Oscilloscope Pictures | Release Date: June 20, 2014
Universal acclaim based on 101 Ratings
WATCH NOW
tvnewsguidoAug 10, 2014
Schrödinger's Cat: The Movie

Zero FX Magic Coherence is a rare treat in a world with so much bad sci-fi in theatres and on television (the current syfy line-up comes to mind). It's really good, complex, sci-fi that never bogs down in
Schrödinger's Cat: The Movie

Zero FX Magic

It's really good, complex, sci-fi that never bogs down in explication. It also doesn't rely on special effects to sell its central concept.

The cast is believable and the narrative weaves its way deftly through the characters, very average, lives.

Buy It at Amazon now - thank me later.
NathonasFeb 28, 2015
This is a legitimately good, intelligent sci-fi film. it doesn't try be "pretend sc-fi" by using cgi, futuristic technology, and other gimmicks. Instead, it takes a very unique idea grounded in some science and revolves the whole film aroundThis is a legitimately good, intelligent sci-fi film. it doesn't try be "pretend sc-fi" by using cgi, futuristic technology, and other gimmicks. Instead, it takes a very unique idea grounded in some science and revolves the whole film around it.

Despite having low production values and relatively unknown actors, the film has very good writing and acting. The chemistry between the actors was very good, and their dialogue was some of the best and most believable I've seen on film. I never felt bored watching this film, despite most of it taking place in a house and showing people talking. This is the real testament to quality writing.

This film will surprise you, and engage your mind in trying to understand what exactly is happening. My only real complaint, and the reason I couldn't give this a 9 or a 10, is because at the end the protagonist acts contrary to her character.
HaithamBAug 7, 2014
Coherence is a mind bending thriller that is half part a complex alien movie, and on the other half it is about dysfunctional relationships. Throughout you have the doubt of if it is really happening or not, which raises your pulse and adaptsCoherence is a mind bending thriller that is half part a complex alien movie, and on the other half it is about dysfunctional relationships. Throughout you have the doubt of if it is really happening or not, which raises your pulse and adapts tons of tension. Expand
lamesjeesOct 8, 2014
This was an unexpected surprise, as I knew absolutely nothing about it going in. It was recommended to me by a friend who's also a big horror fan and I'm glad I listened to him! So much was done here with such a small budget. I watched itThis was an unexpected surprise, as I knew absolutely nothing about it going in. It was recommended to me by a friend who's also a big horror fan and I'm glad I listened to him! So much was done here with such a small budget. I watched it with two others and we were all silent and gripped throughout, yet couldn't stop talking about it afterwards.

To even say that it's a sci-fi movie is somewhat a spoiler, but unavoidable. It's best to go in knowing as little as possible. One of the most enjoyable and refreshing sci-fi movies I've seen in some time and one that managed to build up quite the sense of dread towards the end. It'll have you trying to guess what's going to happen next, all while doubting everything that you've seen on screen.

An under-rated little gem of a film.
Lambo442Jan 27, 2015
Coherence is a solid sci-fi horror which explores some interesting concepts around Quantum theory and causality. It's unashamedly intellectual so won't appeal to everyone and I also feel that the ideas could have been fleshed out a littleCoherence is a solid sci-fi horror which explores some interesting concepts around Quantum theory and causality. It's unashamedly intellectual so won't appeal to everyone and I also feel that the ideas could have been fleshed out a little more for a greater impact. If the film had been half an hour longer it would have been perfect for me. The ending is brilliant though, one of the best I've seen in ages and the concept behind it both fantastic and disturbing. Expand
jetSetWillyOct 13, 2015
This movie deserves it high score. Its a smart movie that keeps catching you off guard with unpredictable twists. You have no idea at all through out the entire movie how its going to end. It contains a certain magical charm that makes theThis movie deserves it high score. Its a smart movie that keeps catching you off guard with unpredictable twists. You have no idea at all through out the entire movie how its going to end. It contains a certain magical charm that makes the movie as a whole hard to compare to any other. A great movie, smart, well thought through. I give it a 10 purely for its entertainment value. Expand
NikolayGAug 1, 2015
A small masterpiece that would have made Rod Serling proud. True science fiction, dealing with scientific conceits, not ray guns and tentacled monsters, that plays with your mind like the very best Twilight Zone ever had to offer. CertainlyA small masterpiece that would have made Rod Serling proud. True science fiction, dealing with scientific conceits, not ray guns and tentacled monsters, that plays with your mind like the very best Twilight Zone ever had to offer. Certainly one of the most enjoyable films I have seen in recent years. I watched it three times in three days, each time catching a few more significant details. Expand
brieflyDec 15, 2014
If you liked Primer and/or Another Earth, this is a movie for you. Smart, clever and ambiguous, Coherence belongs in that new genre of peaceful but somewhat terrifying end of the world pictures.
adamjonesAug 10, 2014
Reminds me a lot of "Primer", but a little more accessible. Very fun and Twilight Zone-esque.

