Clue

8.9

1. Mar 2, 2012
    Its a cult classic for a reason. Its funny and entertaining to watch, Tim Curry definently makes this movie. I have watched this film numerous times and I have yet to get sick of it.
  2. Sep 16, 2013
    Clue is a cult classic... for a reason. It's biggest feat is taking 1 dimensional board game characters and turning them into regular (or not so regular) people in 1954 who all meet at a house to find out why they've been invited. With some cheesy dialogue and improvisation by Madeleine Khan, Clue is campy, goofy fun!
  3. DinahC.
    Aug 31, 2007
    "Critics, I'd like to introduce you to this vial of crack. Crack, these are the critics. Oh, I see you've already met...." This movie is phenomenal! Truly a classic. Campy? Without a doubt, but very very funny. Some of the jokes are so low key that even after several viewings I'm still catching new ones. I've now seen a hundred video games turned into movies and very "Critics, I'd like to introduce you to this vial of crack. Crack, these are the critics. Oh, I see you've already met...." This movie is phenomenal! Truly a classic. Campy? Without a doubt, but very very funny. Some of the jokes are so low key that even after several viewings I'm still catching new ones. I've now seen a hundred video games turned into movies and very few have been as good as when this was taken from a friggin' boardgame. That alone has to say something. Expand
  4. NikJ.
    Jul 19, 2007
    Terribly underrated by the critics! This comedy is a fantastic well-thought spoof and has many subtle references to the Cold War at home. The once flat board game characters become multi-personalities that are each played well by comic geniuses. And the movie even has a Pulp Fiction/Citizen Kane element to it, as in you can watch it many times and still find something new and interesting Terribly underrated by the critics! This comedy is a fantastic well-thought spoof and has many subtle references to the Cold War at home. The once flat board game characters become multi-personalities that are each played well by comic geniuses. And the movie even has a Pulp Fiction/Citizen Kane element to it, as in you can watch it many times and still find something new and interesting about it (of course that could just be me since when I use to watch it I was a little kid, and now that I'm older I have a larger understanding of things). Sure some of the stuff doesn't make sense, but the movie even pokes fun at that too. Besides, it's a comedy, doesn't really have to make that much sense. My second favorite comedy of all-time (next to The Holy Grail). F*ck the critics! Expand
  5. Nov 27, 2011
    It does take a little to get in the film but when you do, Its down right hilarious. The cast isnt all that good but Tim Curry does a good job at carrying them through out the film and he alone makes it that much better.
  6. May 22, 2016
    I am completely baffled by this movie's critical score. Clue is an amazingly hilarious movie. The pacing at the start is a bit strange, but once all the characters get into the house, the movie goes from "dramatic" to "hilarious" and never looks back, racing along on a wonderfully silly plot.

It is pretty much the only good game adapted into a movie ever, but it is really fun. All of the characters are incredibly silly, and the overall plot is fun to follow along with.

Once you get past the first ten minutes or so, the movie becomes an excellent farce well worth your time.
  7. Aug 28, 2014
    Great campy fun! Clue is often held with cult classic status--due largely because of its overwhelming love, despite panning from critics. An ensemble of actors like none other.
  8. Aug 28, 2014
    This one is definitely quite entertaining. It is a light, fun comedy based on the board game Clue. It was really fun to see the way they worked in elements from the game into the film and it ultimately felt very fresh. It is pretty funny at times, though I did not find it funny throughout and it can definitely be a little thrilling at times, which added to the entertainment. The cast isThis one is definitely quite entertaining. It is a light, fun comedy based on the board game Clue. It was really fun to see the way they worked in elements from the game into the film and it ultimately felt very fresh. It is pretty funny at times, though I did not find it funny throughout and it can definitely be a little thrilling at times, which added to the entertainment. The cast is alright, nothing special. The set is really cool and sports a lot of stuff from the board game itself which, again, I found very cool. The elements added into the film to have things make sense worked pretty well I thought and though this one can be slow in the beginning, once things get going, it is anything but. At the end of the day, this movie is a case of entertainment over art and it does that very well. Expand
  9. Feb 26, 2013
    A film which doesn't care and is all the better for not doing so. Tim Curry's presence brings what would be a forgettable film to the cusp of superb-ness.
  10. Jul 26, 2013
    The film is totally underrated by the critics. I found the actors doing a good.
    The film is funny mostly. The humor isn't that bad, it's pretty funny.
    The plot is very interesting even in the second or the third time you watch the movie.
    It's a great film to pass the weekend or watch with friends
  11. Aug 6, 2013
    Despite what other critics may think, I found the film to be greatly set-up as far as the humour. With that being said, I will admit it could have used a little more subtlety and a little less "cardboard" from the game.
  12. Jul 21, 2014
    This movie is fun to watch when it comes on television. It's a cult classic and that's because like 'Friday' or 'Night At The Roxbury' it delivers a good sense of what it was created for, in this case, mystery with a comedic plot. I give it a 10 for the simple reason that the last time I've seen this movie was 8 years ago and I still remember it. It's a cult classic because it's so memorable.
  13. Nov 25, 2014
    The critics are too hard on this movie. This movie is a funny spoof of Clue. I thought it would be bad, and I ended up loving it. The only thing I have bad to say about it would be the ending. I mean, the ending felt really rushed, and then it generated multiple endings, which I guess was to make up for it
  14. Jan 9, 2016
    The critics are on drugs, this movie so so funny and entertaining. Sure it may not be so serious but it's extremely funny with a lot of jokes. And there is a few bad jokes in the movie, but the jokes are so lame that they become funny.
  15. Jan 4, 2016
    This is by far my favorite silly movie of all time. The critics must have had a stick in or around their nether regions during the movie. I'm unsure how anyone could find this classic lacking in humor and wit. One of the very few movies I can watch over and over again.
  16. Feb 10, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Sometimes, the critics can produce some great reviews that make us wonder if we should see this certain movie or not, but on the other hand, they can just be SO CRUEL and shoot down some movies that really doesn't need all this hate. Clue is OH SO one of them.

