8.1

1. Aug 25, 2014
    Extraordinarily terrifying, Children of Men serves as a disturbing warning of what may become of Men and our world. Alfonso Cuaron and his cast prevent the audience from ever questioning the reality of this apocalyptic version of our world... quite simply because they are too damn convincing. One of the best films of the decade for its look ahead and futuristic thrills.
  2. Oct 6, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Children Of Men is a unique, breathtaking and fresh film that is director Alfonso Curaon's best film yet. Yes, I have watched Gravity but this film is sad, scary and brilliant. Clive Owen gives a great performance as Theo Faron- a normal officeman who lives in a future world of Britain of 2027. The country raged with war and no democracy and a rule of having no children or fertility tests. The tables pound when Theo's ex girlfriend Julian played by Julianne Moore finds a 17 year old girl named Kee who is an illegal immigrant and needs help to get off coast and join the Human Project. Theo was suspicious but moved along with the plan. Luke played by Chiwetel Ejiofor a man who works with Julian is extremely raged and rushed about the pregnancy to come. When Mariam the caretaker of Kee takes the newly with Theo to thier safe house on a farm, Julian gets shot by some random raged teenagers who are part of the Anti Social Human Society. When Theo and Luke try to run they get stamped by police who Luke shoots later on. Theo gets more suspicious when Luke shoots the officer and asks him why. Luke stays quiet about the inquiry. Theo finds out on the farm that Kee is pregnant and can change the world with the last baby on earth. Theo overhears Luke talking to his gang members to kill Theo and snatch the baby from Kee to make him a part of the society. Theo informs Mariam and Kee when the others chase them. Theo takes them to his friend Jasper played by Micheal Caine. But they don't last long and Luke finds Jasper and kills him in his house in front of his handicapped wife. Theo and Kee escape and Theo swears that he will fulfill his promise. When Jasper's friend Syd helps them get a boat he also betrays them for money and the baby. Mariam gets taken by the border patrol camp. Now the question wrapped around the film is that will Kee and Theo escape the horror of war and the violence of sadness and get to their goal? Children of men is beautiful and very sad to watch but it is a wonder of cinema. Expand
  3. May 29, 2014
    Children of Men for the most part is extremely boring and only by the end kicks into another gear that started to grab my attention. Barely anything is explained and nothing is answered.
  4. Nov 28, 2012
    Alfonso Cuaron's "Children Of Men" takes place in the not-too-distant-future where every woman is infertile and world order is on the brink of collapse. Theo Faron (Owen), a conflicted diplomat, is kidnapped by his ex-wife and revolutionary (Moore) to escort a refugee to freedom. However, what Theo doesn't know is that this refugee is in fact a pregnant woman. Thus, a epic and provocativeAlfonso Cuaron's "Children Of Men" takes place in the not-too-distant-future where every woman is infertile and world order is on the brink of collapse. Theo Faron (Owen), a conflicted diplomat, is kidnapped by his ex-wife and revolutionary (Moore) to escort a refugee to freedom. However, what Theo doesn't know is that this refugee is in fact a pregnant woman. Thus, a epic and provocative quest ensues. In this world nearly every country's government has fallen. Therefore, as the only nation left standing, the U.K. must deal with millions of illegal immigrants trying to take refuge within their country. This prompts the U.K. drop into a militarized police state where violence and death are commonplace. Interesting enough, what I enjoyed most about this movie was the atmosphere. The world in "Children Of Men" is so disquieting, and so scary. You can tell that the art directors really took an extensive amount of time to make this setting look as dreary as it's supposed to be. The setting's bleakness is accentuated with really appropriate lighting. However, the cinematography also offers some really beautiful shots of the ravaged U.K. The screenplay is really well written, and it is performed equally as well. Clive Owen really shines in this roles, and Michael Caine plays a character that has a bundle of hilarious lines. Another aspect of this film that I admired is the fact that Cuaron utilized single-shot. This means that when the crap hits the fan for Clive Owen and Co. the cameras never stop rolling and the whole sequence is filmed in one single take. Which brings me to another aspect of "Children Of Men" that I enjoyed - the final sequence of the film. This film's final sequence used the aforementioned action scene technique and it also features a really interesting yet spoilerish dynamic that I can't share. You'll just have to watch it yourself. Overall I felt that "Children Of Men" was an awesome piece of speculative fiction that effectively serves as a cautionary tale for everyone to take seriously. Expand
  5. Jul 3, 2014
    This one was a major disappointment for me. I will start off with the few positives before moving into the negatives. Firstly, the acting was good, especially from Clive Owen, Julianne Moore, and then Chiwetel Ejiofor and Charlie Hunnam is smaller roles. In addition, the cinematography here is great, especially during action sequences. The whole film has this really cool video game esqueThis one was a major disappointment for me. I will start off with the few positives before moving into the negatives. Firstly, the acting was good, especially from Clive Owen, Julianne Moore, and then Chiwetel Ejiofor and Charlie Hunnam is smaller roles. In addition, the cinematography here is great, especially during action sequences. The whole film has this really cool video game esque feel to what unfolds that is just missing the prompts for what you are supposed to do next. In addition, the colors here are great, as the gray everywhere really sums up the despair. Now, for the negatives. There are not a ton, but they are big enough to really hamper this one. Firstly, the story sucks. In premise, it sounds good, but in practice it is boring and uninteresting. In addition, there needs to be some kind of introduction to this world. Many things are occuring in this film and it never really explains why. I know that Cuaron hates backstory, but it is needed in this type of film to allow the audience to understand this futuristic setting. Without it, the audience is left guessing as to why the events are happening. Another major issue surrounds one of the deaths in this film, as it is hinted that it was a specific reason, but the reason is murky at best and really needed better explaining. It is a very important sequence, yet the reasoning behind is left largely unanswered. The script is also pretty bad in most parts as the dialogue had me cringing quite frequently. It all felt very unnatural and poorly worded. Finally, Clara-Hope **** is quite annoying and since she had a large role, it really subtracted from the overall film. Many find this film to be thought-provoking and cautionary. I cannot help but agree, as it left me wondering how it got so much praise and a warning to not trust the general consensus all the time. Expand
  6. Oct 15, 2012
    Children of Men is a thunderously exciting film, featuring amazing performances and fantastic action scenes. The sci-fi flavored world the movie creates is also utterly convincing. Children of Men is brilliant from start to finish.
  7. Dec 31, 2014
    Presented through its believable dystopian society, the riveting and thought provoking Children of Men" works as an evocative link to the real world, a visceral action thriller and a standout for director Alfonso Cuaron and cinematographer Emmanuel Lubezki.
  8. Aug 31, 2012
    The film succeeds because of it's dramatic power. this is a result of the great camera work and great acting. However I found the films themes to be a bit week but this is a really weak criticism.