BrianMcCriticJan 17, 2015
A well made film that turns out to be incoherent. No question this film is interesting and will have you thinking, but about two-thirds of the way through I started not caring as much. A good idea with mediocre results. B-
RobertBroganSep 28, 2015
Coherence is a chaotic and highly spontaneous dinner party mystery. The acting is artificial, which may work for you (or not) as part of the unnerving vibe. The characters' actions are puzzling and the plot is erratic. Coherence is definitelyCoherence is a chaotic and highly spontaneous dinner party mystery. The acting is artificial, which may work for you (or not) as part of the unnerving vibe. The characters' actions are puzzling and the plot is erratic. Coherence is definitely a film that will keep you guessing. Recommended to lovers of improv and indie films such as Primer and the Blair Witch Project. Expand
MudgetSep 29, 2014
One of the best sci-fi movies I've seen in a while. Some slick storytelling magic that keeps everything just enough out-of-whack to instill a sense of dread. A very dialogue-driven movie, and the dialogue is believable. Has a loose, quickOne of the best sci-fi movies I've seen in a while. Some slick storytelling magic that keeps everything just enough out-of-whack to instill a sense of dread. A very dialogue-driven movie, and the dialogue is believable. Has a loose, quick vibe - the actors are all able and for the most part believable, and it seems they were left a little improvisational wriggle-room to make the scenes that much more realistic. The premise is ridiculous and Twilight Zone-worthy, but the way it plays out makes you feel like it's really happening. Comet overhead causes odd things to occur and I'll leave it at that - the story best plays out when you have no expectations of what's to come. As others have said, the fact that this movie gets the blood pumping and tensions rising with no special effects or over-the-top gore, no A-list actors or sweeping cinematography (the camera work is great, though) - is a testament to the power of good storytelling. Expand
SpangleSep 17, 2016
I...what. Coherence is a mindbending science fiction film that will toss your brain for loops as more and more absurd things keep occuring and are to be expected. When things keep progressing and getting worse, it becomes even more andI...what. Coherence is a mindbending science fiction film that will toss your brain for loops as more and more absurd things keep occuring and are to be expected. When things keep progressing and getting worse, it becomes even more and mindbending and now my brain hurts. Coherence turned my mind into mush. Yet, it is oddly coherent and makes sense. Even if it is beyond explanation, it never leaves the grasp of director James Ward Byrkit. Instead, it is an audacious directorial debut for Byrkit that should hopefully propel him to handling bigger and, ideally, even more original films.

Incredibly original, it is hard to think of a comparison for Coherence. Some have cited the influence of The Twilight Zone and from what I have heard about that show, it probably makes sense. However, in terms of film, Coherence largely stands alone. Showing the events of a dinner party during the passing of a comet, Coherence is a film that really messes with your mind from beginning to end and forces you to keep up with it. Fortunately, Byrkit avoids any unnecessary exposition, which really helps to add to the atmosphere. This confused and lost party and their fear is matched by the audience as we try to piece things along with them. Byrkit could have lost their confusion if he kept stopping to explain everything. Instead, he pushes the pedal to the metal and plunges forward.

Featuring a largely unknown cast, Coherence is not necessarily a film about its characters. That said, the acting across the board is solid. Plus, the writing of the characters is solid. Nothing extraordinary, nor are they incredibly deep, but their pasts and their stories are important as the film progresses. For them, it is the key to knowing where and who they are.

More than anything, Coherence shows serious ambition. For this to be Byrkit's debut is an absolute wonder. It is not perfect by any means and probably gets too caught up in philosophy and quantum physics to be truly accessible or perfect. That said, a more experienced director would have problems keeping this one under wraps and having it somehow stay coherent. Instead, many would let the film got bogged down within itself and make no sense in the end. For Byrkit, however, things remain oddly linear. Who we are watching is unbeknownst to us, yet everything is the same and the viewer is able to follow the plot without nary a hitch. As Byrkit adds more and more layers to this film, things remain within our grasp and the film never feels like it is too much. It never feels silly. Instead, this air of paranoia and confusion runs rampant and truly arrests the viewer.

Showcasing serious potential for James Ward Byrkit in the director's chair, this mindbending film is a terrifying, atmospheric, somehow coherent, and truly original science fiction film. It is a rarity nowadays to say that, but it is the absolute truth. In creating this original film, Byrkit was incredibly ambitious and trusting of his audience to follow him wherever he opted to go. The end result is a truly engrossing experience that - for lovers of science fiction - will pay off in spades.
scott_pilgrim12Dec 6, 2016
One of the most cerebral movies to come out this decade, this sci-fi movie is built on amazing performances and mind-bending scientific applications. A must-watch for anyone with a passing interest in theoretical physics or good science fiction.
BogKidFeb 6, 2015
This is a complex moving investigating a complex, nearly indecipherable idea of space, time, and coherence. Don't want to say anything more without giving something away. I would, however, immediately distribute light sticks to all of theThis is a complex moving investigating a complex, nearly indecipherable idea of space, time, and coherence. Don't want to say anything more without giving something away. I would, however, immediately distribute light sticks to all of the members of my family -- all of the same color. Expand
royphishoohJan 27, 2015
A great idea for a sci-fi movie; the ensemble cast does well in all the confusion. Entertaining and with a good ending. Give this a try, you will enjoy it.
leelustigJan 13, 2017
This is like if Resolution (2012) got a sequel. Clocking in at a cool 89 minutes and made with $50,000, this film ends up packing more of a punch than most modern Sci-fi blockbusters. Starring all people I have never heard of, theThis is like if Resolution (2012) got a sequel. Clocking in at a cool 89 minutes and made with $50,000, this film ends up packing more of a punch than most modern Sci-fi blockbusters. Starring all people I have never heard of, the performances are all top notch and very authentic. If you hate films that take place predominantly in 1 room with most of the duration devoted to characters talking to each other, you might be bored by this one. But if you actually have an attention span and are looking for a truly freaky mind trip that isn't desperate to impress with loads of unnecessary CGI, Coherence is definitely worth a watch. Expand