4.1

1. Feb 12, 2012
    Besides the huge amount of cliches and the large lack of laughs, along with the self referential story; the film has a surprising amount of heart, and solid performances from Anne Hathaway and Kate Hudson. I give this movie 36%.
  2. Jun 28, 2013
    I wonder how i even managed to sit through this. Once again Anne represents why she is horrible. This is a career killer along with that French musical trash she made
  3. ChadS.
    Jan 10, 2009
    With a friend like Liv(Kate Hudson), who needs enemies? With a friend like Emma(Anne Hathaway), who needs enemies? Therein lies the fundamental problem of "Bride Wars". Since this idiom applies to both women, the audience has no rooting interest. In a galaxy far, far away, women act irrationally towards each other to such an absurd degree, it's equally irrational, equally absurd that With a friend like Liv(Kate Hudson), who needs enemies? With a friend like Emma(Anne Hathaway), who needs enemies? Therein lies the fundamental problem of "Bride Wars". Since this idiom applies to both women, the audience has no rooting interest. In a galaxy far, far away, women act irrationally towards each other to such an absurd degree, it's equally irrational, equally absurd that they should kiss and make up, without even the stopgap measure of a truce before the ironclad reconciliation. That galaxy is the prefabricated world of "Bride Wars", where weddings are a rite of passage for women with late-blooming arrested development, and short, very short memories. Women like Emma and Liz don't exist; they're not recognizably human(blue hair is not something any woman would forget, not even temporarily), therefore, not the least bit funny(utilizing a blouse as some turban to hide the blue hair is not a choice any sensible woman would make). "Bride Wars" plays like a chick flick with the DNA of a black comedy. The moment Emma decides against moving her wedding date for the more successful friend(Liv is a lawyer), "Bride Wars" circuitously references "Beaches" with the schoolteacher's refusal to be the wind beneath the other bride's wings, and beaches "Beaches" by being the anti-"Beaches", with its feel-bad hijinks. The audience should be on Emma's side, but she loses them, with this ugly putdown: "Your wedding will be big, like your ass on prom night." In a mainstream comedy, it's probably a mistake that Emma should be this unsympathetic; the antithesis of the middle school teacher in Sarah Shun-lien Bynum's novel "Ms. Hempel Chronicles". When both women were adolescents, Liv probably started off as the smart one, while Emma was the pretty one; then Liz lost weight and the agency of their friendship switched hands. In the opening scene, the two girls play bride and groom, and Emma is the groom, the man in the relationship. Emma fattens Liv up with treats to reverse time, so the lawyer can be her fat wife again, and regain that long-lost agency in their adult selves. After all, this insulting, misogynistic film depicts both women as children, anyway. Expand
  4. MarkB.
    Jan 23, 2009
    Regarding the three weddings I served as best man for, all three couples eschewed a big, elaborate, expensive wedding. Two of them had small, private ceremonies at home for family and a few close friends; the third opted for a justice of the peace. In all three cases the logic was that the money would be better spent on: a.) starting a new life together; b.) a great honeymoon, or c.) Regarding the three weddings I served as best man for, all three couples eschewed a big, elaborate, expensive wedding. Two of them had small, private ceremonies at home for family and a few close friends; the third opted for a justice of the peace. In all three cases the logic was that the money would be better spent on: a.) starting a new life together; b.) a great honeymoon, or c.) both. Smart people, they. Leaving aside obvious questions about the wisdom of paying for a gargantuan ceremony in today's economy (since, in all fairness, this movie probably sat on the shelf long before things started going seriously downhill), you have to ask whether the two "heroines" of this unbearable, laugh-free chick flick possess between them both the emotional maturity to cross the street unaided much less embark on an endeavor as difficult, challenging and all-consuming as a marriage if, although they're so-called best friends, they can't come up with a viable solution to having both their weddings accidentally scheduled on the same day other than pulling unceasingly despicable (and worse, unimaginative and unfunny) dirty tricks on each other? (Another of this toxic puffball's many inadvertent messages, grooms-to-be, is that if you dare to express an honest opinion to your fiancee, you do so at the risk of having the wedding called off. Lucky you!) It's a measure of how completely clueless Bride Wars is that the heartless screenwriters not only obviously don't care about the poor woman whose scheduling glitch gets her fired, but since she's neither wealthy nor a "hottie" like Kate Hudson or Anne Hathaway, we're not expected to care either, but what the heck is a good director like Gary Winick (the lovely remake of Charlotte's Web) doing here? One theory may be that his previous effort 13 Going on 30 depicted a driven businesswoman regressing to early adolescence and here Winick wanted to outdo himself by having TWO career gals behave like kindergarteners, but this would be an insult to kindergarteners everywhere. Anne Hathaway (God bless her) is a fine actress who has heretofore proven her ability to make unsympathetic characters at least understandable if not likable (as in Rachel Getting Married and Brokeback Mountain) so even this junk can't COMPLETELY defeat her, but Kate Hudson (God help her) is rapidly squandering the goodwill she built up seemingly an eternity ago in Cameron Crowe's Almost Famous. So which group of movies is easier to sit through, Kate's past year's output of Fool's Gold, My Best Friend's Girl and this...or her mom, Goldie Hawn's 1970s and 80s throwaway flicks Protocol, Overboard and The Girl From Petrovka? Simply put, mother knows best. Expand
