8.6

1. May 16, 2013
    the best movie ever it was everthing good in a movie and if you give this movie lower than a 9 than you dont know good movies alright dont listen to those haters to this movie mel gibson was amazing in this movie and he is the best actor ever
  2. HeatherE
    Jan 19, 2009
    A Destiny Written In A Battle For Honor-
  3. Jul 29, 2011
    One Of The Greatest Films Ever Made In The History Of Ciema.Braveheart Is Truly A Great Film,Action Sequences Were Superb So Was Music So Was The Film
  4. Aug 27, 2010
    As far as epics go, Mel Gibson aims for a sprawling vision in the likes of David Lean. However, by putting antics before aesthetics, 'Braveheart' is at its core not much more than a glorified melodrama - not necessarily a bad thing (it just makes the surplus of sentimental moments painful to sit through)
  5. RDN
    Jun 3, 2005
    The problem is, people will start to believe this historical nonsense. But it keeps the Scots angry at the English, so it can't be all bad.
  6. WA
    Jun 2, 2007
    Battle scenes that cross the line from realism to pure comedy, plus more cheese then Wisconsin and more corn than Iowa. Music is good though.
  7. BobS.
    Jun 23, 2006
    1 for cheek. Ludicrous - Mel Gibson should not be allowed out with millions of dollars to spend without proper guidance.
  8. VladTheImpaler
    Aug 21, 2004
    Pretty much the worst recent example of a genre.
  9. KeirB
    Jul 11, 2008
    Great music, and Cinematography. The irony of this film is that Mel Gibson preaches the importance of freedom, yet could care less if Jewish and homosexuals are denied theirs.
  10. Dec 10, 2010
    'Braveheart' means well, provides a few emotionally wrenching segments, and won't disappoint gore fans, but the film's content will make historians feel sick to their stomachs.
  11. Feb 9, 2012
    A complete masterpiece. A fantastic movie about honor and fighting for your freedom. This movie made me cry, laugh, and scream for joy. It is an incredible inspirational underdog story about fighting for freedom. Mel Gibson makes another fantastic movie and is amazing in it too. I was so moved by this movie and it will be in my favorites for a long long time. HIGHLY recmmend!
  12. MattJ.
    Mar 6, 2007
    Utterly stunning, a motion picture for the ages.
  13. TelyS.
    Feb 7, 2004
    A glorious revelry in pure masculine pride with passion and poetry to spare.
  14. aboozarm
    Jan 5, 2005
    The best movie that i have ever seen.
  15. aboozarm
    Jul 3, 2005
    The best movie that i have ever seen.
  16. KonokoS.
    Apr 4, 2002
    This is the best movie I have ever seen!
  17. BillS.
    Jul 13, 2002
    I have the VHS, have since 1997 and still watch the movie a couple of times a year.
  18. MattiM.
    Aug 4, 2003
    Englishmen suck!!!!
  19. DaveC.
    Oct 24, 2004
    Often hagiographic, sentimental and bigotted (every Englishman is devoid of mercy or humanity, expecially King Edward's gay son, every Scotsman is a tough, macho hero) Braveheart nevertheless works thanks to the sheer passion that has gone into it. Battle sequences are well executed, Mel Gibson delivers the performance of his career and the film is directed with remarkable energy.
  20. DaveW.
    Mar 8, 2006
    Absolutly amazing!! a true patriotic film, every time i return to scotland and every hogmany festivle we watch this, iv never seen so many grown men cry at the end of a film!
  21. FelixQ.
    Jul 25, 2006
    Oh man. The one thing about this movie that just rubbed me the wrong way was the [***SPOILERS***] one thing that spoiled the whole thing for me- the whole thing is about his obsessive love for his first love, and avenging her- then he goes and sleeps with someone else and STILL her ghost meets him at his demise? Sure it's human, and not a big thing in practical terms, but when the Oh man. The one thing about this movie that just rubbed me the wrong way was the [***SPOILERS***] one thing that spoiled the whole thing for me- the whole thing is about his obsessive love for his first love, and avenging her- then he goes and sleeps with someone else and STILL her ghost meets him at his demise? Sure it's human, and not a big thing in practical terms, but when the entire movie is about this unrelenting passion for one woman, then veering from that compromises the integrity of the story itself. Expand
  22. OscarC.
    Oct 19, 2001
    This is what we are looking for in a movie, entertainment, romance, inspiration. A great movie, for a great actor and in a great moment.
