghetto's of south centra LA i love this movie dearly its a film of violence drugs and trying to increase the peace this is probably the only good movie ice cube has made next to barbershop 1.2 the cast is great the drama is perfect and the hole movie basically sais to us all lets all have just a little peace fer once and take a day off from evil''
kevinswag95Jul 1, 2014
Boyz n the Hood shows how African Americans to survive in the streets before any of the urban gangster films starting using the cliches of the streets. It is one of the best gangster films of all time.
TheDude-Oct 7, 2015
Boyz N The Hood is one of the best films of all time providing the audience with a story and characters that are easy to relate to all of the characters in the movie have fantastic chemistry its very much felt like they all have known eachBoyz N The Hood is one of the best films of all time providing the audience with a story and characters that are easy to relate to all of the characters in the movie have fantastic chemistry its very much felt like they all have known each other for a long time.
Cameronius_113Jan 15, 2017
Boyz n the Hood was released in 1991 and was directed by John Singleton. The movie is about three young men, Tre, Doughboy and Ricky who are trying to cope with the dangerous society that they live in and find a way to overcome it.
One thing
One thing I loved about this film was how honest it was. It wasn't afraid to display the reality of situations which were indeed happening in real life. I think a reason it was so realistic was the fact that much of it was based off the director's own life. Speaking of the director, this was his debut film and to say this was his first he did a great job. He was also the youngest person ever to be nominated for an Academy Award at the time too.
All of the cast gave great peformances, the one who surprised me the most was Ice Cube. If you knew that Ice Cube was in the movie and your reaction was "That isn't going to work any day", then I take it you've only seen the Ride Along movies. I was surprised by how sincere his character and acting was and I think the conflicts he had to face with the N.W.A and the police in the past added to his character as his character is someone who has had many run-ins with the police in the past. Another peformance I was surprised by was Laurence Fisburne as the main character Tre's (Cuba Gooding Jr.) father. He displayed the qualities of a good father and someone who managed to connect with the character of Tre in multiple situations. It's probably my personal favourite peformance of his that I've seen.
Like I mentioned earlier, this movie wasn't afraid to display the truth and it did it well, with many emotionally intense scenes and also many surprisingly relatable ones too. It displayed perfectly the difficulty of life for everyone living there and you felt for their characters. It also provides a good message of the right way to fight back against all of these bad things.
I believe that the themes of this movie will likely stay relevant for quite a while and they can be applicable to just about anyone too and this is the reason why I think that this movie will remain important for many years to come. No wonder it's apart of the Sony Classics Collection.
Overall, this was a much deeper film than I expected to see that wasn't afraid to show the realism of situations that were also going on in the real world and carried across a good and moving message. I would highly recommend this film.
8.2/10
PresidentTrumpAug 10, 2017
A great movie with an impactful story. Amazing acting. Wonderful writing. Beautiful story telling. One of the greatest gangster films of all time. A must watch.
machetethrillsMay 24, 2017
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Great film! The guy who dies has a sexy wife, wooooah she's hot. Trey is a **** for not taking revenge with ice cube, where was dr dre though? 9/10 shots Expand