6.6

1. Apr 3, 2012
    Weird on every level, but that is what made it truely what it was. This remake is far better than the first crappy one. Depp was great and was such a lively character. Burton thought this one out well.
  2. Aug 11, 2010
    Tim Burton is a master at constructing brilliant and unique films that boggle the mind and defy all beliefs there films that deliver a bold new twist each time but what makes Burton a master is his attention and devotion to his story. The detail and meticulous design of the sets, the costumes, the atmosphere of his films and how they all in some strange way impart a certain message ofTim Burton is a master at constructing brilliant and unique films that boggle the mind and defy all beliefs there films that deliver a bold new twist each time but what makes Burton a master is his attention and devotion to his story. The detail and meticulous design of the sets, the costumes, the atmosphere of his films and how they all in some strange way impart a certain message of sorts that has a bizarre connection to real life. Tim Burton's 2005 adaptation of Roald Dahl's beloved children book "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" has a method to its madness and a meaning to its story. "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" is one of Burton's best films since Big Fish and Sleepy Hollow. Tim Burton's take on the legendary tale of eccentric chocolate maker Willy Wonka and young dreamer Charlie Bucket is a film of meticulous design, it is meant to be a children movie but "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" plays out better as a quirky adult fantasy adventure with a PG rating. Burton doesn't spare any detail he uses all his style and energy to create the bleak world of Charlie Bucket and all his imagination and light hearted enthusiasm to make the beautiful chocolate factory of Willy Wonka, it's astounding how it works, how it moves along flawlessly telling it's story and just wowing the audience in each and every scene. It is not a cheap exploitation flick with a famous name slapped on it it is a story about a person, a place and a situation that comes to be fall that person (Freddie Highmore). Burton has not only updated a classic story for a modern generation he has effectively made a film that is both true to his quirky style and mainstream enough for modern audiences, It's one of the best films of the last decade and also one of Burton's very best. The film only works whether you believe in what you are seeing; it succeeds on how you look at it if you look at it with a cynical point of view than this film will be a terrible time and a complete waste of money to you. However, if you keep your eyes open and your mind clear of any doubt than this film will work wonders on your soul, your imagination and your imagination. Tim Burton's "Charlie and the Chocolate Factoryâ Expand
  3. Oct 23, 2010
    Tim Burton is the master of darkness. every movie he makes kicks a**. including this one. the cast was very supporting, the songs were enjoyable, the visuals were brilliant, and the cinematography was awesome. with Burton around, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is the best movie ever made.
  4. saffronf
    Aug 29, 2005
    I loved the film as soon as i watched it the umpa lumpas are my fav because i loved thier song chewing chewing they should make a cd from thier songs. johnny depp was really great for the part of willy wonka.
  5. LemonC.
    Jul 15, 2005
    Anyone who says this movie sucks is just a hater because this movie is fierce!
  6. emmaw.
    Aug 31, 2005
    I think it awsome. JONNY YOU ROCK and yer i want the golden ticket =p
  7. CrystalS.
    Oct 27, 2005
    I loved this movie. Tim Burton is the best no matter whta people think. The movie was NOT a remake or a sequel..It was what tim thought it should be so he expressed it how he saw it, U go tim burton. Work ur magic!!!
  8. jr
    Aug 9, 2005
    Superb!
  9. FabioC.
    Sep 29, 2005
    Wonderful movie. Great acting (Depp plays an intriguing Wonka, Highmore is a truly expressive Charlie), stunning visuals, usual great music by Elfman, great humour, the Oompa-Loompas... Highly recommended.
  10. alicew.
    Oct 24, 2005
    Delightfully creepy.
  11. Julio
    Jul 30, 2005
    Is great.
  12. WallyS.
    Dec 6, 2005
    A true family film, technically masterfull, brilliantly directed, and Depp once more prooves himself an excellent actor. The art direction, fantastic. The score, superb...and the fun never stops.
  13. ChrisJ
    Jul 15, 2005
    This is fantastic. Even better than the original. It has more vision and is true to the book. SEE IT IN IMAX, It is even beter.
  14. JoeC.
    Jul 16, 2005
    i think people like Seth A should let big people review movies- and maybe so some homework. The movie is based off on a book.
  15. JosipM
    Jul 16, 2005
    The best movie in quite some time.
  16. Ed
    Jul 17, 2005
    Honestly, the best move I've seen all summer, and one of the most entertaining movies I've seen in quite some time. Johnny Depp's performance is hysterically quirky and still loveable despite what all the critics say.
