7.3

1. Jul 6, 2012
    This is the first animation from Pixar with a female in the lead. Merida is a young Scottish princess, who would rather ride her horse and shoot arrows than do girlie stuff. When it's time for suitors, she protests, flees and causes a spell that upends her world. While the title suggests a bold, daring action film, that's not the case. This is a tale of inner bravery. While the story isThis is the first animation from Pixar with a female in the lead. Merida is a young Scottish princess, who would rather ride her horse and shoot arrows than do girlie stuff. When it's time for suitors, she protests, flees and causes a spell that upends her world. While the title suggests a bold, daring action film, that's not the case. This is a tale of inner bravery. While the story is compelling, many of the familiar Pixar elements are in short supply: enjoyable supporting characters, clever humor and dazzling visuals (Merida's hair is the star of the movie). While the audience (young and old) seemed rapt, I found there to be too much dialogue and not enough fun. NOTE: Stay thru the credits for one final punchline. Expand
  2. Jan 26, 2013
    Pixar has done it again. This movie is simply magical, and great for families. It's beautifully animated, has excellent voice acting, and a heart-warming story. I have to admit after watching Cars 2 I was a little worried that this movie might flop, but Pixar has once again struck gold.
  3. Nov 28, 2012
    It may not be as impressive as other Pixar adventures, but "Brave" still survives with its charming animation and storytelling.
  4. Mar 15, 2013
    I liked this movie, but up against other Pixar movies it falls short. The beginning of this movie is the best part, but when the twist happens and the story comes together it kind of goes down hill.
  5. Mar 22, 2014
    brave is a okay animated film . to much a mother and daughter fight in an animated film sort of like peabody and sherman . but this not like it . this film is a irish jig film thats whats cool about it Grade D
  6. Nov 4, 2012
    Unfortunately, Brave is too thinly plotted to be on the level of animated films like "Up" and "Toy Story 3". Sure, Cars 2 may not have the charm of previous pixar shows, but at least the plot knew where it was going. Brave is a risk that doesn't pay off because Merida doesn't get the narrative she deserves. Merida is a great character, but she deserves more than this.
  7. Dec 11, 2012
    Inadvertently I have watched this two Disney animations hand-in-hand (TANGLED is from the orthodox Disney branch while BRAVE is its flagship Pixar production), which seems to be a perfect paradigm to juxtapose them together and to dissect the state-of-the-art tendency of the mainstream genre (enormously profitable since its chief target are zero in on family with children, so it has aInadvertently I have watched this two Disney animations hand-in-hand (TANGLED is from the orthodox Disney branch while BRAVE is its flagship Pixar production), which seems to be a perfect paradigm to juxtapose them together and to dissect the state-of-the-art tendency of the mainstream genre (enormously profitable since its chief target are zero in on family with children, so it has a much more important and instructive obligation other than merely an entertainment for the toddlers and above). Coincidentally both films' heroines are princess (Rapunzel in TANGLED and a Scottish Merida in BRAVE), adapted from Grimm Brothers' tale, TANGLED is supremely reminiscent of Disney's other established princess analogs trapped in a magic world, let's say Snow White, Sleeping Beauty and Cinderella, what's more, there will always be a prince-charming to deserve and requite her love. Wisely Rapunzel's Flynn Rider has been sizeably modernized as a reckless, self-mocking yet conservatively "Disney" prince with a thief background. But in BRAVE, Merida is a much more radical rebel by blood, she doesn't have or need a prince with white horse (the film doesn't care to proffer one since all her tribe suitors are one-of-a-kind wackos), she is fighting against her predestined life path which her mother has arranged for her and her status has requested her, a tad thread-bone notwithstanding, but chronicling with a single-linear arc, the mother-daughter predicament has slipped to the hanging-by-a-thread situation when a magic spell transfigures the Queen's appearance into a bear which cannot be recanted after the second sunrise, therefore, instigates an intimate bonding phase for the two, viscerally the mutual love only exudes when something unusual happens, while living in the mundane life, we are all suffering and grated by the