7.2

1. Jun 22, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This does not stand up to Pixar's other work. It's sloppy and poorly executed, in short. It's overstuffed with plot threads and conflict but fails to find resolution for any or find a reasonable way to tie them together. It ended up being thematically contradictory. And maybe worst of all, it ended up being way more boring than it needed to be; the plot was so totally without ambition or surprise, it lacked interest as well. Let's talk specifics.

Who was the main villain? Was it the twisted witch who created the spell that turned the queen into a bear? I guess not, because she disappeared in the middle of the movie. Was it the other clan heads? I don't think so, since they all joined together with the protagonists in the end--after we were told (and never, ever shown) that they had actually been best friends the whole time. So I guess it was the big evil bear who serves as the final boss then, huh?

What was up with that bear anyway? Okay, so he used to be a prince but he tried to change his fate and was inadvertently punished by becoming a bear. So he's like a symbol of how we shouldn't try to change our fate, I guess? And then he attacks the clansmen because of his lingering, ill-advised drive to overtake them and become supreme ruler, right? Well, no, because after he's killed we see his spirit, and his spirit is apparently relieved and thankful that he was freed from the bear. And if the queen is any example, he had long since been acting totally under bear impulses the whole time. So the main villain was basically a wild bear and only ever enters the film because he just happened to be around, we guess? And then we had to kill him? Was anything in the film resolved with his death, besides just one less bear in the forest?

How DID they kill him? Did the main character get to use her archery skills which were pretty heavily established by the first act, and every trailer and poster and promotional artwork for the film? Nope! Did the father finally have his revenge on the evil bear, which is pretty much all he ever talked about doing? Nope! Oh, maybe the clansmen all joined together and showed their renewed unity by defeating the legendary bear monster! Nope, that wasn't it. The mother and daughter join forces kinda but are pretty useless against the final boss, and instead they end up killing him by pushing a stonehedge rock on him. Which is pretty confusing, thematically, since the stonehedge rocks _also_ represented changing of fate in some weird way. And then the traitorous prince spirit gets relief, so... what are we even saying here? That he deserved to go free? Seriously, what point is being made here? Is changing your destiny good or bad?

And hey for that matter why does the heroine always talk about "changing her fate" like that's a real, concrete thing that people can just do? So much of this destiny-speak just honestly comes off sounding like gibberish. And also also what the HECK was up the unbearably cheesy montages over unbearably cheesy female vocals? Where you hear a musical number about reaching for the stars while the daughter rides around on her horse with her hair rushing in the breeze? It's just silly.

There's just so much wrong and so little time to illuminate all of it. Somebody needed to spend more time thinking about this and tightening the script.
  2. Sep 7, 2012
    BRAVE is nothing short of an EPIC FAIL.
    BRAVE is nothing short of an EPIC FAIL.
    I gotta give it to Pixar: even when they screw up, they do it big time. There is no saving this movie, and I have a hard time understanding all the good comments when it's so evident it misses all but the most important spots. Though visually impressive, I've hated it in a way I never expected, even more so because I've loved most of the previous Pixar movies, and respected those I didn't. Why? Because time and again, Pixar has always managed to impress me not just with its technical excellency, but most of all with the profound originality of its plots, the charisma of its characters and the beautifully detailed and rich atmosphere of its movies. There is nothing of that here! The characters are completely flat, unbelievable cliches, and Merida itself is the worst of them all, I've stopped tolerating her after like 5 minutes. The movie, more or less, manages to hold itself together in the first part, but it literally commits suicide in the first ten minutes of the second part and from that moment it's a long and painful downfall to the worst Disney story templates. When the script should capitalize on dramatic moments, it trips over itself with several sequences of bad comedy which, other than not funny, are downright irritating. The villain is virtually non-existent and the whole point of the story resolves in a pesky, predictable mother-daughter relationship renewal. The movie also suffers a lot from the celtic atmosphere remaining largely unexploited. Long story short: weak story, nonexistent characters and predictable outcome made this movie a miserable product way under the expectations. It could have been a great movie if only it had been developed more seriously.
  3. Jun 25, 2012
    I went into this really excited to see a fantastic movie from Pixar. What I got was a very shallow story filled with an agenda to promote but thankfully executed terribly.