  23. Brent
    Oct 2, 2001
    An excellent movie with a classic script.
  24. PaulaD.
    Jul 30, 2003
    This is the best movie ever made.
  25. PatC.
    Jan 7, 2004
    No No No No No. This was not the best picture of the year. This was Mad Max in a kilt. The best actors were all part of the English royalty. The English and Scots fought for centuries to control their shared island. To this day the question remains, why?
  26. ViktorW.
    Mar 31, 2004
    One of the best movies ever!!!
  27. DavidJ.
    May 23, 2004
    This is a great relatively accurate historical movie where they aren't afraid to show violence and the way war was fought in the medieval era.
  28. PattyS.
    Dec 8, 2005
    This movie offers it all: action, romance, intellect, suspense and drama. My favorite movie by far.
  29. MuratS.
    Mar 27, 2005
    When the words are not enough, you should be in the silence. However I do not believe we can award this movie with points. It would be so unfair. When we think about space, that has no end, this movie is same, it has not an end neither.
  30. georgec.
    Jun 19, 2005
    I'm hooked when ever I see it. Its an inspirational movie, well like all Mel Gibson ones. KEEP IT UP, I wish that me & my family meet you in person.
  31. JayD.
    Apr 28, 2006
    I was curious to see what this movie was ranked by critics and normal folk alike. I must say that I am shocked to see it only getting a 66 by critics. Wow! Shame on some of you. In addition, I certainly don't feel like I need to comment on this movie; the people with good taste have already done that for me.
  32. Reikon
    Aug 12, 2006
    This movie has it all, drama, action, romance....the best movie i have ever seen, and with the best soudtrack I have ever heard.
  33. PierreC
    Dec 3, 2007
    When I rate a movie, I try to imagine the best possible scenario for that movie. Everything from the acting (e.g. Tom Hanks) to the cinematography was spectacular. I could honestly not imagine it done differently. It's an inspirational and captivating film that everyone should watch in their lifetime. Pure gold!
  34. SamaraR.
    Apr 22, 2007
    This movie is a spectacular representation of what actually happened and is awesome to watch. It is intruiging and gory.. I love it!!
  35. DanD.
    Oct 24, 2001
    So addictive. You want more when it ends after 3 hours!
  36. ToriD.
    May 16, 2002
    Who could deny liking this movie?? It's one of those touching movies that leave you wanting "freedom" yourself.
  37. Pisces
    Jun 18, 2003
    This movie is about Courage, Love, Passion and above all Freedom, which can only be conquered when a person is brave enough to listen to his/her heart. I feel sorry for those who didn't get the message...
  38. DaveB.
    Feb 25, 2004
    This movie gets a ten for sure. its breathtaking & exhillerating fight scenes take your breath away!
  39. BillyK.
    Nov 21, 2006
    This is one of the best movies ever made. Gibson is a true genius. He not only does a magneficent job as William Wallace, he directs and guides the film with such beauty and passion.
    Nov 17, 2005
    The battles are suprisingly good, even without CGI, and the violence is satisfying. It's more about standing up for ideals, the difficulties of doing so, and how your ideals influence others, which is pretty interesting and refers to even today's situations. It doesn't always resonate as it should, though, and LOTR has bypassed this epic in almost every category, but The battles are suprisingly good, even without CGI, and the violence is satisfying. It's more about standing up for ideals, the difficulties of doing so, and how your ideals influence others, which is pretty interesting and refers to even today's situations. It doesn't always resonate as it should, though, and LOTR has bypassed this epic in almost every category, but Braveheart is still a strong entry in the genre. Expand
  41. Nov 12, 2010
    Mel Gibson's great performance
  42. Oct 8, 2012
    Braveheart is a very nice tale of oppressed Scottish folk standing up to the tyrannical English. It works in all the right places and succeeds despite historical inaccuracies and slightly over-the-top sentimentality. Kudos for having bloody battle sequences that still shock a good 18 years after the film was made!