love with a insurmountable generation gap. Rapunzel, on the other hand, her main barrier is the ultimate breakthrough from her "mother" Gothel (a greatly overlooked Donna Murphy), who raises her and locks her up in the tower for 18 years, treats her as her own out of a selfish but very understandable motivation (to rejuvenate her youth), but out of any sequential transition, all of a sudden Rapunzel miraculously remember her princess identity (she was taken away when she was an infant, so I doubt there is any memory there, more like an implausible epiphany or actually a screenwriter's block), what's more unbelievably awkward is that she immediately snarls back to her "mother" as if all the recollections of Gothel's evil scheme has been replayed in front of her eyes and she has been tortured for all that year long (actually she is fairly happy and content alone with her cutesy chameleon) , which I deem as a child's play, very much panders to its core audience of pre-school demography. So, from a vantage point under the contemporary context, BRAVE is far more daring and enthralling from its "no guts no glory" premise, it is able to identify with a way broader audience, which is also the main ingredient of the winsome recipe "why Pixar can keep excelling all its peers (if not itself) on the top-tier of the hierarchy", in spite of that on a technical level, all the major animation studios in Hollywood (DREAMWORKS, BLUE SKY STUDIOS, etc.) are almost equally cutting-edge. Music is Disney's strong suit, the first half of TANGLED is a conventional musical showcase, culminating the saccharine romance with the Oscar-nominated theme-song I SEE THE LIGHT, fusing with an intoxicating lanterns-all-over-the-sky spectacle, this has always been the tactic to emit Disney's overblown sentimentality, I am certain it is no longer an all-age proof method now. In BRAVE, although Kelly Macdonald and Emma Thompson's heavy Scottish accents do not get along with my ears, the exotic score and tunes are generally agreeable, and what's more admirable, it doesn't steal the thunder of the film per se. Honestly speaking after the astonishingly-acclaimed WALL-E (2008, 9/10), UP (2009, 9/10) and TOY STORY 3 (2010, 9/10), I automatically skipped last years CAR 2 (2011), BRAVE is a left-field choice, the scale of the story has been slimmed down to a quite unimaginable mother-daughter clash, even grafting it on the most platitudinous soil of a princess's tale. But by good fortune, the film doesn't smear Pixar's paramount reputation, Merida goes through a well-deployed rite-of-passage and the sub-plots such as the blue wisps, the ancient lore of the discontent brother and the witch's hut are all positioned into the right niche to uplift the mythology and idiosyncrasy of the film. As for TANGLED, Disney will never relinquish its tradition (otherwise Walt Disney will definitely be jumping inside his tomb), and it is also an exquisitely-made piece of work, just unfortunately paled by comparison by BRAVE since there is no sparks glittering and all the chirpy happiness seems synthetic and a bit stale. Expand
  8. Jun 22, 2012
    Brave is a simple story, but told with such depth and magic it is hard not to love this movie. It isn't the studios best but it sure is great. Wonderfully voice acted by Kelly McDonald and the rest of the cast. And it is expertly and beautifully animated with wonderful detail. It is funny, emotionally resonant, and altogether beautiful. I give this movie 95%.
  9. Apr 3, 2013
    While Brave is certainly smarter than your average animated film, it nonetheless lacks the charm that permeates nearly every other Pixar film. It's still a very solid film that features some fantastic voice work, but Pixar has yet to return to its true form of masterful animation filmmaking.
  10. Apr 17, 2013
    Its difficult to come away from a Pixar film and not be blown away, I haven't seen Cars 2 and therefore can't comment on its mixed reaction, but even the first Cars film had me in awe, and while Brave is one of the funniest entries in Pixar's gleaming list of accolades, while still an excellent film, it doesn't fit well with their other movies and seems very Disney oriented, with variousIts difficult to come away from a Pixar film and not be blown away, I haven't seen Cars 2 and therefore can't comment on its mixed reaction, but even the first Cars film had me in awe, and while Brave is one of the funniest entries in Pixar's gleaming list of accolades, while still an excellent film, it doesn't fit well with their other movies and seems very Disney oriented, with various call outs to the typical Disney genre, the witch, the bears the princess etc.
