7.5

1. Apr 5, 2011
    If you are waiting for a sequel for 'Before Sunset' , this movie wont disappoint. Juliette Binoche plays her part with such clarity that one feels like she is the person she plays. Worthy of any actress award.
  2. Mar 21, 2011
    I don't know why critics gave this movie scores that high. I was bored a significant part of it. At times the movie was quite interesting, the end intriguing but overall it is not a movie that I will remember in one week...
  3. Apr 1, 2011
    This film is a puzzle that grows on you after leaving the theater. In my view many of the critics have entirely misinterpreted it. The philosophical debate that occupies the forefront of the story is a disguise for a deadly serious and contrary reality behind it. In any case the story is beautifully filmed and acted and will echo in the mind long.
  4. Jan 7, 2012
    Be careful if you prefer your movies wrapped up in a pleasant little bow with an obvious beginning, middle, end, and with all questions and conflicts answered and sorted out. Certified Copy raises hundreds of absorbing and metaphysical questions, none of which will be answered for you at the end. In fact, the audience is cerebrally supposed to do the heavy lifting here. If you see this with your significant other or a friend, plan on dedicating the hour post-film to declaring and defending your arguments on who the couple is, where they are in their relationship, and what is the truth. Writer/director Abbas Kiarostami is not teasing his audience as some viewers might accuse him; rather, he is challenging them. If you do not want to work in your movie going experience, go to your local multiplex and watch the latest forgettable wide release. However, if you are intrigued by piecing together intellectual puzzle pieces, Certified Copy will give you as much of a contest of wits as the Sunday New York Times crossword puzzle. From the setup; however, there are no signs at all that this film will be anything other than a modern, romantic European dialogue driven movie. This is Before Sunrise in a small Tuscan village with middle-aged characters instead of Vienna seen through the eyes of naive early-20s backpackers. The man, James Miller (William Shimell), is on a book tour in Italy because unexpectedly, his work has become quite popular with Italians, even more popular than in his native England. His premise concerns original art versus its copies. Why are originals valued and exalted more than copies which may be even better than the original it was forged from? Furthermore, why does having the knowledge of whether or not a piece of art is actually the original change the viewerâ Expand
  5. Jan 7, 2012
    Abbas Kiarostami is one of the greatest directors of all time, and this film is just another masterpiece of his brilliant works, i recommend it to all.
  6. Jul 29, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I love the dialogue in this movie, and the intrigue throughout most of what these two people's relationship is. I also love the way after each intense exchange the director gives you quiet to ponder what has been said and what emotions the characters are going through. My problems with the story all stem from the fact that we never really have anyone or anything to get emotionally attached to or root for. I wish we had seen at least a little interaction between the father and son instead of just complete indifference. Overall this movie was tremendously written and very well acted. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Marjorie Baumgarten
    Apr 28, 2011
    The languages spoken throughout Certified Copy slide easily amongst Italian, French, and English, further creating the sense of none of them being authentic.
  2. Reviewed by: James Berardinelli
    Apr 27, 2011
    In some ways, it's a simple character drama, but the central conundrum disallows an uncomplicated interpretation. I was never bored.
  3. Reviewed by: Marc Mohan
    Apr 7, 2011
    A mental workout of the most invigorating sort.