8.2

1. Apr 4, 2014
    Very good movie, best I've seen in a while. Comparable to Avengers really. Acting and Writing were both awesome. Could potentially be the movie of the year.
  2. Apr 4, 2014
    'What's going on' asks Chris Evans of Scarlett Johansson at one point in this confused unstructured movie. This is the question that I would like to have had answered a lot earlier than is actually the case here. By the time some sort of resolution is offered one really couldn't care less. In fact this Marvel-less movie is a thorough going bore. Aside from a few sequences (involving a lift, and a climatic fight aboard an artillery carrier) most of the action is un excitingly derivative. In between these set pieces we have a lot of waffle spoken in an attempt to build character, but this only extends the agony of an already over long film. Visual effects are impressive, generally, although one static shot of the three artillery stations does look very fake.
    It is good to see Robert Redford playing a villain for a change although he must obviously be doing it for the money. After all, didn't he set up Sundance as an alternative to this kind of movie regularly churned out by the Hollywood machine.
    Fans of the first film, I'm sure, will love it and will stay (if in the know) for the two sequences that arrive during, and at the end of the final credits. Others, like myself, may wish they had left after the first 20 minutes.
  3. Apr 4, 2014
    The success of 'The Avengers' back in 2012 was undoubtedly going to usher in another phase of films from the ever expanding Marvel Cinematic Universe. Robert Downey Jr. was the first to suit up for the third Iron Man outing and his fourth for the franchise overall. The third entry in the Iron Man franchise proved to be riding the wave of the massively successful Avengers, taking a huge haul at the box office. Next up was Chris Hemsworth as the muscle bound god of thunder Thor.
    Both proved to be successes, the former continuing to impress while the latter was better than the first outing but still left plenty of room for improvement. But the first avenger to start it all was Steve Rogers as Captain America, his first film was good but not great, it had a wonderful retro feel to its first half until it took an explosive and predictable path for its final hour, each event leading into The Avengers. Cap was always difficult to put in front of an audience that nowadays demands darkness and gritty realism over charm and light-hearted antics. He stands for goodness and doing what's right, something that isn't very sought after in modern day heroics.
    But in this sequel to the 2011 film, it's a different time and a much different film. Not only does it improve upon the last solo outing, but it could very well be the best film to come out of the Marvel franchise so far. The man who was frozen in time returns with Chris Evans again putting the famous shield on his arm, he now works for S.H.I.E.L.D. who continue to be a very secretive organisation which Cap is determined to get to the bottom of. He works closely alongside fellow operative Black Widow (Scarlett Johansson). The witty chemistry between these two is easily one of the highlights of the film, even in the stickiest of situations, the writers manage to infuse some comic relief that works every time. But the threat this time in the film is much closer to home as S.H.I.E.L.D. itself is the centre of attention for all the wrong reasons. Nick Fury (Samuel L. Jackson) is given a much larger and more pivotal role in the Winter Soldier, the more Sam Jackson the better if you ask me! The story plays out in thrilling fashion as a mole within headquarters has each of our good guys on their hit list. The great alliance is now in tatters and someone that Cap has never dealt with is hunting himself and his friends down. Who better to send after them than the mythical Winter Soldier, he may just seem like a master assassin with a metal arm and anger issues, but there is much more of a story going on behind the mask that plays a part in a film that finds balance between emotional repercussions while also entertaining the fans with explosive set pieces, thrilling fist fights and a fantastic car chase involving director Fury, it all packs a heavy punch while infusing the film with superior wit and charm, especially from supporting cast member Anthony Mackie who dons a familiar pair of wings as the plot unfolds. The story delves very deep into the history of the S.H.I.E.L.D organisation while also outlining the problems that face a company who is trying to do everything right by preventing crime before it happens, "What about freedom?" the Cap asks, always there to detail the line between right and wrong. Chris Evans himself is on fine form and he acts out a very emotional script that paints Steve Rodgers as a man who is unsure about what to do with his life after the secrets of the people he works for start to unravel. It pays homage to the first film while also solidifying itself as possibly the best Marvel film so far, it has everything that could possibly be imagined and just when you think that it can't get any better, Robert Redford shows his face along with several other strong characters, there are surprises at every turn but enough of the same characters we've come to know from previous films to add up an adventurous, pulsating and epic adventure that could be the best film of the year. Stay for not one but two credit scenes, one in the middle and one at the end, mind blowing!
  4. Apr 4, 2014
    Not only is this a great superhero movie, it's a great political thriller. The story was intriguing and the acting as well as action was good too. This is one of Marvel's best to date... easily the best of Phase 2 thus far.
  5. Apr 4, 2014
    Not Marvel's finest effort, Captain America: The Winter Soldier teases you with intrigue and a nod to old school conspiracy thrillers before deteriorating into the studio's homogenized product. If you're a Marvel Studio fanatic, you might enjoy the repetition.
  6. Apr 4, 2014
    I absolutely LOVE this movie. I was gripped by what was happening throughout almost the entire movie! There was one bad actor, but I do not think that just because of him this movie's score should be brought down.
  7. Apr 4, 2014
    Mediocre, action-based movie. I feel like Marvel is on its way down. This movie was not at all what it was promised to be. It seems more and more like Chris Evans was only casted for his looks. The character Steve Rogers is boring and one-dimensional - the few "emotional" moments present aren't written in a believable manner.
    I personally enjoyed 'The Avengers' quite a lot and 'Captain
    America: The Winter Soldier' doesn't live up to that standard. The dynamics between the actors/characters are superficial. Also I hate the fact that they've casted Cobie Smulders as Maria Hill - for me she's forever stuck as Robin Scherbatsky (How I Met Your Mother) and is in no way as badass as she should be.

Still, I can't deny that the movie was entertaining. It was slow at times but acceptable. I really liked the supporting character 'Sam Wilson/Falcon'. He was witty and human as badass. I probably won't watch it again, but didn't feel like I completely wasted two hours of my life.
  8. Apr 4, 2014
    There is nothing to say except that this is the best marvel movie to date. Out of the nine, this movie is by far the most well put together and has the best told story. It connects with events from Captain America 1, the Avengers, and the TV show, MARVEL Agents of Shield. If you haven't seen this movie, go and see it now!
  9. Apr 4, 2014
    Fantastic movie and by far the best of the MCU movies so far in my opinion. This is not just a superhero movie but is also equal parts action and thriller and has a well written story, action and fight scenes and some interesting new characters.
    With out giving any spoilers Captain America The Winter Solider not only clearly furthers Steve Rogers story but also that of SHIELD and will no
    doubt have massive lasting effects on the MCU as a whole. Expand
  10. Apr 8, 2014
    Wow. This film takes the Avengers series to a new level. Not only is the story and action superb, but the events in this film have huge implications when it comes to the overall Avengers story. Keep them coming Marvel Studios!!! Top 3 along with Avengers and first Iron Man.
  11. May 3, 2014
    Captain America the winter soldier is a great milestone for marvel that really adds to an already expanding universe full of interesting, unique, characters that is changing the way we see comic book films today in our society. Easily my new favorite Disney Marvel film due to the fact that the films plot is just so beautifully presented and how everything flows so smoothly and gracefully through all the gritty dark themes that are starting to became a lot more present in the Disney Marvel universe and the fact that the Character Captain America finally feels as if he has found is place within the universe and 2 me is one of the new best characters within this expanding universe. I could go on and on about how astonishing the film is but 2 sum it up, GO WATCH THE FILM, u will be entertained and taking away by the amazing acting, plot, characters and jaw dropping action scenes.

