7.2

1. Jul 12, 2012
    "Brave" is such a great word to summarize the events in and surrounding this film. First and foremost, "brave" describes Pixar's willingness to do two things they've never done before: feature a film with a female lead and feature a plotline that manifestly embodies the core realities at the heart of family relations. Second and most importantly, Pixar succeeded. Nothing is forced about"Brave" is such a great word to summarize the events in and surrounding this film. First and foremost, "brave" describes Pixar's willingness to do two things they've never done before: feature a film with a female lead and feature a plotline that manifestly embodies the core realities at the heart of family relations. Second and most importantly, Pixar succeeded. Nothing is forced about the relationship between Merida and her mother. It's all genuine and incredibly heartfelt. Not to mention the film is encapsulated by the most spectacularly realistic imagery Pixar has ever done and has hints of Scottish culture. Oh, and there are wonderfully silly moments full of laughter as well. Could Pixar have done more with the storyline? Yes. Does it matter? Not in the least. It may not be the greatest film Pixar has ever made, but Brave stands as one of their best. Expand
  2. Jul 11, 2012
    A PERFECT MOVIE

A PERFECT MOVIE

This may not be the greatest movie Pixar has ever made, but it's a gentle, funny, perfectly satisfying movie. I believe it's a classic. One thing I like is that there's no malice in it, anywhere. No bad guys or gals, just ordinary people making each day's ration of mistakes. Brave provides a model for girls, to be leaders, to be truly accomplished at something, and to expect to be recognized for it. This was the best movie experience I've had all year.
  3. Jul 11, 2012
    i loved brave it was so good and i cant believe 13 people gave it a 3 or less because i thought it was heart warming but at the same time sharing a lesson about how you have to be careful of what you wish for
  4. Jul 10, 2012
    I was really disappointed with this film. I'm not a big movie buff but my husband and kids love spending the afternoon at the movies so I was happy to join them this time after seeing the trailers on tv. I loved the main heroine and her mother because they were beautiful and full of spunk, spirit and life, but the male characters were gross looking -- there wasn't even one who lookedI was really disappointed with this film. I'm not a big movie buff but my husband and kids love spending the afternoon at the movies so I was happy to join them this time after seeing the trailers on tv. I loved the main heroine and her mother because they were beautiful and full of spunk, spirit and life, but the male characters were gross looking -- there wasn't even one who looked Prince Charming-ish or even remotely easy on the eyes. I laughed a couple of times throughout the movie, but overall, our whole family of 5 walked out of the theater thinking we'd already seen the best parts on the trailer. I agree with another reviewers comment below: "When you are not cheering for anyone in the story, you don't care about anything that happens to them." Would not consider seeing it again or renting it. Expand
  5. Jul 9, 2012
    If you want to see a movie about individualism and family, then this is the one to see. Although some people will groan about seeing an animation, this definitely tops the list. As the main character, Merida, goes along through this story, she is faced with a few life challenges that could affect her for a long time. As suggested by the film's title, "Brave," Merida is required to drawIf you want to see a movie about individualism and family, then this is the one to see. Although some people will groan about seeing an animation, this definitely tops the list. As the main character, Merida, goes along through this story, she is faced with a few life challenges that could affect her for a long time. As suggested by the film's title, "Brave," Merida is required to draw from within herself and figure out what needs to be done. During this time, she learns some important values about herself and those that she loves. This movie is definitely one that I recommend. However, some things could have been done differently. Expand
  6. Jul 8, 2012
    I've been dreading writing this down. Specially when it comes to Pixar. I have loved every single one of their movies. Even Cars. Not that it was their strongest suit. But everywhere else, I always walked out of the movie theater being thankful this company came together. It's one of those you know extra care goes in to make things abnormally special.
    Not with this one. I can't put my
    Not with this one. I can't put my finger on it. The trailer was amazing. I knew I had to see this thing. I had my enormous popcorn and even larger soda. All was going according to plan. And then a bear showed up... Yes. A bear... interestingly enough the people I went to see this with loved the bear thing. I just couldn't wrap myself around it. What the heck does someone turning into bear have to do with being brave in life. Ok, so the girl needs to be less selfish and follow her mother's dictate. As most children should. I'm with you there. But in the story they seem to promote that when you go out of your way to change your future against the establishment things turn out for the worst. I gotta say, I'm not down with that. If anything, the girl was selfish for involving her mother in her own rebellious attitude, that about the only message I see here... But, a bear?