  43. Jan 8, 2011
    Nice movie. It will be a classic in the future. Great story and very well played by Mel Gibson. Nice music.
  44. Oct 24, 2011
    Although the historical accuracy is questionable there is no doubting that this is an epic movie that will become a classic along the lines of Zulu as time passes, however the movie is driven by the superb fight scenes which feel raw, brutal and savage. The storyline is solid and the acting is excellent and overall this film is a great way to pass a rainy day.
  45. Mar 2, 2014
    Braveheart is a superb film, which goes under your skin and really fascinates. Great soundtrack and the battle sequences are among the best even today and the fact that the movie is actually 20 years old just shows how good they are.
  46. Jul 21, 2012
    one of the best fiction based on a historical event! Superlike for acting,story,photography,music and thrill that truly connects with audience. hats off mel
  47. Mar 15, 2014
    While the movie is still fun and story relevant. I always question the validity exactly of these "Based on true stories" where one side is almost comedically evil and the other fights for good. In the end the plot is still fine, the fights are beginning to look dated. The effects are ok, but with the LOTR movies, the battles seem like they got like 200 extras, dressed them up, and toldWhile the movie is still fun and story relevant. I always question the validity exactly of these "Based on true stories" where one side is almost comedically evil and the other fights for good. In the end the plot is still fine, the fights are beginning to look dated. The effects are ok, but with the LOTR movies, the battles seem like they got like 200 extras, dressed them up, and told them to mess around with fake swords. Still a good film in all, but the grand scale that made it so great when I was a kid, just doesn't hold up. Expand
  48. Dec 30, 2011
    Great movie. Also the soundtrack is very nice. Mel Gibson is a great producer.
    The best movie in his genre. Anyway the best battle fights in all time, even gladiator and Lord of the Rings the big battles are not as great as in Braveheart.
  49. Jan 5, 2012
    Braveheart was an epic. It was the high point of Mel Gibson's career as both an actor and director. Though it is not historically accurate, there is some truth to the storyline and the characters, and that truth is enough to build a wonderful movie that has left viewers spellbound since 1995. People are still spellbound and its close to seventeen years later and Braveheart is still aBraveheart was an epic. It was the high point of Mel Gibson's career as both an actor and director. Though it is not historically accurate, there is some truth to the storyline and the characters, and that truth is enough to build a wonderful movie that has left viewers spellbound since 1995. People are still spellbound and its close to seventeen years later and Braveheart is still a household name and is a first experience epic for most children. This movie combines the blood and gore of a war movie with the intense plot line of a drama. It is a work of art to say the least. Braveheart will go down in history as one of the greatest movies ever made. Expand
  50. Feb 13, 2012
    Although it may be historically inaccurate, Braveheart is a very compelling and memorable film. The acting, story, and war scenes are great. Definitely one of my favorite movies.
  51. Aug 28, 2014
    It's long, violent and quite the journey... but that's what an epic is. Mel Gibson is memorable as the lead, but should've made some necessary cuts. Storytelling done correctly can be incredibly powerful. Unfortunately, one cannot do so without knowing what to share and what not to.
  52. Apr 4, 2012
    This movie is flat out sick and disgusting but it had a compelling story and Mel Gibson gave a great performance. The movie was a little long and a bit boring at times though.
  53. Jul 24, 2014
    This one is certainly quite an epic and, for the most part, is very successful. The acting is good throughout, the action is very exciting and well done, the score is great, and the cinematography is gorgeous. The costumes are also very well done, even if completely historically inaccurate. The length is also very much justified as there is always enough going on to keep you fully wrappedThis one is certainly quite an epic and, for the most part, is very successful. The acting is good throughout, the action is very exciting and well done, the score is great, and the cinematography is gorgeous. The costumes are also very well done, even if completely historically inaccurate. The length is also very much justified as there is always enough going on to keep you fully wrapped up in the proceedings. However, even though all of those things are good to great, there is enough going wrong to take away from the overall product. Firstly, the violence, though not graphic, is entirely numbing. There is just too much of it and by the end, it loses all of its impact as you are so desensitized to it. Also, I just struggled as times with Mel Gibson here. He just does not look right, he just seems so out of place here. His acting was good and all, but I think somebody else could have fit the look better. Finally, the historical inaccuracies are bad. This is not inaccurate like a film like Inglourious Basterds is inaccurate, as that one has no false pretense of accuracy and is very much theatrical and gloriously inaccurate. Here, Braveheart does not necessarily pass itself off as accurate, but it certainly would like you to believe that it is and I simply cannot do so. If it was only a little inaccurate, then ok, but the blatant disregard for what happens is annoying to say the least. Overall, Braveheart is a pretty good film and is certainly worth a watch. Expand
  54. Nov 9, 2012
    Just really good. You take an intriguing story from history, mix it together with a camera, some fine actors, a pinch of badassery supplied by one Mel Gibson and a heavy infusion of thought, care and execution and you get something really rewarding.