  9. Mar 23, 2013
    Awesome film. The idea is very interesting and you are in from minute one. Every character is there for a reason you keep finding as the movie goes on. Great cinematography. There is an action sequence towads the end that it is a 10 out of 10. Actors do their job nicely. So well done you feel the characters. Entertaiment plus quality. If only most successful films could be like this...
  10. Sep 26, 2011
    Forget about zombie-apocalypse. "Children of Men" shows we don't need monsters to make our society collapses. The dark creatures responsible for our doom live inside the humans themselves.
  11. Feb 18, 2014
    Children of Men is a beautiful movie, from the first 10 minutes you can notice that it's class A movie with every element, i was astounded by the first explosion because it was so realistic, then i began to notice the environment and i was so impressed by it, it's like they created an entire city to shoot the movie in, that's reminded me of the importance of Cinematography.
    and this movie
    and this movie gotta be the most realistic expectation of reality i have ever seen, we all seen movies that pushed as 20 or more years, and it's all about technology, but this movie takes a different direction,
    the last 30 minutes for me was a blast, because i haven't seen a realistic representation of a street conflict since Black Hawk Down and that movie was beautiful.
    Alfonso CuarĂ³n should be praised for his astonishing director skills and the movie is enjoyable to the max.
  12. Oct 17, 2010
    The one long, one-shot scene alone was enough to make anyone realize that the cinematography is above the rest. The plot is interesting, and I do like where the director goes with it. I liked this movie, and was under the impression that most thought it was just okay, until I saw this page. I'm glad more people agree with me, because this one was impressive.
  13. Jun 4, 2015
    Easily one of the most important sci-fi films ever made of the 21st century, Gravity director Alfonso Cuaron brings one of the most chilling apocalyptic novels to the big screen!

In the year 2027, a massive chemical war has left all of humanity infertile, the inability to reproduce, in the middle of the chaos, cynical bureaucrat Theo Faron (Clive Owen) discovers mankind's new hope in a young pregnant african refugee and her miracle baby. Theo is soon placed responsible for the unborn child's safety as he helps get the refugee out of the country in a futuristic United Kingdom now divided by an islamic themed war-zone and a militarized all-british industrial society, that has made all immigration illegal through the government's growing bigotry and intolerance.

featuring other well done performances by Julianne Moore, Michael Caine, and Chiwetel Ejiofor, this film is very dramatic in its message and a painfully unbearable future apocalypse we wish and hope will never happen!

hands down one of the best science-fiction films since Planet of the Apes and the Day the Earth Stood Still.
  14. Sep 27, 2011
    Alfonso Cuarón is simply the best in the art of camera, this movie is brilliant the message that leaves you is incredible and show us that no matter how dark is the sky we can always find hope
  15. Oct 23, 2011
    This was an interesting movie. Don't get me wrong, it was an awesome movie and it had a cool soundtrack and an amazing cast. Alfonso Cuaron did an amazing job of making a fantastic movie out of this shallow story line. It had a good script though, I would have picked it. It was a strange movie but highly reccommend.
  16. Oct 19, 2014
    Ever heard of exotic matter in physics? It's the name of hypothetical matter that would be found in outer space with unusual properties. Well this one is an exotic movie and saying more would just be a spoiler.
  17. Feb 21, 2011
    I think that this movie is pushing things a little to much. I'm not expecting that a SF movie to be realistic, but is neither a SF nor a realistic movie. I consider this the major defect of the movie. The actors are not impressing much. A part of the idea of having the humanity saved by a birth of a child nothing is notable. Is anyone asking how Kee became pregnant in that circumstances?
  18. Dec 14, 2011
    Children of Men is a film that becomes something more than itself. It is political. It is intelligent. It is emotional. And most importantly it speaks into the lives of people in this day and age teaching us about our own humanity. Aside from minor faults including one of the worst birthing scenes in modern cinematic history, the film truly makes the viewers a part of the action. DuringChildren of Men is a film that becomes something more than itself. It is political. It is intelligent. It is emotional. And most importantly it speaks into the lives of people in this day and age teaching us about our own humanity. Aside from minor faults including one of the worst birthing scenes in modern cinematic history, the film truly makes the viewers a part of the action. During the climactic final battle, the camera moves in such a way that the viewer feels himself being a part of the scene. Violence may be present, but never is it used for the sake of violence. Rather it is always used as a tool to further explore the thematic elements of morality, humanity, and the politics that get in the way of both. The dystopian future is perhaps the greatest since A Clockwork Orange and in many ways may even be better. The use of varied cinematographic elements and the musical accompaniment to the film add wonders in bringing the vision of Alfonso Cuarón to life. Editing then weaves together the brilliant performances from Clive Owen and Chiwetel Ejiofor. This is not a movie to be watched for cheap thrills or laughs, but a film that must be taken seriously. And when that is done, truth will be spoken into the lives of all who witness it. A tear or two may come as well. Expand
  19. Feb 5, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Keep Rolling

If one scene in Children of Men, more accurately, one shot, isn't being played over a hundred times, dissected, analyzed, sped up, slowed down, played in reverse, and thoroughly deconstucted in film schools right now, there's something fundamentally wrong with film schools.

This uninterrupted take running over 4 minutes is shot in a car with runaway rebels: the driver and Julianne Moore in the front, and Clive Owen, the pregnant woman and another character cramped in the back. The shot begins with Moore and Owen playing games as they motor merrily along a hillside country road to their designation and, after fleeing from a gang of murderous counter-rebels, ends with two cops being shot to death and left on the road.

I'm not sure many movie audiences consciously appreciate the skill and mastery of a long uninterrupted take. There are no edits. There is no room for error. There is no stopping and starting and shooting from various angles, then filtering out unwanted material and tweaking the content, flow and pace in the editing room. It's one, long uninterrupted take. It is an actual unadulterated document of the action. I suppose this effects a kind of documentary realism, which explains why steadycams have been replaced with shakycams. I notice them all the time. When a film has too many cuts in it, I figure there wasn't much patience and confidence shared on the film set. The editor may be trying to save the film. With cutty films there is less risk and challenge because you can shoot the same scene so many times in so many ways and splice them to splinters. Save it in post. The editor is the filmmaker.