    I did feel a couple of emotional moments. These guys know how to get you. They've done it enough times. And there is no doubt that the graphics get better and better. Take a close look at that girl's red hair. I can't imagine animating and rendering that thing.
    Truth be told, I am yet to come across anyone that felt the movie was below par. Everyone is recommending it, and, actually, so do I. Go see it. You won't be disappointed... I will say, though, this is no Wally. Now, that one, is more like what I expect of Pixar.
  7. Jul 6, 2012
    Brave Is A Solid Good Movie. I Don't Like How This Can Be The Most Popular Childrens Movie Of 2012 And Then Studiuo Ghibli Is Stuck In The Ground. Watch A Studio Ghibli VS Pixar. GHIBLI ALLWAYS WINS IN MY BOOK!
  8. Jul 6, 2012
    This is the first animation from Pixar with a female in the lead. Merida is a young Scottish princess, who would rather ride her horse and shoot arrows than do girlie stuff. When it's time for suitors, she protests, flees and causes a spell that upends her world. While the title suggests a bold, daring action film, that's not the case. This is a tale of inner bravery. While the story isThis is the first animation from Pixar with a female in the lead. Merida is a young Scottish princess, who would rather ride her horse and shoot arrows than do girlie stuff. When it's time for suitors, she protests, flees and causes a spell that upends her world. While the title suggests a bold, daring action film, that's not the case. This is a tale of inner bravery. While the story is compelling, many of the familiar Pixar elements are in short supply: enjoyable supporting characters, clever humor and dazzling visuals (Merida's hair is the star of the movie). While the audience (young and old) seemed rapt, I found there to be too much dialogue and not enough fun. NOTE: Stay thru the credits for one final punchline. Expand
  9. Jul 5, 2012
    Unlikeable characters and shallow story telling are what make this film mediocre. It's not a bad movie, but it is not nearly as good as other Pixar films. If this and Cars 2 are a sign of things to come then I think we are in for more disappointment in the coming years. Kids will like it, but I think adults will find this film strangely negative in its depictions of men, and the womenUnlikeable characters and shallow story telling are what make this film mediocre. It's not a bad movie, but it is not nearly as good as other Pixar films. If this and Cars 2 are a sign of things to come then I think we are in for more disappointment in the coming years. Kids will like it, but I think adults will find this film strangely negative in its depictions of men, and the women characters are not much better. Also, it's damn boring. Expand
  10. Jul 5, 2012
    This is a great movie, so many good messages about family and putting yourself in someone elses shoes. But the best message I thought was that a young woman can be complete without a man, making it okay to wait for the right man. I hate that everyone is comparing it to Wall-e and Up and Toy story. All great movies, but all different stories, as is this one. Why compare? The animationThis is a great movie, so many good messages about family and putting yourself in someone elses shoes. But the best message I thought was that a young woman can be complete without a man, making it okay to wait for the right man. I hate that everyone is comparing it to Wall-e and Up and Toy story. All great movies, but all different stories, as is this one. Why compare? The animation was great! The look in Angus's eye's as real as any of my horses. If anyone walked away from this with anything other than a good feeling, they might want to take a closer look within themselves. Expand
  11. Jul 4, 2012
    Although with its uneven pacing and really, really terrible jokes, Pixar is still deliver its best. I found Brave is pure, heart-warming and beautiful. I can't stand to mother-daughter drama, I even cry when the battle scene. One of the best releases so far.
  12. Jul 4, 2012
    It's a little late but I finally saw Brave with my 6 year old son. The animation is magnificent, and the storyline takes the fairy tale princess into some uncharted areas. Merida (voiced by Kelly MacDonald) is a ginger-haired princess in medieval Scotland. Her father, King Fergus (voiced by Billy Connolly), is a brute of a man who loses a leg in a fight with a bear called Mor'du. He has aIt's a little late but I finally saw Brave with my 6 year old son. The animation is magnificent, and the storyline takes the fairy tale princess into some uncharted areas. Merida (voiced by Kelly MacDonald) is a ginger-haired princess in medieval Scotland. Her father, King Fergus (voiced by Billy Connolly), is a brute of a man who loses a leg in a fight with a bear called Mor'du. He has a soft heart for his daughter who is also his first-born. From the time she is a tiny girl, he insists on giving her bows and arrows for gifts instead of the usual "girly" gifts, much to the chagrin of her mother, Queen Elinor (voiced by Emma Thompson). The mother/daughter relationship plays a central role in the plot of this film. Queen Elinor is a complex character. She is at once strong, gentle, graceful, assertive, and very much a lady. She knows her place in this world and wants the same for her daughter. All of her parenting decisions are based on preparing Merida for her future as a princess.

