8.9

1. Oct 2, 2014
    An emotionally visceral, graphically violent piece of cinema, City of God (Cidade de Deus) might be one of the most brutally honest films I've ever seen. Noting is taboo as the movie shows children being shot, countless dead bodies, and ruthless behavior; all the more shocking because it's real. The movie takes place in the City of God, an area in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, far from theAn emotionally visceral, graphically violent piece of cinema, City of God (Cidade de Deus) might be one of the most brutally honest films I've ever seen. Noting is taboo as the movie shows children being shot, countless dead bodies, and ruthless behavior; all the more shocking because it's real. The movie takes place in the City of God, an area in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, far from the places shown on the touristy postcards. It's a slum, and it seems like you'd be lucky to make it into your 20's living there. The story follows a young man named Rocket as he aspires to be a photographer, while showing bleak backdrop of the drug trade and constant gang warfare in the area. The director purposefully uses little-known actors to make the feel of the movie more authentic, and the way he presents the material through the stunning cinematography and a superb script is amazing. I'm shocked it didn't succeed in getting nominated for best Foreign Language film at the Oscars, but nonetheless it is a powerful and important film that earns its critical praise. Some viewers will be unable to watch parts of this movie; it really is that shocking. Expand
  2. Nov 8, 2012
    When the credits begin to roll, your eyes will be wide, thoughts racing, your mind still trying to comprehend the impeccable City of God.
  3. j30
    Jan 26, 2012
    City of God is a great movie. There's no doubt in my mind that it'll go down as one of the greatest of all-time. Beautiful cinematography, great direction, fantastic acting, this is one of the more artistic movies you'll see ever. This movie is up there with The Godfather, Goodfellas, and Pulp Fiction.
  4. Jan 8, 2012
    I have been wanting to watch this film for several years now and now that I have, I realise why everyone has been recommending it. It is well crafted, small character stories of the favelas (slums) of Rio where violence is out of control and kids grow up thinking it is a natural way of life. A story told passionately, by the director that also brought us the brilliant Constant Gardener,I have been wanting to watch this film for several years now and now that I have, I realise why everyone has been recommending it. It is well crafted, small character stories of the favelas (slums) of Rio where violence is out of control and kids grow up thinking it is a natural way of life. A story told passionately, by the director that also brought us the brilliant Constant Gardener, using mostly first time actors who grew up in these "hoods" and only have to be themselves, thus augmenting the reality feel factor of the film. Expand
  5. Jan 3, 2014
    Com certeza de longe o melhor filme brasileiro de todos os tempos, graças um trabalho primoroso de alto nível fizeram essa película fortemente apreciada em todo o mundo.
  6. May 1, 2014
    A rather violent movie with very complex and thought-provoking storyline based on a true story. Great filming and direction. Definitely this movie should be watched by everyone who loves good movies.
  7. Sep 30, 2014
    This is truly a brilliant movie! Engaging, profound, crude, and touching. Although humorous at times, some of the scenes are also hard to watch and it might make you question certain values we hold based on things that we take for granted. This movie takes you to a reality that most of us have never imagined. I also like the sociological ideas/ message behind this film. It is not myThis is truly a brilliant movie! Engaging, profound, crude, and touching. Although humorous at times, some of the scenes are also hard to watch and it might make you question certain values we hold based on things that we take for granted. This movie takes you to a reality that most of us have never imagined. I also like the sociological ideas/ message behind this film. It is not my favourite movie ever, but for what it offers, it is definitely a 10. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. We have it at home. Expand
  8. Mar 4, 2013
    City of God follows the fortunes of a group of children growing up in a poor, crime infested part of Rio de Janeiro. The story centers mainly around two characters. Each with very similar lives, but who take vastly different paths. This juxtaposition is what drives the narrative in City Of God, and what makes it so compelling.