12. Apr 4, 2014
    Captain America: The Winter Soldier is literally a Marvel of a movie, and is very much a game changer for that universe which will shake up things hugely and have ramifications for the several franchises that it connects with. A fantastic infusion of adrenaline to the heart that will prevent the Marvel universe from becoming stale and repetitive in the coming years.
  13. Apr 5, 2014
    Eh. I don't see why this movie got such a high metascore, I don't ever look at critic reviews because I feel their more than inaccurate and biased and yet, the crowd reviews here state an even higher score. Oh well, maybe it's me, but I just didn't like this movie.
  14. Apr 4, 2014
    Very very good superhero movie, much better that the first one, great plot and very "political".
    Is very close to "Avengers" on action and fun. Good acting and great effects makes it the best of Phase 2 Marvel films.
  15. Apr 4, 2014
    Best Marvel movie to date. Chris Evans Takes his performance of Capt. America to a whole new level. He is the reason Cap is 4th on my list of favorite superheros. And Anthony Mackie has just given me reason to start buying some Falcon comics and reading up on his character. Not to mention the fact that this movie took such an in-depth look into S.H.I.E.L.D. (which was my favorite part of the Avengers). And they brought in a b-level villain (Batroc the Leaper) and made him look cool. My ONLY gripe is.... COME ON SITWELL!!! WHY?!! Expand
  16. Apr 4, 2014
    One of the best solo character movie by marvel since iron man. cant imagine the hype it has created and it has lived more than up to its expectations. The actions cant get better than this. Simply superb. Highly recommended for all MARVEL fans. ;) love it !
  17. Apr 5, 2014
    This movie is a 5 and nothing better. It was so mediocre! It was alternately boring and predictable.
    Wait for it to go on Netflix. A mediocre film...a major disappointment.
  18. Aug 10, 2014
    Well that was dull. Barby and Ken fight it out against equally two dimensional evil Ken dolls. This has been done a thousand times at this point only a lot better, I should have watched raiders of the lost ark. Do yourself a favor and learn from my error and why does everyone have so much makeup on, how white does the captain have to be. There is also a not so subtle militaristic theme running though out. Get all the kids brain washed early that killing really isn't all that bad. Hollywood is really left wing. I did not enjoy this film. Expand
  19. Apr 4, 2014
    This is what a comic book movie should be. It develops the characters, expand the mythology, provides an abundance of visually spectacular action, and references the zeitgeist of our time without being overly polemic or allegorical. It's a thriller with a lot of twists and turns, and the stakes, while high in any comic book movie, feel more meaningful than in any of the other Marvel films. Despite all that, it doesn't take itself too seriously, and mixes in some insider references and comic book gags successfully.

Highlights include an authentic (to a point) engagement of the Washington, DC scenery, the new character (Falcon) engaging Cap based on shared military service, some smart moments for Black Widow, and the legitimate creepiness of the tactfully used titular Winter Soldier. This is the best acting I've seen from the extant Marvel characters (Cap, Widow, Fury), but the additions of Falcon and the Robert Redford character are also immediately credible. The direction is smooth, and the visuals impressive.

The few lowlights include moments where they cheated the DC locales and a few bits where the comic book logic cause eyes to roll. Some will be disappointed at the ending which, while not a cliffhanger, does promise another movie. To me though, this movie's story was complete, and I don't mind waiting for the next one.

To me, this is the best comic book movie since The Dark Knight; including the (overrated) Avengers. Not quite a cultural icon or a piece of high art, but an entertaining, intelligent, and well-produced film that augurs good things for the Marvel Cinematic Universe.
  20. Apr 4, 2014
    What can I say about this movie other than to go see it ASAP? It's everything that you come to expect from a Marvel film taken to a whole new level. Again, go see it ASAP. That is all.
  21. Apr 5, 2014
    Quite possibly the best Avengers side movie since the original Iron Man, and EASILY head and shoulders above Thor 2 and Iron Man 3. Outside of a few obvious "twists" that I won't reveal, there wasn't a whole lot wrong with it. I think you can only fail to enjoy it if the overly futuristic premise and Captain's shield being a little too perfect on the ricochets. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
  22. Apr 18, 2014
    Typical Marvel movie - action, famous actors, big budgets, zero meaning. Dull plot, acting, directing. The only positive notes are good soundtrack and twisted story at first sight. But when you finish watching you realise plot is simple.
  23. Apr 4, 2014
    This is probably the best superhero movie I've seen come out of the phase 2 plan for the Marvel movies so far. This movie was filled with tons of action and suspense but most of it will be lost on you if you know anything about Cap's history. From a comic book fans perspective, this is your standard tie-in movie with the next Avengers and you already know what happens at the end. For others, it's a suspenseful thriller with tons of action and intrigue. Everything was exceptionally well done and I liked this movie alot more than I did either Iron Man 3 or Thor 2. I do not like what they did with some of the characters though, including Robert Redford's character and the fact that they turned Falcon into a knock-off side-kick. Fans of the comic books will know why Redford's character was no good and that's all I'll say about that. Everything else here is wonderful. We can only hope that the next few Marvel movies before the next Avengers can live up the hype set by this movie. Until then, it's nice to see them taking these movies very seriously and they put alot of time and effort into this piece, especially after the first Cap movie was not that great. Expand
  24. Apr 4, 2014
    Without doubt, the best marvel's movie yet. Very good story, and briliant action scenes, bring one of the most serious candidate for the movie of the year. In my view is the best action hero film since the Dark Knight trilogy.
  25. Apr 5, 2014
    Brilliant acting, amazing score, everything a superhero movie needs. Comparable to Marvel's The Avengers. The writers did an awesome job. It's good seeing Redford portray a villain. Potentially, one of the best superhero movies of all time.
  26. Apr 4, 2014
    In short, this movie deserves to be seen. And that's not just because it's another superhero movie. This one delivers more in both the acting department and the storyline. It's an excellent movie
  27. Apr 5, 2014
    I'm very glad that I go to the cinema to see this amazing movie! It's spettacular, intencive and has dinamic action scene at new level! The story is also preety strong and I definitely reccomend this movie to everybody who like this genre, you will not be dissapointed.
  28. Apr 6, 2014
    Captain America 2 just doesn't work for me nor did Thor 2 the blark World. Once they made the Avengers that was it. How could any of the hero's go on to have solo missions where the world is at stake...It doesnt make sense. Small scale missions sure, but with scenarios in these movies getting more and more elaborate it just defies reason.

For every huge moment within Captain Amurica 2 I
    found myself saying 'Iron Man should pop in here', or 'Hulk would sort this out'. These guys are the worlds best defense...where do they all go when one of them is in trouble? Somewhere else I guess. Its like the producers say to themselves, which is the least cgi heavy character that we can shoe horn in here....ummm Black Widow...hell ya she doesnt change into anything, her costume isnt made of metal plates and she doesnt have a whirling hammer to make her fly.