At first, it seems like it might be like all the other princess movies: the princess comes of age, the parents want to marry her off to an eligible suitor from a noble family, and she rebels against the tradition. At which point, trouble ensues. But in Brave, the story takes some unexpected turns. After she has trounced her suitors in an archery competition, she takes off on her own in search of her fate. There are some beautiful images in the middle section of the film, complete with airy, phosphorescent Will o' The Wisps and a cunning witch. Never was it more true that one should be careful what you wish for, as you might just get it and all of the unintended consequences that come with it. I want to be careful not to spoil the film for anyone who has not seen it, so if the next bit of the review feels vague, it is intentionally so. Merida wants so badly for her fate to be different than it is, some major changes occur for her and her mother. Being a daughter myself, I can attest to the complex nature of the relationship between a daughter and her mother. Invariably, the wishes of the mother clash with the wishes of the daughter and in a show of independence, a rift sometimes occurs. And sometimes it takes a crisis for both parties to grow and to come to know each other as equals. This must surely occur before a mother and a daughter can have a functional relationship. All of this is brought to life on the screen in Brave. But don't worry. There is plenty of action for the boys in your life. There are kilts and the usual kilt jokes that go along with them. The other clan members are quite funny as voiced by such talented Scots as Kevin McKidd and Craig Ferguson. As I mentioned before, there are bears in the film, and these scenes are quite frightening. They are short, but you might need to warn your little one that it is a Disney film and most things turn out ok. Be prepared for them to beg to leave the theater, though. But it is well worth staying to the end. Use caution with kids under 5 or 6.
  13. Jul 3, 2012
    Brave's story is a simple and even sometimes predictable one. Pixar played it safe. The characters however, are some of Pixar's deepest, most believable and loveable yet, made only more so by the excellent voice cast and fantastic animation. The excellent characterisation results in some of Pixar's most poignant, beautiful character moments to date, and there will be more than a few timesBrave's story is a simple and even sometimes predictable one. Pixar played it safe. The characters however, are some of Pixar's deepest, most believable and loveable yet, made only more so by the excellent voice cast and fantastic animation. The excellent characterisation results in some of Pixar's most poignant, beautiful character moments to date, and there will be more than a few times you'll wipe tears from your eyes. The plot might be a familiar setup, but the characters and their relationships and their triumphs and tragedies is what Brave is REALLY about. Expand
  14. Jul 3, 2012
    While this is not Pixar's greatest film. It looks incredible and the simple story allows the tension and depth of the characters show through. Every character is given room to breathe, and the story is more fun and scary (at times) because of it. Very enjoyable.
  15. Jul 2, 2012
    Gorgeous, but shallow. While visually stunning -- Pixar really outdid themselves with the animation -- the storyline is cliched and unremarkable. There are some great moments, but this film isn't nearly as moving as some of Pixar's other works. The voice acting is solid, the music is great, but they could have done so much more with the story.
  16. Jul 2, 2012
    BRAVE is an amazing, emotional and funny movie!!! I really loved it! It is the best animated film i have seen all year!! What i love most about this movie is that even if Merida is a princess, she is not a classic one. AMAZING MOVIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  17. Jul 2, 2012
    hmm, idk what about it, but i just didn't like it. i found the story a bit bland, and the adds advertise it as something else then it is. its told to be a fable-fantasy movie, but then it turns out to be one of those story's were someone finds out how important family is (and of course everything is the same in the end) however, the details in the graphics were inexpressive, however, i didhmm, idk what about it, but i just didn't like it. i found the story a bit bland, and the adds advertise it as something else then it is. its told to be a fable-fantasy movie, but then it turns out to be one of those story's were someone finds out how important family is (and of course everything is the same in the end) however, the details in the graphics were inexpressive, however, i did not come to the movie to see graphics. i came for a story, however, i did not get that as much as it was promised. the add showed the funniest and most action filled moments. with kind of changed my expectations in the movie. so don't come into it expecting a comedy, or an action film. expect a Disney story. Expand
  18. Jul 2, 2012
    I give this movie a 5 because I feel it had a very mediocre plot and screenwriting. It just felt so 'on-par' as if it was written by a team of experts on how-to-make-successful-films. The emotional scenes are forced... the comedy is slapstick and shallow... one of the jokes felt pulled directly out of the Shrek franchise- You'll know it when you see it.

