Brotherhood of the Wolf

7.1

1. AadhaarV.
    Feb 8, 2003
    A truly stunning movie. One of the best films I have seen in a long time.
  2. J.A.
    Jan 19, 2002
    A stellar genre exercise and well worth seeing. Easily the best French-period-costume-drama-martial-arts-horror film ever made. A little overlong, but so was "Fellowship of the Ring." It was still great, and so is this.
  3. JohnT.
    Oct 20, 2002
    It far exceeds anything put out in the USA in the past year. Great all around movie.
  4. RossW.
    Jan 27, 2002
    This movie rocks! The fights are soo cool and stylish. Though some think it was a bit long and so was the story, however I thought they were just right.
  5. PeterS
    Mar 23, 2002
    Along with "Amelie" helps prove that French cinema is really getting serious. Simply brillant cinematography and fight scenes. Great if you want a movie to get wrapped up in without taking it too seriously.
  6. Jan 19, 2012
    good film but way too long, they could have definitely edited it down and it would have been just as good. the fight scenes were excellent, the acting alright. it had an interesting story, and you don't need to know that much about France at that time. All in all it's a good movie, watch it on a rainy weekend. 94%
  7. Nov 23, 2011
    Sorry, the movie was excellent. I liked the cast with Vincent Cassel convincing and the movie was fresh, uptodate covering an interesting historical topic. OK sometime very much Hollywood- like exagerating, but I love historical movies as there r not enough anyway. Good movie, worth watching
  8. RyanM.
    Feb 2, 2002
    An everlasting bore of a violent mythic mess.
  9. CalmelsP.
    Dec 20, 2005
    Maybe one of the worse movie produced in France that year. Trust a French cinephile. I advise you three excellent movie : Pas sur la bouche by Resnais a wonderful drama (genre : comdéie musicale), Mensonges et Trahison, a funny and very smart satire of Paris' bourgeoisie (genre : comedy) or La Haine if you want to understand our recent suburbs violence. I send my friendship to Maybe one of the worse movie produced in France that year. Trust a French cinephile. I advise you three excellent movie : Pas sur la bouche by Resnais a wonderful drama (genre : comdéie musicale), Mensonges et Trahison, a funny and very smart satire of Paris' bourgeoisie (genre : comedy) or La Haine if you want to understand our recent suburbs violence. I send my friendship to the American film addicts and vive l'amitié franco-américaine. Expand
  10. Mar 30, 2012
    This is movie is a disgrace. No idea what is going on, which made it incredibly boring. This movie wasted my time like no other. Stay away and i mean stay away.
  11. AndrewC.
    Feb 1, 2002
    I understand the fact that this movie had fantastic fight scenes, however, it still does not make up for the rest of the 2.5 hours. I felt that this film lacked in many aspects. Issues that I'd rather not get into.
  12. MattW.
    Nov 5, 2002
    This film would have been appreciably more entertaining had the beast had some semblance of reality.
  13. Mikeburwell
    Dec 27, 2002
    One of the best movies we saw in 2002 and we see about 1-2 a week. everything is over the top, and that is why we see movies it's escapism at its finest. some people say it was unrealistic, gee folks it's entertainment, if i want reality i'll go to my boring old job!
  14. MarioB.
    Nov 24, 2003
    As a huge fan of multi-genre films, particualrly action/horror, I can say without hesitation that this was pure, utter crap. Some much potential was ruined by sloppiness on every level of the production. There's not one interesting moment.
  15. MylesK.
    Mar 2, 2003
    Man o man, nobody could finish this movie, it was waaaay too long and the flow of the movie was ruined every 5 mintues. The script was awful, it jumps from someones friends being dead, to inviting someone to dinner two words later. It was a waste of my money, guess that's why it didn't last long in the theaters.....
  16. Carlh.
    Apr 18, 2003
    The scenery was great, I liked the jumpiness from one thing to the next. The little dog at the end needed to be eaten by the monster. Well done brothel scenes and peasant blouses were a plus.
  17. WilliamG.
    Jun 1, 2005
    BOTW is an exciting and unpredictable blend of action, horror, and mystery. As hodge-podge as the mix is (both of the hunters know martial arts; a brothel figures prominently into the investigation), the film is fantastic entertainment. The performances are satisfactory, especially the key supporting roles of Monica Bellucci (the MATRIX sequels) and Vincent Cassel (OCEAN'S TWELVE). BOTW is an exciting and unpredictable blend of action, horror, and mystery. As hodge-podge as the mix is (both of the hunters know martial arts; a brothel figures prominently into the investigation), the film is fantastic entertainment. The performances are satisfactory, especially the key supporting roles of Monica Bellucci (the MATRIX sequels) and Vincent Cassel (OCEAN'S TWELVE). Viewers looking for a refreshing change of pace in either action films or foreign cinema will be rewarded by BROTHERHOOD OF THE WOLF. Expand
  18. MichaelF.
    Jan 16, 2002
    The action sequences are incredible, but the story loses itself by trying to add a couple of twists that really don't do anything good for the film. The fight sequences are great but the film is way too overlong.
  19. ArthurR.Jr.
    Dec 10, 2002
    This was a fantastically entertaining movie. Wish there could have been future movies with Fronsac and Mani. Throws everything and a brothel at you. Actually, the brothel scenes could have been cut out as it undermined the courtship of Fronsac and Marianne. Fronsac should have figured out where the animal was kept much sooner than he did. Mani should have survived.
  20. Richard
    Aug 27, 2002
    It's the dawn of the French Revolution and everybody knows kung fu. There's a courtesan who's working for an unlikely boss. The movie has about seven false endings and I'm still not sure what the damn thing was about. Definitely not boring, though.
  21. MichaelR.
    Nov 28, 2003
    I enjoyed it a lot. I really don't see where some of the complaints came from.
  22. JohnR.
    Jul 22, 2003
    It was a bit long, but I really enjoyed it. It's just a fun movie; there isn't a whole lot of substance there, but it's undeniably cool.

I would be lying if I did not admit that this is all, in its absurd and overheated way, entertaining.
  2. Baltimore Sun
    Reviewed by: Chris Kaltenbach
    It's mindless, which is rarely true of French cinema, dull, which is rarely true of Hong Kong films, and portentous, which shouldn't be true of any film about a man-eating dog.
  3. An exuberantly garish French movie.