Clue was a movie released in 1985, distributed by Paramount Pictures, directed by Jonathan Lynn, and was based off the ever-so-popular board game by Parker Brothers.

STORY:
    The time is New England, 1954. We arrive at the main setting of the film, the Boddy Mansion. We meet some new characters that weren't originally from the game, Wadsworth the butler(Tim Curry), and Yvette(Colleen Camp). Eventually, we meet the other characters, Col. Mustard(Martin Mull), Mrs. White(Madeline Kahn), Miss Scarlet(Lesley Ann Warren), Prof. Plum(Christopher Lloyd), Mrs. Peacock(Elieen Brennan), and Mr. Green(Michael McKean). It seems as if they're invited to a simple dinner party, that is until Mr. Boddy(Lee Ving) arrives, and Wadsworth spills the beans that they're being blackmailed by Boddy. When the secret comes out, Wadsworth announces that the police are coming, and tells them that they can arrest Boddy, with the secret exposed. Until Boddy gives them weapons, and shuts off the lights. A gunshot is fired, and Mr. Boddy is dead. With other multiple murders afoot, and more secrets to be exposed, Wadsworth, Yvette, and the six guests must solve the mystery as to who did it, where, and with what before the cops come.

POSITIVES:
    1. The cast. How could you go wrong with Christopher Lloyd, Martin Mull, Madeline Kahn, and Tim Curry in a comedy altogether?! Every performance I've seen was great, sure I noticed when they go down a bit, but their performances overall was great.

2. It actually manages to excel in making a GOOD movie based on a board game. Comparing this to another board-game-movie, Battleship, Clue follows the plot of the game perfectly and takes a unique and different spin to the original, whereas in Battleship, it's spins are overused a lot, and tries to be mainstream Hollywood a lot.

3. The ending. Oh, wait, sorry...endings. Yes, in hopes of more box-office-gross, they created THREE endings and randomly shown one of them all over theaters. Unfortunately, this didn't give them a lot of money. When the home-media releases came out, instead of having one different ending on select DVDs, they decided to add all the endings, and make one of them the REAL ending. For those that want to know about the three endings, well...I'll tell you, but I'd advise you to watch the whole movie before advancing further. Ending #1 has Yvette killing Mr. Boddy and the Cook, because she was under orders of Miss Scarlet, who murdered her later, along with the Motorist, the Cop, and the Singing Telegram. Ending #2 has Mrs. Peacock commit every single murder. And Ending #3 has Plum kill Boddy, Peacock kill the Cook, Mustard kill the Motorist, White kill Yvette, Scarlet kill the Cop, and in a shocking twist, Wadsworth kills the Singing Telegram, and reveals himself to be Mr. Boddy. Mr. Green reveals himself as an FBI plant and kills Wadsworth/Mr. Boddy.

NEGATIVES:
    Honestly, I can only find one negative with the movie, and that is the plotholes with the endings. The Peacock ending is impossible, because when the gang splits up, she searches the cellar with Plum. It's virtually impossible for her to shut off the electricity, commit all the murders, and hurry back to the cellar. The Everyone ending has so many plotholes, it'll make your head spin. First off, Peacock killing the Cook. How in the world can she hurry over to the kitchen to kill the Cook, then speed back to the Study? Next, Mustard killing the Motorist. How does he know about the secret passages and use them to kill the Motorist, yet when he's with Scarlet, why is he so clueless? Unless Yvette told him about it while they were playing pattycake, it makes no sense. And finally, White killing Yvette. Again, why do these characters have this sudden power to run over to a certain location to kill this certain person, then hurry their asses back to where they were originally?! But, those are just nitpicks. It is said that plotholes don't ruin a movie.

FINAL VERDICT:
    Don't listen to the critics on this one. Clue is an excellent campy movie with memorable characters, a great setting, catchy soundtrack, and above all, a great movie based on the just-as-great board game. "Okay Chief, take 'em away. I'm gonna go home and sleep with my wife." ~Mr. Green

Lots of sight gags and one-liners are attempted, but few of them succeed. The cast is talented but stranded in weak material.
    Clue is campy, high-styled escapism. In a short 87 minutes that just zip by, the well-known board game's one-dimensional card figures like Professor Plum and others become multi-dimensional personalities with enough wit, neuroses and motives to intrigue even the most adept whodunnit solver.
  3. there is so little genuine wit to be found in ''Clue.'' The film does have a speedy pace, but that could hardly be confused with Mr. Hawks's madcap humor; instead, it involves a lot of running around through secret passages, and some slapstick routines involving dead bodies. The actors are meant to function as an ensemble, but that merely means that they often repeat the same line simultaneously.