8.1

1. Mar 23, 2014
    Good acting in general, Hanks shows one more time his great skills in acting. Unnecessary long movie, Phillips begins like the hero of the day, then it becomes a military movie. At last, it finishes being one of the (not few) Pro-USA movies: "USA is goodness, any other country is evil". How many boats, soldiers, helicopters did they need to rescue a single person?... yeah right...
  2. Mar 23, 2014
    Honestly, this movie was a little overrated, but it was still worth watching. It had good action and a good storyu, but parts of it were pretty boring.
  3. Mar 18, 2014
    It starts off incredibly slow, but when things pick up shortly later the movie does not let up. It is constantly one of the most intense movies I have ever seen. I was always on the edge of my seat and constantly unsure of how things would turn out next. Tom Hanks is amazing here, but honestly it's Tom Hanks so that's what you would expect of him. The rest of the cast is also astounding.It starts off incredibly slow, but when things pick up shortly later the movie does not let up. It is constantly one of the most intense movies I have ever seen. I was always on the edge of my seat and constantly unsure of how things would turn out next. Tom Hanks is amazing here, but honestly it's Tom Hanks so that's what you would expect of him. The rest of the cast is also astounding. Just the way the main villain is interpreted made me feel sort of sorry for him. The movie feels real and human, which is made extra important because this is based off of a true story. This is an absolutely amazing movie and one that I HIGHLY recommend you watch ASAP. I give it a score of 9/10-Amazing. Expand
  4. Mar 16, 2014
    As much as I hate this movie for the false story it portrays which has been argued by the crew who had proven otherwise that Phillips was incompetent and who's actions nearly caused some of their deaths, the entertainment value made it worth the watch with Tom Hanks doing one of the best acting jobs I have seen in a long time.
  5. Mar 13, 2014
    A very good and entertaining movie from start to end. I like movies based on true events and this did not disappoint. Tom Hanks again displays his great ability in portraying Captain Phillips. Highly recommend this suspenseful thriller.
  6. Mar 10, 2014
    As purely an action/drama film it was very good and Tom Hanks was as good as he consistently is. One drawback is some of the after-story blowback where certain crew members have criticized over-heroization of Phillips (as Hollywood often does) and claims that the path he routed close to the Somali border in order to speed delivery is actually what put them in harm's way in the first place.As purely an action/drama film it was very good and Tom Hanks was as good as he consistently is. One drawback is some of the after-story blowback where certain crew members have criticized over-heroization of Phillips (as Hollywood often does) and claims that the path he routed close to the Somali border in order to speed delivery is actually what put them in harm's way in the first place.
    But the biggest problem with this as with some of the other Navy SEAL-related films lately, is that it is horribly wrong to allow a movie to reveal our special forces tactics. Even the slightest reveal has the potential for putting our troops in greater danger and I have no patience for this sloppy exposure.
  7. Mar 9, 2014
    Looks like a mix of everything we've seen in year, drama, suspense, action, everything, and well executed and directed, does not look like a "based on true events" empty, it seem who has a heart there, not only in Philips, but also, in their own "villains".
    In the end, can be embraced as a horror movie, or even a documentary, because like most of the time, the stronger stands on end.
  8. Mar 7, 2014
    Captain Phillips does a great job showing off Tom Hanks as a strong and cunning leader of the Maersk Alabama with a family back in the states. The film is very good for setting a nice plot with some unease and doubt they will make it past the Somalian coast without getting highjacked. Once the pirates attack the action doesn't stop. Still the movie does make you feel bad at the beginningCaptain Phillips does a great job showing off Tom Hanks as a strong and cunning leader of the Maersk Alabama with a family back in the states. The film is very good for setting a nice plot with some unease and doubt they will make it past the Somalian coast without getting highjacked. Once the pirates attack the action doesn't stop. Still the movie does make you feel bad at the beginning for these "poor fishermen" until you realize they chose their path in life. Very good for the action, tension, suspense, and story line. Expand
