6.6

1. Feb 4, 2013
    It's deadpan comedy at its best, and who better to deliver it than Joel and Ethan Cohen, along with Brad Pitt, George Clooney, Frances McDormand and the fantastic John Malkovich.
    When a disc containing some of the CIAs most revealing secrets goes missing, it ends up in the gym of the most bumbling, simple minded individuals, who attempt blackmail but get in too far over their heads.
    Its
    Its an approach at showing just how overreacting individuals can be, but also just how bland or too seriously many Hollywood movies take themselves surrounding this incident, basically a parody.
    Its a very well written dark comedy with brilliant performances, particularly Brad Pitt as an extremely camp gym worker, and retied CIA analyst John Malkovich.
    It has this large ensemble cast that go to extreme length to mock and amaze through sheer stupidity, all for our amusement, and they certainly do not fail.
  2. AndrewP.
    Oct 5, 2008
    Expertly Crafted story, with shocking twists. The humor is great, and the Cohen brothers have done it again!
  3. Apr 21, 2012
    i thought the film was very intelligent. the jokes are very smart, in a way hard to explain. the characters feel really natural. it is a movie that shows skill on the filmmakers' behalf. if it feels naturally good, it's a good film.
  4. Sep 11, 2012
    Again a masterpiece by the Coen brothers. More bizarre than ever before and starring fantastic actors (every single one of them plays great!) and has a brilliant screenplay. A comedy film like it was meant to be. Everything's really good here, except some over-acting by McDormand and Pitt here and there.
  5. SM
    Dec 31, 2008
    Unfortunately most people haven't got the point. Coen brothers and all these amazing actors got together to show us how ridiculously, not only our country, but the whole world is approaching a catastrophe. The more stupid one is, the higher the rank s/he can get in the government/intelligence. Then Idiots make policies and decisions and everyone gets screwed up. Just think about the Unfortunately most people haven't got the point. Coen brothers and all these amazing actors got together to show us how ridiculously, not only our country, but the whole world is approaching a catastrophe. The more stupid one is, the higher the rank s/he can get in the government/intelligence. Then Idiots make policies and decisions and everyone gets screwed up. Just think about the point of this movie again. Coens, Malkovich, Clooney, Pitt, Swinton, .... are all smart people and their time is very expensive, so they spend it on something that is worth watching and thinking about. Expand
  6. PaulT
    Dec 21, 2008
    I dont understand why people didnt like this. In terms of entertainment value, I thought it was way better than No Country for old men. What can I say, I Loved it.
  7. EoghanM.
    Oct 26, 2008
    One of the best films this year and tat s saying something!
  8. JayK
    Sep 15, 2008
    Every joke hit it's mark (rare thing for a comedy), and there were lots of jokes. This is my favorite Coen movie after No Country For Old Men. Clever, well acted, achieves everything it wants. One of the few movies where so many despicable characters are so watchable. I can understand that some people are left wanting a higher purpose, but they are either missing the point or just Every joke hit it's mark (rare thing for a comedy), and there were lots of jokes. This is my favorite Coen movie after No Country For Old Men. Clever, well acted, achieves everything it wants. One of the few movies where so many despicable characters are so watchable. I can understand that some people are left wanting a higher purpose, but they are either missing the point or just need a different point. I can understand that some folks won't get it or like it, but I'm gratefully not in that camp. Great, funny movie. Expand
  9. jimi
    Jan 5, 2009
    Confirms what we've known all along: just about everyone in Washington is a lot dumber than they think they are...if only the real ones would get the poetic justice these clowns do!
  10. AlanG
    Aug 4, 2009
    Absolutely hysterical. Saw it on the movie channel. I'd never even heard of the movie before. My wife and I were howling throughout the movie. The cast was superb. Frances McDormand plays screwball better than anyone. Malkovich, Clooney, Pitt and the rest of the cast hit their marks ever time.Satire, black humour, screwball comedy. The writing was crisp and very very funny. Though my Absolutely hysterical. Saw it on the movie channel. I'd never even heard of the movie before. My wife and I were howling throughout the movie. The cast was superb. Frances McDormand plays screwball better than anyone. Malkovich, Clooney, Pitt and the rest of the cast hit their marks ever time.Satire, black humour, screwball comedy. The writing was crisp and very very funny. Though my wife disagrees, I liked it better than Fargo. Expand
  11. JudyT.
    Sep 13, 2008
    Funniest movie I've seen in a long, long, time. I am not a Coen Brothers fan but I was pleasantly surprised by the cleverness of this movie. A must see.