    With a Scottish backdrop, Brave is told at a time of magical fantasy with kings, queens and castles, and when flaming red-haired teenager Merida (Kelly MacDonald) tries to be her own person, she comes into conflict with her mother, Queen Elinor (Emma Thompson) who wants her daughter to be raised the traditional way.
    Brave kicked off proceedings with a very nervy and edgy start, but a start that didn't seem to develop, we see Merida making a fool out of all her potential husbands with a bow and arrow, but nothing seems to develop from her skill with such a weapon, and although the plot that unfolds is pretty thoughtful and detailed, it always seems like the film was started to lead into something different.
    The message within the film refers to the relationship between Merida and her mother, but again this never seems to have time to make enough of an emotional impact to justify the climax of the film.
    Saying that though, Merida is a very intriguing and interesting character, and it was certainly a nice change to see a perhaps male-dominated generation to be upstaged by this flame-haired princess and skilled heroine.
    As usual, Pixar continue to push out the most breathtaking an beautifully animated films in recent memory, and Brave is no exception. The Scottish Highlands are the perfect backdrop for the fairytale feel of a film, with rapturous bagpipe tunes to set the tone of the film and show off its true beauty.
    Comedy-wise, it doesn't disappoint, with Merida's younger brothers, triplets, being the funniest of them all, playing their pranks whether it is with their father or cake stealing off a maid, the humour, topped with the accent, makes for a wonderfully funny 90 mins.
    Yes, 90 mins (if not less) and it does certainly seem so as the film does seem to speed its way through, but although the truly unique feel of a Pixar film perhaps isn't in full force with Brave, there is enough laughter and enough visual spectacle, along with an excellent voice cast that make this enjoyable, if not solely for the adult wanting a previous Pixar effort, then certainly the children.
  11. Nov 15, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This time, it's Kelly Macdonald's turn to be the princess, the future queen of Scotland. As Merida, she gets to be brave, but brave how? In Elizabeth, Macdonald plays Isabel Knollys, one of the then-princess' girlfriends, first glimpsed in a meadow, where she climbs off a horse and joins the idling others, who stop their dancing in order to greet the future queen's rival. Elizabeth, meanwhile, undulates alone, pretending not to notice the male presence. Whereas Merida grabs the reigns of her own horse, Isabel needs a man to do the riding, Elizabeth's man, the Earl of Leicester, who would later marry the lesser wench, while "The Virgin Queen", a Protestant, was busy antagonizing the Catholics. Unlike Elizabeth, the reluctant princess' formative years is distinguished by the obfuscation of a love interest and friends, both male, and more pointedly, female. It's a filmic calibration, calculatedly so. Instead of a true love, a man without the pedigree to marry a princess, Merida has a bow; no beau at all, no analog to Elizabeth's earl. Brave, despite its comic tempering, can't quite obscure the fact that Merida hatches a murder plot against the queen. Elinor, due to her interpellation into a patriarchal structure, turns a deaf ear to Merida's plea that she "just listen". The mother is too preoccupied with her daughter's betrothal, thereby circumventing an open dialogue about the redhead's lesbianism. At the outset of Brave, a transfiguration is suggested, when Merida, as a wee lass, encounters a will-o'-the-wisp while retrieving an errant arrow. According to lore, this floating body of blue light is reputed to drive people off safe paths. Metaphorically speaking, as life journeys go, heterosexuality, for a princess and future queen, would seem to be a less complicated road. Marry, and live happily ever after. Merida, however, is no storybook princess. At the archery contest, she declares, "I'll be shooting for my own hand," and afterwards, in the castle, the proto-feminist ranting persists, as the victorious princess, proud of her performative emancipation, tells Elinor, "I'm not going to be like you," before charging off into the woods on her horse. By perchance, the will-o'-the-wisp returns, finding the lost girl at her most vulnerable. Intuiting what Merida wants, the spirit leads the princess to a witch, who then concocts an elixir, a cake, with the power to "change" the queen(into a corpse?). As Elinor writhes and spasms, her daughter sits bedside, oblivious to the potentiality of her mother's death. The girl's overriding concern is that the queen should remand her impending nuptials. She tries to coax some last words out of the queen before the poison takes effect. But unexpectedly, Elinor turns into a bear, causing Merida to remark, "The witch must have given me a gamy spell." These seemingly benevolent