  9. Mar 7, 2014
    as if we all tom hanks was in saving mr banks which it sucked . tom hanks plays capatain philips an idiot captain who gets kidnaped by a piracy . but tom hanks was amazing in this role .
  10. Mar 5, 2014
    The two hour run time was sort of needless and while Tom Hanks was fantastic, Everyone else on the cast did not have much in terms of dialogue and even when they had it, It was the bare minimum. It was still a pretty solid movie overall and worth checking out if you are a fan of Hanks, Just don't expect to get blown away by it. The film, at least in my opinion, failed to capture theThe two hour run time was sort of needless and while Tom Hanks was fantastic, Everyone else on the cast did not have much in terms of dialogue and even when they had it, It was the bare minimum. It was still a pretty solid movie overall and worth checking out if you are a fan of Hanks, Just don't expect to get blown away by it. The film, at least in my opinion, failed to capture the seriousness of the situation and it was actually sort of laughable the way it was too over-dramatic at times. Expand
  11. Mar 2, 2014
    Very good movie except the shaking cam was out of control... got motion sick half way into the movie. Would of gave a 4 stars if the shaking was less.
  12. Feb 27, 2014
    Captain Phillips is a nailbiter, and the action begins fairly quickly. Tom Hanks is good throughout, although his accent was unrealistic at times. The movie feels real and people react like you would expect them to. There are a couple of scenes that bothered me that didn't ring true, but overall a solid film.
  13. Feb 26, 2014
    This was good flick that i didn't expect to see (but came up during a flight). Hanks doesn't wow on the screen but a rather vanilla. As is the supporting cast. However, the story is what saves this film. As the film progresses you can begin to really feel the tension which is probably 100% less than what it was really like. You cetrainly find yourself rooting for Hank's character, and asThis was good flick that i didn't expect to see (but came up during a flight). Hanks doesn't wow on the screen but a rather vanilla. As is the supporting cast. However, the story is what saves this film. As the film progresses you can begin to really feel the tension which is probably 100% less than what it was really like. You cetrainly find yourself rooting for Hank's character, and as this is based on a true story, makes for a cherry on top;. Expand
  14. Feb 23, 2014
    A lot of great things can be said for this movie like the script and Tom Hanks' performance is one of the best of his career but I will say the constantly shaky camera really took me out of it at times. I kept finding myself not focusing on the movie but on how irritating the shake was. I would understand if it was to give you the feeling of uneasiness being on the ocean and I certainlyA lot of great things can be said for this movie like the script and Tom Hanks' performance is one of the best of his career but I will say the constantly shaky camera really took me out of it at times. I kept finding myself not focusing on the movie but on how irritating the shake was. I would understand if it was to give you the feeling of uneasiness being on the ocean and I certainly felt that way but it was just as shaky when everything was calm and they were on dry land. Now that was a pretty big problem for me but this movie is definetly worth a watch, especially if you're not bothered by shaky cam. Expand
  15. Feb 13, 2014
    Captain Phillips kept me on the edge of the seat the first hour and a half, then I lose it and recovered it at the end. It's strange how this film manages a great level of tension with such a simple storyline like a cargo ship hijacked by pirates. The clue here is that the movie makes the viewer feel threaten by the pirates, as if he was part of the crew; and the is accomplish because ofCaptain Phillips kept me on the edge of the seat the first hour and a half, then I lose it and recovered it at the end. It's strange how this film manages a great level of tension with such a simple storyline like a cargo ship hijacked by pirates. The clue here is that the movie makes the viewer feel threaten by the pirates, as if he was part of the crew; and the is accomplish because of close camera shots, mainly to the faces of the characters; in contrast with wide camera shots, used for the ship, the life boat and the pirate skiff; and also is the constant massages that the captain sent to the crew by loudspeaker. The story decline when arrives the help for the cargo ship, and here is where all the American power is put on the table, the problem is that is so exaggerated, at the point the it becomes rejectable. Although the end compensate the previous part. Here the direction might not be so good, but Tom Hanks's performance is worthy of an Oscar nomination (too bad that didn't happen) and Barkhad Abdi definitely is the innovation here. Expand
