5.9

1. Nov 2, 2010
    I love Bill Murray. With that out of the way you might want to take my review with caution because it seems not everyone thinks this movie is great. I find slow depressing movies very touching and I simply like the way I feel and connect with these type of films. If you can relate to this then you need to go rent or even buy this movie ASAP.
  2. Apr 30, 2015
    This one is slow and I can get why the audience is a little mixed on it, but the critics hit this one right on. Bill Murray is excellent in this one, as is Jeffrey Wright in a supporting role. A tale about a man going on a journey to discover if he has a son and if so, which woman is the mother of that child, this one is simply a slice of life type of film. Nothing extraordinary happensThis one is slow and I can get why the audience is a little mixed on it, but the critics hit this one right on. Bill Murray is excellent in this one, as is Jeffrey Wright in a supporting role. A tale about a man going on a journey to discover if he has a son and if so, which woman is the mother of that child, this one is simply a slice of life type of film. Nothing extraordinary happens and it is debatable as to if anything happened at all. However, I really do enjoy these type of films for the insight they provide for the characters presented. In Broken Flowers, you really get to really understand Murray's character and his problems and really, you feel bad for him since he is so alone, though he has always been surrounded by people. In addition, Jim Jarmusch's direction is brilliant. He really manages to capture the beauty of life by emphasizing the beauty of the landscape that Murray transverses. Much like life, the beauty is in the details and this film really underscores that. A subtle film that is so subtle it will not really touch a lot of viewers, this one really was moving. On top of that, the comedic moments were well done and actually really funny, but you had to pay attention to catch them. As a whole, Broken Flowers is a very good film that works on multiple levels. Expand
  3. Mar 9, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. If you want a movie with no plot progression, setting, or acting this is a movie for you.
    If you ever wanted to watch Bill Murray sit on the couch silently for minutes at a time, you my friend are in for a treat.
    If you want to accentuate the monotony of life by watching a movie where nothing happens, and nobody goes anywhere and like life has no conclusions stop right here you found the one.
    If you want a movie that actually entertains then stop reading this and go find any other movie.

1. Reviewed by: David Ansen
    Funny, bittersweet, its understatement yielding surprising depth charges, Broken Flowers is a triumph of close observation and telling details.
    Broken Flowers may be too low-key for laugh junkies, but Jarmusch fills his sharply observed comedy with wonderful mischief. The mix of humor and heartbreak brings out the best in Murray.
  3. It skips merrily along the surface with its over-the-top vignettes but never seems to arrive at a destination. Nevertheless, the journey is more than half the fun as every actor attacks his role with relish.