words are double-edged, treacherous words that the audience, who presumes the heroine to be good, will vault past, never once entertaining the notion that the tainted cake was meant to kill. After all, it's a children's film. Scan the castle interiors; scan the crowd at the playing field for a girl, a peasant, perhaps, a secret lover who has to escape detection from the parental royals.The cake, and the violence which proceeds its consumption by a matriarchal figure, recalls Heavenly Creatures, when Pauline tells her mother to take the last pastry, to "treat yourself", just before the girls murder Honora Parker. With mom out of the way, Paulie thinks her fate is changed; she and Juliet(first seen dressed as a princess) can now be together. "She doesn't seem to "bear" us any grudge," Juliet says, as the torrid lovers make their last-minute preparations. Neither does Elinor, who adjusts to her new form in record time. That's because she's one, too: a lesbian. While searching for the sprite, Merida lets loose a Freudian slip of sorts, shouting, "Fine, don't come out while my mom is watching." She knows, though; the father, too, about them both. Later, back at the castle, the king tells Merida, "Just like your mom, you devil." He knows that the bear is his wife; he believes Merida. Only as a beast, a monster, can he justifiably kill his gay queen. "Don't let her out!" the king barks out at the housekeeper, or else he'll have to kill Merida, too, bear or not. Brave, in essence, is Mulan with kilts. Even more sexually confused than her Scottish counterpart, only in drag, as Ping, can Mulan love Li Shang. She too is leery about marriage. "When will my reflection show, who I am inside," the cross-dresser sings. Subconsciously, she purposefully sets the matchmaker on fire. But alas, to be a dutiful daughter, Mulan will marry the handsome captain, and please her tradition-bound parents. Merida, however, has other ideas. Like Joan, who passes on sailing to Kiloran in "I Know Where I'm Going", Merida, too, stays on dry land for love. Expand
  12. Nov 29, 2012
    I thought Brave was a very good and enjoyable family movie, but it didn't quite live up to it's Pixar brethren. For one, it felt incredibly short. I know the time listing says 93 minutes but I honestly doubt it was much more than 80 minutes. I have a feeling that "93" number is including the short film that preceded Brave called "La Luna". That was probably 5-10 minutes so that would seemI thought Brave was a very good and enjoyable family movie, but it didn't quite live up to it's Pixar brethren. For one, it felt incredibly short. I know the time listing says 93 minutes but I honestly doubt it was much more than 80 minutes. I have a feeling that "93" number is including the short film that preceded Brave called "La Luna". That was probably 5-10 minutes so that would seem more accurate. Also, the previews didn't do a very good job at representing the movie. The previews made it seem like the protagonist, Merida, would become overwhelmed and then run away from home. During this adventure, she would "find herself" by overcoming various obstacles during the course of the film. While this was partly true, the "adventure" lasted about 5 minutes and didn't lead her to any form of self discovery. Instead, she ended up back home and the path the movie took from here wasn't all that entertaining. The movie looked incredible and the voice acting was great but the plot just didn't unfold in the way I thought it should've. Still, this was a very good movie that the whole family can enjoy. Expand
  13. Feb 3, 2013
    Overall, I liked Brave. While I do not think it is one of Pixar’s best it is still a good film. The story and characters are good enough and a lot better than you see in a lot of kids films these days. While I feel like the film could have been a lot better I think it is good enough. Hopefully, Pixar gets their groove back for their next film. While the film is not the best thing I sawOverall, I liked Brave. While I do not think it is one of Pixar’s best it is still a good film. The story and characters are good enough and a lot better than you see in a lot of kids films these days. While I feel like the film could have been a lot better I think it is good enough. Hopefully, Pixar gets their groove back for their next film. While the film is not the best thing I saw this year it was still good. If you want to see a film with a female protagonist set in Irealnd with decent story and characters check Brave out. While I cannot gurantee you will love this film as much Up or Toy Story 3 you will at least like it and who knows maybe you will love it more than I did because this is a good film. Expand
  14. Feb 5, 2013
