Carlos

7.7

1. Jan 17, 2011
    Amazing miniseries! Personally I am venezuelan and the acting was outstanding. I am overwhelmed by the fact that it won a golden globe (being a french miniseries). 3 parts that are totally worth watching
  2. Oct 18, 2010
    Carlos is as good as a movie gets. It is 5 1/2 hours of riveting pulse. Carlos sparks the internal fear of being in the wrong place at the wrong time.
  3. Oct 18, 2010
    You aren't likely to see another showcase that can un-romantically translate the story of a larger-than-life figure, in order to leave him all out there for YOU to judge his actions. Olivier Assayas has a trained eye to say the least. A real triumph in character, environment and story. Edgar Ramirez has arrived!
  4. Lyn
    Jun 5, 2011
    Riveting -- have to thank the Sundance channel for providing 5 1/2 hours of engrossing, escapist entertainment during a boring weekend! Lead actor Edgar Ramirez is so charismatic that I couldn't avoid a few qualms about the terrorist being portrayed as such a sexy, glam guy. But the production as a whole, especially the controlled tedium of the final segment, gradually reveals the flaws ofRiveting -- have to thank the Sundance channel for providing 5 1/2 hours of engrossing, escapist entertainment during a boring weekend! Lead actor Edgar Ramirez is so charismatic that I couldn't avoid a few qualms about the terrorist being portrayed as such a sexy, glam guy. But the production as a whole, especially the controlled tedium of the final segment, gradually reveals the flaws of his character and the desperation of his existence. What irony as he bloviates about being "soldier" against imperialistic enemies while swilling endless glasses of Johnny Walker Red. Terrific storytelling. Expand
  5. Sep 27, 2011
    There is no better film out right now. Just dynamite drama and action. Is it too long at 5 1/2 hours? Hell no! I wanted more. There is a 60 action sequence equaled only by Scorsese's Goodfellas - yeah, it's that good..
  6. Nov 14, 2012
    Excellent. Be sure to watch it in it's full 336 minute glory. I went in thinking this would be a propaganda piece one way or the other, but left feeling the creators did a reasonable job avoiding that. There is a bit of it, but it's slight. Well acted, well casted, well written. It makes Homeland look like the crappy show it is.
  7. Jan 11, 2011
    I watched the shorter version and felt the need for more. Its such an epic story both in scale and ambition that I would watch the long version if I could find it. Its hard to explain that such an un-likeable charactor as Carlos is so not to find him and his story interesting. Politics and terrorism are not what Carlos is about but rather the need for power and respect. An interestingI watched the shorter version and felt the need for more. Its such an epic story both in scale and ambition that I would watch the long version if I could find it. Its hard to explain that such an un-likeable charactor as Carlos is so not to find him and his story interesting. Politics and terrorism are not what Carlos is about but rather the need for power and respect. An interesting movie that doesn't glamorize or judge its content which is something alot of Hollywood movies could learn from. Expand
  8. May 16, 2011
    love it an awesome star making performance by its lead. direction was brilliant and you can not believe you are watching a 5 hour film saga.cant wait to see the next films of this great actor/director.
  9. Nov 18, 2015
    A strongly directed leftest biographical that doesn't rip the viewer out of it's content with a sort-of-like history and brief running time, and instead places the facts right in front of you for a grueling (and yet powerful) five and a half hour running time.
  10. Sep 21, 2015
    Adapted from the award-winning TV mini-series and based on a real but disputed story, ‘Carlos The Jackal’ is the extraordinary tale of how a Venezuelan Marxist-Leninist aligned himself with global revolutionary anti-capitalist organizations and made alliances with several Islamic nations, on the way to becoming one of the world’s most wanted men and perhaps the most infamous terrorist ofAdapted from the award-winning TV mini-series and based on a real but disputed story, ‘Carlos The Jackal’ is the extraordinary tale of how a Venezuelan Marxist-Leninist aligned himself with global revolutionary anti-capitalist organizations and made alliances with several Islamic nations, on the way to becoming one of the world’s most wanted men and perhaps the most infamous terrorist of the 20th century.

Édgar Ramírez delivers a tour-de-force performance as an almost mythical figure of the 20th century who’s actions and motivations helped to shape the world we now live in for better or worse, mostly worse.

“The Jackal” has always been an enigmatic figure in popular culture, after all this is a Venezuelan revolutionary who managed to become a driving force for middle-eastern centered global terrorism while being a major figure in an “anti-capitalist” movement that made him a cult hero figure for some.
    But in ‘Carlos The Jackal’ we are presented with a fascinating portrayal of the man behind the enigma that so gravely impacted the late 20th century, he’s presented as much as a self-aggrandizing narcissist as he is a brutal and motivated revolutionary.

As an adaptation of a much longer TV miniseries we are deprived here of some of the character and story elements that frankly make the TV version more engrossing, plus the movie looks like a TV film… and if you’re expecting your typical action/thriller you’ll probably be disappointed, but with a lack of budget ‘Carlos The Jackal’ is forced to strip away stylistic elements which results rather refreshingly in a purer focus on an extraordinary story and the man behind it.

Aside from a genuine attempt at humanizing a myth, the greatest triumph of ‘Carlos The Jackal’ is to remind us all that modern so-called global “Islamic Terrorism” has far reaching roots and has been an issue for many decades, albeit at a smaller scale with less of the religious fanaticism of today and of a more political/revolutionary angle.

The Bottom Line…
    An effective adaptation of the award-winning TV mini-series which makes up for what it lacks in spectacle with a fascinating character study of the man behind the notorious enigma, a fascinating little lesson in recent Geo-political history with wide reaching implications for the troubled world we live in today.

1. Reviewed by: Rene Rodriguez
    Dec 30, 2010
    Part of the accomplishment of Carlos is the sheer accumulation of detail the movie amasses, and the longer running time gives you a deeper sense of the terrorist lifestyle, and when and why Ilich gradually succumbed to ego and self-glorification without realizing it.
  2. Reviewed by: J.R. Jones
    Dec 7, 2010
    I haven't seen the shorter version, but I would hate to lose one moment of the gripping 66-minute sequence-really the heart of the movie-in which Carlos plots and executes his spectacular 1975 raid on the meeting of OPEC ministers in Vienna.
  3. Reviewed by: Ty Burr
    Oct 28, 2010
    Carlos moves like a greyhound out of the gate, fleet and assured and focused on the business at hand. It's a subtle, ultimately staggering portrayal of a bloody-minded ideologue who convinced only himself.