7.5

1. Nov 14, 2010
    I love this movie, Tom Hanks was awesome! I think this movie ir very realistic, one of the best perfomance of Tom Hanks!! the storyline is just incredible, A must-see movie
  2. Oct 6, 2012
    I found this a totally absorbing film; one of those that make the time pass much more quickly than you expect. You very quickly get involved in the story and you find that you actually care about this man stranded on this island. You really want him to survive and get back to the woman he loves; and you feel his pain when things don
  3. Feb 22, 2011
    Really Good only 8 because of the visual effects when he crashed on the island
  4. Feb 9, 2011
    What a great movie! It's brilliant. The idea, the acting, the dramatics. everything is fabulous. This movie shows in a very realistic way how a human being adjust and live in solitude. The deep feelings and emotions keeps you with high pulse till the end. After you've seen this movie you live different among your friends and just sometimes you scream 'Wilson!!!' when you are alone.....
  5. Mar 23, 2011
    Tom Hanks is mesmerising in Cast Away, but the overall high marks should go to director Robert Zemeckis, who, for me, is one of the insightful directors out there. The airplane crash scene, with the haunting noise of the swirling plane, the virtually realistic performance of the plane crew, especially Hanks' fright, is just an amazingly directed AND choreographed scene. Was it right forTom Hanks is mesmerising in Cast Away, but the overall high marks should go to director Robert Zemeckis, who, for me, is one of the insightful directors out there. The airplane crash scene, with the haunting noise of the swirling plane, the virtually realistic performance of the plane crew, especially Hanks' fright, is just an amazingly directed AND choreographed scene. Was it right for Helen Hunt's character to move on? Absolutely. Zemeckis has lent true validity to her character - she may have moved on, but she's still caring enough to keep every track of her boyfriend's voyage, from the time he got on the plane to the time he came back to the civilized world. I especially enjoyed the movie soundtrack theme during the "Wilson, I'm sorry" part - it was just apt. No overblowing orchestral music, just the right mix for a moving, serious film. We all have our fantasies - what if we were stranded alone on a remote island, without nothing to eat or drink? Hanks does it impeccably....it's totally understandable and reasonable for him to learn to break a coconut in half, sip water from a leaf, go exploring his new surrounding, or learn how to make fire. I was fascinated by how the story built up - and impressed by how Zemeckis keeps our eyes on the screen by simply focussing on Nolan, and not in how the world back home might have been reacting. The movie might be a fantasy-theme, but in no scene does it venture into the unknown, or the unrealistic - it is as normal as one would probably find themselves in, if one were alone in that environment. I recommend it very much - not in the least the penultimate scene when Nolan drives into his ex-girlfriend's house in a rainy evening. The characters do apt justice to their roles, how would you feel if the person whose dreams sustained you in that remote island for four years has now moved on, had a family of her own? Hanks and Hunt are just brilliant in their characters. Cast Away is a brilliant movie - watch it for positivity and optimism, not with scepticism or negativity - it is highly moving and uplifiting. I should know - it is one of my wife's favorite movies! Of course, there will always be questions asked about movie plots and directions, I can surely do without them! Expand
  6. Jan 10, 2013
    Track your parcel, because this is one FedEx package you're going to want on time.
    At almost two and a half hours in length, this is no walk in the park, or island for that matter, but Tom Hanks throws himself into this so much its hard to know what the clocking in time is.
    In the first ten minutes we start to see a convincing ad for FedEx to use concerning time on delivery, but that is besides the point.
    Hanks has one of those styles where we immediately feel sorry for whatever dire situation he finds himself in, his story in Cast Away is no different.
    But the film separates itself from anything you will have seen before. almost carried solely by Hanks, we have his character, FedEx systems analyst Chuck Noland, stranded on an unknown island due to a tragic plane crash, with nobody else there, he must fend for himself, and this is where we see Tom Hanks at his very best. Through is performance and Robert Zemeckis direction, we see a story of taking each day at a time if this sort of situation arose, not a 'right heres what Im going to do' type story, that is unrealistic, we see him licking water from a leaf for goodness sake, it brings everything to the table, being alone, emotional withdrawal and lengths we would go to just to stay alive, who ever thought of needing the dentist while on a deserted island.
    Hanks delivers a stellar performance, his weight loss as the film progresses is clearly visible, another indication of ability to to place himself in the mind of whoever he is portraying.
    This film was of course the birth of the infamous 'wilson ball' friendship which Hanks had with a simple blood stained Wilson ball, this was ahidden message within which was in are darkest and most despaired moments, its simplest things we can turn to, no matter who or what, to realise who we are and what we are capable of.
    What was surprising the most was how Hanks convinced us how alone he really was, talking to 'Wilson', fighting with coconuts and attempting to escape, it was all these realistic and yet simplistic gestures which created a thrilling journey and emotional performance from Hanks. It was definitely the quieter moments with no dialogue that really showed the capabilities of of Hanks, so much more than Forrest Gump on a desert island.
    FedEx need to maintain a reputation after this film, Hanks, on the other hand, has nothing to prove, see this to believe the brilliance.
  7. Nov 28, 2012
    Robert Zemeckis' "Cast Away" is a movie that is not only a revolutionary piece of film, but it is as poignant and affecting as they come. One of the most interesting and, often, unsung aspects of "Cast Away" is that Zemeckis and his crew basically crafted this movie on the fly and during production. In fact, the whole concept of "Wilson The Volleyball" was not conceived until about halfwayRobert Zemeckis' "Cast Away" is a movie that is not only a revolutionary piece of film, but it is as poignant and affecting as they come. One of the most interesting and, often, unsung aspects of "Cast Away" is that Zemeckis and his crew basically crafted this movie on the fly and during production. In fact, the whole concept of "Wilson The Volleyball" was not conceived until about halfway through shooting. Another interesting aspect of the film is that a very large portion of it has no dialogue, yet it still remains highly entertaining experience. Much of the film's complexity comes from the incredibly moving performance as Chuck Noland, a FedEx engineer who is tragically separated from everything he loves. Which leads me to another point, and, possibly, my favorite aspects of "Cast Away" - the themes conveyed. The movie is deeply driven by the central idea that life can be cruel and unforgiving thing, but that shouldn't stop us from pursuing something better. This theme is accentuated to an enormous degree by the movies soundtrack by Alan Silvestri. Though the soundtrack is absent throughout most of the first half of this movie, the movie's main theme is slowly introduced towards the end of the film. It's a very solemn musical piece that effectively illustrates the pain the Chuck Noland experiences throughout the movie, but it also presents a sort of hopeful tone to the film. In the end, I feel that "Cast Away" presents a number of innovative and impressive techniques that, ultimately, make it a near-perfect film. Expand
  8. Apr 30, 2013
    You cant think that movie without Tom Hanks. He is amazing, one of my favorites.
    The story is wonderful, full of felings and very realistic. You feel like you are lost in the island with mr. wilson.
  9. Oct 27, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A fantastic movie with a great sense of immersion due to the lack of music which also makes a realistic feal. Cast away is a fantastic (but really sad movie. Literally, I balled when he lost Wilson) movie with a great performance from Tom Hanks. Expand

1. The island phase of Hanks' performance is simply amazing.
    While "Robinson Crusoe" was a paean to the practical middle-class virtues that allowed its industrious hero (and the nation he represents) to re-create civilization out of nothingness, Cast Away is a far less triumphalist peek into the nothingness at the heart of civilization.
  3. Reviewed by: Frank Lovece
    This is no film for the squeamish.