8.8

1. chw
    Jun 5, 2015
    Casino is a great movie. It's almost as good as GoodFellas, but not quite (since they're almost the same story, even though they're both based on separate true stories). Still definitely worth a watch, though.
  2. Jul 19, 2014
    Out of all the gangster films - The godfather, Scarface, Goodfellas, Carlito's Way - none of them managed to get across how frightening it can be to trust some people in the same way. The length is not unnecessary - all of it is used to develop the story and characters with excellent narration and acting. You see a film like Scarface and it's mostly just a montage - a brilliant one, butOut of all the gangster films - The godfather, Scarface, Goodfellas, Carlito's Way - none of them managed to get across how frightening it can be to trust some people in the same way. The length is not unnecessary - all of it is used to develop the story and characters with excellent narration and acting. You see a film like Scarface and it's mostly just a montage - a brilliant one, but nevertheless too much jumping around. However, Casino manages to get the story across in a very believable way. The personal issues are so deeply explored, and the fact that Robert De Niro is a "good guy" really adds an extra perspective. In every other film, everyone ends up being a baddy and gets whacked or goes to jail. But in this one, it was interesting to see the story from two perspectives - De Niro's and Pesci's. The two actors suited their characters' roles perfectly, and the pacing was inline with how quickly one can imagine events developed. The rise, the top and the fall all got their relative share of the action according to how long they last. Best of all, the movie was not about doing crime for the sake of it - it was actually mostly about business and not killing people randomly with a few deals being used as a cover-up. The direction and general style of story and development etc. are almost identical to Goodfellas, so if you enjoyed that this is definitely worth watching as well. Expand
  3. Jul 2, 2014
    Nobody knows how to make a good gangster film like Martin Scorsese and he shows that ability here. Robert De Niro and Joe Pesci were phenomenal here as expected and, though I heard evidence to the contrary, I never thought the violence was too much. For the most part, it was relatively tame compared to other films I have seen. In addition, the story was very good and never failed to beNobody knows how to make a good gangster film like Martin Scorsese and he shows that ability here. Robert De Niro and Joe Pesci were phenomenal here as expected and, though I heard evidence to the contrary, I never thought the violence was too much. For the most part, it was relatively tame compared to other films I have seen. In addition, the story was very good and never failed to be completely engrossing. The characters were well crafted and their arcs very interesting to follow. There were a lot of them, sure, but it was never too overwhelming. In addition, the true story aspect of this made the story really work and I can see why Scorsese was drawn to this, as it feels like a very Scorsese film, as thematically it is similar to many of his other works. For the most part, it felt a bit like Goodfellas in a casino, but I did not really mind that. The only thing that really stuck out to me was the narration. I think the story could have been told without it and the narration, at times, could distract from the story. However, otherwise, this was a pretty easy one to watch, even with it being three hours long. Expand
  4. Jun 5, 2014
    Martin Scorsese gangster movies never get old. Yes it does have Joe Pesci once again playing a crazy gangster but he delivers again. Robert De Niro is charismatic as Sam Rothstein and Sharon Stone gives one of her best performances
  5. Mar 30, 2014
    Casino lays out it game plan, and then reels us into the gambling empire Scorcese has created. It is a bit scattered at first, but it gets its chips together and plays its cards right, for the most part. Eventually, the film goes off on tangents for certain storylines, and others get left dry. But in the end, the movie comes together and almost all loose ends are tied up. Casino will passCasino lays out it game plan, and then reels us into the gambling empire Scorcese has created. It is a bit scattered at first, but it gets its chips together and plays its cards right, for the most part. Eventually, the film goes off on tangents for certain storylines, and others get left dry. But in the end, the movie comes together and almost all loose ends are tied up. Casino will pass as one of Scorcese's longest pictures, but definitely not his best. Expand
  6. Mar 5, 2014
    Scorsese keeps coming back to the same theme and subject matter_ debauchery and its pitfalls. And he has found himself actors who are able to convey his message effectively. Casino deals with this subject in the business of gambling.

