5.4

1. Sep 27, 2011
    I could have given 2 more points if "Charlie St. Cloud" knew what morale it was going to present. Guess it didn't do its homework...
  2. Sep 4, 2010
    Pretty bad. As a fan of the book I was pretty dissappointed with this movie. I don't think the acting was the issue. The issue definitely was the writing. A few details from the book remained unchanged but the majority of it was thrown out. This was the second biggest let down for me this summer. No movie will ever be as bad as The Last Airbender.
  3. Aug 12, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Charlie(Zac Efron) sees dead people, but he's not dead, technically. As the surviving brother of a fiery car accident, the film oversells the point of Charlie being dead inside by having him kill time in a graveyard. Yes, we get it. Time can stand still for the living, too; the living dead, like the caretaker, a selective clairvoyant who only sees dead loved ones. Played by Zac Efron, the star of "High School Musical", to everybody's surprise, didn't fare badly last year in Richard Linklater's "Me and Orson Welles", as he ingratiated himself admirably within an ensemble cast. But does he have the stuff that lead actors are made of? Like any young enterprising former teen star, Efron doesn't want to be singing showtunes in "High School Musical 37"(an old teen like Jeff Conaway in "Grease"), but the actor in transition plays it safe this time around in "Charlie St. Cloud", catering to his female devotees by remaining, against all probability, flawlessly handsome, since the car he was driving performed a couple of rolls on the highway. At Sam's funeral, Charlie, for the sake of versimilitude, should be in a wheelchair, or at the very least, have his arm in a sling. In other words, sport some evidence of having been involved in a vehicular crash. Poor Efron has to communicate emotional pain and inner turmoil with an unblemished face and undamaged body. A band-aid on his nose couldn't hurt. Johnny Depp, who once donned scissorhands and a face full of crosshatching scars to distance himself from the sex symbol status he attained from "21 Jump Street", would have insisted on that band-aid(a la Jack Nicholson in Roman Polanski's "Chinatown"), for starters. Depp treated his face like a curse. Efron won't go anywhere until he eschews vanity, and plays "ugly". Not only physically, but emotionally, as well. The moviegoer waits for the moment when Charlie tells Sam(Charlie Tahan) that he'll never be a starting pitcher for the Red Sox, an emotional climax to the utter futility of practice, but the moment never comes. As it turns out, it's Charlie who holds Sam back, even though the younger St. Cloud whines all throughout the movie about remaining loyal to their pact. "Charlie St. Cloud" is a lot darker than it lets on, but thanks to the film's unabashedly Christian underpinning, its good-naturedness and oversentimentality negates any real fallout(drugs and alcohol) from materializing. If "Charlie St. Cloud" went there, would Efron have the acting chops to follow? "Charlie St. Cloud" never captures the tragedy of wasted potential because the moviegoer can't truly feel sorry for somebody who looks like an underwear model. Expand
  4. Aug 19, 2010
    This was an amazing movie! The acting had depth, and the audience was able to easily connect with all characters. If you are stuck in lifes' little moments or are looking for a more purposeful direction, one should really consider viewing this movie.
  5. May 11, 2012
    It has good acting, but the story is very shallow. The unpredictability is common here. The lesson that you could've learned from this is missing.
  6. Dec 31, 2011
    Zac Efron gives all his dramatic acting talent (which isn't much) and tries really hard to save this clear rip-off of the lovely bones. Sadly it fails worse than I described om the first sentence. I give this movie 15%.
  7. Feb 22, 2013
    This isn't normally the type of movie I watch. I decided to check it out though, because people have been raving about it. It also features Charlie Tahan, who is one of the biggest up and coming stars around. Charlie St. Cloud also has some awesome cameos and let's face it, Zac Efron was pretty good in 17 again, so I took a chance. Sadly though, even with all the film apparently had goingThis isn't normally the type of movie I watch. I decided to check it out though, because people have been raving about it. It also features Charlie Tahan, who is one of the biggest up and coming stars around. Charlie St. Cloud also has some awesome cameos and let's face it, Zac Efron was pretty good in 17 again, so I took a chance. Sadly though, even with all the film apparently had going for it, Charlie St. Cloud was a boring flop. The story follows a young man's journey to re-discover himself following a drunk driving accident that claimed the life of his little brother. It's a solid story to build on, but that's just it, it really doesn't go anywhere from there. Charlie is consumed by what happened and even years later spends hours in the woods talking to his brothers ghost. If you watch the first fifteen minutes of the movie, there really all there is to see. It had a lot of potential and fairly good cast, but honestly I found the film to be boring and really depressing. Expand
  8. Dec 29, 2011
    [SPOILER!] - So the brother dies sitting in the passenger seat and Charlie (Zac Efron) makes it out alive without a single scratch, cut or broken/fractured bone? Not very convincing. Touching movie - it's really hard to depict the emotional struggles and pain of a teenager dealing with the death of a loved one; especially close sibling in this case. Zac Efron did a great job communicating[SPOILER!] - So the brother dies sitting in the passenger seat and Charlie (Zac Efron) makes it out alive without a single scratch, cut or broken/fractured bone? Not very convincing. Touching movie - it's really hard to depict the emotional struggles and pain of a teenager dealing with the death of a loved one; especially close sibling in this case. Zac Efron did a great job communicating to the audience the pain behind that.
    The ending also didn't really work - I'm glad the two did end up getting together in the end, but everything that brought them to that point was just really confusing, with Efron talking to dead people and then almost dead people and then alive people. The spark and love between the two were well acted-out, however. This movie just didn't bring it all the way back home.
  9. Aug 24, 2014
    This is a powerful, touching, different kind of movie that starts strong, continues like that almost all the way to the finish, but in the end something just happens (well, for me it felt like that since I'm not into romantic, happy conclusions). Still an awesome movie.