    Of all the Pixar films, this one has me REALLY conflicted as to my opinion of it. The first 30 minutes set up a movie that looks to be something of legend. Then, it goes all Disney on me!? Totally changing the narrative to something else completely. A real shame. Had it continued the way it was going, it would have been phenomenal. But, that mild disappointment aside: It still manages toOf all the Pixar films, this one has me REALLY conflicted as to my opinion of it. The first 30 minutes set up a movie that looks to be something of legend. Then, it goes all Disney on me!? Totally changing the narrative to something else completely. A real shame. Had it continued the way it was going, it would have been phenomenal. But, that mild disappointment aside: It still manages to be very charming and delivers a movie worthy of Disney Pixar. If anything this is the first Pixar film I can say is a perfect example of the two studios working together as one. Animation is spectacular. Voice acting is excellent. Writing is. Is! Is? A little disjointed but that aside still rather charming. Overall: A real shame that the movie wasn't "Brave" enough to be a bit more daring and take the leap that it looked like it was going to. Still, the Disney route was still allot of fun too. Expand
  15. Jun 24, 2012
    Remember when Disney announced a couple of years ago that "Tangled" would be their last Princess movie? They lied, or Pixar didn't get the memo. Here is yet another. Even though I didn't care for the "Cars" sequel from last year, at least it was still original. This movie worries me because there is nothing original about it, and originality is what I have always loved about Pixar.Remember when Disney announced a couple of years ago that "Tangled" would be their last Princess movie? They lied, or Pixar didn't get the memo. Here is yet another. Even though I didn't care for the "Cars" sequel from last year, at least it was still original. This movie worries me because there is nothing original about it, and originality is what I have always loved about Pixar. This movie is a fairy tale and you get the feeling you've seen it a hundred times before as you watch it. They even copied the Irish accents from "How to Train Your Dragon" and "Shrek". It has some humor in it, but not much, and the overall look of the film was dark although I saw it in 3D which admittedly darkens the screen a little. I would rank it higher than "The Princess and the Frog", but WAY lower than "Tangled" (a Disney Masterpiece) if comparing to other Princess movies. If comparing to other Pixar films it would be the second worse right before Cars2. This makes two mediocre films in a row for Pixar. Hopefully they will rebound on the next film. Expand
  16. Mar 8, 2014
    "Brave" is darker and more violent than other Pixar movies, and although it's slightly weaker than some other Pixar films, it still delivers plenty of humor, fun and emotion. The film makes a solid family & kids film.
  17. Mar 12, 2015
    The film has some emotional push and pull, but often feels a tad predictable and confined in terms of story. It opens with some nice dilation between scenes of nicely done mother-daughter drama and scenes marvelously chaotic slapstick and action, which had me interested, but the film didn't leave me totally satisfied as previous Pixar works have.

I'd say the visuals were stunning, and

I'd say the visuals were stunning, and the heroine was well-designed as opposed to most of what we see from studios like Dreamworks (no disrespect intended), and the scenery was lovely. I only wish that there had been a little bit more to it in terms of story.
  18. Dec 7, 2012
    A great animated film that presents the incredible story of a redheaded girl and her magical adventures.
  19. Jul 29, 2012
    I remember when Pixar creating good movies, Toy Story, Monsters Inc, The Incredibles, Up, Ratatouille, Wall*e. The last year we watch Cars 2, the ill-fated sequel of Cars. Now they try return with Brave... This new movie is really interesting in some parts but have some things wich appear more of a Disney movie, but the movie is really good. The trama is about Merida (the girl who looksI remember when Pixar creating good movies, Toy Story, Monsters Inc, The Incredibles, Up, Ratatouille, Wall*e. The last year we watch Cars 2, the ill-fated sequel of Cars. Now they try return with Brave... This new movie is really interesting in some parts but have some things wich appear more of a Disney movie, but the movie is really good. The trama is about Merida (the girl who looks like Shaun White) a girl who wan't reign, after she transforms her mother into a bear (yes like in Brother Bear), but the people of the kingdom hate the bears and her father try kill her mom, and appear a really bad bear and he was a man. Ok the trama it's same that the Bear Brother trama, but the development is funny and emotive, the animation is really excellent. The characters are amazing have cool moments along the movie. Brave obviusly is not the best Pixar movie, but is better than Cars 2, and with this demostrate that they can return to the throne. Expand
  20. Jun 9, 2013
    Not the direction I thought it would go.I thought she would go on some different adventure, but it was good. I liked the main character. The story overall was nothing to crazy.