  12. TylerG.
    Sep 14, 2008
    Not as good as No Countr, but still one of the best films of 08'. Perfect mix of drama and comedy. Only complaint is the beginning is a little weak but ultimately it adds up to the middle and end which is grade A material. Not worthy of Best Picture but still a must see.
  13. PeterK.
    Sep 28, 2008
    Darkly funny. One of the best things that the Cohens have done since Raising Arizona.
  14. EmmaS.
    Jan 10, 2009
    Haha are you kidding me that movie was hilarious!
  15. christianp.
    Jan 2, 2009
    I'm completely baffled at some of the comments here. One person who gave this movie a score of THREE out of TEN (!?!?!?!) wrote, "I love Coen Brothers movies. This one is a dud...Weird people acting stupid and killing each other...Very, very disappointed." I'm sorry, but if you truly love the films of the Coen brothers, you'd come to expect (and look forward to) "Weird I'm completely baffled at some of the comments here. One person who gave this movie a score of THREE out of TEN (!?!?!?!) wrote, "I love Coen Brothers movies. This one is a dud...Weird people acting stupid and killing each other...Very, very disappointed." I'm sorry, but if you truly love the films of the Coen brothers, you'd come to expect (and look forward to) "Weird people acting stupid and killing each other." Am I wrong?! This film was funny, clever, well written, dark, startling, quirky, odd, and everything else we expect from these filmmakers. Why isn't this rated much much higher?!?!!? Expand
  16. Mr.L.
    Jan 9, 2009
    This movie is hilarious. If you enjoyed The Big Lebowski, Raising Arizona and Fargo, you will love this movie. As a sidebar... although I didn't keep count, I'm pretty sure John Malkovich's character says "fuck" more times than any character in Hollywood history.
  17. TroelsS.
    Feb 8, 2009
    I do not understand how soe people can get completely lost in this story. It's quite simple actually, but in a complicated way. It's an intriguing movie about how the smallest things can affect some of the largest things. It's crazy, it's hectic, it's insane and it's genius! Once again the Coen brothers manage to make a movie, where you have to sit for a I do not understand how soe people can get completely lost in this story. It's quite simple actually, but in a complicated way. It's an intriguing movie about how the smallest things can affect some of the largest things. It's crazy, it's hectic, it's insane and it's genius! Once again the Coen brothers manage to make a movie, where you have to sit for a while and just stare. Brilliant! Expand
  18. ChristianV
    May 8, 2009
    Love it! Gets funnier with each viewing!
    Oct 12, 2008
    One of the funniest films I've ever seen, and one of the best of the year.
  20. CodyF.
    Oct 14, 2008
    The Coen brothers have lived up to their reputation again. A phenomenally dry humor that kept me laughing from start to finish. The Malcovich/Clooney/Pitt combination worked amazingly and you could tell there was lots of chemistry on the set. But the best part of the movie was the score. The music kept you "on edge" in a comedy and the order of events was spectacular.
  21. JimL.
    Dec 23, 2008
    Very enjoyable, if you like the Coen brothers' zany view of reality, and their dark sense of humor.
  22. MartinS.
    Oct 26, 2008
    Easily the funiest movie I've seen all year.
  23. Aaron
    Oct 8, 2008
    Wickedly dark humor with the Coen Brothers sick sense of humor. Outstanding cast doing satire. If you are looking for realism don't bother. But the end of the movie makes a farce of everything we know is screwed up. What a refreshing change.
  24. GlenM.
    Sep 12, 2008
    This movie is ridiculously hilarious. The Coen brothers continue to crank out ballsy movie's that just flat out do not appeal to the general public...and i feel that they get some sort of satisfaction out of it.