Rocket feels out of place in the world he lives. he wants to

Rocket feels out of place in the world he lives. he wants to be a photographer. We know from the moment we meet him that he longs to rise above the horrendous poverty and crime that envelopes him. He stands out in this world, others are naturally drawn to his soft temperament and demeanor even if they don't realize the reason. Rocket does not readily have the means to rise above this world so consequently he comes across many stumbling blocks in his life. One of the more interesting sequences in the film is when Rocket concludes that he has no other options than to resort to the life most of his peers have. How this decision plays out results in some of the more lighthearted moments in City Of God. While Rocket's path may not be more interesting than others in the story, it is the most sympathetic.

Li'l Ze is the polar opposite of Rocket. He doesn't long to rise above this world, he longs to rule over it. The perverse crime and violence he sees all around him doesn't hinder him, it compels him. Li'l Ze earns the kind of respect that comes from brute force, and he learns these tactics at a frighteningly young age. If Li'l Ze is going to be a criminal he is determined to the most powerful criminal in the City of God. This is his only motivation, and what he allows to define his existence.

There are many other characters in City Of God. This film has lots of moving parts. However most of the other players move within the framework of the two main characters. Rocket and Li'l Ze are the black and white of the movie, while the other characters represent the shades of gray. It is an interesting way to tell a story, and works exceptionally well here.

If I have an issue with City of God it is with the way the movie was shot. We get very few static shots in this film. Everything is quick cuts and shaky camera. While this style never completely keeps me from enjoying a film, it can detract from my enjoyment some. It is very hard to get a sense of time and place when this style is employed, City if God was no exception to this. It also make it difficult to differentiate between the good and bad acting within this style. I suppose this can work positively for the director, but I still consider it a detriment.

Overall I would consider City of God a great crime drama. The story is extremely well told, with many interesting memorable characters. This is the kind of movie that is still with you weeks or months after you see it. I am looking forward to revisiting it in the future.
  9. Jan 29, 2014
    Brazilian Goodfellas from a low-rent perspective. Unique characters drift in and out of gang life, trying to survive in their own ways. Touches us with elements of familiarity and shows how if the environment were a bit different, these horrible options could become a reality anywhere. Great movie. Well done.
  10. May 2, 2012
    City of God tells its story through multiple small stories and numerous characters yet the tale it tells and the world it shows is remarkably cohesive. A bleak picture is painted of 1960's Rio, one where goodness is easily corrupted and the corrupted hold the power.
  11. Feb 6, 2012
    Based on real events this Masterpiece is out of range. No drug / slum or something else movie can compare with this. It's so intimidating and disturbing, you cant believe this is true. Heavily underrated in many ways and absolutely worth the time!
  12. Feb 28, 2013
    This movie was amazing, the level of realism was great, the acting was great, despite there being no stars in the film. It really had meaning, when some of the characters died, I even felt that I cared.
  13. Jan 13, 2011
    Rough, raw, brutal, intense, beautiful, powerful. These words are only a few that can be used to describe this movie. May be too rough and brutal in it's depiction for some, but you won't forget the experience
  14. Aug 1, 2012
    Filmogaphy on this move is an evolution of anything hollywood ever acomplished. A real lesson on how to film a story that screams reality. One of the most violent movies ever made is also one of the most beautifully filmed.
  15. Oct 10, 2014
    It's a strong and realistic portrait of difficulties of living in Brazil's favelas .. It's violent, often hard to see, the acting is excellent and the plot just awsome. Moreover, the story is based on true events: that's enforce the realism and the immersion! Finally, the scenes are wonderfully filmed: the producer dealt an incredible work! Sure we are facing one of the best movies everIt's a strong and realistic portrait of difficulties of living in Brazil's favelas .. It's violent, often hard to see, the acting is excellent and the plot just awsome. Moreover, the story is based on true events: that's enforce the realism and the immersion! Finally, the scenes are wonderfully filmed: the producer dealt an incredible work! Sure we are facing one of the best movies ever made! (specially in foreign country) Expand
  16. Dec 31, 2010
    Cidade de Deus, or, City of God is a Brazilian film, directed by Fernando Meirelles, released in the year 2002, tells the story of life in the slums of Rio de Janeiro, in an area known as the Cidade De Deus, the City of God. Fortunately or unfortunately, you are left in a world you donâ
  17. Aug 26, 2010
    quite simply the best film you will ever see
  18. Apr 2, 2013
    Amazing movie, director Fernado teach us that the good cinema is everywhere, the performance are incredible, and all the history of this picture have sense with the real life now, is amazing and maybe one of the best movies foreign language.