The long shot in Children of Men is a work of sheer genius. A single continuous take from inside a car driving down a country road starts off with Moore and Owen playing a game: blowing and catching a ping-pong ball in each other's mouths. This game sets up and illustrates how risky and challenging the rest of the shot will be, bordering on plain recklessness. The playfulness will be contrasted by the ensuing terror. If the ball bounced off their teeth it would have been easy enough to cut and restart until they got it right, since it was only a minute into the shot. Neat trick but now comes the crazy magic. Cue the flames as a burning truck rolls down the hill to cut them off. The driver slams to a halt and reverses as an army of screaming militants emerge from the woods, throwing rocks, beating sticks, and smashing through Moore's window. Moore throws up her hands to protect herself from flying shards of glass. A Molotov cocktail smashes and flames up on the hood. The shot continues while they drive in reverse. A motorcycle breaks out from the swarm, buzzing towards them, firing a gun shot which breaks through the windshield causing Moores's blood to splatter. We see she's been shot in the throat. Owen covers her to stop the bleeding. As the motorcycle speeds closer, Owen throws open his door to precisely knock one rider off the back of the bike, hurling to the ground. The motorbike crashes against the car and we see the bike and the other rider spin in the air and hit and bounce off the ground. The shot continues as the windshield cracks open and the car turns around to drive forward. Moore's bleeding can't be contained and she dies. They are pursued by the two policemen who pull them over at gun point. The driver steps out and shoots both cops dead. Owen scrambles out of the car (with the cameraman) to scold the killer. They drive off into the distance leaving behind two dead cops (and the cameraman).

WOW! All this in one take. Four fabulous minutes. It's kind of choppy and the timing misfires here and there, but it's still an incredible and incredibly exciting work of filmmaking. I haven't researched how this amazing shot was pulled off because I don't care to deconstruct the beauty and mystery out of it. The POV is always in the car with five people (six, including the cameraman). Not a big car yet the camera manages to move and circle around freely within a confined interior. Even if this was shot with the finest, smallest digital video camera available at the time, it still needed an operator. A really skinny small kid perhaps? This long take stands out in the movie. In its entirety, the movie is worth watching, and for this shot alone deserves a perfect score. I challenge you to watch it only once.

There is another uninterrupted shot of note in the film. Owen and the pregnant woman enter a dingy old room, Owen pays off the provider and proceeds to wash his hands as the woman lays back on a beat up mattress, and then as Owen coaches the woman, he sterilizes his hands and handles the baby when it emerges from the womb, then rests it on the mother's belly, umbilical cord and all. One take, 3 1/2 minutes. This time there would be no second tries. There are no tricks here. The fiction is blurred. Clive Owen is the midwife who delivers the newborn.

(Though a wandering close-up betrays the baby might have been planted off-camera.)
  20. Aug 23, 2010
    Alright, I thought the film pushed too hard on immigration politics as a couple of critics noted but aside from that I don't have a problem with it, at all. The charachters are superb and in the beginning and middle we're given a chance to know about them, but then at the end the film literally explodes and throws you in the middle of a war with the most intense action scenes since savingAlright, I thought the film pushed too hard on immigration politics as a couple of critics noted but aside from that I don't have a problem with it, at all. The charachters are superb and in the beginning and middle we're given a chance to know about them, but then at the end the film literally explodes and throws you in the middle of a war with the most intense action scenes since saving private ryan. It does this very smoothly aswell to the point where you don't mind that it's really become a different film. I don't really use this word a lot because I think it's shamefully overused in the metacritic user reviews and critics themselves overuse it, but this film is quite simply a Masterpiece. Expand
  21. Aug 14, 2010
    Although it leaves you wondering what happened, this is a movie that sticks in your brain. Like a good meal, you will think about it afterward. Disturbing and entertaining.
  22. May 6, 2011
    I'd have to say this is one of the best science fiction movies ever made. The cinematography, the performances, the music, the story, everything about it excels. The director convincingly presents a bleak near-future where humanity has gone infertile and is slowly dying out. Add in gut-wrenching action scenes, a particularly wonderful performance by Michael Caine, and an anti-fascistI'd have to say this is one of the best science fiction movies ever made. The cinematography, the performances, the music, the story, everything about it excels. The director convincingly presents a bleak near-future where humanity has gone infertile and is slowly dying out. Add in gut-wrenching action scenes, a particularly wonderful performance by Michael Caine, and an anti-fascist subtext, and you have a brilliant humanistic tale. Expand
  23. Apr 21, 2012
    Children of Men is a sci-fi thriller that not only brings about new ideas for the future, but also has much contemporary impact mostly because it intelligently and insightfully places contemporary issues into a futuristic context.
  24. Oct 23, 2010
    I feel that Children of Men is an electric motion picture that is both original and evocative of early cinema, where the skilled manipulation of the viewer is carried out to evoke raw, visceral feelings that are primeval within us.
  25. Dec 16, 2011
    Another apocalyptic, eerie film that I could watch on repeat. A thrilling ride that didn't even need to incorporate astounding effects due to the intricate plot. Bravo.
  26. Nov 1, 2011
    this movie could really predict the future,'cause the issues such as old age crisis and war which stated in this movie are happening in almost every country now.(2011) this movie's right, the old age crisis could really bring a plague upon the earth.
  27. Oct 2, 2012
    Easily one of my favorite movies from a cinematographic point of view. There are at least two scenes in "Children of Men" that make the film as great as it is. Without trying to give away too much, there is an action scene near the end that is shot in one take, lasting about 10 minutes, and is just an amazing feat of accomplishment. The story is also very well played out, but don't expectEasily one of my favorite movies from a cinematographic point of view. There are at least two scenes in "Children of Men" that make the film as great as it is. Without trying to give away too much, there is an action scene near the end that is shot in one take, lasting about 10 minutes, and is just an amazing feat of accomplishment. The story is also very well played out, but don't expect to understand every aspect and angle as they are not all fully developed (an aspect I actually liked considering most stories spoon feed you explanations that sometimes should not be included in the natural flow of events). Expand
  28. Aug 29, 2012
    Children for Men is an astonishing movie for taking an idea most people haven't ever thought off what if people have kids no more ho would that effect the world.This movie is dark gritty movie about how a normal avergae guy gets caught up in some mess and is linked up with the only pregnant womam in the whole world.Alfonso Cuaron's direction is amazingly portrayed into the storyline.A nearChildren for Men is an astonishing movie for taking an idea most people haven't ever thought off what if people have kids no more ho would that effect the world.This movie is dark gritty movie about how a normal avergae guy gets caught up in some mess and is linked up with the only pregnant womam in the whole world.Alfonso Cuaron's direction is amazingly portrayed into the storyline.A near perfect film I sggest you watch it even if you already have. Expand
  29. Feb 23, 2012
    I read a review saying the premise of this movie was unrealistic, most of the issues raised in this movie are happening today! It has left me thinking, and I'm glad i decided to watch it.
    Jan 2, 2007
    It seemed to me as if this movie was one large indecision. It couldn't decide what movie it wanted to be because sometimes it felt like it was an action-thriller and then it throws in waaaay to much unbelievable humor followed by a hint of a biblical allusion and then a political jab all suggesting that I shouldnt have bothered. Rent it.