Sam Rothstein (Robert De Niro) is doing good running a casino for the Mafia in 1970s Las Vegas. Things get tricky as first Ginger (Sharon Stone) and then Nicky (Joe Pesci) come into his life. They're both unstable and careless, and have no vision for their futures like Sam has. Their antics get him into trouble time and again.

Like Scorsese's other movies, the plot takes a backstage to the characters and their personal quirky moments. He instead relies on multiple voice-overs to propel the plot forward. The plot does thicken with time, and not for good. It felt like he wasn't sure if he should concentrate on the characters or the plot development. Goodfellas found that balance ingeniously, so did his later movie The Wolf of Wall Street, both of which deal with the same themes.

The acting was sufficient, I suppose. De Niro does a decent enough job. Pesci's character is too similar to the one he played in Goodfellas. In essence, he is a character actor. Sharon Stone also did a good job.

I couldn't feel excited during a single scene in the entire movie. There was no sense of danger and urgency, despite the breakneck pacing. The film was just a scene after scene of greed, violence and narration. It got old after a while.

The production design, which brought the 1970s to life, did a wonderful job. The same camera angles were used as were in Goodfellas. The camera zooms in on people's faces the same way.

I found the movie a bit underwhelming. I felt like Scorsese wasn't done with the subject that he started out to tell in Goodfellas, and hence returned to it. He should have just made a single movie about it, or he should have made this one so different from the first that no one could have found any similarities.
  7. Jan 22, 2014
    Casino is a 3 hours entry to Martin Scorsese world, it's a journey in which you'll feel excited and happy the entire time, even with all the crimes, all the dirty events that's been going on.
    it's simply put a masterpiece with all it's element from the A-list cast to the screenplay to all the little things that the movie address, and as a movie critic i try to find a spot when the movie drops a little bit out of shape but i didn't find anything, that's why it's a masterpiece and it's even more entertaining than Goodfellas.
  8. Dec 8, 2013
    Although Casino is not a bad movie, it fails to thrill like Goodfellas does. Robert de Niro acting great, while Sharon Stone is indeed good but nothing outstanding and Joe Pesci playing his Goodfellas character all over again.
  9. Feb 23, 2013
    Scorsese's epic true story about how the mafia build Vegas, is as close to a perfect movie as I have ever seen! The story is just so good and you will be hard pressed to ever find a better pair of performances than the ones by Robert De Niro and Joe Pesci. I love this film, I loved it the first time I saw it, and I loved it the hundredth time I saw it. Casino follows a pair of gangstersScorsese's epic true story about how the mafia build Vegas, is as close to a perfect movie as I have ever seen! The story is just so good and you will be hard pressed to ever find a better pair of performances than the ones by Robert De Niro and Joe Pesci. I love this film, I loved it the first time I saw it, and I loved it the hundredth time I saw it. Casino follows a pair of gangsters who earned their reputations in Las Vegas in two very different ways. De Niro is Ace Rothstein, the man with the plan. He always made money, but since he was Jewish, he was never fully trusted. Pesci is of course, Nicky Santoro, the tough guy who says seven thousand times, while doing things his own way. Everything about this movie is pure genius. It's on my top ten list and I suspect will always have its place. Collapse
  10. Nov 7, 2012
    Like many of Martin Scorsese's films, Casino is non-formulaic. It shows us snip-its of what's going on, many snip-its. Some are better than others, but Casino's purpose isn't to tell a story, it's to study a group of people, and that it does with professional excellency.
