7.0

1. Jan 21, 2014
    Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 suffers from the usual sequel problems; it is neither as smart, as funny, or as inventive as its predecessor, and its first act is incredibly mediocre; it is all style and no substance. As the film progresses, it slowly becomes a rather funny and entertaining, albeit predictable family film. The film is incredibly beautiful to look at, with brightCloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 suffers from the usual sequel problems; it is neither as smart, as funny, or as inventive as its predecessor, and its first act is incredibly mediocre; it is all style and no substance. As the film progresses, it slowly becomes a rather funny and entertaining, albeit predictable family film. The film is incredibly beautiful to look at, with bright colours and a nice 3D appearance, it will certainly please audiences. Overall, this sequel does suffer from sequel problems and has a mediocre first act, but it is made up for with beautiful animation and the film's gradual improvement. Expand
  2. Jan 24, 2014
    Decent film, slightly above average, the film is full of food puns and is very light heated yet while the first film is full of greater messages and comes off as enjoyable for all ages Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 has been crafted to entertin younger chilren which for someone of my age is very slow and boring, it doesnt have that impact that over family films such as Frozen has overDecent film, slightly above average, the film is full of food puns and is very light heated yet while the first film is full of greater messages and comes off as enjoyable for all ages Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 has been crafted to entertin younger chilren which for someone of my age is very slow and boring, it doesnt have that impact that over family films such as Frozen has over all views.

Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs 2 is a 6/10 for ages 15+ and a 8/10 for Children below the ages of 10
  3. Oct 4, 2013
    It's a "good", and funny film for the kids, but the jokes are really not that funny at all. The story went smooth through the first half of the film, but then it kind of just went down hill, from there. The first Cloudy, was funny, and had a lot of creative ideas pitch in there, however I felt like the squeal was to predicable, and the scenes just went too fast. I felt like they could'veIt's a "good", and funny film for the kids, but the jokes are really not that funny at all. The story went smooth through the first half of the film, but then it kind of just went down hill, from there. The first Cloudy, was funny, and had a lot of creative ideas pitch in there, however I felt like the squeal was to predicable, and the scenes just went too fast. I felt like they could've done better, with the music, and whatnot, but the kids well absolutely enjoy it. I'm ranking this a 6.9, or a D+ Expand
  4. Oct 25, 2013
    I understand that people find this film enjoyable. But as a followup to the first CWACOM, the sequel fails at every turn.

The story all but ignores what Flint learned previously and makes him learn it again, but with less clarity and focus. The only saving grace is that Flint and his friends were so well designed and characterized in the first film that some amount of charm has carried over. But considering these are some of the funniest and brightest animated characters of the last several years, they really missed the mark with each one of them. Additionally, the new characters stick out like sore thumbs because they were created with less care and attention that Phil Lord & Chris Miller gave their characters in the beginning.

Watch the sequel and then immediately put on the original... The former might not hold up as well anymore as you start to see just how much better the original was at telling a story and making you laugh.
  5. Sep 29, 2013
    I couldn't really think of a plot to add to the first movie and apparently neither could the writers. I absolutely loved the first movie so I was destined for disappointment. All of the story lines had been resolved and the world was safe again from food. Little did we know that Jurassic Park had been resurrected. Actually one of the best scenes recreates the first time in that originalI couldn't really think of a plot to add to the first movie and apparently neither could the writers. I absolutely loved the first movie so I was destined for disappointment. All of the story lines had been resolved and the world was safe again from food. Little did we know that Jurassic Park had been resurrected. Actually one of the best scenes recreates the first time in that original movie that we see the reanimated dinosaurs. Only this time they are animated and made of food. What a total ripoff! That is another movie series that should never have gone on. Of course in Hollywood if something works, then you need to keep doing it until you get it wrong. Flints relationships with his not really girlfriend deteriorates to the point of co-worker and the father son turns more into man and his dog. There are some fabulous scenes and humor as well but not enough meat on the bone even for our seven year old. After 20 minutes the kids were bored and the adults just wished it wouldn't degrade into potty humor. It did and that was unfortunately the only real laughs the rest of the way. The morals and lessons weren't too bad except they were just rehashed from the first movie and rather than expanded more like contracted. The funny food animals and especially their combined names were a bright spot in an overwhelmingly dull afternoon. Please do not make a number 3. We all know what happens to leftovers the second reheating. Expand
  6. Sep 28, 2013
    While it's not as bad as some might expect, it's no where close to the first movie. Overall, did they really need to make a sequel, plus this movie is more for kids than teens or adults. Be sure to check out my YouTube channel, "TheMovieManLife" for all things movies.
  7. Nov 2, 2013
    Positives: Witty and fun, this movie is full of both imagination and humor. The food puns will get you every time with their sharp and witty nature, and the story is simple enough for even the smallest of children to understand and enjoy. The CWACOM series has kept true to the style they had in the original, which is both fun and funny within every moment of the film.