A world with so many heros...one fighting the forces of evil with the help of loads of non super hero characters and birdman well it just doesnt wash. For that reason I found it hard to get into Cat-pain America 2, the dynamic of the world just didnt sit right, the main characters kept name dropping the other heros...instead of the other heros just dropping in.

As movies go it was passable, not as poor as Cup-tain Amerreeka but still only passable.
  29. Apr 4, 2014
    You would never expect a guy who LOVES The Sting and All The President's Men to say that easily the worst element of a comic book movie in 2014 would be Robert Redford, but it's true. He's absolutely terrible in this film - mailed it in. I'm sure some casting director thought, "Oh my God! What a get!", but the man is past his prime - at least in speaking parts. His last really good film was Sneakers, and that was great. Back to this film. Redford's poor performance notwithstanding, I quite enjoyed it. Scarlett J. has come a hell of a long way and is now more than just eye candy - she's an action hero with range. Anthony Mackie is also HUGEly likable and terrific in his role. Emily Van Camp is underutilized. Finally, I great enjoyed the interplay between Cap'n America and the Winter Soldier. It's essentially the anti-Spiderman hero-nemesis relationship. See the movie to figure out what that means. Expand
  30. Apr 7, 2014
    Fantastic movie by any means - only better because of it being an MCU movie. For me, this is a strong contender for the best Marvel movie yet. I rate it only behind Avengers and Thor 2 because I prefer the sci fi genre to political thrillers, which this movie was.

Superhero movie of the year? Possibly. I'll have to wait till Guardian of the Galaxy is released to say for sure. Being part
    of the MCU already puts it ahead of X Men and Spider Man no matter how great they may be Expand
  31. Apr 4, 2014
    Winter Soldier is the best movie about Captain America at this moment. Story is interesting spy action with nice special effects and few unexpected moments. Those people who liked movies about comics or good action movies, I'm certainly recommend.
  32. Apr 20, 2014
    I wanted to start this review by saying that Captain America: The Winter Soldier is astonishingly bad, but that gives it too much credit: The Winter Soldier is not astonishing in any way. It is yet another mediocre superhero movie from Marvel. It teased at interesting questions, like, "Is it okay to kill people to prevent them from killing people?" but all it did was tease. The movie changes up Marvel's movie universe a little bit, but for what purpose? So another superhero can save the day next year in a slightly different way while uttering slightly different one-liners? In the end, the movie is about an uncompromising good guy who saves people from dying. That's not interesting in the world of fiction; it's overused. Expand
  33. Apr 12, 2014
    Though it may not abide religiously to its subtitle, "Captain America: The Winter Soldier" remains a spine-tinglingy well-staged, frighteningly relevant, and brilliantly monumental addition to the Marvel/Disney dynasty.
  34. May 23, 2014
    okay, we're getting a pretty great build-up to "The Avengers 2" next year. we had Thor and Iron Man, and now we've come to America! yeah, that's right. it's "Captain America: The Winter Soldier". the sequel to "Captain America: The First Avenger" from 2011, and it's probably Cap's first modern movie where he's on his own. and i was excited to see that. well, he's still working for the S.H.I.E.L.D and they send him to deal with everything and **** goes down! so, this is the first action/thriller movie directed by the Russo brothers and i gotta say: as their first try, they did a great job in this movie! what i loved about this movie is that, instead of just being a great superhero movie, it's also a really good political thriller too. it was really well, like i loved the theories that's going on like "don't trust anybody", and Cap's in the middle cause he trusts everybody. but now, he starts to look around and when you look at the world that he's in against the one he came from, you can totally see that he doesn't really know where he belongs anymore. i thought the Russos did a fantastic job in showing that and you definitely feel about Cap's characters a lot more. and what's so great about Marvel is that, when your least character gets to be one of the best, that's what Marvel does right and it's great. like Captain America's a lot more interesting here, cause we get to see him dealing with this world and dealing with S.H.I.E.L.D and the easter eggs in this movie are top notch. the acting was really good too. Chris Evans was great as Captain America, Scarlett Johansson owned the role of Black Widow and their relationship was great. i loved seeing how they have a conversation while kicking some serious ass, that was awesome! the action was amazing, it was awesome and intense and it felt so real! the pacing was great, the cinematography was great, the script was well-written and this movie was just so much fun to watch. i'm telling ya right now: whether you're a Marvel fan, a comic book fan or a action movie fan in general, then you're gonna love this movie. "Captain America: The Winter Soldier" was a fantastic sequel to "Captain American: The First Avenger" and honestly, i can't wait for the third one.
  35. Apr 4, 2014
    I would like to start by saying that I've always been prejudiced against Marvel movies, because they never seem to be able to veer off shallow entertainment. However, The Winter Soldier definitely surprised me with a relatively strong script with witty dialogue. It seems 'smarter' than the average Marvel movie. However, a major down-point was that not a single person was able to pull off a strong performance. Scarlett had an interesting character, but her acting was weak, so that really put me off a little. Well, Robert Redford certainly did not come across as evil to me, even towards the end. It was also quite obvious since the start that he was the villain, but perhaps Marvel meant for us to know that? As for Chris...as usual he's just there for people to ogle. Overall, the soundtrack was weak and uninspiring; the biggest disappointment still stems from the big mismatch between a strong script and the actor's weak performances. Expand
  36. Aug 2, 2014
    Not just one of the best comic book movies, but one of the best political-thrillers, and one of the best movies of the year. Amazing acting, amazing story, amazing visuals. The Winter Soldier is Marvel Studios "The Dark Knight". I transcends a genre into new territories and with it enhances the entire Marvel Cinematic Universe and The Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. television show. It changes everything you think you know about this universe and our own. Calling it realistic would be far-fetched, but it truly is inspired by our own government and it's secrets. Expand
  37. Apr 4, 2014
    It's very rare that I find myself walking out of a Marvel movie with a satisfied feeling. The Winter Solider definitely gave me this feeling and it's easily on the same level as Iron Man 1 and the Avengers. Although Captain America is the main character, the story doesn't fully revolve around him which gives more time to focus on plot development opposed to character development. A must see for comic book fans and I highly recommend it for the average moviegoer. Expand
  38. Apr 6, 2014
    I actually enjoyed watching this movie, which was a surprise for me due to the fact that I didn't find the previous movies entertaining. The “Winter Soldier” looked Mysterious, he was awesome, too bad he didn't pop up much in the Movie. Just about every aspect of this movie was flawless, 9/10.
  39. May 12, 2014
    A block buster that entertains, that's action packed, and a full through thrill ride, in my opinion almost beats the Avengers in this Marvel Cinematic Universe, I would rate this a ten out of ten
  40. May 16, 2014
    Holy cow... what a ride! So much better than the first one, though expected since Captain America didn't need to be born again, just on with the show. Awesome effects, great casting
  41. May 28, 2014
    I have never been a fan of Captain America. I didn't find the first movie to be fascinating. Captain America: The Winter Soldier went far beyond my expectations. If you are a fan of Marvel, you will enjoy this film. However, you won't be too lost if you haven't seen Captain America: The First Avenger. It has a nice story line that was smart and not too complicated. In this movie Captain America and Black Widow work together to battle a new threat. This movie is an action film with a number of intense action scenes. It blends its story telling and action scenes together leaving no dull moments. Expand
  42. Apr 7, 2014
    Caught Captain America: The Winter Soldier yesterday and it really is a great movie. And it would help if you watched the first Captain America I don't think it's absolutely necessary but some parts will go by you. Acting was on point, action scenes were phenomenal, and love a couple of unexpected twists. Stay for the 2 endings after the credits. (the first one is great, the second not so much). But go - go watch and enjoy! Expand
  43. Apr 8, 2014
    The soldier superhero (Chris Evans) is living quietly in DC, when an evil plot is discovered. He enlists Black Widow (Scarlett Johansson) and newbie The Falcon (Anthony Mackie) to help. This may be the most unoriginal screenplay yet for Marvel heroes: no surprises, no peril and no humor. It moves forward with momentum and some of the visuals are cool. Most of the fights are fast cut, hand held and hard to follow. While it's never dull, the predictability and unimaginative action don't render it special. NOTE: There's one additional clip after the closing titles and another after the final credits. Expand
  44. Apr 10, 2014
    It's probably the third best superheroes movie ever, just after Iron-man I and The Avengers. I like the plot, I like very much the action scenes and I like a lot the new characters. The final moments are quite predictable but that's something everyone might expect in a Marvel movie. I definitely recommend it.
  45. Apr 4, 2014
    Wow I was blown away with this entry in the MCU!