  25. MarkR.
    Sep 13, 2008
    It's an 97 minute Seinfeld episode without Seinfeld, but I mean that in a good way. Brad Pitt takes over for Kramer, Malkovich is Neuman, McDormand is Elaine and the film is essentially about nothing in particular. It never taking itself too seriously, and weaves many smooth twists and turns throughout the story. It is a story of greedy, idiotic, selfish and downright mean people It's an 97 minute Seinfeld episode without Seinfeld, but I mean that in a good way. Brad Pitt takes over for Kramer, Malkovich is Neuman, McDormand is Elaine and the film is essentially about nothing in particular. It never taking itself too seriously, and weaves many smooth twists and turns throughout the story. It is a story of greedy, idiotic, selfish and downright mean people that I thoroughly enjoyed. If I watch it again, I'm sure I'll laugh out loud at the same spots and have a smile on my face as the lights come on. Go see it, but don't take it too seriously either. Expand
  26. DaniilK.
    Sep 13, 2008
    Absolutely Hysterical!!! The chaos of life doesn't end, and the government can't do anything right.
  27. GeorgeN.
    Sep 13, 2008
    I just got back and have to say I enjoyed it. This movie was not only hilarious but complex enough intrigue me The Coen's really know how to make a great movie!
  28. JaneA
    Jan 25, 2009
    The product of a brilliant and well-respected cast and a pair of ingenius directors. This movie was filled with a mature, dark humor that still invoked a laugh-out-loud response and is one of the few movies I deem worthy of also purchasing when out on DVD.
  29. FranceL.
    Feb 3, 2009
    Satire has never been more fun, and Pitt never better than in this zany comic thriller. Bumbling CIA bureaucrats, DC officials full of themselves, divorce attorneys, the institution of marriage, online dating services, cosmetic surgeons, HMO's, a pediatrician from hell...nothing is spared in this very clever and very entertaining movie. A good time was had by all, including this viewer.
  30. ShannonH.
    Mar 6, 2009
    Awesome dark comedy.
  31. AngeR.
    Nov 18, 2008
    A dark and brilliant pleasure.
  32. GemmaD.
    Nov 9, 2008
    I find the mixed reviews interesting. The friend I watched this movie with didn't like it at all, I loved it. Unlike myself she didn't think it was funny and argued that there was a lack of likeable characters. Indeed, all characters seem to suffer from a mid-life crisis and are completely egotistic in how they deal with life and especially each other, but in this case I thought I find the mixed reviews interesting. The friend I watched this movie with didn't like it at all, I loved it. Unlike myself she didn't think it was funny and argued that there was a lack of likeable characters. Indeed, all characters seem to suffer from a mid-life crisis and are completely egotistic in how they deal with life and especially each other, but in this case I thought this added to the movies strength, humour and point. Fargo meets Lebowski, as far as I'm concerned. Expand
  33. TonyO.
    Dec 8, 2008
    Stimulating and very different, and from the look of these reviews, fairly widely misunderstood. To my mind, this was a rather better movie that "No Country for Old Men". It was beautifully acted by the entire ensemble (special kudos for Brad, who was hysterically funny), immaculately scripted, and deftly directed. Lots of things that could be commented on, but the most interesting thing Stimulating and very different, and from the look of these reviews, fairly widely misunderstood. To my mind, this was a rather better movie that "No Country for Old Men". It was beautifully acted by the entire ensemble (special kudos for Brad, who was hysterically funny), immaculately scripted, and deftly directed. Lots of things that could be commented on, but the most interesting thing for me was the total lack of likeable characters. It is a brave movie that doesn't seek the empathy vote. The lack of any redeeming qualities in the female characters was especially challenging. When was the last time we had a non-sexist movie about women who don't nurture, who are insanely selfish, and who are manipulative to the nth degree? And the men are nearly as bad. Not a spy movie, not a caper movie, not a sit com. Watching basically makes you uncomfortable while you simultaneously laugh, and that is why it is worth the effort. Not every movie should be a feel good experience. Expand
  34. Batmanrocks!h.
    Aug 27, 2008
    A Great Movie! I didin't expect anything because the Coen's last movie had a terrible ending and it was slow and overall pointless and very very very very overrated getting 4 Oscars including Best Picture. Like whats wrong with the academy. They don't give fargo Best Picture but they give No Country for Old men best Picture? That's a sin!!! But this movie by itself was A Great Movie! I didin't expect anything because the Coen's last movie had a terrible ending and it was slow and overall pointless and very very very very overrated getting 4 Oscars including Best Picture. Like whats wrong with the academy. They don't give fargo Best Picture but they give No Country for Old men best Picture? That's a sin!!! But this movie by itself was truly shocking. I LOVED IT! It's cherishing, personally. It's a great black comedy that exceeds to the standard of Fargo. It's actually better than Fargo. Anyway, go see it. It's better than the dark knight. Like, thats phenomenal!!! Expand
