8.5

1. Aug 27, 2010
    As far as epics go, Mel Gibson aims for a sprawling vision in the likes of David Lean. However, by putting antics before aesthetics, 'Braveheart' is at its core not much more than a glorified melodrama - not necessarily a bad thing (it just makes the surplus of sentimental moments painful to sit through)
  2. Jul 18, 2011
    this "movie" totally disappointed me. totally. i feel awful about the storyline, especially how it mixed romances like trainwrecks :( awful awful awful
  3. Sep 26, 2011
    reeks of pathos and cheese. not to mention it completely gave up historic accuracy for dramatic effect. sure, there are worse, but simply for the fact it won the most undeserved oscars in history, I have to give it a 0.
  4. Dec 10, 2010
    'Braveheart' means well, provides a few emotionally wrenching segments, and won't disappoint gore fans, but the film's content will make historians feel sick to their stomachs.
  5. Nov 12, 2010
    Mel Gibson's great performance
  6. Oct 8, 2012
    Braveheart is a very nice tale of oppressed Scottish folk standing up to the tyrannical English. It works in all the right places and succeeds despite historical inaccuracies and slightly over-the-top sentimentality. Kudos for having bloody battle sequences that still shock a good 18 years after the film was made!
  7. Jan 8, 2011
    Nice movie. It will be a classic in the future. Great story and very well played by Mel Gibson. Nice music.
  8. Oct 24, 2011
    Although the historical accuracy is questionable there is no doubting that this is an epic movie that will become a classic along the lines of Zulu as time passes, however the movie is driven by the superb fight scenes which feel raw, brutal and savage. The storyline is solid and the acting is excellent and overall this film is a great way to pass a rainy day.
  9. Jul 29, 2011
    One Of The Greatest Films Ever Made In The History Of Ciema.Braveheart Is Truly A Great Film,Action Sequences Were Superb So Was Music So Was The Film
  10. Mar 2, 2014
    Braveheart is a superb film, which goes under your skin and really fascinates. Great soundtrack and the battle sequences are among the best even today and the fact that the movie is actually 20 years old just shows how good they are.
  11. Feb 9, 2012
    A complete masterpiece. A fantastic movie about honor and fighting for your freedom. This movie made me cry, laugh, and scream for joy. It is an incredible inspirational underdog story about fighting for freedom. Mel Gibson makes another fantastic movie and is amazing in it too. I was so moved by this movie and it will be in my favorites for a long long time. HIGHLY recmmend!
  12. Jul 21, 2012
    one of the best fiction based on a historical event! Superlike for acting,story,photography,music and thrill that truly connects with audience. hats off mel
  13. Mar 15, 2014
    While the movie is still fun and story relevant. I always question the validity exactly of these "Based on true stories" where one side is almost comedically evil and the other fights for good. In the end the plot is still fine, the fights are beginning to look dated. The effects are ok, but with the LOTR movies, the battles seem like they got like 200 extras, dressed them up, and told them to mess around with fake swords. Still a good film in all, but the grand scale that made it so great when I was a kid, just doesn't hold up. Expand
  14. Dec 30, 2011
    Great movie. Also the soundtrack is very nice. Mel Gibson is a great producer.
    The best movie in his genre. Anyway the best battle fights in all time, even gladiator and Lord of the Rings the big battles are not as great as in Braveheart.
  15. Jan 5, 2012
    Braveheart was an epic. It was the high point of Mel Gibson's career as both an actor and director. Though it is not historically accurate, there is some truth to the storyline and the characters, and that truth is enough to build a wonderful movie that has left viewers spellbound since 1995. People are still spellbound and its close to seventeen years later and Braveheart is still a household name and is a first experience epic for most children. This movie combines the blood and gore of a war movie with the intense plot line of a drama. It is a work of art to say the least. Braveheart will go down in history as one of the greatest movies ever made. Expand
  16. Feb 13, 2012
    Although it may be historically inaccurate, Braveheart is a very compelling and memorable film. The acting, story, and war scenes are great. Definitely one of my favorite movies.
  17. Apr 18, 2012
    Historically incorrect, jingoistic, over acted, stupid charaterisations, ridiculous and childish script and an aging, tired lead with bouffant hair and bad makeup. Can the Yanks make a more awful movie? Sadly, the answer is yes, yes, yes! The Academy Awards just made fools of themselves again with this one.
  18. Apr 4, 2012
    This movie is flat out sick and disgusting but it had a compelling story and Mel Gibson gave a great performance. The movie was a little long and a bit boring at times though.
  19. Nov 9, 2012
    Just really good. You take an intriguing story from history, mix it together with a camera, some fine actors, a pinch of badassery supplied by one Mel Gibson and a heavy infusion of thought, care and execution and you get something really rewarding.
  20. Dec 20, 2012
    I don't think that this movie deserves a 10, but it doesn't deserve a 0 either, I agree with some of the critics about the battles, the first time that I saw the movie I noticed how the swords, axes, and all other weapons or armor that were supposed to be metallic were plastic it was kind of funny. Now this movie was never sold to the people as a documentary but as a movie, trying to represent Wallace's life, don't expect from a movie strict adherence to history, it has to have something that is exaggerated or not too precise. And talking about the romance on the movie which I thought that it was properly handled you got to admit that behind every man there is a love story. Gibson gives a great performance. Expand
  21. Dec 13, 2012
    Braveheart deserves 100/100 rating. This movie is incredible with its natural and emotional scenes, with epic battles, sieges and ambushes. It might be not quite right historically but as movie it is perfect, so I see no reason not to rate it 10.
  22. May 16, 2013
    the best movie ever it was everthing good in a movie and if you give this movie lower than a 9 than you dont know good movies alright dont listen to those haters to this movie mel gibson was amazing in this movie and he is the best actor ever
  23. Jul 10, 2013
    Regardless of the fact that it may not be factually accurate this film is still an epic piece of screenplay. I can't fault it and it has been my one of my all time favourite films since it's release.
  24. Jul 18, 2013
    A film full of so much heart, emotion, well written script, amazing acting, beautiful music and scenery is packed into this amazing film with such elegance and style. No wonder it won Best Film of 1995. A beautifully motivating film. Beautiful.

1. Reviewed by: Sean Means
    Gibson's raw energy and storytelling power in Braveheart are undeniable. If the film doesn't meet his ambitions, it's because he set the bar so high.
  2. Reviewed by: Richard Schickel
    Braveheart is too much, too late.
  3. Reviewed by: Peter Rainer
    Never tries to confuse our loyalties or question the strategies of our hero or bring home the all-embracing soul-destroying horrors of war for all sides. Braveheart may be rip-roaring, but it isn't all that brave.