  17. ClintM.
    Jul 18, 2005
    Johnny Dep is BRILLIANT! Can I just say that? He created the hilarious and memorable "Jack Sparrow" in Pirates of the Carribean, and now he's made a whole new, whackier, weirder, and BETTER Willy Wonka! There's a darker side to be seen in this Wonka but a darker side w/a story to tell. Which is another reason I enjoyed this version just as much (if not more) as the original: Johnny Dep is BRILLIANT! Can I just say that? He created the hilarious and memorable "Jack Sparrow" in Pirates of the Carribean, and now he's made a whole new, whackier, weirder, and BETTER Willy Wonka! There's a darker side to be seen in this Wonka but a darker side w/a story to tell. Which is another reason I enjoyed this version just as much (if not more) as the original: there was more "meat on the bones". There's still a lot of the same mishaps and eye candy as before, but we get a new ending which is far superior to the original in my eyes. The kids are hilarious and annoying at the same time, the visuals are superb, but again, Johnny Depp is absolutely wonderful, proving he's the best Hollywood's got to offer right now. You'll find yourself smiling and laughing the entire time! Expand
  18. MikeT.V.
    Jul 18, 2005
    Almost too good. Burton, Depp, and a fantastic chocolate factory. seriously, what more do you want?
  19. RobertB.
    Jul 25, 2005
    Suprisingly warm with a picture perfect ending. I have to admit that I was a bit worried about this film prior to seeing it due in part to the lukewarm reviews I had read. Especially considering most of these reviews focused on a poor performance from Johnny Depp. Well, you can always count on the critics to muddy things up, most predictably regarding any film that is a "remake." They Suprisingly warm with a picture perfect ending. I have to admit that I was a bit worried about this film prior to seeing it due in part to the lukewarm reviews I had read. Especially considering most of these reviews focused on a poor performance from Johnny Depp. Well, you can always count on the critics to muddy things up, most predictably regarding any film that is a "remake." They don't like'em, period. I, however, found Depp to be quite good. Very funny and creatively unique. Both of which are becoming trademark characteristics. Charlie was likeable and warm and all the other characters are well cast and non-distracting. If you are going to see a newer version of the original, don't go. Remember, this is not a musical and is defintely recognizeable as a Tim Burton film. I particularly enjoyed the flashback scenes of Wonka as a child as well as discovering the umpa-lumpas. A visually interesting piece, laced with a quirky style of cerebral humor, and slightly altered to stand on it's own as a film Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is a keeper. Expand
  20. JohnH.
    Aug 3, 2005
    Perhaps I am easily impressed, but I found Depp's faces to be absolutely hilarious. And, can you believe the nerve of the people that suggest that the Oompa-Loompa songs (song) were better in the original?! Watching the original at my house, and then seeing this, I found I enjoyed Charlie much more.
  21. Melissa
    Aug 9, 2005
    I thought this movie was very good. Johnny Depp did excellent in this movie, his portrayal of Willy Wonka was great. I prefer this movie to the original Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.
  22. AustinG.
    Sep 24, 2005
    I really loved this movie. In the original Charlie and the Chocolate factory, the producers captured all of Roald Dahl's goofiness but did not reallly have a point or a plot. To be frank, the book was one of my least favorites of Dahl's for these exact reasons. However, in this new movie, Tim Burton gave life to a formerly dull and uninspiring movie. Also, he did something that I really loved this movie. In the original Charlie and the Chocolate factory, the producers captured all of Roald Dahl's goofiness but did not reallly have a point or a plot. To be frank, the book was one of my least favorites of Dahl's for these exact reasons. However, in this new movie, Tim Burton gave life to a formerly dull and uninspiring movie. Also, he did something that I have onlly ever seen before in I, Robot. I liked this movie in spite of all its flaws because the director, instead of following the lead of countless other book-inspired producers, took the general spirit of the book, and then built the sory around this, leaving much of the original story behind. Though Burton stuck more to the original plot, he changed it just enough to make it better. This truly is a masterpiece of a movie. Collapse
  23. GregL.
    Sep 27, 2005
    Nothing against Gene Wilder, but this is light years ahead of the treacly original in terms of visuals, overall acting, and sticking to the original intent of Roald Dahl's book. It's also worth noting that this version is officially sanctioned by the Dahl family. And why do some critics bash Depp's portrayal? Perhaps they were expecting the second coming of Gene Wilder... I Nothing against Gene Wilder, but this is light years ahead of the treacly original in terms of visuals, overall acting, and sticking to the original intent of Roald Dahl's book. It's also worth noting that this version is officially sanctioned by the Dahl family. And why do some critics bash Depp's portrayal? Perhaps they were expecting the second coming of Gene Wilder... I think he did a great job. Expand
  24. KumarR.
    Nov 21, 2005
    Tim Burton has done a great job in adapting Roald Dahl's classic BOOK. "Wily Wonka and the Chocolate Factory" is not a concern here. This is not a remake of the movie. It's an adaptation of the book. Johnny Depp and Freddie Highmore play a wonderful Wily Wonka and Charlie respectively. A must see for all.