Pros: Great action, some of the best I've seen in a while. Very good story as well. It was more than just a super hero flick, had a good political/espionage vibe to it. The best villain(s) since Loki in the MCU. Everyone was great in this movie with their performances.

Cons: a few scenes drag on a tad bit to make it feel a little
    longer than it should.

Overall this was an excellent entry into the MCU and once again solidified Cap, to me at least, as the one with the best individual outings. I highly recommend seeing Winter Soldier.
  46. Apr 6, 2014
    About 40 minutes too long. Entirely too much laziness and too much emphasis to Samuel L. Jackson. Action scenes go into some CGI overkill, and much of the fighting is redundant. More people get killed than all the Rambo movies put together, with no blood. Has a Transformers feel in terms of the Michael Bay style. Here's the good: Chris Evans is a very good actor, and does both Captain America justice and is a better actor than the material, the Winter Soldier is a formidable villain, very adept action sequences for the most part, some suspense. Women will not want to see this movie, at least women that I want to know. Expand
  47. Aug 2, 2014
    Don't understand the high critic score either. Thought it was rather predictable and straight forward. Pretty much your generic action movie plot but with superheroes added into the mix. No where near as good as the first film. All flash and no substance describes this film perfectly.
  48. Apr 9, 2014
    "Captain America:The Winter Soldier" is a really good movie that is leagues better than the initial first film, which I was not a fan of. This new story of The Cap is brought into the modern world and it’s fun seeing him deal with how much the world has changed, but at the same time how much it has stayed the same. The script is well written. It is filled with great relevant social commentary about our government and major organizations and how they preserve freedom by reistricting it. However, while the script is fairly heavy, it does manage to have enough fun Marvel humor that we’ve all come to love.

One thing in particular that I love about this movie is that it gives a lot of respect to its characters. The Captain himself is show to be more than just a leader. He can hold his own, but is also a great human being. Chris Evans has finally owned the character and it’s hard seeing anyone else play him. We also get more backstory to Natasha a.k.a Black Widow. It allows the audience to connect with her on an emotional level. Same goes for Nick Fury. The Winter Soldier is a pretty awesome villain, who I believe to be the best villain from the Marvel Cinematic universe only behind Loki.

Overall, “Captain America:The Winter Soldier” is a fairly entertaining and surprisingly thought provoking movie that is stepping up the quality of the modern superhero movie genre. It has everything from great characters, to an engaging and honest story, to some of the best action we’ll get this year. My only gripe with the film would be the heavy use of shaky cam during the action sequences. Other than that, it is a a movie that you go and see in theaters today. Also, stay after the credits there is a big reveal that will surely get everyone excited for The Avengers 2. I give 4/5
  49. May 19, 2014
    This is a good movie... I really liked the action sequences of this movie and the story line was very good as well as the acting... a fun movie to watch
  50. May 28, 2014
    Easily one of my favorite movies to come out of Marvel yet, the sequel for Captain America is a solid, enjoyable movie that really attempts to go above and beyond its genre, while also retaining elements that just make it another superhero movie. In terms of the political commentary, Captain America's sequel soars above most other superhero movies. It uses its position as a popular movie to try and bring up things that it feels could occur in our world if we continue down the path we are going down. However, it then returns to stereotypical superhero nonsense and, generally, feels like a run-of-the-mill summer superhero movie. Sure, it is one, and is a good one at that, but that does not mean it could not step up in "class" a bit. On top of that, I felt the story was too much. The whole world is being threatened and all that it is being defended by is Captain America, The Black Widow, and Anthony Mackie? Really? Did Iron Man, Hulk, and Thor, call in sick that day or...? The plot was very interesting and really makes this movie what it is, but it felt more appropriate for the second Avengers movie, rather than the sequel for Captain America.

In terms of acting, everyone did very well. Chris Evans, Scarlett Johansson, and Samuel L. Jackson, really led the way with that. Also, the character development was great and unexpected for this movie. The amount of development they did here, coupled with the ending and post credits scene, really set up the upcoming third film nicely.
  51. Sep 26, 2014
    Best Phase II Marvel movie. Shows what you can do with a Marvel movie, good script and some good ideas. It has the feel of an old school 90s action movie as well a little bit of political thriller thrown on top. The cgi is more disciplined here than in the first one. I liked Robert Redford as the bad dude and he plays it great, like it was his character from the Candidate won a secretary of state position. This is my favorite of the phase II Marvel movies, yes I liked it more than Gaurdians. I believe it is the best Marvel movie since the first Iron Man. Expand
  52. Apr 7, 2014
    I admired and generally liked this movie because it made a valid attempt to change up the Marvel formula, by making Captain America's second solo outing a taught, suspenseful political thriller. It was a bit slow in parts, but the plot was very smart and well written and the action scenes, aside from the first one on the ship, were shot amazingly and filled with intricate stunts. Easily the best Marvel movie since the Avengers. 8.5/10 Expand
  53. Apr 4, 2014
    The future sure has been quite a time for Captain America (Chris Evans). His first encounter with the modern world saw him running through Times Square, confused and scared. Next, he assembled with some other Superheroes to save the world from the disgruntled brother of a fellow Avenger. In Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Cap faces off against an internal threat and an organization that is just as powerful as S.H.I.E.L.D, as well as a familiar face and new adversary from his past. Life is rough for Cap. On top of everything, he is still trying to find a way to successfully assimilate himself into present day society. You think saving the world is hard? Try figuring out the internet, getting back on the dating scene, and making new friends at the age of ninety-five. Thankfully, there are only a few things Cap needs to get through the day; his trusty vibranium shield and his handy notepad with a slew of suggestions for catching up with the last seventy years, and Cap is ready to take on the world–or corrupt government organizations. Either or, Cap is always ready to save the day, even if he has to take a beating while doing it.