  19. AndreR.
    Jan 17, 2003
    The film that blows Gangs of New York in all the ways. Here it looks real. Meirelles did a masterpiece. Amores Perros mixed with Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs, but this time with some social matters. Amazing!
  20. Hercules
    Jan 30, 2004
    The best movie of the year... amazing, powerful, brilliant...
  21. BrianH.
    Feb 8, 2004
    Like when you watch a movie like Schindler's list you just again think oh my god, this is reality put on screen, actual life for millions of slum dwellers in third world slum making american inner cities look moderately trouble and european cities like paradise. This film should be made obligatoric material in schools!
  22. Petra
    Aug 7, 2009
    Great movie.
  23. ZCameron
    Nov 24, 2003
    A masterpiece. This film ropes the viewer in so easily that by the end of the film it seems as though the extreme Violence and degradation that these children live amongst is normality. Beautifully shot and constructed with enough character development to leave you loving li'l Ze` and hating the police. My favourite film of the last decade followed closely by Kolya.
  24. Marc-o
    Oct 8, 2003
    Just about Perfect!!! My only problem was that it should have been longer, beautifully shot considering the subject matter and the writers show a huge talent in story telling in both structure and character, better than anything to come out of any other film making country this year. I will definately recommend this to anyone who will listen.
  25. DessaE.
    Apr 26, 2003
    Very moving and realistic. The actors seem to age on screen.
  26. MattH
    Nov 10, 2004
    Utterly superb. I missed the cinema release but the DVD has become the most treasured in my collection. Absorbing and fantastic.
  27. ChrisS.
    Mar 20, 2004
    I think that this movie is a piece of genius, as well as the amazing camera action and violence but because it seems as though you are watching into a real piece of life and not actually watching a film. However not for the faint hearted.
  28. KeiS.
    Mar 2, 2004
    This movie is amazing! Something like a Brazilian "Boys In The Hood". Honest and compelling - it touches on those realities mainstream society ignores, and disenfranchised people of poverty recognize as truth.
  29. ChrisM.
    Jun 30, 2004
    Put simply. One of the best films ever made.
  30. Rico
    Jun 9, 2004
    Looks like I have a new favorite movie. Step aside, Pulp Fiction.
  31. KatieP
    Jul 5, 2004
    Very good. Excellent in the sense that it puts the viewers in The City of God along with the "hoods".
  32. StephanieS
    Jan 11, 2005
    This movie is one of the best I've ever seen. Anyone who gives it a low rating probably likes fluff movies with alot of unrealistic drama and storylines. CoG is a true to life film, deeply moving and simply brilliant, and I have not come across one person who hasn't liked it. Educated college students adore it. A masterpiece.
  33. adamf.
    Jan 31, 2005
    Amazing one of the best films ever.
  34. SimG
    Aug 12, 2005
    One of my all-time favorite foreign films.
  35. WelingtonS.
    Jan 1, 2006
    A masterpiece.
  36. CiaronD.
    Jan 4, 2006
    Utter class! the city of god is a classic film set in the ghetto of brazil, showing real life events and on-goings, amazing story, has to be a all time favourite of mine, 1st discovered it in film studies at college and thought it was class from the first viewing! hope to see it again soon!
  37. NickA.
    Aug 20, 2007
    One of the most powerful dramas of the decade is 'City of God.' Fernando Meirelles proves that he can run with the most acclaimed directors in modern cinema with this film. His disciplined style is vigorously enchanting as much as it is appealing. For his furious and violent tale, 'City of God,' he portrays, with shocking realism, the slums of Rio de Janeiro from the late 60
  38. ThomasA.
    Mar 11, 2008
    In my top 5 of Gangster movies, fabulous and scary this is a film everyone should see.