  11. Oct 16, 2012
    Best movies I've seen in this year is Looper and batman the dark knight rises ,my all time favorite movie's are The Godfather (1972) .Taxi Driver (1976). Carrie (1976). Scarface (1983). GoodFellas (1990) . Raging Bull (1980) .Casino (1995) there masterpiece movies, what i don't like are the silly remakes why a new carrie movie ? this is the 4th movie carrie the made it's just stupidBest movies I've seen in this year is Looper and batman the dark knight rises ,my all time favorite movie's are The Godfather (1972) .Taxi Driver (1976). Carrie (1976). Scarface (1983). GoodFellas (1990) . Raging Bull (1980) .Casino (1995) there masterpiece movies, what i don't like are the silly remakes why a new carrie movie ? this is the 4th movie carrie the made it's just stupid ,Sissy Spacek and Piper Laurie are absolutely perfect ,they both got Oscar nominations out of it, for God sake! Expand
  12. Jun 28, 2012
    Fifteen years after its release, Casino remains one of Martin Scorcese's tightest and most focused films to date. The narrative flows beautifully, driven by misplaced trust, greed, and betrayal. The dialogue is sharp and delivered flawlessly by an absolutely brilliant cast. Robert de Niro gives what I consider to be his finest performance since Taxi Driver, absolutely nailing the role andFifteen years after its release, Casino remains one of Martin Scorcese's tightest and most focused films to date. The narrative flows beautifully, driven by misplaced trust, greed, and betrayal. The dialogue is sharp and delivered flawlessly by an absolutely brilliant cast. Robert de Niro gives what I consider to be his finest performance since Taxi Driver, absolutely nailing the role and outshining his co-stars. Joe Pesci also does well, and as usual he and de Niro have great on-screen chemistry. Despite being three hours long, every scene feels natural and necessary, with no real filler. While I don't consider it to be better than Goodfellas, it is still an incredible film in its own right. Expand
  13. Dec 28, 2011
    Almost an exact duplicate of Goodfellas only this time Joe Pesce has some weird, contrived accent. I feel like Scorsese could rattle off this kind of footage all day, and I would watch, but I've already had my fill.
  14. Oct 31, 2011
    Martin Scorsese's "Casino" is good looking and slick in structure with plenty of good actors performing. However, I didn't watch the whole movie; I knew nothing was going to change during the whole movie.
  15. Aug 22, 2011
    A great movie that manages to be quite the original when it comes to gangsta types. It doesn`t come off as nearly repetitive as "The Godfellas", even though we`ve seen Presci and De Niro in many such films. This is in a huge part achieved by major role by Sharon Stone, who exceeds all expectations. There is nothing simple about her character. She never comes off as simply bad or good.A great movie that manages to be quite the original when it comes to gangsta types. It doesn`t come off as nearly repetitive as "The Godfellas", even though we`ve seen Presci and De Niro in many such films. This is in a huge part achieved by major role by Sharon Stone, who exceeds all expectations. There is nothing simple about her character. She never comes off as simply bad or good. Sometimes you understand her fears, sometimes you condemn her. Nevertheless, she made her own plot in this movie. From others we see the same excellent actor work, though I liked the Rothstein`s character a lot more than in other such productions. This is because he never stopped being human. At some point he even enjoys the gangster life completely, although he always chooses the more in between solutions. Joe Pesci did the rest by creating an excellent villain, though sometimes also a bit confused. The music, the camera work also excellent. Almost 3 hours of sheer virtuosity. Expand
  16. Mar 23, 2011