When I first became aware that the directing/producing brothers behind episodes of ’Community’ and You, Me and Dupree were going to be responsible for extending the Captain America canon, I may have gotten a little worried. Thinking that Joe and Anthony Russo were going to follow in the same footsteps as Captain America: The First Avenger director Joe Johnson, focusing more on the comedy and special effects of the Superhero genre and less with the complex, unflinching patriotic mentality of America’s greatest super soldier, the Russo brothers sure proved me wrong. It’s movies like these that make happy to swallow my words and stand corrected, knowing that audience members are able trust that the television medium is one that can be used as an adequate platform towards advancing characters in film as well.

Substituting as much VFX work as possible for a very organic and old-school action approach, Captain America: The Winter Soldier is certainly the best Phase Two Marvel film so far, and may perhaps be the standard film to compete against in a post-Avengers film world, or at least up until the Avengers: Age of Ultron.

Always on a mission, it seems that Cap lives to work, not works to live. Especially since he has been in deep sleep for the last little while. While the United States government is surely getting the most out of their ridiculously expensive investment, the government trusts that their super solider is never compromised and his dedication and hard work to his country is never skewed. When a secret organization with similar interests to those of S.H.I.E.L.D threaten to kill twenty million people, Cap is sent to fight at sea, on land, and in the air. Accompanied by his trusty sidekick Natasha Romanoff/Black Widow (Scarlett Johansson), the two seem to always be pitted within the same missions but always having ulterior motives. Commanded by their one-eyed superior Nick Fury (Samuel L. Jackson), S.H.I.E.L.D must face off against their most ruthless enemy yet.

One of the biggest issues I will continue to have with Marvel’s stand-alone films from now on, is the fact that once conflict reaches a certain level of danger, like lets say a global level, I will always ask, “Where the heck are the Avengers? And if not the Avengers, where is Tony Stark? The Hulk? Someone? Anyone?” No problem could be too big for the super-powered team of freedom fighting Superheroes. This is one film where I questioned the presence of Tony Stark? Was he just waiting to see what Cap would do on the other side of the country while he sat at home on his couch?

Essentially, Captain America: The Winter Soldier is a team effort in crime fighting, with Black Widow and Sam Wilson/The Falcon (Anthony Mackie) helping out are star-spangled Superhero this time around, Cap sure doesn’t seem to be without powerful friends. What was also refreshing was finally seeing Nick Fury get in on the action, providing the film with one of the best car chase scene Marvel ever assembled. One of the virtues of Captain America: The Winter Soldier stands by is the fact that, you don’t need to wear a mask to be a Superhero–which might explain why Cap always insists on removing his.

At times, the film may seem like Marvel’s take on Minority Report anticipating danger before it even happens, and upholding the idea of ‘peace’ for the sake of the world. But as the Head of S.H.I.E.L.D operations ironically points out, “peace is not an achievement, its a responsibility”. So when S.H.I.E.L.D is corrupted from the inside, right under their noses and Cap is left to face-off against a super-soldier baddie, later known as the Winter Soldier (Sebastian Stan), the organization really has some explaining to do.
  54. May 1, 2014
    This movie is really difficult to rate. After I first saw it I thought of giving it a 2 but it's grown on me a little. I still don't think it's good though. There are two big problems with this film for me. First, the premise is just not believable (yes, I know this is a comic book film). Second, the plot is very poorly written, and the dialogue is so cringe-worthy that I was laughing half the time, especially during the "emotional scenes" that are supposed to build character. I see what they were trying to do with Captain struggling in the modern world, but it was executed very poorly. Even if you accept the premise, the film is so horribly predictable and bland, you know the villains and the outcome from the beginning. And don't even get me started on how useless the Winter Soldier is.

Here is a simple example of the poor writing in this film: at the beginning of the film, the bad guys try to kill Fury...by shooting his car with hundreds of bullets. Why not just assassinate him quietly, or at least blow up his car with a bomb or something?

The only redeeming factor is the action. I actually feel it was a lot better than the first film in that regard. The fighting style and the shield use were awesome, especially in the earlier scenes. I also loved the fight against GSP, to show that although Cap. is superhuman, a top-conditioned normal person can still make him sweat.
  55. Apr 6, 2014
    It may be a bit early to say so, but Captain America: the Winter Soldier is definately one of the best movies and biggest surprises of the year. I wasn't a big fan of the first Captain America movie (I only gave it a 6 out of 10), but the sequel made me rewatch the original and I enjoyed it a lot more then I enjoyed it on its own. Although the story may start off with a cliché setting, it quickly becomes more interresting with every minute that passes by. Captain America is bigger, better and more bad-ass then ever before. Expand
  56. Apr 19, 2014
    After the atrocity that is the terribly written Iron Man 2 and 3 movies Captain America is a godsend! It's got a deep plot with many side characters and subplots and somehow manages to make each one interesting. It's nice to have a marvel movie that treats it's audience as intelligent comic book fans and less like autistic children (Iron man 3.)
  57. Rem
    Jun 1, 2014
    I hate Marvel movies. This is due to the overarching fact that it delivers corny dialogues and just because you can connect with other Marvel movies does not make it exquisitely crafted. It is a money grabbing scheme for the fangirls and fanboys to drool over the guy who I would mistake as Malcolm in Malcolm in the Middle. Adding to the fact that the acting is okay, but very trying hard to be funny, but ultimately makes them fall flat on their ass. Expand
  58. Apr 16, 2014
    good acting, action, and plot. the story is well written and executed, and has good characters. the action was great.the overall movie had some clichés, but was still very good. i wish that falcon played a bigger role than what he had, though.
  59. Apr 20, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. There’s no point in denying that the new Captain America movie is anything less than another instalment in the superhero saturation of the last ten years, but although the Captain himself has been considered the blandest of the bunch, at least as far as The Avengers (2012) is concerned. It’s still a fantastic world of unbelievable stunts and perfectly timed one-liners, but the new film offers a lot more depth than some of the weaker superhero fare on offer.

In addition to the ambitious Marvel Cinematic Universe, the rich tapestry of interwoven stories that Disney’s Marvel Studios has been crafting at the rate of about two blockbusters a year since 2008’s Iron Man, we have seen everything from the unrelated narratives of Marvel’s Spiderman and X-men series, to the gritty reboots of rival DC classics like Superman and Batman. The Marvel Universe alone is an unprecedented shared universe multimedia franchise, extending from the silver screen to various short films, television series and tie-in comic books.

Wanton American patriotism is far from internationally popular, and the challenge with Captain America as a character is to give this bastion of United States glory modern appeal. The first film took the character back to his roots, giving us a brilliant pulp action adventure, set during the character’s 1940s heyday.

This was an easy place to be Captain America, but after being dragged into the twenty first century in time for The Avengers, Steve Rogers (Chris Evans) must work out what America stands for today, and decide what he represents. The temporal displacement is a rich vein to be mined for soul searching and character interpretation.