  16. Feb 3, 2014
    本片的那种贯穿始终的惊险刺激恐怖只有亲自看过才能真正体验,Tom Hanks影帝级表演,几位海盗的演出也很出色。
  17. Feb 2, 2014
    I have to admit, for a movie based on a true story. The movie grabs your attention! But that's Hollywood for you. From what I read, the REAL story is alittle different
  18. Feb 2, 2014
    I really liked this movie. It's tense, exciting, engaging, and ultimately very memorable. Greengrass's direction is excellently gritty and authentic. Under his control everything in the film seems impressively real. I can't believe Hanks was snubbed out of an Oscar nomination. His performance was beyond first rate, especially towards the end of the film. The script is also very wellI really liked this movie. It's tense, exciting, engaging, and ultimately very memorable. Greengrass's direction is excellently gritty and authentic. Under his control everything in the film seems impressively real. I can't believe Hanks was snubbed out of an Oscar nomination. His performance was beyond first rate, especially towards the end of the film. The script is also very well done, even to the point of giving a touch humanity to the vicious main villain. I can't however shake the feeling that the film is somewhat limited. It works great as an action film, as well as a drama, but I can't help but feel that it was lacking... something. It also ends too abruptly. Other than those very small disappointments though, this is definitely a must see movie. I also highly recommend buying it. Expand
  19. Jan 29, 2014
    I was already familiar with the storyline as I had seen a documentary of it, so the drama for me was minimized, but pretty much it's about a cargo ship that is traveling in waters that are known for piracy and sure enough the Captain's cargo ship is targeted for piracy and there the adventure begins. Of course, we're supposed to root for Captain Phillips but it's hardly a fair fight,I was already familiar with the storyline as I had seen a documentary of it, so the drama for me was minimized, but pretty much it's about a cargo ship that is traveling in waters that are known for piracy and sure enough the Captain's cargo ship is targeted for piracy and there the adventure begins. Of course, we're supposed to root for Captain Phillips but it's hardly a fair fight, since behind the Captain is all the mighty power of the American military.
    Don't mess with America, I suppose, but hey how about a little love and support for those impoverished but enterprising buccaneers.
  20. Jan 29, 2014
    A Hollywood-produced, politically correct, big studio vehicle, helmed by a world-class action artisan Paul Greengrass, stars the most revered actor of his generation, Tom Hanks as the titular captain, whose screen image is a paragon of an orthodox ordinary Joe alike American hero, in this seafaring hijack inspired by a true event in 2009 at Somali waters. It is a retaliation of the viciousA Hollywood-produced, politically correct, big studio vehicle, helmed by a world-class action artisan Paul Greengrass, stars the most revered actor of his generation, Tom Hanks as the titular captain, whose screen image is a paragon of an orthodox ordinary Joe alike American hero, in this seafaring hijack inspired by a true event in 2009 at Somali waters. It is a retaliation of the vicious circle from the poverty-stricken to the hegemony which sardonically offers them the alms and simultaneously capitalizes on their natural resources and weaponry merchandizing, so it is not easy to hold a phlegmatic perspective to watch the man-made terror without deploring the sad truth how things have ended up like this, for sure we should inveigh against the piracy felony, all the same we should also see through the phenomena and ferret out the nitty-gritty which induces the atrocious tragedies. We have both parties to blame and need a soul-searching examination on our own conscience.