  39. NatW.
    Mar 2, 2009
    Only the best film ever! great soundtrack
  40. AaronA.
    Feb 22, 2003
    Brilliantly shot and edited. great cast. utterly authentic, gritty feel. weakened by tunnel-vision, lack of context, no discernible POV; but must see nonetheless.
  41. RenataC.
    Jul 20, 2003
    Very very very very very good!
  42. CassieG.
    Sep 19, 2003
    Very powerful, everyone should see it.
  43. Kelly
    Sep 25, 2003
    Incredible. It absolutely blew me away. A movie that everyone should see and one that no one will forget.
  44. KUniD.
    Sep 29, 2003
    Powerful, Compelling, and Thought-provoking movie! I saw this movie couple of months ago but I can still remember it very well. From the beginning, the movie grabs you and won't let go.....(I can still remember this movie very well)... The movie is very realistic and it is fun, action, thrilling movie all the way. I think it is due to a smartass director. Cudos to him for making such Powerful, Compelling, and Thought-provoking movie! I saw this movie couple of months ago but I can still remember it very well. From the beginning, the movie grabs you and won't let go.....(I can still remember this movie very well)... The movie is very realistic and it is fun, action, thrilling movie all the way. I think it is due to a smartass director. Cudos to him for making such a bold and powerful movie. One of my favorites this year besides Whale Rider, Dirty Pretty Things, Tibet:Cry of the Snow Lion, and LAGAAN (from last year). Expand
  45. FelipeR.
    Jan 9, 2004
    It´s the best movie from my country!!!!!!
  46. Patrick
    Feb 23, 2004
    This is a movie of epic proportions.
  47. CameronS.
    Feb 27, 2004
    City of God is a masterpiece about gangs that would make Martin Scorsese proud with envy. It?s been related to his opus of crime ?Goodfellas? for a good reason. The first thing you?ll have to know is that the City of God is the slums of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, a part of the city that has been sealed off by the wealthy. The first scene of the movie displays the film as instantly kinetic City of God is a masterpiece about gangs that would make Martin Scorsese proud with envy. It?s been related to his opus of crime ?Goodfellas? for a good reason. The first thing you?ll have to know is that the City of God is the slums of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, a part of the city that has been sealed off by the wealthy. The first scene of the movie displays the film as instantly kinetic and gives you an extreme of what you?re in for, but for all the quick cutting, you still get a good sense of geography and what?s happening, unlike a Michael Bay movie. After the first scene, our raconteur and main character, Rocket, flashes us back to tell the story. Which is what the film is mostly comprised of, a bunch of stories. The first story is about the Tender Trio: Goose, Shorty, and Shaggy; mostly older brothers of other characters in the movie. They frequently hijack trucks carrying water, gasoline, or other supplies, as if they were cowboys in the old west. One of them has an experimental sexual encounter that goes out of kilter. After this point of the film, everything is easily interesting. Another story in the film that is well edited is the story of the apartment. It goes through at least a half dozen parties before coming back to the present. Then there is the story of Lil? Ze, formally known as Lil? Dice, who becomes the ?King? of City of God. There are so many characters that are so well-developed and exciting to be around, it?s easy to lose track. There is ?Carrot? a red-headed Portuguese-man who competes with Lil? Ze for business and starts the war with him. There is Knockout Ned, who works for the city bus system, and his family is tarnished greatly by a horrible event done by Li?l Ze. And then, there is Bene, ?the coolest guy in all of City of God?, he buys drinks for everybody and gives away joints for free very often. The film doesn?t have memorable scenes per say, it has memorable sequences. The drug business is like any other business. And there is a corporate ladder as well. Now I have got to explain our narrator and main character, Rocket, though he isn?t the main character in a sense that he has the most screen