  25. TonyaT.
    Nov 8, 2005
    I loved this movie! Tim Burton is my favorite director and this was wonderfully creepy and fun!
  26. jennyh.
    Oct 18, 2005
    This was the best movie of many i sawe this summer...IT ROX MY SOX. I just love those oopa loompas. I coould listen to that Agustus Gloop song over and over again!!!
  27. marshallm.
    Oct 18, 2005
    It's great entertainment! for younger kids and adults. go see it!
  28. J.S.
    Dec 12, 2005
    It is great!!! whatever Johnny Depp has a role is SUPER!!!! I LOVE JOHNNY DEPP!!!!
  29. richardb.
    Dec 18, 2005
    Love Roald Dahl's books. Didnt love the Gene Wilder Wonka movie. Loved Beetlejuice & Pee Wee's Big Adventure. Didnt love Scissorhands or Corpse Bride. This Chocolate Factory, I must say, was a sweet surprise. I did miss Pure Imagination & the Oompah Loompah songs from the older flick, but everything else was vastly improved. I even thought the "dad was a mean dentist" backstory Love Roald Dahl's books. Didnt love the Gene Wilder Wonka movie. Loved Beetlejuice & Pee Wee's Big Adventure. Didnt love Scissorhands or Corpse Bride. This Chocolate Factory, I must say, was a sweet surprise. I did miss Pure Imagination & the Oompah Loompah songs from the older flick, but everything else was vastly improved. I even thought the "dad was a mean dentist" backstory was a brilliant conceit, maybe not literally true to Dahl's writings, but certainly true to Dahls spirit. Great casting, from every face in Charlie Buckets hovel to every mean boy or girl and enabling parent in the Factory. And Johnny Depp just added another classic characterization to his trophy wall. Speaking of Classics, after a long dry spell, Tim Burton has finally created another one. Expand
  30. JeremyD.
    Jul 13, 2005
    Turn off your brain, don't worry when it deviates from the book, and immerse yourself in the wonderful, wacky, illogical world of Tim Burton. This is a very entertaining visual feast that it's best to not think too hard about.
  31. MikeL
    Jul 14, 2005
    Almost wholly true to the book....an amazing film.
  32. Jan
    Jul 14, 2005
    A treat for all ages. Depp and Burton have done it again.
  33. DearPrudenceBeatles
    Jul 15, 2005
    I just saw this movie and it was fantastic. While Johnny Depp might have been scary, I think that was the point. The person who doesn't like this movie because it was slightly scary should stay away from any movie not rated G.
  34. MarshallM
    Jul 15, 2005
    One of those movies, so full of originality and visual spectacle, its almost hard to not like it! a must see! (PS, if ur a big fan of the original, u might not like this movie, but nonetheless, a wonderful fantasy film)
  35. DaveS.
    Jul 15, 2005
    I just got back from a packed theatre. The place was full of many kids who seemed to love it. Johnny Depp was perfect as Willy Wonka...odd and eccentric. Charlie and the Grandpa were perfectly cast. The entire theatre clapped at the end of the film. The sets were gorgeous!
  36. ScottM.
    Visually Stunning, Entertaining and Dark! Tim Burton & Johnny Depp
  37. Cass
    Jul 15, 2005
    Visually stunning, heartwarming, funny, and just loads of fun. The audience I saw it with loved it, and clapped and cheered at the end. It had some flaws but those were insignificant compared to the overall quality of the movie.
  38. NickH
    Jul 15, 2005
    It's the book onscreen, combining Dahl's inventive and strange plot with Burton's gothic yet colorful vision. Do not mistake this for a remake. It is a "reimagining," much like the recent Planet of the Apes (also Burton). It takes the same source material, but instead of viewing it the same way as someone else in the past viewed it, it shows another way that the source It's the book onscreen, combining Dahl's inventive and strange plot with Burton's gothic yet colorful vision. Do not mistake this for a remake. It is a "reimagining," much like the recent Planet of the Apes (also Burton). It takes the same source material, but instead of viewing it the same way as someone else in the past viewed it, it shows another way that the source material could be viewed. This movie, as it should, portrays Wonka (Depp) as a creepy, antisocial, germophobic ecentric. He is not Michael Jackson, please, it's not Michael Jackson - even though Michael Jackson is a creepy, antisocial, germophobic ecentric who believes he is a child. Wonka, however, holds a sort of contempt for kids, seeming to dislike each and every one of them. He's more like a high - pitched, creepy Howard Hughes. Speaking of those kids, they each give a great preformance. Their parents - top marks for Charlie's grandfather - do a fantastic job as well. As you may have guessed by the previews Burton's vision of CF has sharp colors, crazy sights, and a sort of gothic whimsy. He did a fantastic job. Some quick notes, the plot is tight and true to the book - no dancing old people and there ARE squirrels! There is only ONE Ompa Loompa, he does a great job AND he's the only one who sings (he plays all of the little guys, as in the novel). That sums it up, great movie. Does not remake, it reinvents. I don't know what Prudence K's problem is, but I suggest you disregard her comment on the movie as it makes no sense. It is, in fact, the second best of the summer (no, WOTW is not one... it's Batman). Expand
  39. GerardK.
    Jul 15, 2005
    Brilliant visuals and amazing direction make Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and ideal family film.