Overall lack of depth and

Overall lack of depth and effort. It is way too easy to use animation like autotune to mask what is actually an "O-Kay" movie as a masterpiece.
  19. Jul 1, 2012
    Meh!

This does NOT feel like a Pixar movie. It feels like a Dreamworks movie, with less schticky humor. I thought it would have the animation style of Tangled... but Tangled had better animation and 3D models. Not impressed. It's Pixar doing Dreamworks animation and barely making the cut.
  20. Jun 30, 2012
    This movie looks wonderful. Unfortunately, that is all it has going for it. Ultimately, Brave is an empty experience. The problem with it lies in the fact that it doesn't really have a point; it has no heart. It feels like they just kind of made a movie without any real thought to how to make it a story worth telling.
  21. Jun 29, 2012
    I found this movie extremely refreshing. Seldom in 'hero' stories are audiences allowed a female lead, and while Merida is a Disney princess, she is also the hero of her own story. It's also nice to see a mother-daughter relationship explored in a children's movie. Brave has plenty of laughs and charm for the whole family, and the breathtaking scenery (and hair rendering!) are a must-see.I found this movie extremely refreshing. Seldom in 'hero' stories are audiences allowed a female lead, and while Merida is a Disney princess, she is also the hero of her own story. It's also nice to see a mother-daughter relationship explored in a children's movie. Brave has plenty of laughs and charm for the whole family, and the breathtaking scenery (and hair rendering!) are a must-see. It's nice that the previews didn't give away the main plot, and while the movie carries similar themes as other Disney films, this one feels new. Expand
  22. Jun 28, 2012
    An improved Scottish version of Brother Bear, but disappointingly does not live up to expectations. The movie is enjoyable, but just not up to par with other Pixar films.
  23. Jun 27, 2012
    I've been a Pixar whore for years. I got on my knees anytime they said go. Then they made Cars 2 and broke my heart. Brave was better than Cars 2. Prettier too. But, damn it, something was missing. I'm not willing to get back on my knees just yet. http://dudebroreviews.wordpress.com/
  24. Jun 27, 2012
    The newest Pixar film seems much more like a pure Disney film, and feels as if Pixar had really nothing to do with it other then the animation. Does this mean it's not a good movie? Definitely not; in fact, it's quite good. A very heartwarming and enchanting tale of one of Disney's finest heroines comes to life in one of this years best animated films (Oscar nomination? I think so.)The newest Pixar film seems much more like a pure Disney film, and feels as if Pixar had really nothing to do with it other then the animation. Does this mean it's not a good movie? Definitely not; in fact, it's quite good. A very heartwarming and enchanting tale of one of Disney's finest heroines comes to life in one of this years best animated films (Oscar nomination? I think so.) Though, as I said, it does not feel like a Pixar movie - it is still one of their best ones yet. So thumbs up for Brave. Expand
  25. Jun 27, 2012