  21. Aug 6, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie tells us a story of a young princess that her mother wants her to marry and the princess doesn't want. they fight all the time as the mother always talks about the marriage and the young girl always gets annoyed and they talk bad to each other. So one day she takes a spell from a witch so as to change her mother's behaviour but the spell actually transformed the mother to a bear. It is a really interesting plot and the movie has some funny moments. Time passes really fast and it is moving in some points as the girl and her mum the get well with each other in that way. Princess Merida is a combination of Katniss everdeen and black widow and i have to say that i really liked that character. The whole movie in general is great and you will laugh and you will get sad in some moments. I don't really like animation but I really liked Brave. I haven't seen the other films which were nominated for an Oscar but Brave was a good film and it obviously deserved an Oscar. Expand
  22. Dec 23, 2014
    Disney rarely fails with their films, and "Brave" -- a beautifully animated, mostly funny and intelligently scripted motion picture -- proves that.

7.5/10.
  23. Apr 24, 2015
    At first glance, Brave seems much like an old-fashioned animated Disney princess film done using new-fangled technology. Most of the elements are in place: the plucky heroine, the faithful animal companion, a mysterious wizard, and a character-building journey. There are even a few songs. Looking deeper, however, there's something missing: narrative momentum. The thinly-written storylineAt first glance, Brave seems much like an old-fashioned animated Disney princess film done using new-fangled technology. Most of the elements are in place: the plucky heroine, the faithful animal companion, a mysterious wizard, and a character-building journey. There are even a few songs. Looking deeper, however, there's something missing: narrative momentum. The thinly-written storyline takes us on an adventure, to be sure, but not necessarily one viewers will be interested in taking. The tone is uneven and more often morose than joyful. The pacing is slow and at times almost tedious. The end result is something that feels like it was put together from a jumble of Disney clichés tacked onto the skeleton of Beauty and the Beast.

The lack of both a romantic element and a real villain is only part of the problem. Another issue is that the lead character, the wild, arrow-shooting, red-headed Princess Merida (voiced by Kelly Macdonald) is more of a brat than a spunky, strong-willed girl. Okay, there's a fine line but, for the most part, Disney has managed to stay on the right side of it. Watching Merida, the only thing I could think is that her parents indulged her too much. As the movie progresses, we see that's true of her blustering father, King Fergus (Billy Connolly), who lets her get away with just about anything. Her mother, Queen Elinor (Emma Thompson), tries to lay down the law but ends up being turned into a bear for her troubles. The spoiled Merida, not liking to be constrained by Mom's rules (especially the one about marrying a prince), finds a witch and obtains magic that, when applied, results in Elinor becoming bear-able. The rest of the movie is spent trying to reverse the spell before Big Game Hunter Fergus inadvertently kills his wife.

Something sad has happened within Pixar. With Brave as a lackluster follow-up to the misfire of Cars 2, they seem to be spinning their wheels. Gone is the magic they infused in great films like The Incredibles, Finding Nemo, WALL*E, and the Toy Storys. Gone are the days when movie-lovers of all ages could celebrate the release of a new Pixar feature. They have fallen back to the pack, and maybe even slipped a little behind. Even Brave's staunchest defenders will grudgingly admit that this is "lesser Pixar." Artistically, despite its catalog of flaws, Brave is superior to Madagascar 3, but kids will prefer the latter for its color, its spectacle, and its cheerfulness. Curiously, Brave is neither fish nor fowl. It lacks a strong appeal to kids (too slow, too dark, too long) and adults (too superficial, not well written). The "Disney" and "Pixar" names assure an audience but it's hard to imagine Brave generating a lot of enthusiasm. Its final numbers will likely be closer to those of Cars 2 than Up.