  40. Jax
    Hands down.... awesome.
  41. AlexaS.
    Jul 15, 2005
    I thought this movie was great! I've always been a fan of tim burton, and when he teams up with Johnny Depp it never goes wrong! I was happy that Tim Burton stayed close to the book. Johnny put his own spin on the character of Willy Wonka, he made it a little diturbing and fun. You have to expect that kind of character comming from Johnny Depp, especially when he's doing a Tim I thought this movie was great! I've always been a fan of tim burton, and when he teams up with Johnny Depp it never goes wrong! I was happy that Tim Burton stayed close to the book. Johnny put his own spin on the character of Willy Wonka, he made it a little diturbing and fun. You have to expect that kind of character comming from Johnny Depp, especially when he's doing a Tim Burton film. This movie was brilliant! I cannot wait to see it again! Johnny Depp performance is unbeatable! He is one of the greatest actors of his generation, and this movie only more so proves my point! Expand
  42. JoeyM.
    Jul 16, 2005
    Deep Roy, as all of the Oompa Loompa, is outstanding in this, one of the most fun movies of the last year. I found Wonka and his chocolate factory to be delightfully creepy. A sense of menace (and a sense that he had planned somewhat gruesome fates for the four naughty children) hung over the chocolate factory from the factory gates open. As for the four naughty children and their creepy Deep Roy, as all of the Oompa Loompa, is outstanding in this, one of the most fun movies of the last year. I found Wonka and his chocolate factory to be delightfully creepy. A sense of menace (and a sense that he had planned somewhat gruesome fates for the four naughty children) hung over the chocolate factory from the factory gates open. As for the four naughty children and their creepy parents, they were terrific. Veruca Salt in particular was great fun. This is that rare movie that I will try and see a second time. Expand
  43. JohnnyD.
    Jul 16, 2005
    I just saw this movie last night and it was the best movie I've seen in some time. Tim Burton is an amazing filmmaker.
  44. JoeS.
    Jul 16, 2005
    This was an amazing reimagination of the Dahl classic. Apparently, Tim Burton hadn't seen the first movie with Gene Wilder until after he was done making the movie. So, I was initially disappointed that there were no orange Oompa Loompas singing their song. However, the new Oompas were terrific. Johnny Depp was terrific in this role and the new Charlie is great.
  45. AllegraS.
    Jul 16, 2005
    Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was the greatest movie I ever saw! It was wildly funny.
  46. JamesP.
    Jul 16, 2005
    I've seen the 1971 version easily over 100 times throughout the course of my 24 years on this earth. This T.B. remake is just as amazing as the first. It's beautiful thing.
  47. JoshuaM.
    Jul 16, 2005
    Much closer to the spirit (and letter) of the book than the saccharine 1971 film. High points: Lots of twisted humor, a truly memorable and touching performance by Freddie Highmore as Charlie, the hilarious Missi "Galaxy Quest" Pyle, mostly delightful art direction, great production numbers with the Oompa Loompas (who are far closer to the Oompa Loompas described in the book than were the Much closer to the spirit (and letter) of the book than the saccharine 1971 film. High points: Lots of twisted humor, a truly memorable and touching performance by Freddie Highmore as Charlie, the hilarious Missi "Galaxy Quest" Pyle, mostly delightful art direction, great production numbers with the Oompa Loompas (who are far closer to the Oompa Loompas described in the book than were the green-haired, orange-skinned aliens in the first film), and a chocolate river that actually looks like chocolate as opposed to the dirty water in the first film. Lows: as with the first film, why is it so difficult to find a decent actor for Augustus Gloop? Left out the book's (and first film's) sequence with the fizzy lifting drinks. Still never felt we got to know enough about Wonka, but what backstory there was felt simplistic and tacked-on. Depp certainly had the oddity, but not the capacity for merriment, of the Wonka in the book. Overall, far more satisfying than the 1971 film, but still lacking a little something. Expand
  48. Todd
    Jul 17, 2005
    Great movie with a sarcastic edge.
  49. RussellL-H
    Jul 17, 2005
    Funny, visually creative, and REAL trained squirrels!?!?! what more could you ask for?
  50. kathyS.
    Jul 18, 2005
    As seen on an imax screen at a midnite showing it was a pure delight. quirky, it is and i see critics are all over the place with it. which means it will probably be a cult classic.