  31. TyeN.
    Jan 29, 2007
    Children of Men is the best film of 2006. Hands down. It's so good, it easily makes my top 5 films of all time. Alfonso Cuaron has crafted the most important film of the year, and one that will be remembered for generations to come. Clive Owen brings quiet anger and desperation as Theo, an ex-activist who, like everyone else on Earth, is mourning the loss of Baby Diego, an Children of Men is the best film of 2006. Hands down. It's so good, it easily makes my top 5 films of all time. Alfonso Cuaron has crafted the most important film of the year, and one that will be remembered for generations to come. Clive Owen brings quiet anger and desperation as Theo, an ex-activist who, like everyone else on Earth, is mourning the loss of Baby Diego, an 18-year-old who is the last born person on the planet. The year is 2027, and everyone has been mysteriously infertile since 2009. Terrorism is rampant, and the country (the film takes place in Great Britain) is in lockdown. However, small rebel groups are sill trying to figure this mystery out on their own. Among them are the Fishes, lead by Julian (Julianne Moore), an activist, and ex-lover of Theo, with the passion of having lost a child. Julian is a woman who finds answers at any cost, and due to his pull, she needs Theo. Once he's pulled into her plan (he initially does it for money, but you get the sense that there's still some spark left in their romance), he can't get out. Theo is a man who has lost hope, but he is reminded that hope exists when he's introduced to Kee (Claire-Hope Ashitey), a young woman who is pregnant and desperately needs the aid of sources outside of Britain. Using all of his resources, including his stoner compadre Jasper (a wonderful Michael Caine), Theo vows to help Kee, a living miracle who brings hope back to a man who believed it was lost forever. Cuaron's directing is top-notch, and he was robbed of an Oscar nomination. And the performances; some of the best of the year. Owen is a force to be reckoned with. He perfectly captures the sadness, the menace, and the compassion lurking beneath Theo's rough exterior. Caine is a hoot and a heart-breaker as Jasper, a man who has faith in a world that has lost their's. As Julian, Moore is fierce as a one-woman army of integrity and force. And as Kee, new comer Claire-Hope Ashitey makes Kee a young girl forced to become a woman, and one of strong will. With no one to use as a reference for pregnancy, she's a scared girl that is going through something that is not only life changing, but history making. Children of Men is fantastic film making, and brings about a message of hope in desperate and challenging times. It really couldn't have come at a better time. Expand
  32. Erik
    Apr 1, 2007
    One of those movies you wish would never end. The sets are wonderful. The characters are likable and believable. An excellent anti-utopia with tense action scenes.
  33. FrankA.
    May 7, 2007
    If you keep the politics out as requested one would not accuse the movie of being liberal fear mongering. It may be exactly what you say it is, but your demons are your own. I saw a great movie with actors I like and enjoyed the storyline and action. After I saw the movie I read why people dislike it, mostly, they hate it for political reasons. Nice.
  34. BenH
    Jun 1, 2009
    Great filming.. but poorly developed characters, a complete lack of direction, point or cohesion and heaps of mindless violence and ugliness add up to equal the same old crap we've been shoveled for the last 30 years.
  35. ElisabethN.
    Jan 12, 2007
    An excellent and deeply disturbing film, that ended five minutes early.
  36. k
    Jan 16, 2007
    People are too into being entertained by movies and do not see that this is a realistic view of where our future is headed, there will be no brotherhood, peace, & coming together. Sex, violence & suing seem to be all people care about. racism is on the rise, the environment is being destroyed. the film was hopefully an eyeopener to some. the soldiers let them through because for a brief People are too into being entertained by movies and do not see that this is a realistic view of where our future is headed, there will be no brotherhood, peace, & coming together. Sex, violence & suing seem to be all people care about. racism is on the rise, the environment is being destroyed. the film was hopefully an eyeopener to some. the soldiers let them through because for a brief minute they were dumbfounded, which did not last long because violence comes before the miracle. Expand
  37. JMB.
    Jan 20, 2007
    P.B., if you had any perception you'd have noticed that this movie was beyond and above politics (only people with ridiculous shortsightedness could accuse the film's motives of being political). It's a terrific thriller with something too many thrillers lack; a real heart. It's not out to preach politics. Stunningly filmed and deep without being to bleak, it's P.B., if you had any perception you'd have noticed that this movie was beyond and above politics (only people with ridiculous shortsightedness could accuse the film's motives of being political). It's a terrific thriller with something too many thrillers lack; a real heart. It's not out to preach politics. Stunningly filmed and deep without being to bleak, it's one of the best movies of the last few years. Expand
  38. ShawnM.
    Jan 24, 2007
    Best movie I've seen this year. Cinematography is brilliant. Great sci-fi, great acting, great actors. Please go see it.
  39. MichaelL.
    Jan 20, 2007
    Without a doubt, the best, most startling movie of the year, if not the decade. It MUST be seen. It brings clearly into focus a world which is just around the corner--if not here already. Brilliant performances mixed with so many stunning moments...if the Oscars were anything more than a joke, this film would win in every catagory. See it. Now.
  40. MarkJ.
    Jan 2, 2007
    Powerful, thrilling and utterly immersing! This seemed to slip under the radar on the back end of 2006 without recieving the acclaim I think it deserves, and really was one of the best films of the year. This one will stick with you, a must see!
  41. StephenV.
    Jan 30, 2007
    Departing from the trend in recent movie-making history, Cuarón crafts a movie that doesn't have to spell everything out, because the story isn't about the tragedy of infertility, but the tragedy of apathy in a society facing its own demise. Well thought-out, and stunning in presentation and value.
  42. RaulC.
    Jan 4, 2007
    Movie of the year. Mark my words, the car chase alone will be subject of study in many Film Schools from years to come. A truly inspired movie in all respects, wich let us make the final thoughts, and as in all masterpieces, it doesn't need to answer all the questions, only morons which need everything digested and can't think for themselves may whine about the film's Movie of the year. Mark my words, the car chase alone will be subject of study in many Film Schools from years to come. A truly inspired movie in all respects, wich let us make the final thoughts, and as in all masterpieces, it doesn't need to answer all the questions, only morons which need everything digested and can't think for themselves may whine about the film's "loose ends". This movie is a true example of innovative film narration where any kind of prize there is falls short against this masterpiece, wich in many respects takes some of what interactive narration has given us, to achieve an unprecedent feel of inmersion, where we are not just spectators but participants as well. Expand
  43. JeffS
    Jan 4, 2007
    Underdeveloped characters and a plot with too many unanswered questions. Nicely shot, but that is not enough to lift it out of mediocrity.
