5.3

1. Apr 9, 2012
    Ok, the movie is good, have some good effects, but no is the better japan movie, some moments are boring and stupid, the characters are regular, the story is good, but this movie is really strange for me.
  2. JayH.
    Aug 10, 2008
    A strange film, I think it would be more appreciated in China than elsewhere, but it was curiously fascinating. The acting isn't too bad. Ultimately, it didn't quite work.
  3. VahndD
    Mar 5, 2008
    The movie is touching my heart the relationship between father and son is very touching.
    Mar 8, 2008
    I enjoyed this movie on several fronts. It took place in a very interesting cultural setting, and I found the class differences very interesting. This was not at all a Hollywood movie where you knew what was coming next. If you never like foreign movies, you obviously won't like this. If you sometimes like movies with a twist, watch the trailer. It gives you a good sense of the movie.
  5. E.H.
    Sep 25, 2008
    I am a fan of Stephen Chow's works. However, CJ7 was highly offensive due to the fact that the space alien "dog" was severely and continuously abused throughout it's short life! This was totally unnecessary and was not the kind of viewing that is "just for fun" viewing!
  6. ChadS.
    Mar 7, 2008
    "E.T." beget "The Last Mimzy" beget "Cheung Gong 7 hou"(American title: "C7"). It was a matter of time before this filmmaker turned his attention towards the sky. His live-action cartoon style is a natural for science fiction. The physical laws that govern time and space are ignored repeatedly in "Shaolin Soccer" and "Kung Fu Hustle". In "Cheung Gong 7 Hou", sci-fi is out of the closet. "E.T." beget "The Last Mimzy" beget "Cheung Gong 7 hou"(American title: "C7"). It was a matter of time before this filmmaker turned his attention towards the sky. His live-action cartoon style is a natural for science fiction. The physical laws that govern time and space are ignored repeatedly in "Shaolin Soccer" and "Kung Fu Hustle". In "Cheung Gong 7 Hou", sci-fi is out of the closet. Ironically, the socio-economic status of Dicky and his father(Stephen Chow) suggests an affinity for Ken Loach films. Ti works as an unskilled laborer at a construction site so Dicky can attend a fancy private school. If "Riff-Raff"(Loach's best film) had a sci-fi component, it might look something like "Cheung Gong 7 hou". The alien that Dicky(a name that operates an inside joke; like "E.T.", the male owner presumes his new friend is a boy, but where's the genitalia?) cares for has the bloated head of an ugly bird that's seemingly grafted onto an elastic body. It's sort of cute, but you're always aware that C7 is a special effect, or an expensive toy. Dicky and the alien seem more like "Calvin & Hobbes" than Elliott(Henry Thomas) and the extra-terrestrial. Because C7 never truly feels alive, Dicky gets away with behavior that would raise the ire of the Humane Society. Dicky has a surprising cruel streak. He's not entirely sympathetic. In fact, he's whiny; sometimes exasperatingly so. In other words, he's like a real kid. Dicky uses C7 to improve his life, which is why the final act packs a surprising emotional wallop. The alien loves the boy more. Dicky just wanted to be the cool kid with the cool stuff at school. He used C7 to be popular. When it's too late, he finally learns to be a true friend. "Cheung Gong 7 hou" reminds me of the tamagotchi fad from last century. C7 is more virtual pet than alien. Expand
  7. BellinoP
    Mar 7, 2008
    Mr. Chow is one of the best under rated Directors of all time. This is a great film.
  8. AdamN
    Aug 11, 2008
    Seriously underrated. If you're a fan of Stephen Chow this is an instant must-have. Just because its no Kung Fu Hustle 2 and instead a movie that may look like Flubber at first glance the critics automatically dismissed it. I'm 26 and I was laughing throughout the movie and was glued from start to finish. Flubber was a disaster, CJ7 is a brilliant film for all ages.
  9. NateH
    Sep 1, 2008
    I actually really enjoyed this movie. I can understand how many wouldn't though. It is very much geared towards the inner child as most of it is very light and full of heart. The switch to tragedy towards the end gives a bit of meaning and resonance to the whole story, a father-son pic at the very core, but some of the cliche scenes of "haha you're poor" felt a bit forced. The I actually really enjoyed this movie. I can understand how many wouldn't though. It is very much geared towards the inner child as most of it is very light and full of heart. The switch to tragedy towards the end gives a bit of meaning and resonance to the whole story, a father-son pic at the very core, but some of the cliche scenes of "haha you're poor" felt a bit forced. The whole scene in the middle was great, as the young kid has CJ7 "help" him in class. The imagination of Stephen Chow is something to marvel at. This is a completely different type of movie from Kung Fu Hustle though, so don't see this hoping for anything like that. Still a very good film. Just don't set your hopes for something it's not. Expand
  10. Mar 8, 2014
    What surprised me most is how well Xu Jiao, a young girl, portrayed her character, a young boy. The film has some good father-and-son relations, but the ultimate problem is the storyline - the pacing is not well done, and the plot itself just seems strange.

1. Reviewed by: Richard Kuipers
    "E.T."-inspired comic fantasy about a poor boy adopting a cute alien catches the eye but not fully the heart with its undernourished father-son dynamics, critter hijinks and smattering of social commentary.
  2. Reviewed by: Maggie Lee
    A hyperactive, wishful-thinking special effects fantasy suitable for family outings.
  3. Reviewed by: Glenn Kenny
    The overall feel is Hong Kong to the core…which means CJ7, like the first 25 minutes or so of "Shaolin Soccer," doesn't make many allowances to Western sensibilities.