6.8

1. Dec 30, 2013
    Bunraku is super fun to watch. I'm not sure why the critics are acting like this should be more realistic or serious, but it's one of only a few times that I greatly disagree with them wholeheartedly. The visuals are obviously mesmerizing but it's the fun of the killers and narrative that made it so enjoyable for me. It's sad that so many people will miss this. I mean who takes a movie serious that has horns and video game sounds when punches happen? Expand
  2. Nov 14, 2011
    Probably the best movie I have seen in a long long time. I found the scene changes slick and general art direction of the movie to be beyond breath taking.
  3. Nov 19, 2011
    It took me a few minutes to get used to the originality of this movie's imagery, but once I got used to its non-Hollywood way of communicating its ideas and thought-provoking language, I soon realized that it was one of the most unique and interesting movies I had seen in a while, and I watch a lot of movies. In my opinion, this movie is far ahead of its time, inspiring thought about the way people choose to live in today's 'numbed-out' society, what principles, ethics and morals we choose to live by, what our motives are behind what we do out in society, among other world issues, or individual struggles, including violence vs non-violence, action vs non-action, ego vs selflessness, independence vs conformity, freedom vs repression, disbandment vs unity, and more. I absolutely loved it. Even though the imagery was simplistic, cartoon-like, and visually stimulating, it occurred to me that perhaps the concept that this film's type of visual expression was attempting to reflect the tone of today's society and the common influences inside of a media-fueled generation. What better way to communicate these thought-provoking ideas than through visually stimulating scenes using action, humor, direct physical conflict, and especially video game-like images and sounds. This is definitely not a movie to watch if all you want to do is numb out on another Hollywood film with a predictable outcome and definitive message. If you are open to it, you will find yourself thinking about your own life and what you want to do with it. Expand
  4. Feb 4, 2012
    Play-like sets. Odd lighting. Interesting storyline. Demi Moore was not put to good use, but it was a very entertaining movie. Predictable, but entertaining.

1. Reviewed by: Joe Neumaier
    Sep 30, 2011
    It should surprise no one that visually quirky, graphic-novelish, pulp-noir action flicks rarely come through the sausage machine intact.
  2. Reviewed by: Lou Lumenick
    Sep 30, 2011
    Extremely cool-looking in the manner of "Sin City,'' but clumsily staged, slackly acted and mind-numbingly dull, Israeli director Guy Moshe's English-language fantasy is set in a future when guns, and apparently coherent conversations, have been outlawed.
  3. Reviewed by: Andy Webster
    Sep 29, 2011
    Everything feels secondhand in Guy Moshe's Bunraku, a potpourri of genres that ends up a morass of clich├ęs.