As a pawn of SHIELD, the superhero intelligence organisation: our Nazi-punching hero has been reduced to a shady covert operative who is unsure if the missions he is sent on are aiding or abetting the forces of evil. This insecurity comes to a head when he learns of SHIELD’s Project Insight, a sinister initiative which operates under the twin axes of surveillance and pre-emptive strikes, undeniably referencing drone controversy and the concerns over US internal surveillance. Thus The Winter Soldier is an espionage thriller, firmly rooted in modern day concerns, but with a style heavily influenced, according to the directors, by cold war conspiracy thrillers from the 1970s.

Events are still very much rooted in the events of the first film, mysterious forces have been working in the background since the end of the war, and the Captain finds himself battling enemies both old and new. Symbolically, he trades his brand new twenty first century black and navy blue uniform for his bright red, white and blue wartime clobber before the film is out.

As is the case with many comic book movies, I am impressed to learn that much which transpires on screen, no matter how incredible or brief, is in fact distilled from the original comics over their seventy year history. I’m certainly not the one to personally notice all this detail, but it’s apparently crammed full of nods to various eras, arcs and character backgrounds.

The characterisation of Falcon, real name Sam Wilson (Anthony Mackie), was strong. An Air Force veteran, he shares Rogers’ military background and helps him adjust to the modern world. Later, he demonstrates his loyalty when he is called upon once the Captain becomes a fugitive.

Of course, the question having over every post-Avengers solo movie is why characters neglect to call in their superpowered chums to save the day in a fraction of the time. There is a slight aversion in that Captain America does spend the whole film working closely with fellow Avenger Black Widow (Scarlett Johansson), who has been largely sidelined in her previous appearances. The truth is that having fewer lead characters mean more attention can be given to others, and Johansson is finally given some significant screen time. Black Widow’s alluring presence is welcome throughout, her moral ambiguity and chequered past providing a stark contrast to the Captain’s clear cut integrity.

Similarly, SHIELD director Nick Fury (Samuel L. Jackson) is much more important to the story than the cameo status he has held until now. By contrast, the eponymous Winter Soldier, a bionic badass bearing Soviet livery has little screen time, initially filling the role of unbeatable enforcer to the villains, and the only individual strong enough to challenge the Captain, but his tragic presence is vital to the overarching saga. Also noteworthy is Robert Redford’s appearance as a sinister SHIELD executive.

Freedom, the most American of values, nevertheless carries a global relevance, and remains a major theme, but any overt patriotism is relatively, and wisely downplayed, despite the character’s name and apparent raison d’être. What’s left is a solid conspiracy blockbuster, with the superhero status incidental aside from enabling higher octane action sequences than a subtler spy movie.
  60. Apr 4, 2014
    Alright, I want to point out that anyone giving this movie anything below a 6 should have no right to review anything on this website. The action alone is enough to get this movie high scores. Marvel has done it again with another installment of Captain America. I must admit that I am a pretty big Marvel fan, but how can you not be a fan of super powered heroes!? If you are a villain probably. Anyhow, the fact that they are going to repeat these kind of movies for years to come is extremely amazing, and every next installment in the marvel franchise is better than the last. This movie deserves nothing better thing a high score, and you should go check it out if you like good movies! Expand
  61. Apr 5, 2014
    Captain America The Winter Soldier was amazing! The movie was better than the Avengers. This movie is a masterpiece! A mix of humor, action, destruction. 10 out of **** 10!!!!!!!!
  62. Apr 23, 2014
    Excellent movie. One of the best Marvel Superheroes movie besides The Avengers. It was fun and keeps you on the edge of your seat. The script is superb and the actors were stupendous.
  63. Apr 7, 2014
    The only issue I had with the movie was the over use of shaky-cam effects. I like to see the action, not try to guess at what is happening on the screen. Fortunately, they don't have too many moments that use this effect.
  64. May 9, 2014
    brilliant I could not help but enjoy the film great plot and a nice balance of the drama and action and doesn't over do the jokes and I've course great performances the director really has been careful when doing this film one of the best in the marvel cinematic universe
  65. Jun 3, 2014
    I was far from excited to see the movie because the first one was dull. Honestly. However, this sequel really gives me a new perspective to consider Captain America to be more than just a movie they did to make sense of The Avengers. Hands up to the directors and screenwriters, and shall I say, Scarlett Johansson, for being the hottest and bestest sidekick ever!
  66. May 5, 2014
    Miles away better than The Amazing Spider-man 2. and could even rival films like The Avengers and The Dark Knight, the acting was fantastic, and the action scenes were some of the best I've ever seen. Brilliant film.
  67. Aug 5, 2014
    I was really disapointed with this movie. Even though I am not a big fan of the character I liked the first movie. But the second one could've easily been a Steven Seagal movie for all the main plot was concerned. The performance from the actors was half-hearted, and the storyline predictable.

I am surprised this has such high scores. Had I known what type of movie this is I'd skip it
    alltogether. Expand
  68. Apr 9, 2014
    To say Captain America is the best Marvel Film from the Marvel Cinematic Universe or just in general wouldn't be the craziest thing to say, and that's when you consider The Avengers. This film isn't another generic action movie, it's a political thriller. Think Bourne, but with a shield and superpowers. This movie will make you think of the Marvel Cinematic Universe in a different light altogether. The plot and the action in this movie go hand in hand, and you will definitely be in for a ride. Also, be sure to stay until after the credits as usual with Marvel films. This is a definite must see for comic book fans and movie-goers alike. Expand
  69. Apr 4, 2014
    Amazing, fast pace, with a good sensible story plot. Very good movie, best I've seen in a while. Comparable to Avengers really. Acting and Writing were both awesome. I think this was better then the avengers
  70. Apr 9, 2014
    As much as I enjoy the political thrillers of the 1970s for their simplicity and grittiness, there were some serious pacing issues with 'Captain America: The Winter Soldier', a film directly inspired by those films. Like some of the films of the 1940s that let themselves get bogged down in shoe-horned love stories, “Captain America: The Winter Soldier” stumbled hard in the middle of the narrative.

Much of the problems in this film stem from Scarlett Johansson’s character. She’s really unnecessary to the overall nature of the film, except to impart some level of humanity to Captain Rogers. But the character of Emily VanCamp has no logical function at all. Ultimately, if the story had stuck to its guns as a political thriller throughout, it could have been fantastic. However, the film felt too bloated with all of its characters and it brought the film to a screeching halt.