  44. Ben
    Jan 5, 2007
    Truly lousy movie. This is one of the worst movies I've seen in years. I consider myself able to appreciate good, thoughtful, movies... but this was utter dreck. Uninspired, lacking a coherent plot, this movie was just mediocre. The attempts to draw parallels to the current US administration, their policies, and the Iraq war were painful (department of homeland security, illegal Truly lousy movie. This is one of the worst movies I've seen in years. I consider myself able to appreciate good, thoughtful, movies... but this was utter dreck. Uninspired, lacking a coherent plot, this movie was just mediocre. The attempts to draw parallels to the current US administration, their policies, and the Iraq war were painful (department of homeland security, illegal immigrants, Iraq, etc), and felt like they were thrown in to make a point rather than add meaning to the movie. Overall plot and character development were weak, with absolutely no explanation of precipitating or tangential factors (why the infertility, what is the human project, etc). Unmoving, uncaptivating, uninspiring, unbelievable, unimaginative, unfortunate waste of $9.50. Expand
  45. KA
    Jan 5, 2007
    The seeds of this movie scenario have already been sown in the real world and this film shows us the ugly flowering that could occur in twenty years if we fail to protect our civil liberties now. The gritty realism propels us into the sheer terror of this universe in a way the excellent, but more ideological, V for Vendetta did not.
  46. KevinA.
    Jan 6, 2007
    The best movie I've seen from 2006. Everything is not all wrapped up at the end - and that's a great thing as it allows our imagination be a part of the story. I purposefully did not read any reviews or plot synopsis's going in, and was duly rewarded. Thus, I'm not going to say anything about the plot. I'll just say this: This is what a movie is supposed to feel The best movie I've seen from 2006. Everything is not all wrapped up at the end - and that's a great thing as it allows our imagination be a part of the story. I purposefully did not read any reviews or plot synopsis's going in, and was duly rewarded. Thus, I'm not going to say anything about the plot. I'll just say this: This is what a movie is supposed to feel like. Brilliant. Expand
  47. MattA.
    Jan 6, 2007
    The movie was intense and very interesting. The characters were all great, and the cinematography was gripping. Yet, there were parts that were a bit too vague, and could have been developed more. However, the movie was still great aside from those flaws.
  48. PeterS.
    Jan 7, 2007
    Innovative story telling and gritty execution giving an apocalyptic and believable view of England in 2027. Two major weaknesses : the revolutionaries were too amateurish and the assasination poorly thought out. Would have benefited by being longer by about 30 minutes to explore causes of the infertility... it was too major an issue to be left completely unexplored. Otherwise miles better Innovative story telling and gritty execution giving an apocalyptic and believable view of England in 2027. Two major weaknesses : the revolutionaries were too amateurish and the assasination poorly thought out. Would have benefited by being longer by about 30 minutes to explore causes of the infertility... it was too major an issue to be left completely unexplored. Otherwise miles better than usual Hollywood rubbish and a major plus for UK Film making. Expand
  49. CharlesE.
    Jan 8, 2007
    The second half of this movie is action packed.
  50. JamesB.
    Jan 8, 2007
    Entirely conventional chase movie with all the "surprise" turns and choreographed tautness of the genre hiding behind a "deep" premise. Yawn.
  51. AugustusS.
    Jan 9, 2007
    Children of Men is the story of a sterile future. Literally: women can no longer conceive children. In the almost 20 years since children have disappeared from the planet, everything is chaos. The world has been thrown into disarray, except for Britain, which
  52. JasonC.
    Feb 10, 2007
    The idea was interesting, but it felt a bit like a boring version of Blade Runner. Not enough plot twists for my taste. It was a very linear story line with a "that's it" sort of ending.
  53. JimA.
    Feb 23, 2007
    A very good film with interesting scenes. It shows future with an alternative way and not as happy as some others films do!
  54. ApocalypseBrown
    Mar 3, 2007
    Pathetic! Tries hard to be something it can never be, which is classy.
  55. AnonymousMC
    Apr 18, 2007
    I recently rented this movie, and i though it was one of the worst movies i've ever seen. So much more could of been with the plot,. The director failed to keep the movie interesting, everything happened too quick and some of the scenes were pointless and kind of cheesy.
    I expected so much more from this film and whoever thinks this movie was good obviosly does not know anything about films
  56. SheaPeacock
    Apr 2, 2007
    Run, don't walk, to pick up the DVD for this movie. It's the most unsettling film that I've seen since "A Clockwork Orange." It's harrowing, mesmerizing, and, finally, devastating. There's a scene toward the end (you'll know which one when you watch it) that left me sitting on my sofa with tears streaming down my face ... it was an affirmation of the power of Run, don't walk, to pick up the DVD for this movie. It's the most unsettling film that I've seen since "A Clockwork Orange." It's harrowing, mesmerizing, and, finally, devastating. There's a scene toward the end (you'll know which one when you watch it) that left me sitting on my sofa with tears streaming down my face ... it was an affirmation of the power of life in the face of certain death ... Alfonso Cuaron is turning out to be our best living director, and this is the best film released in 2007. Is it the best movie ever? Perhaps it sums up our post-9/11 age better than any film ever has ... it's definitely an unexpected masterpiece. Expand
  57. MattB.
    Apr 30, 2007
    Wow! Reading all these reviews, I guess you either love it or hate it. I love this film for the same reason a lot of people hate it- because not everything is explained. I think a lot of people posting low scores have been conditioned to expect Hollywood formula where you get a nice cosy package and don't have to think too hard. This was like a snapshot of the future focussing on one Wow! Reading all these reviews, I guess you either love it or hate it. I love this film for the same reason a lot of people hate it- because not everything is explained. I think a lot of people posting low scores have been conditioned to expect Hollywood formula where you get a nice cosy package and don't have to think too hard. This was like a snapshot of the future focussing on one man; why do we nee to know his past or the intricacies of governemnt ideology? This painted a believable vision of consumer society gone mad; the acting was tremendous- a career high for Michael Caine. Expand
  58. SteveK.
    Apr 4, 2007
    If I could, I'd give it a 6.5. It's gripping and haunting while I was watching it, but ultimately, it didn't pass the one-day test for me. In one day, I wasn't thinking about this movie at all. The theme of hope is compelling, but there is little development, not enough meat on the themes of the plot, just lots of repetive chase scenes and chaotic violence. One day, If I could, I'd give it a 6.5. It's gripping and haunting while I was watching it, but ultimately, it didn't pass the one-day test for me. In one day, I wasn't thinking about this movie at all. The theme of hope is compelling, but there is little development, not enough meat on the themes of the plot, just lots of repetive chase scenes and chaotic violence. One day, someone will come along and remake this movie, and when they do, there are a lot of elements here for a classic movie that will resonate for ages. But in its present form, it is an entertaining diversion, but little more. Expand
  59. Ciaran
    Apr 9, 2007
    This was a beautifully made film, it wasn't pretentious, it was raw, gritty and real.