    Just when you think you've had enough of Martin Scorcese's gangster movies, comes this captivating new thrill - Casino! Scorcese has Robert de Niro subtle, meticulous, and ruthless, Joe Pesci is every inch the tough-guy gangster who never backs down, but has a temper that is rather too immature and loose. Sam Rothstein (de Niro's character) is efficient and serves his bosses well - he'sJust when you think you've had enough of Martin Scorcese's gangster movies, comes this captivating new thrill - Casino! Scorcese has Robert de Niro subtle, meticulous, and ruthless, Joe Pesci is every inch the tough-guy gangster who never backs down, but has a temper that is rather too immature and loose. Sam Rothstein (de Niro's character) is efficient and serves his bosses well - he's always sending the goodies back home! Sharon Stone's Ginger is a wreck, drug-induced, unstable, irrational, and apparently, very stupid. Now, how did she lure Rothstein's cool cat personality to fall for her? That's everyday life for you - the smart, cool ones do fall for those types - beautiful, with a personality and body to match, until the gold sheens off the statuette day by day. Pesci's fight scenes are brutal, but real. There is no pretence in these scenes - there is enough violence in the world to disguise such brutal depictions on celluloid. I enjoyed the desert scene, when Rothstein captures the essence in his narration as Pesci's character races through the desert - you didn't know what you could get from Pesci's character. Casino is just a magnificently handled subject, Scorcese has not gone over the top or over-done it, it's impeccably handled, the actors are just apt in their parts, and it is just fascinating to see how the gulf spreads between de Niro and Pesci's characters. Thumps up for Casino - if I may dare say it, it surpasses Goodfellas in its power and impact, and ultimately overpowers Scorcese's later movie, The Departed. Yes it does, I'm betting on it....with Sam Rothstein's back-from-the-dead character on the line! Expand
  17. Feb 10, 2011
    This is a great movie, not the best in the gangster genre, but still great. Unlike a lot of gangster movies though, this doesn't focus on the mafia nearly as much as it could. As you may have guessed from the title it's about a Casino. This movie is entertaining, intelligent and good doses of violence too.
  18. Feb 7, 2011
    The progress of storyline is quite bad : too many disorganized switches of narrations and scenes; however, the movie is still good for Sharon Stone's performance.
  19. Jan 9, 2011
    Just looking at the trailer might seem enough to dismiss Casino as a companion piece to Goodfellas. Sure the argument has a basis. Pesci pretty much repeats his short-tempered mobster from Goodfellas. Both films have similar eclectic rock backgrounds (including heavy usage of Rolling Stones songs). Plus the f-bomb is dropped pretty frequently. Yet Casino still has some positive points toJust looking at the trailer might seem enough to dismiss Casino as a companion piece to Goodfellas. Sure the argument has a basis. Pesci pretty much repeats his short-tempered mobster from Goodfellas. Both films have similar eclectic rock backgrounds (including heavy usage of Rolling Stones songs). Plus the f-bomb is dropped pretty frequently. Yet Casino still has some positive points to help it stand on its own. From the great writing to the beautiful cinematography, Casino isn't a slapped-together and hastily-made effort. It is a great film with a great story that starts off on a documentary-esque note but slowly reveals itself as the gritty crime drama Scorsese fans fervently crave. The cast is great too. Pesci (who really is the only one who can play short-tempered gangsters like Nicky Santoro) and Stone (surprisingly) shine in their roles. But it is De Niro that deserves the cake as Ace Rothstein as he gives an exceptional performance showing emotion while smoothly restricting it with inner power.
    Of course, there are some scenes in Casino that feel overdone with language and/or violence to the point where the scene looks comedic. Plus there are scenes that kind of allude to Goodfellas (especially the Pesci beatdown scene) since actors from the former film are reused in Casino. And that kind of ruins some of the original magic that Casino holds, as it isn't a wholly new film. Nonetheless, the Scorsese-De Niro-Pesci trio rock well, regardless of the flaws.
  20. Aug 16, 2010
    LOL I really think DavidH nailed it. Usually this is where I'd lay into an overrated frat-boy standby, but I come to this page only to find that I've been preempted.
  21. Jake
    May 11, 2008
    On of the best gangster films ever made. Great cast.