  51. PaulF.
    Jul 21, 2005
    Let me first start out by saying I absolutely loved the first movie with Gene Wilder. I would have given it a perfect ten hands down. It's pretty hard to live up to that kind of legacy. Well all in all the remake came as close as reasonably expected to duplicating the feat. It did have a few flaws such as the horrible lip sychning (sp?) by the Oompa Loompas and an anti climatic Let me first start out by saying I absolutely loved the first movie with Gene Wilder. I would have given it a perfect ten hands down. It's pretty hard to live up to that kind of legacy. Well all in all the remake came as close as reasonably expected to duplicating the feat. It did have a few flaws such as the horrible lip sychning (sp?) by the Oompa Loompas and an anti climatic ending. It seemed as if the movie stopped and started a whole new short movie and then ended. This part was my least favorite part. However there were so many good parts, the puppet show, all the wonderous rooms, the dance sequences of the Oompa Loompas, and even Johnny did a better job acting then I had expected. His character's mentally off balanced nature definitely showed through. This Version of Willy Wonka was less stable and may have been attempting to go for more of a dark cult classic effect, or maybe it's just Tim Burton's style. Whatever the case I found myself laughing out loud many a time. It's definately worth seeming on the big screen. Two thumbs and two more big toes up for this one. Expand
  52. ChelseaM.
    Jul 23, 2005
    It was the best movie. It was so hillariouis. Johnny Depp was really good and did the part better than anybody else. He was perfect. He made the movie as funny as it was.
  53. SamanthaM.
    Jul 23, 2005
    I loved it it was hillarious best movie johnny depp has ever done.
  54. AlanS.
    Jul 24, 2005
    How can you people diss this movie? It rocked my face off. Great acting and awesome music. Some people say the 'modern oompa loompa songs were stupid'. No they weren't, they rocked. Oh ya, take a look at the over rated old movies songs, pretty stupid if you ask me. This movie is so much better than the old one, Johnny Depp does a great job.
  55. DavidM
    Jul 25, 2005
    This is a more faithful interpretation of Roald Dahl's 1964 classic story than Stuart's 1971 flick starring Gene Wilder. Whereas Wilder's Wonka was a wistful hippie with a mischievious side, Depp's take on the candyman is much more delightfully sinister. In this version Wonka is the child that was denied a childhood by his strict father (quite a welcome surprise by This is a more faithful interpretation of Roald Dahl's 1964 classic story than Stuart's 1971 flick starring Gene Wilder. Whereas Wilder's Wonka was a wistful hippie with a mischievious side, Depp's take on the candyman is much more delightfully sinister. In this version Wonka is the child that was denied a childhood by his strict father (quite a welcome surprise by Christopher Lee). He's completely uncomfortable around others yet he has a caustic and sharp wit that allows him free reign to smile and preen with saccharin insincerity, yet tell you what is really on his mind in the same moment. Depp is genuinely creepy with his pasty complexion and foppish hairdo, and parallels to the Once King of Pop are undeniable and darkly funny. In fact, the whole movie is darker. The four brats that accompany Charlie on their tour are cast in even more reprehensible molds than before, and I smiled with sadistic glee along with Wonka as one by one their failings do them in. I would rather Burton have kept their ultimate fates a mystery as Stuart did, however. Freddie Highmore, his Grandpa Joe and the rest of the Bucket clan are probably the only "good" people in this film, which unfortunately forces Charlie's saintly character into the background against the more bizzare characters, which is a shame, since the story really is supposed to be about him. Ultimately it is Charlie's good nature and love for his family that saves the day and may have even redeemed the misanthropic Wonka. The lone sour note is the transformation of the Oompa Loompas into dour pygmies rather than the mythical, impish munchkins from Stuart's film. Indian actor Deep Roy was digitally multiplied over a hundred times to create the horde of Oompa Loompas, and it's mind-numbingly obvious (though oddly apropos to an industrial factory work force). "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" is another strange but eerily enjoyable Burton film and Depp does a perfect job not only filling Gene Wilder's shoes but returning the character to its roots. Expand
  56. NickR
    Jul 29, 2005
    This movie is great, one of the best of the summer (hell, the year)! To me it's better than those shlockfests Cinderella Man and Crash. If you don't like this movie, there's something wrong with you and I have the deepest sorrow for you. You may have become a media drone, comparing Depp to Jackson. You'd never say that if the 'trial' hadn't took place This movie is great, one of the best of the summer (hell, the year)! To me it's better than those shlockfests Cinderella Man and Crash. If you don't like this movie, there's something wrong with you and I have the deepest sorrow for you. You may have become a media drone, comparing Depp to Jackson. You'd never say that if the 'trial' hadn't took place this year. Or, you don't want to admit that the original had a fantastic Gene Wilder, and that's it... the songs, children, and direction all stank in the original. Maybe, perhaps, your inner child died? Did it render you emotionless and cold. Are you a cynic/snob, who hates movies like this? This is a great film, I'm sure Dahl would be happy. Please, don't whine about the "Of course you ___" moment, they had to flush out Wonka's childhood. And to Katherine B, your review doesn't warrant a 1... seems more like a 5 or 6 review. **Please, everyone, a 1 means "scum" not "wasn't too good." Likewise, a 10 doesn't mean "pretty good" it means "masterpiece." Think about your score.** Expand