  5. JackP.
    Jan 30, 2009
    For every other bad chick flick, this makes any of those formulaic films I despised look like a genius. There was not a second I was not cringing, and there was not a second I was laughing.
    Jan 9, 2009
    The worst movie of 2009, so far. And I have a feeling, due to how bad this film is, that that title may stick for all the remaining months to come.
  7. MirceaC.
    Feb 26, 2009
    This is torture.Ever since Sex and the City the movie I haven't seen something more stupid, sensless, numb and unfunny.
  8. Jun 10, 2011
    Bad. Re-he-he-healy bad. Story doesn't make sense, characters are unlikable and off putting, humor is tasteless and mean spirited and plot holes are a commonplace. Instead of the two brides fight, couldn't they just have a DOUBLE WEDDING!!?!!? They even mention it on the beginning of the film when they were children with the word "double wedding" completely and utterly mentioned. If thatBad. Re-he-he-healy bad. Story doesn't make sense, characters are unlikable and off putting, humor is tasteless and mean spirited and plot holes are a commonplace. Instead of the two brides fight, couldn't they just have a DOUBLE WEDDING!!?!!? They even mention it on the beginning of the film when they were children with the word "double wedding" completely and utterly mentioned. If that happened then the film would be finished straight away. Awful. Just awful Collapse
  9. Dec 13, 2010
    There is something hateful about this movie. Sure, our leading ladies look good on the outside, but underneath they are vindictive and cut throat. I am sure that seriousness about weddings was the intention, but it always seems to go too far...it's almost unsettling. That and am I the only one who thought Kate Hudson looked good with blue hair?
  10. Aug 25, 2011
    To spare you an experience that only I can only describe as being less preferable than colonic irrigation, let me describe to you Bride Wars in the best way I can: "Two awful women who are best friends, because awful people stick to their own kind, discover that they are getting married on the same day. After they both rapidly change into a harder level of awful human beings, the kind thatTo spare you an experience that only I can only describe as being less preferable than colonic irrigation, let me describe to you Bride Wars in the best way I can: "Two awful women who are best friends, because awful people stick to their own kind, discover that they are getting married on the same day. After they both rapidly change into a harder level of awful human beings, the kind that hate each other, they engage in 90 minutes of painfully unfunny sitcom set-ups, which we're supposed to enjoy because they are terrible people doing terrible things to each other. Then, contrivances arrive, patch everything up, and the movie ends with a BFF message, even though these two did horrible things to each other." Excuse, I'm going to ponder whether or not this job is worth it. Expand
  11. Feb 20, 2012
    I just wanted to rate the most awful film I've ever seen, stuck on a plane whith nothing else to watch. This is absurd, the two actress must be ashame of that movie and never presente it in their curriculum vitae.
  12. Feb 24, 2013
    Don't' let the unfavorable reviews fool you. Bride Wars is a decent Rom-Com with heart that's surprisingly entertaining. Plus, I love Anne Hathaway and Kate Hudson.
  13. Jun 5, 2014
    Two bi-polar woman with far too much money and time on their hands seek to destroy each others weddings through a series of photo montages and Candice Bergen's blathering narration.
  14. Nov 16, 2013
    Bride Wars leaves me fighting for survival.
    The movie isn't funny, rarely entertaining, and overall just bad. The acting is poor to average, and the concept is silly. The drama is overdone, and there is no substance whatsoever.

1. Bride Wars pretends to be a satire of wedding mania, but since there's virtually nothing else to the movie, the satire comes depressingly close to endorsement.
  2. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    A shrill, mechanical comedy.
    Bride Wars is pretty thin soup. The characters have no depth or personality, no quirks or complications, no conversation.