  22. DavidH.
    Jun 23, 2007
    Its merits are few and far between. Badly shot (it looks ugly) and scarce in compelling performances. De Niro is his usual self, but displaying far less depth than in any other Scorcese role he's played. To have to watch the trials and tribulations of these lowlife characters for a merciless three hours is a massive chore. Like in the highly overrated, but superior Goodfellas, these Its merits are few and far between. Badly shot (it looks ugly) and scarce in compelling performances. De Niro is his usual self, but displaying far less depth than in any other Scorcese role he's played. To have to watch the trials and tribulations of these lowlife characters for a merciless three hours is a massive chore. Like in the highly overrated, but superior Goodfellas, these characters are as glib and one-dimensional as they are amoral and this time around, it not only appears as if he has recreated the very same formula, but has in the process of creating such an ambitious project has devoted far too little time to skillful writing or even a sense of plausibility. Thus while Goodfellas palpable sense of realism compensated for the lack of dimension in its story, Casino fails miserably in both departments. What it appears we're left with is 180 minutes of lowest common denominator sleaze and violence. With not a single compelling character or any trace of inventiveness or ingenuity, viewers are expected to appreciate it on that back of its abundant display of sadistic blood-drenched spectacle. Well not this one. Expand
  23. EconomistBR
    Apr 7, 2007
    A great movie, the plot was amazing. The dialogues unbelievable. The exchanges between Pesci and De Niro are classical.
  24. BlakeJ.
    Mar 11, 2007
    The sheer greatness of this movie cannot be expressed in words. The acting and directing are impeccable, as with most Scorsese films. A perfect aftermath to "Goodfellas". Joe Pesci does it again, creating a character, both menacingly evil, and heartwarming. Robert De Niro does his usual method acting, falling into the role of "Ace", encompassing every aspect of the cold man. And Sharon The sheer greatness of this movie cannot be expressed in words. The acting and directing are impeccable, as with most Scorsese films. A perfect aftermath to "Goodfellas". Joe Pesci does it again, creating a character, both menacingly evil, and heartwarming. Robert De Niro does his usual method acting, falling into the role of "Ace", encompassing every aspect of the cold man. And Sharon Stone's performance will live on as one of the greatest performances to ever come from a woman on screen. To all of those critics who whine about it being "too long", the entire movie, every scene, is necessary, I cannot imagine what I would have thought about the movie without seeing the demise of Ginger and Nicky. I mean seriously, 3 hours for a spectacular movie. Quit whining. Expand
  25. StevenS
    Mar 10, 2007
    One of the best movies I've ever seen, better than goodfellas and f-ing HILARIOUS.
  26. JoshC
    Nov 19, 2006
    Underrated upon it's initial release, this film is worth a second look. It;s not among Marty's best films, however, it's vastley more compelling than self important junk like Bringing out the Dead.
  27. Eon
    Oct 27, 2006
    I love this one as much as Goodfellas. What else to say?
  28. KennethM.
    May 18, 2006
    Probably the best mafia movie ever made.
  29. Mr.Hankey
    Apr 22, 2006
    Martin Scorcese's Casino is definitely interesting and held me through the whole movie. The story is brilliant but not nearly as brilliant as the performances. Deniro does a fine job as always but Sharon Stone and Joe Pesci are just as good. The movie ends and you sit and stare because so many things had happened to so many people.
  30. PabloG
    Jun 14, 2005
    Another flawless masterpeice by Scorsese and how many does he have? Five? Six? I actually think it's better than Goodfellas. Goodfellas is another classic, but Casino always been my favorite of the two.
  31. Clay
    Mar 16, 2005
    It doesn't get better.
  32. JoshT.
    Jan 14, 2005
    One of the best mafia movies i ever saw.
  33. MichaelM.
    Oct 23, 2004
    This film is wonderful. The acting is great, the plot is great and the directing is almost perfection. Great performances were given in by Joe Pesci, James Woods, Don Rickles and especially Robert DeNiro and Sharon Stone. The story is about a jewish casino owner Sam a.k.a. Ace (DeNiro) and his struggle with the gaming commision and Mafia business going on in his casino. The person who This film is wonderful. The acting is great, the plot is great and the directing is almost perfection. Great performances were given in by Joe Pesci, James Woods, Don Rickles and especially Robert DeNiro and Sharon Stone. The story is about a jewish casino owner Sam a.k.a. Ace (DeNiro) and his struggle with the gaming commision and Mafia business going on in his casino. The person who leads these casino crimes is a violent mental midget (Pesci) who is a made guy. When Sam marries a casino tramp Ginger (Stone) all hell breaks loose for him, especially when she tries to get in touch with her old scumbag boyfriend (Woods) and smuggle some money from Sam to him. When all this crap is going on Sam only can really trust one person, his next in command for the casino (Rickles). For mafia fans, this is a great movie. Rent it right now, but only after you've seen GoodFellas. (2/2/03) Expand
