Chicago

8.0

1. Sep 27, 2011
    "Chicago" shouldn't have been a good movie if it wasn't for the stylish direction of Rob Marshall and his cleverness of portraying the correct scenes matching with the song and setting. It isn't great, but a good movie with some light-jazz music you'll love to listen.
  2. Aug 27, 2011
    Perhaps Chicago is meant to be self-analytical in commentary on shallowness in nearly everything, but that doesn't forgive the fact that it is indeed shallow. While it's flashy and pretty funny when it needs to be, in the end, Chicago is still a miraculously vapid movie underneath it all, and that, in the end, makes it boring when it's not belting.
  3. Dec 21, 2011
    Chicago is by far on one of the greatest musicals to hit the stage. The songs are sung with such strength by actors whom I never expected to have that skill. The choreography is beautifully orchestrated and the use of parallel montage between the songs and the actual story is what truly takes this film from the stage and makes it great for the screen. The only fault is that despite greatChicago is by far on one of the greatest musicals to hit the stage. The songs are sung with such strength by actors whom I never expected to have that skill. The choreography is beautifully orchestrated and the use of parallel montage between the songs and the actual story is what truly takes this film from the stage and makes it great for the screen. The only fault is that despite great performances, the songs sometimes get in the way of evoking true emotion from the actual plot. Expand
  4. Mar 2, 2013
    One of the best films in history, i loved it i was never into musicals until i saw this movie, absolutely brilliant performances and beautiful songs this is truly an Oscar worthy film
  5. Mar 13, 2014
    The ambition and devotion to 'Chicago' is blindsided by a contempt for all the protagonists (the exception being John C. Reily, whose Mr. Cellophane is truly heartbreaking) and a certain modernization of an era that was not nearly so "razzle-dazzle" as the film portrays it to be. I still can't get by the self-obsession of Renee Zellweger and Catherine Zeta-Jones. That's really why I can'tThe ambition and devotion to 'Chicago' is blindsided by a contempt for all the protagonists (the exception being John C. Reily, whose Mr. Cellophane is truly heartbreaking) and a certain modernization of an era that was not nearly so "razzle-dazzle" as the film portrays it to be. I still can't get by the self-obsession of Renee Zellweger and Catherine Zeta-Jones. That's really why I can't give the movie higher than an 8. A 6 is because it wasn't 20's to me. Expand
  6. RonaldB
    May 29, 2009
    The ladies are pleasant, the leading man replacable, the story forgettable and the musical "numbers" add up to zero. In other words, what we quite rightly expect from a contemporary musical.
  7. JohnA.
    Jul 3, 2005
    Crap, crap, mega-crap. How can such a failure get 82 points and the Academy Award for Best Movie of the Year against The Two Towers? The critics wouldn't know a good movie even if it hit them!
  8. ButteredPopcorn
    Jun 16, 2004
    Awful. I lasted about 10 minutes before we shut it off. the characters were so sterotypical, they were like a cartoon. Annoying herky jerky style. In a word, this movie insults the viewer's intelligence.
  9. jefff.
    Apr 19, 2005
    I found the music to be really bad.
  10. IlzeS.
    Dec 26, 2004
    The worst movie of 2002.Moulin Rouge is ten times better than this musical mix.
  11. SlavisaM.
    Jun 29, 2004
    Chicago is the most over-rated movie of the century! It's horrible! Music terrible, acting is the only thing good! Oh my god, what a torture!!! Terrible 133 minutes spent on that crap! Never again!
  12. Intermission
    Dec 4, 2005
    HOW CAN ANYONE SAY THAT THIS MOVIE IS GOOD. Perhaps the worst musical of all time. Richard Gere puts in his worst performance. And the songs suck.
  13. Apr 2, 2012
    Chicago is the worst movie I have ever seen. Nothing was good about the movie. If I could I would give it 3 zeros. Disgraceful, Horrific, Disgusting, Stupid, and a total mess of a film. You couldn't pay me to watch this film. Worst movie of the year, worst movie of all time.
  14. TaraM.
    Jan 4, 2003
    Very enjoyable. There were nice transitions between the musical numbers and reality.
  15. MikeD.
    Jan 10, 2003
    This is a very fun and inventive movie....acting and general performances were superb. The problem? I don't really like musicals! Therefore, even someone like me can rate this a 7, and if you like musicals, you're sure to love it.
  16. BillC.
    Jan 6, 2003
    Awesome.
  17. CharlieL.
    Jan 8, 2003
    CHICAGO is everything great about movie musicals and all that jazz. It's got the glossy appeal of Moulin Rouge without the sappy story and the poor singing on the part of nicole kidman, Zellweger,and Zeta -Jones are fabulous and flapperiffic! rob marshall's choreography makes this movie a perfect 10! if you claim to love movies, or musicals you MUST see this movie!!!