  55. Dec 20, 2012
    I don't think that this movie deserves a 10, but it doesn't deserve a 0 either, I agree with some of the critics about the battles, the first time that I saw the movie I noticed how the swords, axes, and all other weapons or armor that were supposed to be metallic were plastic it was kind of funny. Now this movie was never sold to the people as a documentary but as a movie, trying toI don't think that this movie deserves a 10, but it doesn't deserve a 0 either, I agree with some of the critics about the battles, the first time that I saw the movie I noticed how the swords, axes, and all other weapons or armor that were supposed to be metallic were plastic it was kind of funny. Now this movie was never sold to the people as a documentary but as a movie, trying to represent Wallace's life, don't expect from a movie strict adherence to history, it has to have something that is exaggerated or not too precise. And talking about the romance on the movie which I thought that it was properly handled you got to admit that behind every man there is a love story. Gibson gives a great performance. Expand
  56. Dec 13, 2012
    Braveheart deserves 100/100 rating. This movie is incredible with its natural and emotional scenes, with epic battles, sieges and ambushes. It might be not quite right historically but as movie it is perfect, so I see no reason not to rate it 10.
  57. Jul 10, 2013
    Regardless of the fact that it may not be factually accurate this film is still an epic piece of screenplay. I can't fault it and it has been my one of my all time favourite films since it's release.
  58. Jul 18, 2013
    A film full of so much heart, emotion, well written script, amazing acting, beautiful music and scenery is packed into this amazing film with such elegance and style. No wonder it won Best Film of 1995. A beautifully motivating film. Beautiful.
  59. Mar 10, 2015
    Great movie! It really gives you a sense of history and what it was like to live in those days, even though the Scottish weren't wearing kilts until years after.
  60. Jul 9, 2014
    Braveheart is an awesome film. It tells a story how Scots became free. Acting is on the highest level, Mel Gibson raised to the challenge too and his acting is also outstanding. In this film is not missing extremely breathtaking scenes. Slow motion scenes are remarkably well made and fit to moments in the film. The film has a brilliant soundtrack. Wounds and scenes of battles are intenselyBraveheart is an awesome film. It tells a story how Scots became free. Acting is on the highest level, Mel Gibson raised to the challenge too and his acting is also outstanding. In this film is not missing extremely breathtaking scenes. Slow motion scenes are remarkably well made and fit to moments in the film. The film has a brilliant soundtrack. Wounds and scenes of battles are intensely realistic. I can't understand how director, Mel Gibson, made it. I honestly recommend this superb film. Expand
  61. chw
    Sep 14, 2014
    Braveheart was amazing. Not at all a waste of time, even coming from Mel Gibson, who stars and directs the film. He's definitely done his very best here.
  62. May 9, 2014
    A masterpiece. Makes me feel an entire range of emotions. It made me laugh, cry and cheer on William Wallace and there resistance as they went into battle. It has everything a good film should contain and it's damn entertaining for 3 hour flick. One of the best film ever, a must see.
  63. Jun 2, 2014
    William Wallace/ Braveheart

William Wallace/ Braveheart

The movie Brave heart is an epic story based on true historical events. In the late 1200 a boy named William Wallace was born. After the English takes his land kills his brother, father, and wife he begins a revolt. This revolution ends up taking on epic proportions. The reason this revolution becomes so powerful is mainly because of William Wallace. He just is a motivational leader and his undying belief in freedom is contagious. In fact before one of the bigger battles of the movie Wallace makes the quote, “Sure I’d love to settle down, have a farm, and raise a family. But I can’t do any of that, not without the English taking it. I’m willing to lay down my life for others so that they may live the dream that I have. ” It was his belief in freedom and a land of their own that helps him lead his troops so well.