Greengrass adopts an engaging procedure to re-enact the white-knuckle happening of how the ship is seized by four Somali pirates (leading by a scrawny Muse, played by the first-time actor, now Oscar-nominee Abdi), parallels the narrative from both sides, playing mind games and a hide-and-seek inside the vessel, this is the first half, culminated with the pirates take captain Phillips as the hostage in a lifeboat, floating back the Somali. Apparently from the hindsight, it is a preventable incident, considering it is a US cargo ship, no one on board is equipped with any firearms at all? From a gun frenzy country where campus shooting is rampant, it is quite implausible, but sometimes the truth is as simple as that, the pirates’ boarding process is rough and ready, clearly the affluent corporate which owns the ship skimps on its defense system, although they are fully aware of the potential peril could happen anytime. Otherwise, there would be no big deal to defeat four sea marauders (one is barely a child) even they’re equipped with AK-18.

Anyway, the second half, Captain Phillips is held captive within a lifeboat with the pirates on the billowy sea, since then, the film heavily hinges on Hank’s performance to emanate the brewing desperation during the so-called “negotiation” between US rescue team (SEAL, frogmen are all standby) and the cornered pirates four. It is a precious platform to let Hanks finally have something extraordinary to offer, he completes it with consummate precision and sublimates the predictable fallout of the false hope. Unfortunately due to a crammed year with sterling candidates, Hanks is left out of the nomination list, quite an upsetting snub, but he plays a real person who lacks for a distinctive character except he is under an extreme situation, not showy enough is the detrimental disadvantage. Abdi is the MVP among the pirates four, not as irritable and impatient as the hackneyed short-fuse Najee (Ahmed), he is a human being with flesh and blood, he is the one captain Phillips can relate to under such circumstances, all diversities aside, basically they both work for their respective bosses and want to finish their jobs with minimal casualties. His bold final move can be interpreted as a smart judgment call, his American dream ironically fulfills in a different way, at least he can be plumb free of his ill-destined fate.

Nominated for 6 Oscars including BEST PICTURE (both Hanks and Greengrass are brutally snubbed here), CAPTAIN PHILLIPS is at best an unbiased recount of a man’s individual struggle during a hanging-by-a-thread ride, and at worst, it is an unimaginative hostage story with jejune perpetrators wield weapons and demand unrealistic ransom, no one can beat the principled USS army, do you get the message?
  21. Jan 27, 2014
    It was a surprise. Tom Hanks really is resurfacing his acting career. Although this movie didn't have much going on-as far as action and scene changing. The acting was phenomenal. Was I scared? No. But this movie raised a very serious and realistic question-pirates are for real. They don't have eye patches or hooks for hands, they have weapons. This is a real situation and Tom Hanks andIt was a surprise. Tom Hanks really is resurfacing his acting career. Although this movie didn't have much going on-as far as action and scene changing. The acting was phenomenal. Was I scared? No. But this movie raised a very serious and realistic question-pirates are for real. They don't have eye patches or hooks for hands, they have weapons. This is a real situation and Tom Hanks and all f his splendid crew worked with this movie. The part wasn't made for them, they made their part. Go see it. Expand
  22. Jan 25, 2014
    The movie is inspired by the American cargo ship called Maersk Alabama's hijacking that took place in 2009 on the eastern coast of Africa. For many who think it is similar to Danish movie 'A Hijacking' it is not. Both the movies are about Somalian pirates, but a totally different stories which were based on individual true events. One was very much realistic about ransom negotiation andThe movie is inspired by the American cargo ship called Maersk Alabama's hijacking that took place in 2009 on the eastern coast of Africa. For many who think it is similar to Danish movie 'A Hijacking' it is not. Both the movies are about Somalian pirates, but a totally different stories which were based on individual true events. One was very much realistic about ransom negotiation and the other one was a clean entertainer on the opposite.

Maersk Alabama is the first American ship to be hijacked in over 200 years. Tom Hanks as captain Richard Phillip was brilliant. He continues to give his performances on the variety of roles in his movies compared to any other actors. That is why he's one of the rare actors in all fine movies of his.

As a formality the movie begins with the story where the captain Phillips' journey commence from his residence in America. After he flee to Oman to take his ship back to his country, he encounters the threat from a small group of pirates. Once the ship was held by the Somalians pirates the series of incidents occurs before the captain is taken as a hostage in a lifeboat. Then after there's no drama, everything was remarkably shown in those crucial parts with a slightly drag in ending. But the tensions were very well captured and wonderfully exhibited to us.

With an excellent direction from the director of the Bourne movie series, this movie came in his another top-notch. The movie had plenty of thrilling scenes takes you to the edge of your seat. One of those segments where I got stunned was when the ship was being held by pirates and when navy approaches to the lifeboat. In those parts I just said, wow!. Now my eyes on OSCAR, how many it will gain and lose is I must wait and watch.