time. He wants to be a photographer and his camera is his weapon. He takes photos of Lil? Ze?s gang, and has them developed in the newspaper he?s interning at. Out of some mishap, the pictures get published in the front paper; he thinks this will spell his doom. His entire life, he?s had trouble losing his virginity, and this frustrates him to no end, he has a sucker?s life. Events like this lead him to partake in one of the gangs. What I appreciated most about the narrative structure of the film is how Rocket acknowledges a character and tells us he has a story about him, but that will come later in the film. I don?t know how far into the movie I was, but at some point, I wanted the film to keep going on. I was so enthralled by all the characters in it; I never wanted it to stop. It?s like reading a big novel you enjoy and you flip to the back to see how many pages you have left, for you want to never stop reading. You just want as much content you can grab onto. And in 135 minutes, City of God gives you a whole lot to grasp. The gang warfare is captured like a real war movie, though I don?t know if there was necessarily a point to the gang warfare, only that it shows that vengeance breeds violence, or violence breeds vengeance, or violence breeds violence, or vengeance breeds vengeance, or something like that and it will continue to recycle from person to person, vendetta to vendetta, until we are all gone. The film is something of a phenomenon of a stylistic filmmaking accomplishment in a film plentifully substantial. But the most amazing part of the film comes at the very end: based on a true story. Expand
  48. BrunoA.
    Feb 3, 2004
    Just perfect!!!
  49. PamM.
    Mar 15, 2004
    There's only a word to describe this movie: MAMMA MIA!!!
  50. AsiaZ.
    Jun 15, 2004
    Wow. This movie is superior on so many levels. First of all, the acting was superb. The characters- especially the hoodlums, were so realistically portrayed at times it felt like a documentary. Second of all, the cinematography was right up there with the best I have ever seen. Words can't describe how gritty the favela looks in the film. I am reccomendig this film to everyone as a Wow. This movie is superior on so many levels. First of all, the acting was superb. The characters- especially the hoodlums, were so realistically portrayed at times it felt like a documentary. Second of all, the cinematography was right up there with the best I have ever seen. Words can't describe how gritty the favela looks in the film. I am reccomendig this film to everyone as a MUST see. It is that good. Expand
  51. LilyL.
    Jun 19, 2004
    Cinematography, storytelling, the characters (first time acting!), flawless...and what about the Brazilian culture? Remember: it's Titled: City of God...which also have the meaning to it. This movie I believe isn't mainly focused on violence. It is saying that there are places that many people don't know how it's like to be living in a City of God.
  52. DennisP.
    Jul 23, 2004
    Very rarely does a movie deserve a "10" rating, but "City Of God" is simply one of the most brilliant films I have seen in a few years. From the first scene to the last, I was totally involved. The authenticity is frightening.
  53. ArnelW.
    Oct 17, 2005
    Outstanding film. It illuminates a reality very few Americans will ever see and does so in a gritty, compelling manner.
  54. Alexandra
    May 28, 2005
    This film was beautiful and had wide and important purpose. As a film student I appreciated the meticulous technicalities and flawless structure. As a photographer, I was enthralled with the OBVIOUS theme of surprisingly surviving in literal hell, through art (photography).
  55. Petra
    Sep 19, 2005
    Great movie.
  56. BrianC.
    Oct 16, 2006
    Greatest film of all time. I loved the film irreversible and didn
  57. PatC.
    Jun 30, 2006
    Totally involved story of the continuity inherent in Brazilian urban slum crime. Every character is disposable in their roles in this story, which is otherwise totally mesmerizing.
  58. JakubR
    Jul 12, 2006
    One of the best movies I have ever seen. World is without end and without reason. People within are curious and ungrasped.
  59. VJSouchet
    Aug 10, 2006
    Just a brilliant movie on every front.