    Brave is a good film that is a blast while your watching it but after you feel as though all will soon be forgotten. This is a result of characters that are not memorable and a message that is cliches and that you've seen in plenty of Disney movies. Because of pixar's masterpieces I feel as though this film should have been better, but it is still good none the less.
  26. Jun 27, 2012
    Better than Cars 2 and Cars. The movie's special effects are new to Pixar but great nonetheless. A fantastic introduction to Future Female Pixar heroines.
  27. Jun 27, 2012
    Brave is a fine film. It strikes a strong touching note in the end as many Pixar films do. Is the story original? No....and yes. It has strong echoes of Brother Bear, which is the finer film, but the bond between mother and daughter is explored here and in much more depth. Merida is a good Disney princess.....a no-nonsense strong girl that refuses to take the path that so many expect herBrave is a fine film. It strikes a strong touching note in the end as many Pixar films do. Is the story original? No....and yes. It has strong echoes of Brother Bear, which is the finer film, but the bond between mother and daughter is explored here and in much more depth. Merida is a good Disney princess.....a no-nonsense strong girl that refuses to take the path that so many expect her to take. In many ways, she is one of the strongest and most realistic Disney princesses we've seen in a long time. Expand
  28. Jun 26, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. What does Merida do that is so brave? She scurries around looking for the witch Expand
  29. Jun 26, 2012
    Perspective: i'm not a fan of Scottish lore

Expectations: pretty low, since all i want from Pixar at the moment is Incredibles 2 Delivery: Brave starts out touching all of the typical "rebellious princess" plot points to establish the setting. It starts to deviate into a slightly original delivery (in delivery, yes. content? not so much) The action is exciting enough, the humor is
    Perspective: i'm not a fan of Scottish lore

Delivery: Brave starts out touching all of the typical "rebellious princess" plot points to establish the setting. It starts to deviate into a slightly original delivery (in delivery, yes. content? not so much) The action is exciting enough, the humor is on point, very likable cast of characters. The animation is ridiculous, there were times i would simply focus on Princess Merida's flaming red hair.

Save for a few deviations from the norm, Brave is a typical Princess story, but it's a GOOD story (The revelations in the 2nd act are particularly rewarding) it has enough charm and emotion to hold me over until a particular Pixar sequel comes to light
  30. Jun 26, 2012
    It's no Up, but Brave is a sweet movie with good humor. It is also a good mother-daughter film, a nice experience considering there are so many excellent father-son movies out there.

1. Reviewed by: Ian Nathan
    Aug 12, 2012
    No less lovely than former films, in many ways lovelier, but Brave is boutique Pixar: less ambitious, more succinct, excellence at a lower ebb.
  2. Reviewed by: Ben Child
    Jun 25, 2012
    For the animation studio's debut foray into fairytale, Pixar has delivered a rousing family melodrama.
  3. Reviewed by: Stephanie Zacharek
    Jun 25, 2012
    My heart belongs to Bear Elinor, whose movements and mannerisms are a tender echo of Human Elinor's – her character is designed and drawn just that carefully.