  35. JaredC.
    Aug 28, 2008
    This was unexpectedly brilliant. Better than Fargo, comparing its dark comedy similarities. Beyond better than No Country and Big Lebowski, I think the Coen's can win best picture once again twice in a row, for there magnificent Burn After Reading. Hopefully if Heath Ledger doesn't win an Oscar, the Pitt better get it. He's totally kickass. This movie's the bomb man. This was unexpectedly brilliant. Better than Fargo, comparing its dark comedy similarities. Beyond better than No Country and Big Lebowski, I think the Coen's can win best picture once again twice in a row, for there magnificent Burn After Reading. Hopefully if Heath Ledger doesn't win an Oscar, the Pitt better get it. He's totally kickass. This movie's the bomb man. It's goin' directly on the correct road to the Oscars. Expand
  36. DiegoH.
    Aug 29, 2008
    The Coen's have improved since Blood Simple. Starting with Fargo to The Big lebowski and O'Brother, then take a risky shot at the dark and bloodthirsty No Country, which was a great impression on them. Then, by using all their strengths, combining Fargo's brilliantly scripted humor and mixing it with No Country's scense of darkness relating to brutal violence. Use each The Coen's have improved since Blood Simple. Starting with Fargo to The Big lebowski and O'Brother, then take a risky shot at the dark and bloodthirsty No Country, which was a great impression on them. Then, by using all their strengths, combining Fargo's brilliantly scripted humor and mixing it with No Country's scense of darkness relating to brutal violence. Use each and every one of their styles: Blood Simples mood, O'Brothers active comedy, and using it in their new amazing motion picture. It's the movie that represents what type of directors they are. A dark comedy mix, that's there style. With smart ways of doing things, the Coen's construct a coherently paced film, by using time to develop the titles proposition, meaning: (from my opinion) burn the dead body because you read the CIA's files on the disc that Brad Pitt coincidently found. Now I started off on Pit's side, 'cause he was funny and could follow what's going on easily. If Heath Ledger in The Dark Knight doesn't win an Oscar for Best supporting actor, then Brad Pitt will. He's had a great career, and really Terry Gilliam and mostly David Fincher made him so famous. Fincher's disturbing gritty crim story: Se7en, whom was the lead in the role did a fine job. Then went to the direct, top box office hit, Fincher's Fight Club. Now this one did so well, and with pitt in it, he busted his career up for more available roles in films. And also don't forget, Terry Gilliam's 12 Monkeys (in which Brad was nominated for an Oscar) really did well. Yes, he's had an exceptionally great career, and I personally think it's finally his time. Clooney, he did well, and I kind of joined his side about half way in. I just loved how he had a blast from start to finish. No the isn't perfect, and not the Coen's best movie (although it could probably win best picture), No Country is and this is most likely his third best film behind Farho which is in second. It's just, the movie thought it was so high on itself, which is why I don't give it a 10/10. Therefore it gets 9/10. It's excellent, This movie will take their career to another level, and same goes for Brad Pitt's. Expand
  37. MatthewL.
    Sep 12, 2008
    A good blend of the inanity of The Big Lebowski and the darkness of Fargo. Definitely stronger than Intolerable Cruelty or The Ladykillers, but I guess that's not saying much. I liked it a lot.