From what I've read from other reviewers are some really weird positive feedback like this movie isn't like the typical fairy tale story, but I completely disagree. The whole style of the movie is a complete rip off of How to Train your Dragon, then there's a witch that does evil & a girl that is a carbon copy of Ariel from the little Mermaid. (She also has the same red hair but instead it's curly) The worst part about this movie is it's trying to promote singleness which is ok if somebody wants to be single, but it raises the question as to why they want to promote this agenda. It made for a dull movie in the end, there's nothing happy about it. The family model was a very troubled one, & the girl was a medium at best. This is one of those movies that sums itself up well in the trailer. There's really nothing more to the movie except some bears, mixed feminism(which was really strange) perhaps the writer got broken up with or beaten by their father. It had no premise. Ultimately I believe the writer was very simple minded, liked slap stick humor & would choose themselves over sacrifice any chance they got.
  4. Jun 23, 2012
    This review contains spoilers. Pixar what were you thinking? Great movie for adults and older teens good story plot ok graphics. I figured some adult type jokes for the rating of PG. Had I KNOWN BEFORE about the 20 ish drunk Scottish clan running across the screen in complete view of their naked cartoon rears on the big screen in 3d I would have never taken my kids to see your movie!! Naked is naked even if it's cartoon naked! Mark your movies correctly with Some NUDITY!! Not a mind reader here! Collapse
  5. Jul 8, 2012
    I've been dreading writing this down. Specially when it comes to Pixar. I have loved every single one of their movies. Even Cars. Not that it was their strongest suit. But everywhere else, I always walked out of the movie theater being thankful this company came together. It's one of those you know extra care goes in to make things abnormally special.
    Not with this one. I can't put my
    Not with this one. I can't put my finger on it. The trailer was amazing. I knew I had to see this thing. I had my enormous popcorn and even larger soda. All was going according to plan. And then a bear showed up... Yes. A bear... interestingly enough the people I went to see this with loved the bear thing. I just couldn't wrap myself around it. What the heck does someone turning into bear have to do with being brave in life. Ok, so the girl needs to be less selfish and follow her mother's dictate. As most children should. I'm with you there. But in the story they seem to promote that when you go out of your way to change your future against the establishment things turn out for the worst. I gotta say, I'm not down with that. If anything, the girl was selfish for involving her mother in her own rebellious attitude, that about the only message I see here... But, a bear?
    I did feel a couple of emotional moments. These guys know how to get you. They've done it enough times. And there is no doubt that the graphics get better and better. Take a close look at that girl's red hair. I can't imagine animating and rendering that thing.
    Truth be told, I am yet to come across anyone that felt the movie was below par. Everyone is recommending it, and, actually, so do I. Go see it. You won't be disappointed... I will say, though, this is no Wally. Now, that one, is more like what I expect of Pixar.
  6. May 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I give this a 0 because to many people give this a 10. I would say this movie deserves like a 6 or less.
    First of all even if its a kids movie it should still should have quality.
    They re used so many graphical scenes... the plot was amazingly thin and generic.