  57. RachelD.
    Aug 15, 2005
    A typical modern kids-10-and-older movie would star the sticky-sweet, peroxide-dipped Hilary Duff, whose acting skills need to be not brushed up on, but sweeped. It would also be 80 minutes long - just long enough until the dragged-along moms and dads suffocate of stupidity. But not "Charlie". This movie is full of whimsical delight, frivolous fun, and ACTUALLY teaches a lesson. The A typical modern kids-10-and-older movie would star the sticky-sweet, peroxide-dipped Hilary Duff, whose acting skills need to be not brushed up on, but sweeped. It would also be 80 minutes long - just long enough until the dragged-along moms and dads suffocate of stupidity. But not "Charlie". This movie is full of whimsical delight, frivolous fun, and ACTUALLY teaches a lesson. The camerawork is beautiful, and the music perfectly fits the creepy-but-magical theme that the movie centers around. The only reason I took off a star? With his pale skin, dark high-shouldered coat, and excruciatingly feminine voice, Johnny Depp is one Michael Jackson-like Willy Wonka. But don't let that stop you. This movie is a visual delight that will entertain everyone. Expand
  58. TylerD.
    Aug 15, 2005
    A truly magical movie. I loved it.
  59. DeannaM.
    Aug 4, 2005
    Everything about this movie was great, except possible the Oompa Loompa songs. The rest of the music on this film was awesome, I espescially like the Willy Wonka song.
  60. Sam
    Aug 5, 2005
    As odd as it is hearing this from a 12 year old kid that loves violence, crude humor, and sex scenes, I loved this movie. I thought it was the 3rd best film of the summer (First Batman and 2nd, gulp, War of the Worlds, 3rd This and 4th Star Wars) and it's humorous, flawless, and weird. A Must-see.
  61. R.Dalvi
    Mar 26, 2006
    Good movie. Delicious, chocolaty and sweet-at-heart. Depp rocks. Very imaginative.
  62. MissyA.
    Jan 8, 2009
    This movie was great, funny and entertaining. I love the BOOK "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" since I was young. I've watched the "Willy Wonka" movie a million times and I always thought something was missing...Now, finally Tim Burton has done the BOOK justice. I think most people need to relax. People are going crazy because they think it is a remake when in fact it is a This movie was great, funny and entertaining. I love the BOOK "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" since I was young. I've watched the "Willy Wonka" movie a million times and I always thought something was missing...Now, finally Tim Burton has done the BOOK justice. I think most people need to relax. People are going crazy because they think it is a remake when in fact it is a re-adaption of the BOOK. Tim captured the true spirit of Roald Dahl's genius. And Depp did a wonderful job in capturing the true spirit of Willy Wonka from the BOOK. Expand
  63. MikeG.
    Nov 12, 2005
    With a lot of pressure to live up to, Burton's version of "Charlie" stakes out its own ground and soars on its own merits. This isn't the hippy-trippy early 70s colorful world of Willy Wonka, but instead a postmodern dark version of the tale, and probably far closer to what Dahl initially intended. The film works, entertaining as well as leaving you a little unsettled.
  64. lalapoloza
    Nov 13, 2005
    Pros: Stunnningly original, great acting done by Depp, dark humor. Cons: Some things from the original were taken out. Overview: One of the best most orignila comedies in years. Gets us thinking, where would the world be without Tim Burton.
  65. LineaK.
    Oct 14, 2005
    It was soooooooo funny! Depp adds a whole new twist to the story.
  66. ScottJ
    Nov 9, 2005
    Hey geniuses, the ones bashing the film as a "remake of a classic," or as one person put it, gave it a "new name" and "tried to make it a little darker," here's a newsflash: this was originally a BOOK. The name isn't new, it's the original title of the book, the 'classic' Diz-nee film changed the title, and actually made Dahl's story sappy and LESS dark. Hey geniuses, the ones bashing the film as a "remake of a classic," or as one person put it, gave it a "new name" and "tried to make it a little darker," here's a newsflash: this was originally a BOOK. The name isn't new, it's the original title of the book, the 'classic' Diz-nee film changed the title, and actually made Dahl's story sappy and LESS dark. Burton's film isn't perfect, but he comes close to getting it right while the Diz-nee film got most of it wrong. The new music ain't great, but it's a lot better than the syrupy show-tunes wedged into the Diz-nee film. Expand
  67. ktriplex
    Dec 17, 2005
    This movie is so awesome, all of the actors in it did a much better job in this one than in the first. when i saw this movie i new from the start that it would be much better than the first. i didn't yoosto be a Depp fan but now i am!!