  38. AB.
    Sep 13, 2008
    This is certainly not masterpiece in the same way as Fargo or No Country, but certainly an instant cult classic. Burn after Reading feels like a joke the Coen brothers plays on its audience, the comedy genre and all of Hollywood. If you are the kind of person who loves to laugh at people, including yourself, you will "get" this picture. Otherwise, you will chuckle at the sheer This is certainly not masterpiece in the same way as Fargo or No Country, but certainly an instant cult classic. Burn after Reading feels like a joke the Coen brothers plays on its audience, the comedy genre and all of Hollywood. If you are the kind of person who loves to laugh at people, including yourself, you will "get" this picture. Otherwise, you will chuckle at the sheer ridiculousness, but in the end feel like you've been duped somehow, although not quite sure why or how. To me, people's reactions to the movie is a hilarious continuation of the deeper layer of comedy that is the fundamental premise of this movie. Like previous Coen flicks, there is a simple take home message with an almost Aesop-like quality. The difference this time around is that the moral is not so moral, but rather nihilistic. The movie feels so unsatisfying because it outlines how unjust, random and hilarious the world can be, so one might as well develop a sense of humor. The laughter itself is what makes this movie satisfying, as well as the lasting sense of audacity. Although the spirit of this movie is one of disdain for formulaic movies and seems to say the Coen brothers are smarter than you and everyone else (they are), the casting is superb and the acting is great--although the disgusting chemistry between Clooney and McDormand takes the comedic exaggeration too far--and more importantly, it made me laugh until my sides hurt more than once. What more can you ask of entertainment? Burn After Reading is a 9 for those who love dark, dark comedy and a 6 for those who don't. And yes, Pitt is fantastic in this role. Expand
  39. CarolM.
    Sep 13, 2008
    I thought the movie was very good. Great plot twists.
  40. NIckR.
    Sep 15, 2008
    I thought this movie was brilliant. However, you have to have the right sense of humour to truly enjoy it. I don't think its a movie just about stupidity, it is about American stupidity. The characters are all archetypal, and seem to hilariously reflect a kind of paranoia that historically defines this country. I thought it was brilliant, but I understand why some without my sense of I thought this movie was brilliant. However, you have to have the right sense of humour to truly enjoy it. I don't think its a movie just about stupidity, it is about American stupidity. The characters are all archetypal, and seem to hilariously reflect a kind of paranoia that historically defines this country. I thought it was brilliant, but I understand why some without my sense of humour may not have enjoyed it. Expand
  41. DarrellS.
    Sep 15, 2008
    The Coen Brothers do it again. They could seriously film a turd for a few hours, and it would still be one of the greatest movies ever.
  42. HollyC.
    Sep 15, 2008
    Oh man. This was an unexpectedly great little movie...though I'm not sure what I expected --it definitely surpassed it. Burn After Reading definitely resembles Fargo the most though it's far more pessimistic and funnier at the same time. Almost all the characters give a very strong impression--even the ones on-screen for only a couple minutes. I thoroughly enjoyed this film Oh man. This was an unexpectedly great little movie...though I'm not sure what I expected --it definitely surpassed it. Burn After Reading definitely resembles Fargo the most though it's far more pessimistic and funnier at the same time. Almost all the characters give a very strong impression--even the ones on-screen for only a couple minutes. I thoroughly enjoyed this film There are a few moments of sheer laughter--as well as sheer horror---very much a Coen Brothers movie in every way---and for me, one of there best. Expand
  43. RobertC.
    Sep 18, 2008
    Nick R., I know what you mean. This is not just a "minor Coen", not just a one-off light comedy. It's a statement on the Washington psychosis. The proletarian population tends to forget about this class of people- the Beltway culture- and they are prime material for satire. You can really "read into" this film. I can't believe the critics are missing the point. Also, something Nick R., I know what you mean. This is not just a "minor Coen", not just a one-off light comedy. It's a statement on the Washington psychosis. The proletarian population tends to forget about this class of people- the Beltway culture- and they are prime material for satire. You can really "read into" this film. I can't believe the critics are missing the point. Also, something must be said about the craft. The Coens are master storytellers. Their screenplays are so tight. Fargo, Lebowski, No Country and Burn are the greatest examples of their "THIS happens so THIS happens so THIS happens" style. Brilliant film. Brilliant acting. I loved seeing the worldly Brad Pitt act like a retard. Expand