Okay so the plot...
    Princess forced to marry, she does not want to get married... shocker....
    she has a hissy fit and runs off and finds a witch with a potion to solve the problem... shocker...
    Potion has negative side effects... Oh didn't see that one coming......
    turns into a bear... wtf?
    bear fights...
    princess at ends has no interest in anyone and has some horrible speech about independence.
    the end.
  7. Jul 13, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. There is an agenda to this movie that I would keep in mind if you decide to attend this movie and If you want to promote it than spend your money on it. the agenda is one of self centered behavior being acceptable and what ever you want to do to promote your own behavior, what ever that is including disrespect of others it is O K. The "heroine" is one of the most rebellious and self centered animated individuals I have ever had the pleasure of watching. In this "Its all about me" styled of movie this agenda most probably fits in, on the other hand if you wish to keep your kids from believing that is is all about them and their disrespect of your authority as a parent is O K t as well as the disrespect of others it is not a movie for your family. The tradition of mate selection represented in this movie is obviously out dated but the rebellious spirit this movie represents is not. . I do not very often think poorly of Pixar movies but this one of them. I must say the animation is well done, it is to bad the story line and the general theme is not. I thought is would be something different than what is was. Expand
  8. Jun 30, 2012
    This movie looks wonderful. Unfortunately, that is all it has going for it. Ultimately, Brave is an empty experience. The problem with it lies in the fact that it doesn't really have a point; it has no heart. It feels like they just kind of made a movie without any real thought to how to make it a story worth telling.
  9. Jan 29, 2013
    If you're not the type to be sympathetic toward people who cause harm to themselves, I cannot imagine that you will enjoy this move. Most of the characters in this movie are unbelievably stupid, but you're supposed to relate to them anyway. What are you trying to say, Pixar?! And it's not like the characters get better and have this nice character arc either. They just stay stupid, upIf you're not the type to be sympathetic toward people who cause harm to themselves, I cannot imagine that you will enjoy this move. Most of the characters in this movie are unbelievably stupid, but you're supposed to relate to them anyway. What are you trying to say, Pixar?! And it's not like the characters get better and have this nice character arc either. They just stay stupid, up to the credits. Imagine if you watched a movie where the main character was a vegetarian. She goes up to a Burger King and says, "I want something that tastes good." So then the vegetarian gets a burger at the window. But it doesn't end there! She takes a bite! Then she spits the burger out the window and gets super mad at the employee, who says she's welcome to pull back around and order mozzarella sticks or something. The vegetarian then spends the rest of the movie deciding what to eat before figuring out that she could just pull her car around and order something without meat. And then music plays and you rejoice in the fact that the girl finally made the right decision. That's what this movie is like. Expand
  10. Nov 16, 2012
    Plot wise it is hard to believe it is a pixar movie. The story is flat and boring. While, other Pixar movies such as Up, Finding Nemo, Monsters Inc., and so many others were instant classics that anyone no matter their age could enjoy, this was a 1 character story that could be explained in 10 seconds. I get what they were trying to do by having a female princess who was tough andPlot wise it is hard to believe it is a pixar movie. The story is flat and boring. While, other Pixar movies such as Up, Finding Nemo, Monsters Inc., and so many others were instant classics that anyone no matter their age could enjoy, this was a 1 character story that could be explained in 10 seconds. I get what they were trying to do by having a female princess who was tough and tomboyish but it felt like that was all the movie was and that simply isn't enough for it to be a great movie. Pixar isn't the only studio in town anymore, with rivals making masterpieces such as Rio and Bee Movie. I hope that this is only a 1 time hit and miss from Pixar because it would be a shame if this is when they start going downhill. Expand
  11. Nov 29, 2012
    Kind of a disappointment when I watched Brave. I didnt enjoy the animations, I was looking forward to high detailed computer animations. But the background trees were very genertic looking. Close ups, were done very well. The accents really annoyed me as well! They should of made the story more of a fantasy as well.
  12. Jul 5, 2012
    Unlikeable characters and shallow story telling are what make this film mediocre. It's not a bad movie, but it is not nearly as good as other Pixar films. If this and Cars 2 are a sign of things to come then I think we are in for more disappointment in the coming years. Kids will like it, but I think adults will find this film strangely negative in its depictions of men, and the womenUnlikeable characters and shallow story telling are what make this film mediocre. It's not a bad movie, but it is not nearly as good as other Pixar films. If this and Cars 2 are a sign of things to come then I think we are in for more disappointment in the coming years. Kids will like it, but I think adults will find this film strangely negative in its depictions of men, and the women characters are not much better. Also, it's damn boring. Expand