  60. PnArdyPnArdy
    May 13, 2007
    This is one of the most boring and awful blockbusters with horrible acting, decorations, plot, and SFX, I've ever seen. It Definetely doesn't deserve 8 out of 10. Clive Owen plays a legal citizen in the post-apocalyptic world of NWO of the near future. He has to smuggle the last pregnant woman on Earth past the all seeing eyes of NWO spies in the city of London under marshall law.
  61. RobertH.
    May 30, 2007
    One of the most thoughtful and heartfelt thrillers I have ever seen. Alfonso Cuaron has crafted a masterpiece that will not be forgotten. It is arguably one of the most overlooked films of the past ten years.
  62. LoganS.
    May 5, 2007
    Personally I find this movie to be a full 10 out of 10 due to the intellectual stimulation it offers if nothing else. It dares to challenge the mind. I cannot speak for the book itself but as any sort of adaptation it shines as brilliantly as Lord of the Rings or Bladerunner. On the other hand the cinematic presentation of the material was absolutely stunning with massive uncut scenes Personally I find this movie to be a full 10 out of 10 due to the intellectual stimulation it offers if nothing else. It dares to challenge the mind. I cannot speak for the book itself but as any sort of adaptation it shines as brilliantly as Lord of the Rings or Bladerunner. On the other hand the cinematic presentation of the material was absolutely stunning with massive uncut scenes that made it a definitively realistic viewing. Despite this many audience members may not enjoy the movie fully due to the simple fact that many people do not enjoy viewing movies to be intellectually stimulated on any high level. Suffice to say you will not enjoy this movie if you cannot question it. I would say it's a must have for any serious movie collection, regardless. Expand
  63. C.B.
    May 7, 2007
    Visually amazing
  64. ChristopherW.
    May 8, 2007
    In my opinion, this is the best film of 2006. Simply put, this is flawless filmmaking and a brilliantly conceived premise and execution. The whole cast and crew deserve high praise. The much esteemed tracking shots are not overrated in the least. There are many scenes in this masterpiece that made my jaw drop in their cinematic splendor. Pay close attention to the assault by hooligans on In my opinion, this is the best film of 2006. Simply put, this is flawless filmmaking and a brilliantly conceived premise and execution. The whole cast and crew deserve high praise. The much esteemed tracking shots are not overrated in the least. There are many scenes in this masterpiece that made my jaw drop in their cinematic splendor. Pay close attention to the assault by hooligans on a traveling vehicle carrying pivotal characters. How did they do that? Wow! Great film and a definite must-see. Expand
  65. TristanB.
    May 8, 2007
    One of the greatest visual master pieces that I have seen in a long time. Alfonso has proved himself an excellent director, primely with his choice of long single take action sequences, which gives the film an even more believable appeal. It is one of the best sci-fi movies that have ever been brought to life on screen.
  66. MortenN
    Aug 6, 2007
    This is a great movie. It was emotionally captivating, had great action sequences and gave the right balance between solving the mysteries and letting us think for ourself. I honestly don't understand those who think this movie suck.
  67. RayB.
    Jan 19, 2008
    The characters and the world in which they find themselve struggling to survive (and save the human species) moved me moreso than any other film has in ages, But, ultimately, it was the story of disillusioned, beaten-down, ordinary people trying to make their way in a brutal world that can sometimes be quite beautiful but often is not and how they somehow find it in themselves to rise to The characters and the world in which they find themselve struggling to survive (and save the human species) moved me moreso than any other film has in ages, But, ultimately, it was the story of disillusioned, beaten-down, ordinary people trying to make their way in a brutal world that can sometimes be quite beautiful but often is not and how they somehow find it in themselves to rise to the occasion and be heroic in ways they could never have expected of themselves. I watched the movie and immediately calculated my age in November 2027 to be 64. It's far enough away to be a world we can avoid if we elect the right leaders and globally make the right decisions, but it's also a world that's already here in so many ways - a world where Iraq is never contained and the entire world except possibly the United Kingdom has become Iraq. It's beautifully filmed and remarkably edited. The acting and writing is the best of 2006, possibly the best of the past ten years. It's despairing and anxiety-producing and supremely upsetting. And, strangely, it is the most hopeful movie I have seen in a long time. Many questions aren't answered - such as why women are infertile and no child has been born since 2009. But the people who live in this dystopian future, namely us 20 years from now, don't know these answers either. So would it really have been fair for me sitting confortably at the theater in Battery Park City to know when they didn't? See this movie. Wait a month or two and see it again. Then have a long conversation over pie and coffee with two friends who've also seen it more than once. It is uncommonly good filmmaking. Oh, and one more thing - in two scenes there are shots panning newspaper and magazine clippings; pay close attention and learn what's happened since 2006 - i.e. "Kazahkstan Annihilated" - the film delivers exposition as good as I've ever seen it. Expand
  68. USMCGuy
    Oct 5, 2008
    Only intelligent people who don't need to be spoon-fed every single plot point should watch it. This movie plays out as the book, relies on stark realism of how the world would be without children, without a future. However it doesn't tell you anything, and the ending is left open. The director said it's up to the viewer to decide their own ending. An optimistic person will Only intelligent people who don't need to be spoon-fed every single plot point should watch it. This movie plays out as the book, relies on stark realism of how the world would be without children, without a future. However it doesn't tell you anything, and the ending is left open. The director said it's up to the viewer to decide their own ending. An optimistic person will say 'happily ever after.' and A pessimist the opposite. And the average moronic moviegoer will say "But what happens next? ZOMG THIS MOVIE DIDNT TELL ME EVERYTHING IT SUCKS" So... what are you? Expand
  69. JamesL.
    Jan 6, 2008
    Boring mindless chase movie. Who's side are we supposed to root for? Problem is you tend not to care. The only thing I was rooting for were the closing credits.
  70. CodeyB.
    Apr 6, 2008
    Anyone who rides this film off as no-braining idiot culture obviously has a clue on, well, not much at all... With it's surreal presentation, Children of Men gives just a tiny, oh so sweet taste on several powerful problems that could potentially rock the human race in times too come. As the director and producers explore and apply their philosophies, an interesting, albeit quite Anyone who rides this film off as no-braining idiot culture obviously has a clue on, well, not much at all... With it's surreal presentation, Children of Men gives just a tiny, oh so sweet taste on several powerful problems that could potentially rock the human race in times too come. As the director and producers explore and apply their philosophies, an interesting, albeit quite bland story emerges. However it is the way the world of Children of Men exacts itself on the viewer that makes this movie what it is. Hidden in the subtlties is indeed something rich that sets this movie apart and defines it as a must see. Expand
  71. andyr
    Apr 20, 2010
    It was above average and might be a 7.5, but between a 7 and 8 I lean a little towards the 8. I'd say it's worth seeing, but I'm not sure you'll remember it the way other really good movies do.