  68. MarcelaD.
    Dec 3, 2005
    Was a good movie. The actors were well chosen. It certainly got me laughing. I think it was better and funnier than the old one.
    Jul 15, 2005
    Who the hell are you people to rate it with a 5 or below. Great acting, funny scenes, beautiful designs, Tim Burton, I salute you, this is probably his best movie yet. It mad me happy even though it was dark.
  70. ReboV.
    Jul 15, 2005
    Start by putting the 1971 version out of your head. This is not even attempting to recreate that film but instead simply take the book and relate that to film. The imagery is bizarre and yet astounding. Johnny Depp is naturally the star of the show, choosing a performance of a man who has isolated himself so long that he is a bundle of contained neuroses, setting him well apart from Gene Start by putting the 1971 version out of your head. This is not even attempting to recreate that film but instead simply take the book and relate that to film. The imagery is bizarre and yet astounding. Johnny Depp is naturally the star of the show, choosing a performance of a man who has isolated himself so long that he is a bundle of contained neuroses, setting him well apart from Gene Wilder's interpretation. I loved the crazed twist on the Oompa Loompa songs (especially their farewell to Mike Teevee), and immediately came to enjoy this interpretation of them (which is much closer to Dahl's original Pygmies). Oh, and wonderfully, darkly twisted as only Tim Burton can. It does lose a bit of steam in the middle, but the overall effort makes it well worth it, especially if you read the book as much as I did as a child. Expand
  71. MichelleK.
    Jul 16, 2005
    Burton and Depp have created a visually beautiful film and a fascinating eccentric character much closer to the book's Willy Wonka. Don't listen to the media--this Willy is not Michael Jackson.
  72. MattA.
    Jul 17, 2005
    Excellent work by Tim Burton again. The movie was funny, and very creative. I would love to see it again.... Also... Danny elfman's score was dead on with what happened on screen. A pleasure to watch and to hear.
  73. JakeL
    Jul 17, 2005
    I agree, this is the best movie of the summer, better than Batman Begins and Cinderella Man. Depp isn't creepy so much as hilariously flaky, and this is BETTER than the original Diz-nee movie - it leaves out the added sappiness of that one and remains more faithful to Dahl's dark humor. The BEST movie Burton's made in a long time.
  74. EdwardE.
    Absosmurfly brilliant!
  75. JoshR.
    Jul 18, 2005
    Much better than any other comedy or family film released this year. As for 'ruining' the 'original,' that's a crock. This is BETTER, and they keep everything good about the book and thankfully got rid of the lame stuff that was in the 'original.' As for the new songs, they aren't classic but at least the musical numbers are funny. The music from Much better than any other comedy or family film released this year. As for 'ruining' the 'original,' that's a crock. This is BETTER, and they keep everything good about the book and thankfully got rid of the lame stuff that was in the 'original.' As for the new songs, they aren't classic but at least the musical numbers are funny. The music from the 'original' is vastly overrated. "Candy Man" is NOT a good song, no matter who sings it. Expand
  76. erinw.
    Jul 19, 2005
    I give it a 9 because the movie was well thought out. But i think that thye forgot some very crushal things in the movie. Like the umpa lumpa song. But then again they did base it a lot more on the book. With out Johnny Depp (Willy Wonka) and Freddie (Charlie Baker) the movie would not have held together like it did. Those actors are soem of the best to me out there.
  77. H.B.
    Jul 22, 2005
    Very amusing, clever & creative interpretation of the book. Laughed a lot and enjoyed it. The singing umpalumpa's were a suprise treat.
  78. ScottW.
    Jul 23, 2005
    Can't believe they managed to pull this off despite the shadow cast by Gene Wilder's amazing performance. Tim Burton did through his direction, and the movie accomplished through the storyline, the delicious blend of cute and creepy that Wilder delivered, and Johnny Depp added a totally different dimension of the bizarre to make this remake a real treat. You will have fun.
  79. MWhite
    Jul 25, 2005
    So incredibly entertaining. Yah, Depp wasn't his best, but the song were awesome, acting was superb, and the visuals were pure Burton.
  80. FredJ.
    Jul 25, 2005
    Really great. much better than I was expecting.