  44. KevinB.
    Sep 18, 2008
    I went in to this movie with somewhat low expectations because of many of these reviews. I was surprised to find a great movie that ranks up there with other great Coen brothers films. It was a very funny script while still crafting an intriguing story and didn't need to rely on a typical "funny man" to cover up sub-par comedic writing. A clever, entertaining movie. I don't I went in to this movie with somewhat low expectations because of many of these reviews. I was surprised to find a great movie that ranks up there with other great Coen brothers films. It was a very funny script while still crafting an intriguing story and didn't need to rely on a typical "funny man" to cover up sub-par comedic writing. A clever, entertaining movie. I don't understand the criticism. Expand
  45. Fantasy
    Sep 25, 2008
    I'm amazed at these reviews. We saw this in a packed theater. It is a black comedy, a satire, and the acting was simply outstanding. At the end of the movie the last 5 minutes I thought I was going to wet myself as the Coen Brothers had the audience howling. I don't mean just us I mean the entire theater had tears rolling down their cheeks. It was just too funny. For those of I'm amazed at these reviews. We saw this in a packed theater. It is a black comedy, a satire, and the acting was simply outstanding. At the end of the movie the last 5 minutes I thought I was going to wet myself as the Coen Brothers had the audience howling. I don't mean just us I mean the entire theater had tears rolling down their cheeks. It was just too funny. For those of you who didn't like this, you guys need to lighten up. Expand
  46. KevinH.
    Sep 27, 2008
    First off let me preface this review with the statement that this movie isn't for everyone. Comedy films are the most subjective of all genres. When i saw this film last night i couldn't understand why i was laughing every 20 seconds whereas only a couple other people laughed at all during the entire screening. If you have watched pretty much all the coen brothers comedies since First off let me preface this review with the statement that this movie isn't for everyone. Comedy films are the most subjective of all genres. When i saw this film last night i couldn't understand why i was laughing every 20 seconds whereas only a couple other people laughed at all during the entire screening. If you have watched pretty much all the coen brothers comedies since fargo you will probably love this. If you have a very dark sense of humor and your favorite rolling stones song is paint it black this is your movie. The Coen brothers have the best ability for characterization of any filmmakers working in america. Never completely stereotypical characters but stereotypical enough that we can relate to them and recognize a type. The film is a comic symphony where the laughs are interspersed at the beginning and the big laughs are set up for later only to reach a crescendo in the last half hour. it's a movie you really have to pay attention too and if you pay enough attention you will be rewarded. Is the film really about anything. My feeling is that the coen brothers films never have a giant, didactic and overarching theme. The satirical look at the characters displays tiny small themes that are all found within the subtext of the immediate scene. The acting is amazing with brad pitt doing what will be remembered as one of his best films along clooney. so understated most of the way through but they are all so immersed in character that it's amazing and whenever a character does something that seems ridiculous, the actors are that character so indelibly that it makes sense. In regards to the coen brothers exploiting there characters with a mean spirited hatred. I disagree. To understand character as well as the coen's do, one has to love people in general. The only way you can pull off this type of comedy is to love people because of their idiosyncracies and not in spite of them. there comedy sensiblities remind me of preston sturges 40's films and yes O Brother Where art thou's title is a reference to sturges' sullivan's travels. Could have been a 10 that i gave it but it wasn't perfect. Expand
  47. jeremyashlyn
    Jan 17, 2009
    A punchy little pulp film. funny and cute.
  48. johnE.
    Feb 19, 2009
    loved every second of it. If you didn't like it its probably because you are too dumb to get it.
  49. gschmidt
    Dec 17, 2008
    Has a bit of everything, always keeps you guessing, and even manages to make a statement about some of our values as a society.
  50. Dec 15, 2010
    I find metacritic users to be so fickle in their tastes. This movie is so enjoyable, and it has tons of repeat value. The cast is in top form, particularly Brad Pitt. So much better than the lackluster rating it's got on here.
  51. Jun 10, 2012
    I loved the castI loved the cast . Expand
  52. Aug 1, 2013
    Me reí mucho con esta película; una dirección magnifica de los hermanos que siempre lo dejan boqui-abierto con sus producciones. Altamente recomendada.

1. Joel and Ethan Coen clearly are in a prankish mood, knocking out a minor piece of silliness with all the trappings of an A-list studio movie.
  2. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    Nothing about the project's execution inspires the feeling that this was ever intended as anything more than a lark, which would be fine if it were a good one. As it is, audience teeth-grinding sets in early and never lets up.
  3. Reviewed by: Richard Corliss
    Either the Coens failed, or I didn't figure out what they're attempting. I must be like Harry or Osborne, pretending to a sophistication I lack. Burn After Reading is a movie about stupidity that left me feeling stupid.