  72. SamuelM.
    Dec 16, 2006
    The finest movie I have seen in a VERY long time. Superbly put together, the scary part was what was presented was just far enough to be in the future yet close enough to be disturbing. Brilliant.
  73. SteveT.
    Dec 20, 2006
    An emotionally powerful movie with some unforgettable and shockingly realistic action scenes. My favorite film of 2006.
  74. ChrisF.
    Jan 10, 2007
    This is one of the few relevant, compelling, engaging, interesting, thought provoking, exciting and worthwhile films released this decade. Richard F. is right about his comparison with Half Life 2... both are cinematic adventures that ask us to reevaluate how we treat each other and the world around us. Both are done with great attention to detail and transport the viewer into a world This is one of the few relevant, compelling, engaging, interesting, thought provoking, exciting and worthwhile films released this decade. Richard F. is right about his comparison with Half Life 2... both are cinematic adventures that ask us to reevaluate how we treat each other and the world around us. Both are done with great attention to detail and transport the viewer into a world alien enough to allow for fantasy, and real enough to provoke thought and emotion. Did you miss the theme when you played through HL2 as well? I feel only condescending pity towards those who blow off this film or otherwise just don't "get it". Do us a favor and stop eating all our food! Expand
  75. MikeH.
    Jan 10, 2007
    Obviously marketing for this movie deserves a TEN, but the actual content, the actual story, message, moral? ZERO... there IS NO MESSAGE TO THIS FILM. IT IS A CIPHER, it's just a rollercoaster with guns and violence, and the acting comes from being shot at and watching a woman have a baby... there's NO CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT. All bang, no substance, so why are people giving this Obviously marketing for this movie deserves a TEN, but the actual content, the actual story, message, moral? ZERO... there IS NO MESSAGE TO THIS FILM. IT IS A CIPHER, it's just a rollercoaster with guns and violence, and the acting comes from being shot at and watching a woman have a baby... there's NO CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT. All bang, no substance, so why are people giving this film a TOP rating? I smell a HUGE RAT. Expand
  76. TomO.
    Jan 10, 2007
    Reminiscent of "28 Days Later," this is "sci-fi" in that it hypothesizes a dystopian future situation, but not in incorporating many advanced technologies. In fact, everything in the brilliant, dark production design looks contemporary, albeit seedy, dirty and worn (as in "Brazil," and "Blade Runner"). The more I see of his work, the more I admire director Alfonso Cuaron. "HP & the Reminiscent of "28 Days Later," this is "sci-fi" in that it hypothesizes a dystopian future situation, but not in incorporating many advanced technologies. In fact, everything in the brilliant, dark production design looks contemporary, albeit seedy, dirty and worn (as in "Brazil," and "Blade Runner"). The more I see of his work, the more I admire director Alfonso Cuaron. "HP & the Prisoner of Azkaban" and "Y Tu Mama Tambien" were exemplary. His H-P title was easily the best of this multi-director franchise series. Central to the premise of Children is the dissolution of society, apparently catalyzed by a worldwide total crash in fertility. We had an interesting debate over what sort of philosophical and psychological crisis such a development would provoke, and there's no doubt it would be shattering. But we were both unsure whether the world would go crazy in a violent way. The film also implies that many individuals interpret the fertility crisis as a theological judgment, and that's highly credible. At the behavioral level, the depictions of terrorists/freedom-fighters and fascist-style Homeland Security forces are also believable. Several of the scenes seem to have been evoked by Abu Ghraib photos. The action sequences are spectacularly well done. Altogether, a thought-provoking, dark, tense film. And a splendid example of what sci-fi can do best. Expand
  77. GaborA.
    Jan 1, 2007
    Not only does Cuaron have an unconventional long shot near the finale lasting almost ten minutes, but the story feels like a long stretch of implausible coincidences falling into place. Despite the fact that the movie discredits all religious undertones and even makes fun of the notion that Theo and Key make it can only be described as sheer miracle. The movie makes up for this with solid Not only does Cuaron have an unconventional long shot near the finale lasting almost ten minutes, but the story feels like a long stretch of implausible coincidences falling into place. Despite the fact that the movie discredits all religious undertones and even makes fun of the notion that Theo and Key make it can only be described as sheer miracle. The movie makes up for this with solid acting and filmmaking, but scenes inevitably lose some of their power when they only happen for the sake of happening. Expand
  78. DaricW.
    Jan 10, 2007
    Cinematically, a good movie. It had great presentation. That earns it a five. Nothing else does. The parallels it tried to draw to current US policy were amazingly flawed.
  79. JojoH.
    Jan 10, 2007
    Wow. I highly recommend this film. I have never seen a movie with better cinematography.
  80. GabrielL.
    Jan 1, 2007
    The movie of the year, period. It was so fully realized and well acted. Funny, touching, terrifying, and thrilling. My only complaint was that it ended when it did. I could have taken another hour.
  81. Garou
    Jan 14, 2007
    One of the best movies ever made, sensational acting from Clive Owen, love the photography, the argument, mindblowing movie. Every review against it is so simplistic an shallow that is simply not to be taken into consideration.
  82. DavW.
    Jan 15, 2007
    Not bad, although not nearly as good as i hoped. It was a very nicely done movie with a good balance of plot and action, however from the look of the movie I just expected something more than what it actually delivered, a bit of a let down.
  83. Irwin
    Hardly original, Children of Men
  84. Minnehappiness
    Jan 15, 2007
    One of the best films I've seen in a long time. I think this puts Curaon up there with Kubrick as one of the most devastingly good directors ever. The atmosphere, the textures, the details to every scene, the way he puts the viewer inside the story, it's all done like a master of film. Good performances, amazing action, food for thought, and heavy emotions hang under the One of the best films I've seen in a long time. I think this puts Curaon up there with Kubrick as one of the most devastingly good directors ever. The atmosphere, the textures, the details to every scene, the way he puts the viewer inside the story, it's all done like a master of film. Good performances, amazing action, food for thought, and heavy emotions hang under the surface. If you're ok with not having everything explained or wrapped up for you about the background story of the world in chaos, then you're in for a fanstastic story. I think to explain all the back story would either come across as too simplistic or take too much time from what essentially is a nativity story set in a crumbling violent world. Expand
  85. Filmfan
    Jan 2, 2007
    Really, the movie was good, but not THAT good. A lot of the dystopian stuff is fairy cliche--Mad Max/Day of the Dead stuff, with a little Chris Marker thrown in. Trite ending. The movie is very admirable for the straightforwardness of the scenes--it never depends on special effects. Worth seeing, but a movie, not a film.