  13. Jul 10, 2012
    I was really disappointed with this film. I'm not a big movie buff but my husband and kids love spending the afternoon at the movies so I was happy to join them this time after seeing the trailers on tv. I loved the main heroine and her mother because they were beautiful and full of spunk, spirit and life, but the male characters were gross looking -- there wasn't even one who lookedI was really disappointed with this film. I'm not a big movie buff but my husband and kids love spending the afternoon at the movies so I was happy to join them this time after seeing the trailers on tv. I loved the main heroine and her mother because they were beautiful and full of spunk, spirit and life, but the male characters were gross looking -- there wasn't even one who looked Prince Charming-ish or even remotely easy on the eyes. I laughed a couple of times throughout the movie, but overall, our whole family of 5 walked out of the theater thinking we'd already seen the best parts on the trailer. I agree with another reviewers comment below: "When you are not cheering for anyone in the story, you don't care about anything that happens to them." Would not consider seeing it again or renting it. Expand
  14. Jan 3, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Superficial tripe and missed opportunity to explore the main character! Movie goes south when mom is turned into a bear! Safe non-threatening Pixar output! Expand
  15. Aug 16, 2013
    Unimpressed with this lackluster effort from pixar. It is about the similar storyline, a princess, a threat and a happy ever after. Boring, and fell asleep in parts, nothing was memorable or interesting, not pixar's best. Probably disliked this because i am a teenage boy, but you like if you are a small girl though. Not one for boys.
  16. Oct 7, 2013
    It lacks the dramatic depth of the Toy Story series, its plot is as bland as A Bug's Life and it definitely doesn't not share the same character charm as Tangled and Bolt. In saying that, it's not a terrible movie; I could probably watch it again and still enjoy its simplicity. As a Disney Animation though, it's disappointing. The story is somewhat nonsensical, Merida and her Mother'sIt lacks the dramatic depth of the Toy Story series, its plot is as bland as A Bug's Life and it definitely doesn't not share the same character charm as Tangled and Bolt. In saying that, it's not a terrible movie; I could probably watch it again and still enjoy its simplicity. As a Disney Animation though, it's disappointing. The story is somewhat nonsensical, Merida and her Mother's character are frustrating to watch and its climax flat-lines. Merida wields a bow & arrow but not once does she use it for proper situations. Her character is sparingly approached and absent of anything memorable of her. The movie felt rushed and unpolished. It could've been done so much better. Expand
  17. Mar 22, 2014
    brave is a okay animated film . to much a mother and daughter fight in an animated film sort of like peabody and sherman . but this not like it . this film is a irish jig film thats whats cool about it Grade D
  18. Mar 29, 2014
    I have no idea why this film won the Academy Award for Best Animated Feature 2012, Brave was not that great. It had a very bland story with very bland themes and it was not inspiring at all. I really don't know why Pixar made a stupid film like this. All it was was just eye candy which was good as usual for Pixar, but the story was not good. Wreck-It Ralph should have won that AcademyI have no idea why this film won the Academy Award for Best Animated Feature 2012, Brave was not that great. It had a very bland story with very bland themes and it was not inspiring at all. I really don't know why Pixar made a stupid film like this. All it was was just eye candy which was good as usual for Pixar, but the story was not good. Wreck-It Ralph should have won that Academy Award, that film was actually creative; I felt that they just gave the film that reward just because it's Pixar...that's it. Besides the Cars films, Brave is one of Pixar's biggest mistakes. I would not recommend it. Expand
  19. Oct 8, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Just NO. Uninspired. Mother turning into a bear...Come on -.-'' Teenage drama and not a good one. I just wish thy thought a little bit more abut it, it could have been some much better. It's a shame. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Ian Nathan
    Aug 12, 2012
    No less lovely than former films, in many ways lovelier, but Brave is boutique Pixar: less ambitious, more succinct, excellence at a lower ebb.
  2. Reviewed by: Ben Child
    Jun 25, 2012
    For the animation studio's debut foray into fairytale, Pixar has delivered a rousing family melodrama.
  3. Reviewed by: Stephanie Zacharek
    Jun 25, 2012
    My heart belongs to Bear Elinor, whose movements and mannerisms are a tender echo of Human Elinor's – her character is designed and drawn just that carefully.