    Not only is the plot amazing, but the actors who preform it are truly stunning. Throughout the movie you can feel it, as Mel Gibson (William Wallace) yearns for a better life. Every time Wallace loses someone you care about you can feel the pain in your heart too. Also when Wallace was betrayed to the English you felt everything in you die a little bit. This movie and the actors within it really help you respect and treasure the freedom we have now. It was because of great men like William Wallace that anyone has any true freedom.
    The impact of this movie is incredible. I can guarantee that anyone who sees this movie will have a hard time not screaming freedom randomly. Personally I felt that all the themes of this movie were life changing, and impacted the way I’ll think of day to day life forever. In my opinion the only place this movie fell short was it wasn’t long enough. I would advise anyone who wants to live life to its fullest to watch this movie.
    -Patrick Brooks
  64. Jun 3, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The review I am writing is on "Brave Heart" a movie based on the true events of William Wallace's life and the Scotish revolution. This story was writen by Randall Wallace and directed by Mel Gibson who also plays the main character, William Wallace, in this story. William experiences tragedy at a young age when he walks into a house filled with murrdered Scottish nobles, killed by King Henry Longshanks (played by Patrick McGoohan). Then again when his family is kill while trying to confront the king, and once again when he was an adult his family was taken away after the English try to rape his wife and then sentence her to death for assaulting a Brtish soldier. This infuriates Wallace and makes him seek revenge on the English through a crusade if violence and warfare. He is detrimental to this story because without Wallace the Scottish revolution would have never happened. I empathize deeply with Wallace and his loss he loses his family twice to a king he never pledged as his own. The main theme of the story is the idea freedom, you will probably hear him say that word more times than you can count throughout the movie. The theme of freedom in the movie helps drive Wallace to his goals and it was pulled off rather nicely, Gibson's performance makes the audience wish that they could do something in the world to stop opreshion of anyone. Gibson took a very dramatic approach to filming this movie with amazing battle sceenes and intense, dramatic diolage. The big impact this movie has on the world is to help people believe that one man can change the world and the importance of equality. As a person of Celtic ansestory I may have a bias but I truly believe that this movie inspires everyone who watches it to go out and make a difference in the world and try to others around them. I enjoyed this movie for it's raw story telling, everything felt natural and realistic nothing was forced onto the audience or was compleatly unbelievable. Expand
  65. Aug 30, 2014
    this movie, made me cry, it made me cry tears of joy. I'm a grown ass man, but this movie man, this movie just cant allow you to comprehend how amazingly brilliant it is. it makes me cry with such happiness because this movie made me feel, like i was Wallace himself. if anything, we need a movie with as much 'epicness' to make this world know, when we say movies, we mean business. FOR FATthis movie, made me cry, it made me cry tears of joy. I'm a grown ass man, but this movie man, this movie just cant allow you to comprehend how amazingly brilliant it is. it makes me cry with such happiness because this movie made me feel, like i was Wallace himself. if anything, we need a movie with as much 'epicness' to make this world know, when we say movies, we mean business. FOR FAT PEOPLE RIGHTS!!! Expand
  66. Dec 3, 2014
    mel gibson gives the performance of his carrer in this unforgettable classic. The movie will give you goosebumps and man who wants a basic easy life ends up fighting against the english with his fello scots for scotland to be free
  67. May 30, 2015
    Braveheart: "Every man dies. Not every man truly lives." From beginning to end I found this to be a perfect movie. This film is full of heart, violence, hope, loss, love and passion.

1. Reviewed by: Sean Means
    Gibson's raw energy and storytelling power in Braveheart are undeniable. If the film doesn't meet his ambitions, it's because he set the bar so high.
  2. Reviewed by: Richard Schickel
    Braveheart is too much, too late.
  3. Reviewed by: Peter Rainer
    Never tries to confuse our loyalties or question the strategies of our hero or bring home the all-embracing soul-destroying horrors of war for all sides. Braveheart may be rip-roaring, but it isn't all that brave.