  86. ReyG.
    Jan 23, 2007
    Good plot, well acted, surprising finale.
  87. KeithJ
    Dec 30, 2007
    The professional reviewers explain why the movie's good. To answer user comments: 1 - why does it matter what caused infertility? This isn't a jigsaw puzzle or CSI: Miami. 2 - if you think it "ended in the middle" without conclusion, perhaps you should stick to the Spider-Man or Superman franchises of movies. The ending was plenty clear.
  88. JeffD.
    Jan 24, 2007
    This movie has the same feel as "28 days later" yet fails to bring the audience in and allow them to care what's happening to the characters. Storyline had great potential but is filled with meaningless and uninteresting dialog as well as an over-abundance of violence which adds nothing to the story or the progression of the characters themselves. A 2-hour waste of time.
  89. TimS.
    Jan 26, 2007
    Brilliant movie. The plot is pretty good but could do with a little more explanation. However the pace is brilliant as is the acting. Where this movie scores best is the cinematography...absolutely incredible. It has to be some of the most important filmaking in recent memory. See it for yourselves!!
  90. Mobius
    Jan 27, 2007
    A rare treat. it has some very clever camera work. the story seems to be told from Clive Owens perspective so you only know what he knows you never understand who the fish are and why various groups are fighting but for me that makes the film focus on the charactors and there are some touching moments. look at this film as the journey of one man that gets caught up in something much A rare treat. it has some very clever camera work. the story seems to be told from Clive Owens perspective so you only know what he knows you never understand who the fish are and why various groups are fighting but for me that makes the film focus on the charactors and there are some touching moments. look at this film as the journey of one man that gets caught up in something much bigger himself. watch it and enjoy the journey. Expand
  91. RachelR.
    Jan 27, 2007
    Not a bad movie, but throughout I was left with a feeling that I had seen this all before and I had seen it done much more cleverly. Twelve Monkeys, 28 Days Later, all better movies.
  92. V.Martinez
    Jan 28, 2007
    A stinker...Pop a chewable Prozac before you see this one, because it's bleeping depressing. The world falls completely apart in the next 20 years?? Must be global warming's fault. Underground rebels, fascist soldiers, more chase scenes, cliche here, cliche there. So many unanswered questions that I stopped caring about anything this movie tried to convey, namely that dogs can A stinker...Pop a chewable Prozac before you see this one, because it's bleeping depressing. The world falls completely apart in the next 20 years?? Must be global warming's fault. Underground rebels, fascist soldiers, more chase scenes, cliche here, cliche there. So many unanswered questions that I stopped caring about anything this movie tried to convey, namely that dogs can reproduce, but humans can't (shouldn't?) :0) Maybe Part II will be Puppies of Dogs. Seriously, there are so many people giving this mediocre movie a 9 or 10 that I think maybe our world might look like this in 20 years (me? I'll be in the 'Fugee' section begging for my $9 back). Expand
  93. BitBurn
    Jan 29, 2007
    That one part near the end (don't want to spoil it!!!) is easily one of the most moving scenes I have ever seen in a film.
  94. TrudyP.
    Jan 31, 2007
    Certainly one of the finest films I have seen in years...why can't they make more films like this???
  95. PaulG.
    Jan 30, 2007
    Children of Men is gripping and exciting from beginning to end. It should win the Academey Awards for screenwriting, edting and cinematography.
  96. RyanH.
    Jan 3, 2007
    This was an amazing movie. The use of the camera in intense situations was quite beautiful. Kept me entertained the whole way and wasn't predictable. My guess is that McDonald's is the reason people become infertile in the near future. Cheers!
  97. DavidH.
    Jan 3, 2007
    Indeed the world HAS gone bonkers when film academics give rave reviews to this kind of trite rubbish. Children of Men's meandering plotline is in no way helped by the film's confused allegory. Clive Owen is his usual turgid self. The film's social commentary is by equal measure myopic and simplistic. Action sequences, especially the finale, smack of similarities to films Indeed the world HAS gone bonkers when film academics give rave reviews to this kind of trite rubbish. Children of Men's meandering plotline is in no way helped by the film's confused allegory. Clive Owen is his usual turgid self. The film's social commentary is by equal measure myopic and simplistic. Action sequences, especially the finale, smack of similarities to films such as Downfall and the Pianist, the visuals throughout the film are tiresomely familiar to anyone accustomed to other sci-fi releases such as Blade Runner, Brazil, A.I and Minority Report. To top it all off, the drama is thin, exhibiting not a single memorable character. Shame, the editing is suberb. Expand
  98. JamesM
    Jan 4, 2007
    An instant classic, remarkably rich in detail on every level, remarkably expressive in its use of every cinematic tool, and remarkably successful in exploring its ambitious themes and ideas. Required viewing for everyone on this planet, this is not just the film of the year, but the film of decade.
  99. A.R.L.
    Jan 4, 2007
    An epic movie with many dystopian elements. Amazingly directed creating a memorizing environment which places you in the movie. Michael Caine gives a charming performance of optimism. Clive Owen plays somewhat of a working class hero which is reflected by the musical theme of the movie. I could watch it over and over and over. In fact I already have, ha!
  100. FrankV.
    Jan 5, 2007
    I didn't quite understand the point to this movie? The comparison to the 'modern-day' are pretty obvious even if it's the stereotypical anarchic world of the future. But how did it get to be that way? That isn't well explained. And why smuggle Kee and her baby to The Human Project? It just didn't make sense. In spite of the rave reviews of this hot new I didn't quite understand the point to this movie? The comparison to the 'modern-day' are pretty obvious even if it's the stereotypical anarchic world of the future. But how did it get to be that way? That isn't well explained. And why smuggle Kee and her baby to The Human Project? It just didn't make sense. In spite of the rave reviews of this hot new director the film looked like it was filmed in the grungiest place that could be found. There is lots of shrapnel flying, which reminded me of Saving Private Ryan. I can't imagine society going that way even if there is no hope. This movie is grim and ultimately unsatisfying. Expand

1. Reviewed by: David Ansen
    Children of Men leaves too many questions unanswered, yet it has a stunning visceral impact. You can forgive a lot in the face of filmmaking this dazzling.
  2. Reviewed by: Derek Elley
    Picture more than delivers on the action front -- not in bang-for-your-buck spectacle but in the kind of gritty, doculike sequences that haul viewers out of their seats and alongside the main protags.
  3. Owen carries the film more in the tradition of a Jimmy Stewart or Henry Fonda than a Clint Eastwood or Harrison Ford. He has to wear flip-flops for part of the time without losing his dignity, and he never reaches for a weapon or guns anyone down. Cuaron and Owen may have created the first believable 21st-century movie hero.