8.5/10
  23. Jan 25, 2014
    Going in knowing the outcome with a movie like this makes it hard for the story itself to build tension and suspense. Captain Phillips knows this and instead relies on a magnificent Oscar worthy performance by Hanks. He is both realistically credible and emotionally captivating throughout the film, especially in the final act. Barkhab Abdi also leads a good performance along with theGoing in knowing the outcome with a movie like this makes it hard for the story itself to build tension and suspense. Captain Phillips knows this and instead relies on a magnificent Oscar worthy performance by Hanks. He is both realistically credible and emotionally captivating throughout the film, especially in the final act. Barkhab Abdi also leads a good performance along with the supporting cast of Somalia pirates in displaying them as people with no where else to turn, forced into a mission doomed for failure. The film subtly hints at this but never lets it overshadow the emotional journey of Phillips. The direction and sound are all top notch but what really separates this movie from the pack is the outstanding performance by Hanks. Expand
  24. Jan 24, 2014
    ''An Absolute knockout!'' Explosively suspenseful, Brilliant,Powerful as you've heard. Tom Hanks is astounding. The Best performance of an actor on 2013. The highest order of acting definitely raises the bar of what true life action thriller could do. So let Captain Phillips give it to you! Captain Phillips should be on the stage on the Oscar night. Not just One of the Best Films of 2013,''An Absolute knockout!'' Explosively suspenseful, Brilliant,Powerful as you've heard. Tom Hanks is astounding. The Best performance of an actor on 2013. The highest order of acting definitely raises the bar of what true life action thriller could do. So let Captain Phillips give it to you! Captain Phillips should be on the stage on the Oscar night. Not just One of the Best Films of 2013, One of the Best Films of the decade. Expand
  25. Jan 22, 2014
    A very nice and interesting movie with good acting. I enjoyed it, it kept me interested and wanting more.
    Also the plot is very original and I haven't seen any similiar movie before. Recommended.
  26. Lyn
    Jan 18, 2014
    Tom Hanks's performance reminds me of Russell Crowe's in "The Insider" -- an average-looking guy, doing his job with no heroics, who goes through a period of very intense anxiety and makes you feel it.. So, Hanks is great as advertised, but somehow the movie is more interesting than it is entertaining. Slow stretches are not filled in with compelling supporting roles or complexity. InTom Hanks's performance reminds me of Russell Crowe's in "The Insider" -- an average-looking guy, doing his job with no heroics, who goes through a period of very intense anxiety and makes you feel it.. So, Hanks is great as advertised, but somehow the movie is more interesting than it is entertaining. Slow stretches are not filled in with compelling supporting roles or complexity. In fairness, I followed the Somali pirates stuff closely when it happened, so I guess no amount of pounding music was going to make me forget for a while that I knew how it was going to end. Expand
  27. Jan 17, 2014
    This movie is great, the direction by Paul Greengrass is great, the actors playing the Somali pirates, are actually pretty darn good, and Tom Hanks gives one of his greatest performances ever, which is saying a lot. This is one of the best movies of the year.
  28. Jan 14, 2014
    Is just perfect ,Is interesting ,Is a wonderfull movie, good and professional actors.
    I so diferent butAs i said , Is just perfecte
    The best movie i see
    I love tris movie .
  29. Jan 14, 2014
    One of the greatest amazing acting films of the year is Captain Phillips. With amazing acting by Tom Hanks and newcomer Barkhad Abdi this film is gut wrenching and an amazing film to watch.
  30. Jan 13, 2014
    Captain Phillips is a flawless and intense drama that ratchets up the tension with every passing minute. Tom Hanks delivers a career-best performance as the wily and quick-thinking everyman who does his best before cracking under the pressure. The Somali pirates are also treated fairly and their motivation is convincing. 5/5, a must-see movie.

1. Reviewed by: Neil Smith
    Oct 21, 2013
    Squeezing every drop of tension from wet-ink recent history, Phillips only falters when making its protagonists mouthpieces in a broader geopolitical debate. Otherwise, it’s full steam ahead to the Oscars.
  2. Reviewed by: Kenneth Turan
    Oct 11, 2013
    The piercingly realistic Captain Phillips will exceed your expectations.
  3. Reviewed by: Peter Rainer
    Oct 11, 2013
    Greengrass is an expert hijacker, too. He hijacks our good sense.