  18. CedrickG.
    Oct 9, 2003
    I only wish I could have been in the movie.
  19. MitchH.
    Feb 7, 2003
    I loved, loved, loved this movie. So many great visuals, and performances. Cell Block Tango was by far the best part of the movie. It was fast paced and the danceing was fantastic. I can't say enough good things about it. Just go see it.
  20. T.Kjer
    Feb 8, 2003
    Rob Marshall has succeeded unlike any film director before in creating a truly theatrical movie, or cinematic theatre, whichever. Each time I've seen this film I feel like I have just attended one of the greatest live Broadway musicals in my life, and I have certainly seen the best of the best of live theatre, including the original cast of ChiCago, twice, and several casts of the Rob Marshall has succeeded unlike any film director before in creating a truly theatrical movie, or cinematic theatre, whichever. Each time I've seen this film I feel like I have just attended one of the greatest live Broadway musicals in my life, and I have certainly seen the best of the best of live theatre, including the original cast of ChiCago, twice, and several casts of the current version. I have racked my brain to remember when I've been as thrilled by a movie as I am with "ChiCago," and my list is: West Side Story, The Sound of Music and Oliver! Yes, this is a little different from the stage version, but it is truly authentic to its source. Only time will tell, but I have a very strong feeling that "ChiCago" will become a classic movie musical. Expand
  21. LaurenD.
    Feb 8, 2003
    Its no Moulin Rouge but its still very entertaining, but its also somewhat empty. Worth buying though! The "Cell Block Tango" rocks!
  22. MichelleP.
    Feb 9, 2003
    I am so glad this movie won a Best Picture for the Golden Globe Awards. It was fantastic! The songs and dances ("...and all that jazz!!!") were superb! Not to mention the main trio (Zelleweger, Zeta-Jones, and Gere) did a beautiul job at acting. Queen Lafitah also did an excellent job! I hope they make more musicals like this one!
  23. ChrisG.
    Mar 17, 2003
    Amazing, Catherine rocks - Stop comparing to that wannabe musical moulin rouge I mean that used crap old pop songs , This is a true broadway musical folks.
  24. SteveH.
    Jun 30, 2003
    It's okay. It was not good enough to be best movie of the year. Best movie should have gone to Gangs Of New York or Far From Heaven instead. The movie was cute but not monumental.
  25. Layne
    Aug 30, 2003
    Its Oscar win for Best Picture only proves that musicals are still under Hollywood's eye after 34 years, and Chicago deserved every bit of its coveted award. It outsings Moulin Rouge as the best musical of the past decade, and delivers wonderful performances from Renee Zellweger, Catherine Zeta- Jones, and Richard Gere. The colors are lively, the tone is silly, and the directing is Its Oscar win for Best Picture only proves that musicals are still under Hollywood's eye after 34 years, and Chicago deserved every bit of its coveted award. It outsings Moulin Rouge as the best musical of the past decade, and delivers wonderful performances from Renee Zellweger, Catherine Zeta- Jones, and Richard Gere. The colors are lively, the tone is silly, and the directing is unlike anything you've ever seen. And, thanks to the toe-tapping numbers that stand out the most: "And All That Jazz," " Roxie," and the ending number, which is an exhuberant duet by Zeta- Jones and Zellweger; Chicago can quite possibly pass as the most entertaining film of the year. Expand
  26. DaNcR!
    Jan 8, 2004
    This movie is great...you have no clue how much time it would take to do those dances unless you dance yourself. It was amazing!
  27. GustavW.
    Apr 15, 2005
    Oh, this is great! This is just great! A true masterpiece. It'll rock your world all the way down to your stockings! However, watching the movie without singing along with the songs is a nightmare! (At least the 105th time I watched it.)
  28. caporegime
    Jun 10, 2009
    It razzle-dazzled me.
  29. Gabriel
    Jun 12, 2010
    One of the best musicals I've ever seen! Acting and singing so great, brilliant story and screenplay. This is one of that films that i never get tired of watching over and over again.
  30. RyanM.
    Jan 12, 2003
    The only problem "Chicago" has is that there's too much music and not enough story development.

1. Reviewed by: Noel Murray
    Mar 3, 2014
    The original musical holds up well, and Marshall and Condon’s adaption doesn’t wreck it.
  2. Freshly transplanted from the stage, is a thrilling ode to the intertwined glories of sex, showmanship, and lying: what the film calls ''the old razzle-dazzle.''
  3. I seem to be in a distinct minority in finding the satire toothless, obvious, and insufferably glib -- Still, I found genuine pleasure in watching Catherine Zeta-Jones, Renee Zellweger, Richard Gere, and John C. Reilly try their hands at singing and dancing.