With computer animated films circa 2012, it's almost pointless to talk about the "look." Ten or fifteen years ago, we marveled at the level of subtlety and detail in movie like this. Now, the playing field is level. Nearly all animated films - whether from Fox, Pixar, Dreamworks, Warner Brothers, or someone else - boast the same polished appearance. Brave uses a dark pallet but it appears neither better nor worse than Madagascar 3 or The Lorax. (Time to insert my obligatory 3-D verdict: don't bother. Not the greatest - it dims an already dark movie and there is blur during scenes where there's a lot of movement.)

Early in its genesis, Brave was being touted as "the first animated film directed by a woman." That woman, Brenda Chapman, didn't make it all the way through the production, being replaced by Mark Andrews part-way through due to "creative differences." Maybe that in part explains Brave's meandering approach and tone. Chapman, who is still credited as both a co-director and a co-writer, previously worked on the story for 1991's Beauty and the Beast and appears to have used pieces of that film as an inspiration here. The climax, in fact, is almost a direct steal (with Mom standing in for Prince Charming). In the end, Brave could have used a little of the Beauty and the Beast magic.

Brave is preceded by the charming Pixar short, "La Luna," which is ultimately more worth the price of admission than the feature.
  24. Jun 8, 2014
    Well Pixar's first try at a princess movie is enjoyable but clearly Disney is the leader of this market. Now this is my second viewing for this movie first was back when it was released on Blu ray and while i still find the movie entertaining i didn't find myself laughing as much this time around and most of the time the laughs came from the three little brothers other then that i laughedWell Pixar's first try at a princess movie is enjoyable but clearly Disney is the leader of this market. Now this is my second viewing for this movie first was back when it was released on Blu ray and while i still find the movie entertaining i didn't find myself laughing as much this time around and most of the time the laughs came from the three little brothers other then that i laughed maybe 2 or 3 times. Seeing that this is an original story and not a sequel the story is rather unoriginal and underwhelming compared to past original Pixar films other than the Cars movies which are just terrible. Personally i think Steve Purcell had a bit too much of a hands-on with this movie and that's why it didn't turn out as well as it could have.

The movie follows Merida a young princess and ever since her father King Fergus(Billy Connolly) gave her a bow and some arrows when she was just a child she has been different. She is not like every other princess she is more a tomboy that likes to do archery and go on adventures something her mother Queen Elinor(Emma Thompson) highly disapproves of. Soon her mother and father tell her that she has to get married to one of the three other clans prince's, reluctant to agree Merida and her mother get into a heated argument to a point were Merida storms out and goes into the forest. Once deep into the forest she notices a blue orb type thing floating in the air and she decides to following it, it leads her to a old witch's cabin were she ends up asking the witch to change her mom. Now we have our story and like i said before its unoriginal and underwhelming which is a shame because the trailers made the movie look a lot better then what it ended up being but still though i enjoyed the movie.

For the most part the only thing that separates this Pixar movie from other movie studios like Walt Disney Animation, DreamWorks Animation, and Illumination Entertainment, is its amazing use of animation. Everything was beautifully detailed especially Merida's hair and the grass which both right from the beginning are a stand out with just how gorgeous the movie looks but i guess with them updating their animation system for the first time in about 25 years it was bound to looks stunning. The cast was good but no one was a really stood out and with a list of actors like Billy Connolly, Craig Ferguson, Emma Thompson, Kelly Macdonald, Robbie Coltrane, Kevin McKidd that was kinda a let down. The action was entertaining but there just wasn't enough of it to really mean anything well i guess because half of the fighting was between the four clans where the humor comes in and no one dies.

Overall i give it a 7.0 Well honestly i have this as my 3rd least favorite Pixar movie of course behind the two car movies still though this is a good first try for Pixar but honestly they should just let Disney do the princess movies as they obviously the best ones at doing it.
  25. Jun 27, 2012
    Brave is a good film that is a blast while your watching it but after you feel as though all will soon be forgotten. This is a result of characters that are not memorable and a message that is cliches and that you've seen in plenty of Disney movies. Because of pixar's masterpieces I feel as though this film should have been better, but it is still good none the less.