Movies like “The French Connection” and “Serpico” live up to the political thriller genre. Unfortunately, “Captain America: The Winter Soldier” may be entertaining in a fun way but it is more a movie for kids and not the thinking man's political thriller we were promised by Disney/Marvel.
  71. Apr 9, 2014
    Captain America: TWS is a very good action film and anyone who is a fan of action will undoubtedly enjoy this film. The Story was overall very good and captivating (even though I got confused by it at times, but that's probably my own fault) and there is also some good humor. There was also a lot of drama which was good, overall this film was excellent and while I still don't think that it's probably as good as The Avengers IMO, I do think that this film is better than Captain America: TFA in many ways. I recommend it. Expand
  72. Apr 5, 2014
    Amazing Movie! Great Characters! This movie perfectly blends espionage thriller with the blockbuster comic book movie. If you see one movie make this your movie!
  73. Apr 6, 2014
    I've got huge amount of pleasure watching this sequel. If first movie made impression of naive action with some amount of fun, the sequel has blown my mind in all the aspects. It grew much more serious, its filming, visuals, scenario, fighting scenes, characters got a lot better. Right after the ending i had a feeling that i'd rather forget that i've watched it so i can go buy a ticket and watch it again. BIG pleasure. This is one of the best ones from Marvel Universe for me. Top 3 at least. Expand
  74. R0x
    Apr 6, 2014
    This movie makes me feel cry about old cap. America. Not good contrasted characters,action looks **** the story save this film. Bad actor playing and evrysecondmovieturns don't make film good at least. THIS FILM SUCKS
  75. Apr 7, 2014
    Fantastic film, sets the bar high for other comic book films to be released this year. Best Marvel Studios film to date, outdoes The Avengers in my books!
  76. Apr 8, 2014
    Cap 2 is one of Marvel's best and sets the bar for all of the comic book movies to follow. It has awesome action and fighting sequences, just great story, hard choices, good interactions with main characters, terrifying villain.
    It is simply one of the best superhero movies of all time, and if you a fan of comic book movies you definitely need to watch this one, you will not regret!!!
  77. Apr 8, 2014
    Nada mas que decir, la mejor pelicula del universo de marvel hasta el momento, supera completamente el nivel de Los vengadores, incluso el toque humoristico es perfecto
  78. Apr 10, 2014
    More like The Dark Knight than "The Avengers
    Captain America: The Winter Soldier manages to have the perfect balance of seriousness, humour and a complex plot that not only raises the stakes for the whole Marvel Cinematic Universe but also manages to keep intact who Captain America is and how the world should be more like him not the other way around.
    The action is the best action in a
    Marvel movie and the soundtrack keeps you on the edge of your seat as the plot evolves. Acting wise everyone fits their role perfectly and special mention to newcomers Anthony Mackie who gets most of the more funny scenes as Falcon and Robert Redford who turned what could have been a boring character in Alexander Pierce into a truly well rounded character.
    On par with The Avengers as the best Marvel film.
  79. Apr 10, 2014
    This movie is very nice I'm so proud with marvel this movie is different from another movies of marvel very nice and good have a lot of fun Chris Evans is very handsome ha ha I'm glad and love marvel more I hope next movies of marvel is better more than this good over another movies Yeahhhh P.S.Hail hydra >3
  80. Apr 11, 2014
    Marvel has once again done it with Captain America 2. I entered the movie thining it would be a decent movie, but was amazed at the edn result. Not only does it out do the first Captain America, but the plot grabs onto you and takes hold of you. I'll be honest I was not a huge fan of the first one, and only wanted to see it because it leads up to Avengers 2. The acting was amazing, I have now become a bigger fan of Chris Evans. I can't wait to see what happens next in the Marvel Universe..........and neither will you when you see this. I did not give this a 10 because I believe that nothing is perfect, but I did give it a 9 Expand
  81. Apr 14, 2014
    Wow... it has been years.. that I have sat in the theaters and felt so excited and entertained. I loved Captain America.. Loved Loved this movie. It was fabulous. This is one movie I would pay to see again. Excellent writing , Love Chris Evans. Perfect Captain America. Love the incorporation of the the Shield team . Did I tell you that I love this movie. Love it.
  82. Apr 16, 2014
    Awesome movie,but the first one still better.This movie got some very good action scenes and funny jokes but in concept of story,the first one wins.This is a good movie,nothing more.
  83. May 7, 2014
    Captain America: the Winter Soldier is a testament to what Marvel can do in the Cinematic Witness. Groundbreaking effects, good writing, and extremely powerful chemistry between actors brings together what seems Marvel's zenith in the MCU. Although the character of Falcon seems a bit odd with no origin story at all, the movies plays him off well later on as a good friend and companion to Captain America. I also LOVED the fight choreography between Captain America and Bucky, as well as the Cap and the enemy soldiers.

Overall, a well-earned 9/10.
  84. Apr 29, 2014
    All that is needed to be said is...... Murica! Movie is great. It is fun, entertaining, exciting, and kicks butt. Marvel comic's are awesome, Capt. Murica is awesome must see film!
  85. May 12, 2014
    Exceeds it's predecessor in almost every field of play. THIS is Marvel's best film so far, not The Avengers. The writing is much superior to the Avengers.
  86. May 4, 2014
    I never saw the first Capt America, but I did see the avengers and to be honest didnt like him there. However in this film I found him enjoyable. The film its self is enjoyable and just pure fun! the best of phase 2 for sure.
  87. May 7, 2014
    i have to say. the first one wasn't a great movie. although this movie is defiantly really really good. the main thing in the first one was that it just made captain america a regular strong guy. in this one it made it seemed like he was an actual super hero. the movie kept me on the edge of my seat the entire time. the story was interesting to see how this whole plot unfolded. this really is the peak so far of the marvel universe, and i cant wait to see gaurdians of the galaxy Expand
  88. May 11, 2014
    This is the best Marvel move to date. Tons of action, great story, great characters. Loved the addition of the Falcon. Definitely worth seeing, even if you aren't typically a Marvel movie fan. It really feels like a great spy/political thriller movie that just happens to have a super hero in it.
  89. May 13, 2014
    Way better then the first movie which only seemed to be a vehicle to help promote the Avengers. This a stand alone movie and with a little background anyone could be caught up to speed even without seeing the first one. This one will be put into the blu ray collection as well as maybe buying the first one just to help my gf catch up a little more on the whole background of the Avengers and Capt America. This movie started to make me a fan I wont go out and start buying up the older comics like I have with Avengers but I am very excited for 2016 and Capt America 3. Expand
  90. Apr 22, 2014
    Cap 2 has been the best Phase 2 movie to date. It will have lasting effects in the Marvel Cinematic Universe and has had a HUGE impact of Agents of Shield. It was a blast from start to finish.
  91. Apr 12, 2014
    Captain America: The Winter Soldier is a mixed bag for me having a lot of things I want in a superhero movie yet also some of the things I don’t like. The new setting and tone make the film feel fresh and different from the first film. There is a really good moral dilemma that I’m curious to see how it is tackled in future films. The characters have good dilemmas and people such as Black Widow and Nick Fury get more screen time than previous films and plenty of insight is provided into them. However, excessive action; moral dilemmas that just get dropped at the sideline; and an underused villain (although this is more misleading marketing than anything) prevent the film from being anything spectacular. Fans of the Marvel films should definitely check it out as by now you know what to expect and will probably have fun with the movie. If you aren’t a fan of this genre though then this film will not do much to change your mind although if you are planning on seeing The Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015), then you probably should as the events this film will likely have major repercussions in that film. Also, there are two credit scenes one midway through the credits and one at the end so once you see the first one don’t do what everyone in my theater did and get up and leave. Expand
  92. May 27, 2014
    I think there are far too many superhero movies that don't add anything to the genre, but this wasn't one of them. For a superhero film it was AWESOME, it actually had a plot that was compelling and interesting, the special effects were incredible in places, the action well paced and the acting was very well done.