  60. LeanneH.
    Jan 18, 2007
    I agree with Chris S. Dave H. you've got it all wrong. This is not a Hollywood thriller, this is a neo-realism film, a piece of brazilian national cinema which highlights Brazilian's way of life in order to obtain political change (wow! I hope I ace my exam!). You are looking at this concept so wrong, unless you understand the purpose of this film you will never see it as being I agree with Chris S. Dave H. you've got it all wrong. This is not a Hollywood thriller, this is a neo-realism film, a piece of brazilian national cinema which highlights Brazilian's way of life in order to obtain political change (wow! I hope I ace my exam!). You are looking at this concept so wrong, unless you understand the purpose of this film you will never see it as being a fantastic acheivement, which is definitely what it is! :) Expand
  61. JackB.
    Apr 1, 2008
    Great film in every way, deserves the plaudits and i would say this is a film that everyone who loves film should try and watch. An incredible real life story, told in a very powerful way that will have you gripped from start to finish. Im not a huge fan of the "gangster" film genre having been disappointed by some of the films in the area that are considered masterpieces, however I Great film in every way, deserves the plaudits and i would say this is a film that everyone who loves film should try and watch. An incredible real life story, told in a very powerful way that will have you gripped from start to finish. Im not a huge fan of the "gangster" film genre having been disappointed by some of the films in the area that are considered masterpieces, however I challenge anyone to truthfully say that this is below the level of those films. This truly deserves the title of being a Masterpiece. Expand
  62. JucaA.
    Jun 26, 2008
    Great movie from Brazil. Realistic and well done.
  63. BuzzT
    Jun 12, 2009
    Really one of the best movies I've ever seen. Underrated and by far not as noticed as it should be.
  64. LouisM
    Aug 10, 2009
    Amazing movie, easily one of the best film of this decade. As realistic as it gets. I'm out to buy it, then watch it a few more times.
  65. Mercs888
    Nov 25, 2003
    From the start of the movie, the reality of life in poverty/ghettos caught me. As I work with similar children myself it felt so real on how people get caught up and showing your steel comes to be the only logical reaction, as they hold on tightly to false power. excellent movie.
  66. BobS.
    Mar 11, 2003
    Gripping and poignant ... a modern day masterpiece.
  67. DaveW.
    Jul 11, 2003
    Brilliant, beautiful movie reminding the civilized world that any country south of the Equator (not colonized by the British, that is) will never be more than a cesspool of subhumanity.
  68. JohnY.
    Jan 29, 2004
    The best film of 2003 ... powerful beyond belief.
  69. CarolN.
    Feb 13, 2004
    I absolutely had to see this movie when it was rereleased in Minneapolis this month. I wasn't able to see it when it first came out last year. So I braved the slick roads and freezing cold... and boy, was it ever worth it. After seeing it, I read every last review I could get a hold of online, to see what others thought of this fantastic film. I went to see it again the very next I absolutely had to see this movie when it was rereleased in Minneapolis this month. I wasn't able to see it when it first came out last year. So I braved the slick roads and freezing cold... and boy, was it ever worth it. After seeing it, I read every last review I could get a hold of online, to see what others thought of this fantastic film. I went to see it again the very next day, and it was even better than the first time. City of God is, for me, more meaningful than any other movie ever could be. Why? This is my first (hopefully not my last) review of any movie I've ever watched, and I am glad that I finally found a movie to inspire me to write a review. If I could convince even one of my friends (Africans and Americans alike) to drive eighty miles to go see it, even without mentioning the fact that the movie's in Portuguese and starring mostly black youngsters, and set in a "slum" (read: ghetto), it would be a miracle to say the least. Being African myself, I sense many would be wary of my enthusiasm (what is more interesting to a poor person than poverty?