  81. Amy
    Aug 12, 2005
    I thought this movie was absolutly awsome! It was darker then the original but I enjoyed it. I don't think you can really compare the two as, well first of all the original was a musical.. this one wasn't. I loved how the oompa loompa ended up being the narrator. I think Johnny Depp did an awsome job as Willy... his facial expressions and laugh were great! For all of you who I thought this movie was absolutly awsome! It was darker then the original but I enjoyed it. I don't think you can really compare the two as, well first of all the original was a musical.. this one wasn't. I loved how the oompa loompa ended up being the narrator. I think Johnny Depp did an awsome job as Willy... his facial expressions and laugh were great! For all of you who hated it... relax a bit.... I mean really both movie's are excellent... they are different and I think thats one of the reasons they have different titles... its all from a different perspective. I don't see how you couldn't fin it the least bit entertaining.... I mean not even when he walked into the glass elevator... really? Just view them as separate movies... greatness in separate ways. Expand
  82. JoshM.
    Aug 29, 2005
    I thought it was wonderfully done. One of the best performances by Johnny Depp I've seen. It's beautifully filmed. Worth seeing for sure. I've seen it twice.
  83. Lucy-AnnSmith
    Sep 19, 2005
    Very entertaining and full of comedy. The energy and special effects are amazing.
  84. ElizabethC
    Dec 20, 2006
    In my opinion, any movie with Johnny Depp is awesome. Great Remake.... better than the original. I saw it in theatre's twice!
  85. Nov 24, 2011
    This adaption is a fun film. It adds more comedy to the original and has a great result. The story is also better than the 1971 version. It is a great film.
  86. Aug 12, 2013
    There was never really anybody else who could have been up to the task of reinventing such an iconic and unique character as Willy Wonka, Tim Burton knows how to make every part of the screen count, whether it is a shadowed corner or the clothing of a bizarre character, in this case, he re-imagines not only a classic children's tale, but also a very successful film that many will stillThere was never really anybody else who could have been up to the task of reinventing such an iconic and unique character as Willy Wonka, Tim Burton knows how to make every part of the screen count, whether it is a shadowed corner or the clothing of a bizarre character, in this case, he re-imagines not only a classic children's tale, but also a very successful film that many will still argue is better than Burton's vision, wither way one cannot argue at the scope and imagine of this very different tale.
    The film is told in a dreamy sort of sense, with a mans gentle yet deep voice narrating, he explains the situation of how Wonka became a worldwide phenomenon, but faltered due to spies within his factory, but how he decides to send out five golden tickets to hold a very special tour for those lucky recipients. Charlie (Freddie Highmore) is not the most well-off of children, living with his four grandparents and his mother and father, and dreams of being one of the lucky ticket finders. Across the world, four tickets are find, and Charlie cannot believe his luck when he is the fifth and final finder, and so he begins his whirlwind journey of songs, greedy children and of course, chocolate.
    The man in the top hat is played by none other than the most versatile actor of his generation, Johnny Depp, who creates one of the strangest and yet most awe-inspiring performances of his career, showing a genius we don't fully understand, a man with his own emotional grievances and family issues, a relatable man. His tour of the factory combines some beautiful scenes and even some funny sing-alongs from the Oompa-Loompas, this time played by one person in the form of Deep Roy. The film has big ideas and leaves plenty of room for some very interesting characters, and it is the child actors who are on top form in the film throughout, the confident Mike Teevee (Jordan Fry), the spoilt yet cunning Veruca Salt (Julia Winter) and the athletic and cheeky Violet Beauregarde (AnnaSophia Robb). These characters have a commanding and often funny presence on screen as they explore the many wonders of the factory, a place brimming with excitement and imaginative moments at every turn, its easy to get lost in the marvel of creation at play here, and its a true delight to see such effort going into giving the film a decent story.
    Closer to the source and certainly different from the original, whatever personal thoughts may go into each film, there is no denying the wonderful scope and imagination of Burton and Depp's Wonka, a crackpot genius with a juvenile personality and a flamboyant dress sense, as only a larger than life character can have, the film is much darker and tone but is definitely more suited to the current generation and style of film, definitely a creative piece through and through.
  87. Jun 1, 2014
    This is so funny and heartwarming. I love the extra development behind Willy Wonka! The acting, music, and visuals are fantastic and captures the spirit of Roald Dahl better than the saccharine tone of the 70s movie with Gene Wilder.
  88. May 10, 2014
    Tim Burton Presents a remake of Charlie and the chocolate factory . The Original had some very great creativity and anything you want in movie the word is" Entertaining" and is better then the original
  89. Jan 9, 2015
    A satisfying movie with stunning images and a wonderfully right amount of glee and satire. Also, (i read this in a lot of negative reviews) this movie wasn't supposed to be a remake at all, it was meant to be another interpretation of the book which Tim Burton totally succeeded in doing.

1. Here's a film about kids and for kids that has not lost touch with what it is like to actually be a kid.
  2. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    Entertaining and fabulously imaginative in many ways, this second bigscreen rendition of the late author's modest morality tale on the wages of unbridled excess sports excesses of its own.
  3. Reviewed by: Richard Schickel
    This is rather a thin tale, not much thickened by Burton's direction or Depp's playing. There's a distance, a detachment to this film. It lacks passion.