Negatives:Though

Negatives:Though this movie wasn't really in need of it, depth was a lacking part. The plot line was beyond ridiculous and much of the older audience with become fed up and bored with it's fast paced nature. No connection to the characters was present, and the animation was only mediocre. All of these aspects were obviously secondary on the directors priority list.
  8. May 30, 2014
    Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 is one of those cashgrab sequels in that it was only made to make money and cash in the success of the first one and it clearly shows. The story is nothing special it is generic, cliché, rehashes the first one and rips off the plots of other animated films, and honestly feels like it was written in one draft made in one hour. I don’t care for theCloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 is one of those cashgrab sequels in that it was only made to make money and cash in the success of the first one and it clearly shows. The story is nothing special it is generic, cliché, rehashes the first one and rips off the plots of other animated films, and honestly feels like it was written in one draft made in one hour. I don’t care for the characters and any attempts at humor mostly fall flat. Even the animation isn’t that great, for reasons I cannot put my finger on the animation is painful to look at and some of the character models are painful to look at. That being said I can’t entirely bash this film as it is geared towards kid and as far as kids movies go its not awful I have seen far worse. There are films such as Planes were it was painful all the way through and I just wanted to stop watching. Then there are movies like The Wild were they makers were like **** it and then there is Foodfight, which makes me ask why. This movie will most certainly provide some joy for the kiddies but unfortunately that’s about it. Everyone else don’t feel obligated to watch this movie. Skip it and watch something better. There isn’t enough good in this movie to make it worth watching. Expand
  9. Feb 3, 2014
    A perfectly acceptable and harmless animated comedy. It will delight it's younger viewers with it's bright and colorful animation, adorable food critters, and tons of food puns. Older audiences won't be as entertained, but they can still appreciate the film for it's goofy quirks and for the fact that it will totally entrance their kids. So if you are looking for a something to watch onA perfectly acceptable and harmless animated comedy. It will delight it's younger viewers with it's bright and colorful animation, adorable food critters, and tons of food puns. Older audiences won't be as entertained, but they can still appreciate the film for it's goofy quirks and for the fact that it will totally entrance their kids. So if you are looking for a something to watch on family movie night this is a good pick. It might not be as enjoyable for adults as it is for their kids the way a lot of Pixar and DreamWorks movies are, but they won't be completely irritated by it. Expand
  10. Mar 1, 2014
    The original film was a humorous and original masterpiece. This film on the other hand falls short in that regard.
    While there is still an indisputably long list of jokes, the humour for the sequel is more childish and weak, with the exception of some classic puns. However, on a pun note, a large majority of the film’s dialogue is solely puns, with some even being repeated, not allowing any powerful story-line or morals to develop, resulting in this – a predictable (and frankly, dry) plotline from which you can know the outcome of the film within the first 20 minutes, such as with blatant foreshadowing and the villain; as soon as you see this certain character, you know he will be the villain without a doubt of hesitation, making the character very bland and uninteresting. Additionally, the story is very confusing at times, as quite often the scenes are very fast-paced with events happening too quickly for the audience to understand. It almost seemed the creators were really trying to squeeze as much in as they could, but quality is always better than quantity.
    On positive notes, the animation was certainly fluid – with one character’s animation being truly original with quirky elements that were very humorous and imaginative. The creativity of some ‘foodimals’ was remarkable, and the world itself was truly colourful. Seeing some of the returning characters was also very joyful, but I will note that some obvious cameos seemed very forced.
    In terms of the original, this film also seemed to disregard its own lore created in the original, going against a lot of the reasoning to the first film’s story and creating an entirely new reasoning, such as: why Flint wanted to become an inventor.
    Concluding, it is an enjoyable film targeted for kids, but if you were hoping for the same originality as the first film, you might want to stick with the first meal and not go back for seconds.
  11. Feb 7, 2014
    The title itself is not suitable for this sequel. I guess 'Jungle with a Vicious Foodimals' or something like that would have been fair to be called. Unlike the first part I just found this movie more kiddish. The last decade was the beginning of 3D animations, so it captivated large group of audience with awesome movies. But its time now people to understand animations too would have suchThe title itself is not suitable for this sequel. I guess 'Jungle with a Vicious Foodimals' or something like that would have been fair to be called. Unlike the first part I just found this movie more kiddish. The last decade was the beginning of 3D animations, so it captivated large group of audience with awesome movies. But its time now people to understand animations too would have such low movies like this.

Whatever you thought might be, but in my view and for my age, it did not please me like other animation features. I don't know about teenagers, but children will enjoy it for sure more than anybody else. I have not denoted the movie had flaws in the technical aspect, but the theme divides the audience as per age differece.

The dialogues were what kept me alive. Many of them were very hilarious. One of it was 'It's enough to make a grown man cry. But not this man. Get back in there, tear'. In some portion the character Chester V annoyed me, I think that is what they wanted from a villain character.