For some reason, even though I've never seen him on screen before now, I've never put a lot of faith in Zac Efron's acting abilities. I stand corrected. At least in this movie, he did an outstanding job.

Not only is he pleasing to the eye, but his portrayal of Charlie, a young man wounded to the core after playing a part in his beloved younger brother's death, is amazing. He cries, he's agitated, he's withdrawn from real life.

"The more I'm in your world, the less I can be in his."

That single line sums up Charlie's life after his it was crashed and smashed - and brought back from the other side.

There are some heavy themes here, but they are not underlined or overused. They are there, they live and breathe right alongside Charlie, and in the end he has to make a choice. Even his relationship with Tess is pretty good in the beginning (I just didn't like the smoochy ending, is all).

Well acted, well written, and perfectly executed film all in all. The music, the colors, the scenery, and the characters fit in there and blended into a perfect story.

It's not that much about the paranormal (although I loved it for that as well) than it is about an ability to let go of someone you love. About making a promise - and then breaking it.
  10. Aug 24, 2012
    Believe it or not I actually thought that Zac Efron gave a very commendable effort in this difficult film. It has a heart-wrenching story but the story seems to hold still in several places. The twist was a little predictable but it wasn't the worst ending in the world. I wouldn't watch it again but I don't regret watching it either.
  11. May 14, 2014
    I've always really liked this movie. I watched it again and expected to see it's flaws, and I still really enjoyed it and bought into Zac Efron's performance.
  12. Jan 29, 2014
    This film is very good, I like the story, good acting Zac Efron and Amanda Crew. I recominedo for those who want to see something especially romantic love.
  13. Dec 31, 2014
    This is a very clever story portrayed by talented actors. A very sentimental film allowing you to grow attached to the individual characters and really sympathise with them. On a whole a fabulous movie.

You are not, in a movie like this, supposed to think too much; you are supposed to be transported beyond skepticism on a wave of pure, tacky feeling. Instead, in this case, you drown in sentimental, ghoulish nonsense.
  2. It's more like a shelved episode of "Touched by An Angel." The sappy script is a disservice to the naturally effervescent Efron, whose character is so mopey he makes Robert Pattinson seem like a song-and-dance man.
    The movie's central gimmick isn't enough, and when more supernatural twists that don't play by the movie's own fantasy rules kick in, it lost me.