  34. PatC.
    Dec 19, 2003
    As educational as The Godfather, but more centered on its main characters. One of Scorsese's finest. Get it on tape or DVD - don't bother with the sanitized cable version. DeNiro & Stone are good, but Pesci is awesome as the soldier without a soul.
  35. BrandonP.
    Dec 7, 2003
    This movie demonstrated Scorses's brilliant skills and efforts of such a influential movie. It gave me a great understanding of life in Las Vegas in the 1970's, as a sense of such a violent society; over run by "greed", and the strive for power as individuals. By far, the best movie I have ever seen, because both the directing and acting is "fabulous"!
  36. YoonC.
    Sep 14, 2003
    Expansion of the world Scorsese explored in Goodfellas in terms of breadth and style, Casino shows a director at the height of his powers marshalling every tool of filmmaking to conjure up the bygone world of Las Vegas during the height of Mafia influence. It's both a celebration of money and power as well as a cautionary, spiritual tale of man's infinite capacity for greed and Expansion of the world Scorsese explored in Goodfellas in terms of breadth and style, Casino shows a director at the height of his powers marshalling every tool of filmmaking to conjure up the bygone world of Las Vegas during the height of Mafia influence. It's both a celebration of money and power as well as a cautionary, spiritual tale of man's infinite capacity for greed and self-destruction. The main character is the classical Jewish figure in history, a man of brilliance and talent, a foreigner tolerated by gentiles, yet doomed ultimately to be exiled once again. Awesome hurricane of a movie with Scorsese playing the god of cinema. Sharon Stone has never been better. Expand
  37. AaronS.
    Dec 31, 2002
    Absorbing, brilliant, well developed characters. However, some parts of it resulted in total deja vu, meaning that it was quite similar to many other films of the same genre. Maybe that's why it was left out of the Academy Awards race almost entirely. However, the three hours fly by, and the pic does not falter at all.
  38. PhillipD.
    Nov 2, 2002
    Preferable to Goodfellas. Excellent directing and cast..would've been a 10 if the storyline had a little more originality .
  39. DavidW.
    Oct 1, 2002
    It's hard too see why any director would put a scene in, where two brothers are beat nearly too death with bats, stripped and dumped in a hole in the ground and burried while still alive. Discusting scene.
  40. RyanT.
    Jul 22, 2002
    While this film is a little too similar to Goodfellas. This is an epic crime drama with great acting. Sharon Stone practically stole the show with Ginger.
  41. EdwardE.
    Jul 2, 2002
    Great score.
  42. FrankH.
    Apr 27, 2002
    This movie is a lot better than "GoodFellas" -better directing, better storyline, more details.
  43. JoshS.
    Mar 10, 2002
    Great movie.
  44. MichaelF.
    Nov 5, 2001
    This film isn't a classic like "Goodfellas." This is a typical Scorsese film, the rise and fall of a gangster. The film is too overlong by maybe and hour. The ending is way too violent and pointless. Some of the characters are way too familiar. The thing that saves this film is Scoroses's brilliant directing. His pacing is fine, the film is quite boring.

Several flaws, mostly minor, keep Casino on a plateau slightly below that of the director's best (Mean Streets, Raging Bull, Taxi Driver, Goodfellas).
  2. It's an ambitious film -- but also a scattered, unfocused one.
  3. Simultaneously quite watchable and passionless.