This movie itself an unnecessary follow-up so I don't want another sequel unless they initiate back the first movie concept of what title is represented. I don't understand what Lockwood and Co gonna eat if all the vegetables and foods get a life who become their friends. Forget it, it goes on and on and on...
  12. Mar 28, 2014
    The sequel for Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs fails to deliver the same kind of rush the first one did. In that respect, it rings short in its message and doesn't provide as many laughs.
  13. Dec 21, 2013
    The theme of this movie is the battle between science and nature (here embodied by living food) which leaves you thinking if the production of this film is part of Greenpeace.
      The bad: some times when trying to be funny and it leaves them (but there are others who achieved very good), some things are not clear at the end and the speed at which the characters go (be that the script was so long that he had to make the characters move much more than what one person to make it go in less than 90 minutes) moves.
      The good: that despite being an animated movie has a good plot, ending, leaving 3 messages and charisma of each character.
      Better than the first not by much.
  14. Jan 22, 2014
    I loved the first movie. It turned tired cliches into hilarity, gave Mr. T his first animated role since himself and was one heck of a lot of fun. While directors and writers Phil Lord and Chris Miller were busy on The LEGO Movie, Sony whipped up a sequel, hiring the writer of The Incredible Burt Wonderstone and the director of Open Season 2, and while the critics seem to like it quite aI loved the first movie. It turned tired cliches into hilarity, gave Mr. T his first animated role since himself and was one heck of a lot of fun. While directors and writers Phil Lord and Chris Miller were busy on The LEGO Movie, Sony whipped up a sequel, hiring the writer of The Incredible Burt Wonderstone and the director of Open Season 2, and while the critics seem to like it quite a bit, I felt that Sony Pictures Animation disappointed me yet again.

Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs 2 has potential with its inventive designs, environmentalism and sweetness, but unfortunately it is only half the wit of the first, most of its attempts at comedy being food puns that start to get boring, repeats of whatever was funny in the first or even itself, none of them succeeding, and typical Hollywood poop jokes to make sure it doesn't get a G rating, the worst thing that can ever happen to a movie!

The new voice actors lack charisma; Terry Crewes is even less Mr. T than Quinton Jackson and Kristen Schaal is far from Mabel Pines or Louise Belcher. Not to mention the theme of the plot twist has been discussed before in animation history. This is exactly the kind of movie the first one was poking fun at.

Without Lord and Miller, or even Aardman, Sony Animation seems to be style-over-substance. They have some very talented animators who provide the cartooniest CG animation since the first Madagascar, but the output should be more than eye candy. A year ago, Hotel Transylvania paid more attention to unique animation than an inspired script; the rest was a sponge bathing itself in urine. In this movie, Chicken Brent comes along with the gang just to repeat his catchphrase and fall over repeatedly because FAT PEOPLE ARE COMPLETE DOPES.

It doesn't help that Sony's big return in 2015 will consist of sequels to that and The Smurfs - as if 2013 wasn't lousy enough.
  15. Mar 26, 2014
    Of course the film is original and filled with amazing animation and vivid views, but that doesn't make up for the silly script and acting. Kids will enjoy the film, but the rest of just stand thee awkwardly which unlike the first film, didn't happen.
  16. Mar 6, 2014
    cloudy with a chance of meatballs is a whole other world it does get cool at times but i did not enjoy the sequel as i thought . the first one is much better
  17. Jun 1, 2015
    3/5★ Fantastic animation, creative world building and nonstop action aside, the film is not as clever as the prequel. I know its a kids movie, but kids movies today have to cross the high bar Pixar films have set. We have seen what is possible and wont settle for less.
    Verdict: Keeps the kids entertained
  18. Dec 21, 2014
    Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs 2 is cute and dazzling movie but suffers with it's annoying characters some of them are underdeveloped and it's plot.But It still has potential to be good movie with it's silly animations and cute foods walking around helping the gang to stop the evil corporation.The Sequel isn't really better than the first movie but it's still a fun kid's movie thatCloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs 2 is cute and dazzling movie but suffers with it's annoying characters some of them are underdeveloped and it's plot.But It still has potential to be good movie with it's silly animations and cute foods walking around helping the gang to stop the evil corporation.The Sequel isn't really better than the first movie but it's still a fun kid's movie that anyone,well not everyone can enjoy. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Brian Tallerico
    Aug 3, 2014
    "Cloudy 2" is undeniably dense with ideas, images, and characters but slight on anything of thematic interest at all.
  2. Reviewed by: Mike McCahill
    Oct 24, 2013
    Fortunately, the animators get stuck in: the foodscape Flint's party passes through is again wittily realised, each frame sprinkled with colourful hybrid creations, from "flamangos" to "shrimpanzees".
  3. Reviewed by: Kevin Harley
    Oct 24, 2013
    With a large supporting cast and rapid gag-rate, ingredients are generous. But with no real plot to bind them, the pile-up of chaotic chases, repeat-on you leek puns and noisy dust-ups gradually kills the appetite.