  26. Mar 30, 2013
    I first have to praise the animators at Pixar, the film really does look quite stunning, as we’ve come to expect. I will put aside the many historical inaccuracies or I could be here all day; needless to say, a lot of poetic license has been used. There were some really comic moments which I found quite refreshing, but the general narrative was skewed towards a female audience (I felt).I first have to praise the animators at Pixar, the film really does look quite stunning, as we’ve come to expect. I will put aside the many historical inaccuracies or I could be here all day; needless to say, a lot of poetic license has been used. There were some really comic moments which I found quite refreshing, but the general narrative was skewed towards a female audience (I felt). Not that that’s a bad thing; I still found myself wrapped up in the story as much as I would have been if it had been a more male orientated work. Over all, it’s very enjoyable with some great comic moments. Definitely one for mothers and daughters rather than fathers and sons, but still worth a look if you have the inclination.

SteelMonster’s verdict: RECOMMENDED

My score: 7.3/10
  27. Jun 24, 2012
    I literally saw nothing wrong with this movie. Brave was epic, inspiring, and beautiful. Great action, genius story, and hilarious comedy, it was a perfect film for adults and children to enjoy. Pixar has knocked another one out of the park, only Brave was not your normal home run, it was a grand slam. After a bit of a downfall with Cars 2, Pixar has recovered and has granted us with aI literally saw nothing wrong with this movie. Brave was epic, inspiring, and beautiful. Great action, genius story, and hilarious comedy, it was a perfect film for adults and children to enjoy. Pixar has knocked another one out of the park, only Brave was not your normal home run, it was a grand slam. After a bit of a downfall with Cars 2, Pixar has recovered and has granted us with a beautiful film. Like i said before, from the action, the comedy, the animation, to the story, and everything in between, it was all perfect. You must see this film, whether you're 4 or 94, you will enjoy this movie. 10/10...Perfection. Expand
  28. Jul 4, 2012
    Although with its uneven pacing and really, really terrible jokes, Pixar is still deliver its best. I found Brave is pure, heart-warming and beautiful. I can't stand to mother-daughter drama, I even cry when the battle scene. One of the best releases so far.
  29. Jun 24, 2012
    dharma
    Jun 24, 2012
    dharma
    Jun 24, 2012
    It's strange to think that PIXAR's movies were held in such high esteem, that any lesser output from the studio will be held under such scrutiny. BRAVE is such output from the studio; not as 'critically lambasted' as CARS 2 but never reaching the heights that the studio reach in their Toy Story trilogy, Incredibles or reaching such 'artistic' heights as in Wall-E or Up. Nevertheless, Being in the same 'quality' as Dreamworks' latest output such as Kung Fu Panda 2 is also worrying for fans. It's good, but never reaching great. It is actually Pixar's interpretation of Disney's 'Princess' genre. Technologically wise, it is incredible as usual
  30. Jun 27, 2012
    Brave is a fine film. It strikes a strong touching note in the end as many Pixar films do. Is the story original? No....and yes. It has strong echoes of Brother Bear, which is the finer film, but the bond between mother and daughter is explored here and in much more depth. Merida is a good Disney princess.....a no-nonsense strong girl that refuses to take the path that so many expect herBrave is a fine film. It strikes a strong touching note in the end as many Pixar films do. Is the story original? No....and yes. It has strong echoes of Brother Bear, which is the finer film, but the bond between mother and daughter is explored here and in much more depth. Merida is a good Disney princess.....a no-nonsense strong girl that refuses to take the path that so many expect her to take. In many ways, she is one of the strongest and most realistic Disney princesses we've seen in a long time. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Ian Nathan
    Aug 12, 2012
    No less lovely than former films, in many ways lovelier, but Brave is boutique Pixar: less ambitious, more succinct, excellence at a lower ebb.
  2. Reviewed by: Ben Child
    Jun 25, 2012
    For the animation studio's debut foray into fairytale, Pixar has delivered a rousing family melodrama.
  3. Reviewed by: Stephanie Zacharek
    Jun 25, 2012
    My heart belongs to Bear Elinor, whose movements and mannerisms are a tender echo of Human Elinor's – her character is designed and drawn just that carefully.