I really don't have criticisms of this movie, if only all superhero films
    were this good! Expand
  93. Jul 31, 2014
    Typically, it is usually hard for a sequel to match the high velocity levels, and flare of its predecessor. And, hardly is there a sequel that can OUTDO it's original counterpart. Well folks, I just saw "Captain America: The Winter Soldier" and it subsequently does just that. Marvel has proven time, and time again, they are a forced to be reckoned with. This sequel solidifies them, as the most prestigious studio making films today. "Captain America: The Winter Soldier" is more than just a superhero film, it's a harrowing plot line, rich and engaging from start to finish. Inflamed by the testosterone goodness that make us all cringe with excitement. "Captain America: The Winter Soldier" is just something, we don't see, as moviegoers, very often.

Chris Evans, is back in full action as the Captain, Steve Rogers. Now forced to reconcile in the real word, at the hands of the shield agency, working for Nick Fury (Samuel Jackson). After the events in New York, the Captain has taken a new lead. However, after a run in with a being they call "The Winter Soldier" leaving Fury close to death. Things are not as them seem. Framing the Captain, and the Shield organization. Along the way enlisting in the help of Sam Wilson, a.k.a The Falcon (Anthony Mackie), to defend the justice they once stood for... did my best to describe the film without any spoilers!.

First off, I simply congratulate directors, Antony and Joe Russo for their mesmerizing work on this film. Get this, their previous work was mainly on the NBC comedy "Community" . So their transition to the big screen was fantastic. However, the true magic is within the screenplay written by; Christopher Markus & Stephen McFeely. The writers not only attribute and acknowledge the whole superhero plot. They also indulge a different style, not privy to the confines of natural superhero films. Adding in a whole subtext on the Shield organization, that makes it all the more entertaining. There is also a brief scene with Peggy Carter (Hayley Atwell) now 98 years old, that was very deep and touching.

I was so happy than we got to delve more into the past of Steve Rogers, and learn about the captain. The subplots were so intentional, and perfect in every sense. Most sequels tend to get sloppy or lazy upon arrival. Hence, "Iron Man 2" or "Spider Man 3". As far as the Marvel cinematic universe goes. Aside from "The Avengers" (which is tough to consider, it could be it's own category) The Winter Soldier is ideally, their best work yet. Thanks to what I refer to as the "dream time". Brothers, Anthony and Joe Russo, have a slick design, and flawless action sequences, some of the best in recent memory. Not to mention a grand finale, that will have you biting your nails, but, on the verge of cheering for more.

Continuing on, the action sequences were very well shot, the hand to hand combat sequences were, timed perfectly, and entertaining as hell. The car chase sequences were perhaps even better. The Russo brothers, know how to conquer some death defying sequences, but also can take your breath away. They tried to make a political espionage thriller, with superheros, and it worked on all cylinders.

There should be no surprise that I was a ginormous fan of the first film "Captain America: The First Avenger" mainly because I felt I could relate with the character, and well I did. I also, am extremely biased in terms that Captain America is my favorite out of the "Avenger" bunch. Just because he is a real honest human being, which is partially why I loved this move so much. Because, the writers made Steve Rogers a human again, more than just a hero with a shield. A man with morals, and understanding. They also gave him so much range to grow, they made this film so much better than it needed to be, and in the process, has set the bar astronomically high for every superhero film to come, so needless to say, you better watch out. Well played Marvel, well played.

A

Studio: Marvel
    Release Date: April 4th 2014

Thanks For Stopping Buy.
  94. Apr 16, 2014
    Superhero movies are all the same to me as far as the plot goes. This one has better than average action and special effects. But in the end, you will forget most of the movie a couple of months from now. There is nothing new we haven't seen before to make it memorable.
  95. Apr 16, 2014
    This is hands down, in the top three of all of the Marvel movies. Absolutely up there with Ironman 1 and Avengers. The reviewers are seriously pretentious idiots for thinking this does not rank better.
  96. Apr 16, 2014
    It's good. It has pretty good action sequences, nothing jaw-dropping though. The performances are competent, but the interaction between the characters lacked depth. The political intrigue is a fresh and appreciated element in the movie, but the writing could have used more work.

It seemed that the filmmakers were aiming for more than just another action flick; but the elements needed
    to attain such a level (particularly writing), did not help in reaching it. Expand
  97. Jun 30, 2014
    This is the Bourne Identity of Superhero movies with a dash of Clear and Present Danger and Spy Game. After seeing this, Scarlett Johansson is definitely ready for a stand alone Black Widow movie.
  98. Sep 22, 2014
    The events of this movie will have long term effects on the MCU. It's both an action packed superhero movie and a well-paced and tension filled political thriller. I can't give enough praise to the excellent Captain America vs. Winter Soldier fights. The best moments in the film are when the two of them are on-screen together in my opinion.

It's definitely something different than what
    you would expect from a Marvel film. It feels more real than the others. Like the vents and the hero on display here are something that could actually happen. The tone is also more serious and a little darker than other Marvel movies, yet it still feels like it's apart of that universe. I just love all of the little hints and references hidden throughout to other heroes or more obscure villains. For instance the inclusion of Batroc the Leaper tickled my inner comic book nerd. Be sure to stick through the credits until the very end.

"The Winter Soldier" is another excellent Marvel film that not only expands upon the first movie, but the universe as a whole. I can't wait to see where they take things from here and I highly recommend the movie. It's one of the best the MCU has seen so far.
  99. Sep 10, 2014
    Captain America: The Winter Solider was amazing entertainment from Marvel. The film was superior to the first installment in every conceivable way. The story was deeper (if a touch on the predictable side) and the action scenes were thunderous and exciting. This is how a comic book sequel should be done and I'm now looking forward to Cap's next outing with the fervor of a fat man at supper time!
  100. Apr 29, 2014
    the movie was OK. I thought the first one was way better. I see some of the reviews and thinking that they are blowing this movie way out of proportion as it was just OK. I did not like Iron Man 3 either. Both were kind of bland. I loved Iron Man 1 & 2 and loved the Avengers Captain America 1. IT IS NOT COMPARABLE TO AVENGERS!

1. Reviewed by: Drew McWeeny
    Apr 18, 2014
    Captain America: The Winter Soldier is a tremendous piece of pop entertainment, smart and engaging and featuring a home run movie star lead performance by Chris Evans.
  2. Reviewed by: Adam Nayman
    Apr 6, 2014
    What it comes down to is the difference between spectacle and craftsmanship. The Winter Soldier has plenty of the former – every dollar of its estimated $170-million (U.S.) budget is onscreen – but it’s also got an intricate dramatic and thematic structure holding everything in place.
  3. Reviewed by: Steven Rea
    Apr 4, 2014
    The problem with Captain America: The Winter Soldier is that there's too much going on: the Marvel Universe stuff, the WikiLeaks-ish paranoia stuff, the video game-ish CG visual effects stuff, the epic John Woo-ish everybody-pointing-a-weapon-at-everybody-else face-off stuff.