---kind of thing). But if this is the only place I can find to express my thoughts about this film without feeling like I'm talking about the metaphysics of chalkdust, then...well, that'sfine with me. So here it goes. From the minute it begins, with the sharp knife blade jutting across a wetstone between fast shots of happy people preparing an outdoor picnic, and with one brave chicken seizing the opportunity to run for freedom, I am permanently transported into the City of God, which would be any little old shanty town in my home country of Kenya if it had a different name like Mathare, Kangemi, Kawangware or any of a dozen others that lie adjacent to the affluent suburban estates. In an instant I remember the frustration of trying to catch running chickens. Yes, the City of God is everywhere, yet it is its own universe, with the rhythms of Brazil pulsing through it as swiflty as the lives of its young. The very first feeling I get is that this favela ironically named City of God is overflowing with life, literally and metaphorically in all its abundant facets: joy, humor, and a palpable lack of inhibition in the youth: that is, until they start firing their guns at the chicken, and I get the feeling that something is "up" here. How is it that they can fire so stupidly at a fleeing chicken, laughing as they risk killing innocent passersby? But I get caught up in the action before the question is answered. It is only in the final scene that we realize that the boys called the "Runts" obtain the guns only moments before the hen takes off, and with nobody in their way, they will doubtlessly kill many more innocent people after killing Lil' Ze (Leandro Firmino de Hora who is simply amazing). The story which unfolds once the gang encounters Rocket (Alessandro Rodrigues) brings the opening scene into perspective. It is to great credit that the filmmaking and editing is so nuanced and uninhibited. This film is a serious contender, if ever there was one, for all the categories for which it is nominated. Every character's story is told confidently, and all the flashbacks and flash-forwards kept me on my toes. I love that in any movie. There are countless other devices that were used to make City of God the great movie that it is, and all of them worked. This movie however, is more than a stylistic portrait of the abandoned and disenfranchised poor. It is so detailed that you could never stop learning something new about film and underclass culture, as well as some insight into the role that colorism plays in it. It is also full of details: the colors, the khaki shorts, the dusty soccer fields, the sweat from the humidity, the playboy sensuality, and the brazen disregard for all that is "proper for the little people". Those who wouldn't want to live there would still envy Benny's sweet charm, even Lil' Ze's cocky grin and the friendship that he and Benny had. It explores the emotions that make every character so real, that we cannot be outsiders. In spite of ourselves, we understand Lil' Ze's sexual insecurities, we fall in love with Benny and Shaggy just as Alicia and Berenice do, and we want Rocket to survive, if only to know if he'll ever make the first move with a girl. I will echo what many have called this film: perfect. The best film of the year and I could go on and on and on and on, but I'd never say enough about this movie. I wish everyone could see it. Expand
  70. BenZ.
    Jun 27, 2004
    Wow, what an uttlerly fantastic movie. This is the best film i've seen all year without a doubt. The plot was excellent, the acting was very well-done, and there wasn't a single boring second in the film. Besides this... it is a very deep and educating study into the Brazilian culture. This movie, like Amorres Perros before it, puts modern American filmaking to shame.
  71. JGK.
    Aug 25, 2006
    Great film. Everyone should watch it.
  72. ApocalypseBrown
    Jun 12, 2007
    Nothing is perfect in film making, but this is as close as you get.Gripping, intelligent, subtle, violent, tragic, it has it all. After this film you really to reflect and sympathise with the poor of Brazil. In my top ten films of all time. And Metacritic, sack your advance scout, Chad S. His review flat out sucked!
  73. WhitneyG.
    Nov 15, 2004
    This film is a work of art. Nonprofessional actors were used to strengthen the raw emotions portrayed and captured so beautifully in this film, and the effect is stunning.
  74. waltm
    Dec 19, 2004
    This movie was good. whoever thought this movie was boring or gave it a rating of below 9 were probably using a lot of drugs at the time and have no clue about what they say. The movie was well made. i ave no idea why some people gave it a 3 or even a 2 if they were not even there to witness what happened. this movie is one of the best. Everyone should see it.
  75. Sep 6, 2011
    One of the best Films i ever watched,of course brazilian people will like it more because of the excessive bad language (who makes the film very funny) and the slangs,but everyone must see this film,an epic real story of two drug factions in a war who envolves the entire community of city of god.
  76. Jan 14, 2015
    The beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeest

1. It takes a strong stomach to sit through its two-plus hours of non-stop brutality (much of it involving very small children).
  2. Reviewed by: Richard Corliss
    The film is seductive, disturbing, enthralling -- a trip to hell that gives the passengers a great ride.
    Full of action, but no soul.