8.0

1. Aug 7, 2014
    Coherence is a mind bending thriller that is half part a complex alien movie, and on the other half it is about dysfunctional relationships. Throughout you have the doubt of if it is really happening or not, which raises your pulse and adapts tons of tension.
  2. Aug 10, 2014
    Schrödinger's Cat: The Movie

Zero FX Magic Coherence is a rare treat in a world with so much bad sci-fi in theatres and on television (the current syfy line-up comes to mind). It's really good, complex, sci-fi that never bogs down in explication. It also doesn't rely on special effects to sell its central concept. The cast is believable and the narrative weaves its way deftly
    Schrödinger's Cat: The Movie

Zero FX Magic

The cast is believable and the narrative weaves its way deftly through the characters, very average, lives.

Buy It at Amazon now - thank me later.
  3. Jan 27, 2015
    Coherence is a solid sci-fi horror which explores some interesting concepts around Quantum theory and causality. It's unashamedly intellectual so won't appeal to everyone and I also feel that the ideas could have been fleshed out a little more for a greater impact. If the film had been half an hour longer it would have been perfect for me. The ending is brilliant though, one of the bestCoherence is a solid sci-fi horror which explores some interesting concepts around Quantum theory and causality. It's unashamedly intellectual so won't appeal to everyone and I also feel that the ideas could have been fleshed out a little more for a greater impact. If the film had been half an hour longer it would have been perfect for me. The ending is brilliant though, one of the best I've seen in ages and the concept behind it both fantastic and disturbing. Expand
  4. Dec 15, 2014
    If you liked Primer and/or Another Earth, this is a movie for you. Smart, clever and ambiguous, Coherence belongs in that new genre of peaceful but somewhat terrifying end of the world pictures.
  5. Jan 17, 2015
    A well made film that turns out to be incoherent. No question this film is interesting and will have you thinking, but about two-thirds of the way through I started not caring as much. A good idea with mediocre results. B-
  6. Aug 10, 2014
    Reminds me a lot of "Primer", but a little more accessible. Very fun and Twilight Zone-esque.

7. Sep 29, 2014
    One of the best sci-fi movies I've seen in a while. Some slick storytelling magic that keeps everything just enough out-of-whack to instill a sense of dread. A very dialogue-driven movie, and the dialogue is believable. Has a loose, quick vibe - the actors are all able and for the most part believable, and it seems they were left a little improvisational wriggle-room to make the scenesOne of the best sci-fi movies I've seen in a while. Some slick storytelling magic that keeps everything just enough out-of-whack to instill a sense of dread. A very dialogue-driven movie, and the dialogue is believable. Has a loose, quick vibe - the actors are all able and for the most part believable, and it seems they were left a little improvisational wriggle-room to make the scenes that much more realistic. The premise is ridiculous and Twilight Zone-worthy, but the way it plays out makes you feel like it's really happening. Comet overhead causes odd things to occur and I'll leave it at that - the story best plays out when you have no expectations of what's to come. As others have said, the fact that this movie gets the blood pumping and tensions rising with no special effects or over-the-top gore, no A-list actors or sweeping cinematography (the camera work is great, though) - is a testament to the power of good storytelling. Expand
  8. Feb 28, 2015
    This is a legitimately good, intelligent sci-fi film. it doesn't try be "pretend sc-fi" by using cgi, futuristic technology, and other gimmicks. Instead, it takes a very unique idea grounded in some science and revolves the whole film around it.

Despite having low production values and relatively unknown actors, the film has very good writing and acting. The chemistry between the actors was very good, and their dialogue was some of the best and most believable I've seen on film. I never felt bored watching this film, despite most of it taking place in a house and showing people talking. This is the real testament to quality writing.

This film will surprise you, and engage your mind in trying to understand what exactly is happening. My only real complaint, and the reason I couldn't give this a 9 or a 10, is because at the end the protagonist acts contrary to her character.
  9. Feb 6, 2015
    This is a complex moving investigating a complex, nearly indecipherable idea of space, time, and coherence. Don't want to say anything more without giving something away. I would, however, immediately distribute light sticks to all of the members of my family -- all of the same color.
  10. Oct 8, 2014
    This was an unexpected surprise, as I knew absolutely nothing about it going in. It was recommended to me by a friend who's also a big horror fan and I'm glad I listened to him! So much was done here with such a small budget. I watched it with two others and we were all silent and gripped throughout, yet couldn't stop talking about it afterwards.

To even say that it's a sci-fi movie is

To even say that it's a sci-fi movie is somewhat a spoiler, but unavoidable. It's best to go in knowing as little as possible. One of the most enjoyable and refreshing sci-fi movies I've seen in some time and one that managed to build up quite the sense of dread towards the end. It'll have you trying to guess what's going to happen next, all while doubting everything that you've seen on screen.

An under-rated little gem of a film.
  11. Jan 27, 2015
    A great idea for a sci-fi movie; the ensemble cast does well in all the confusion. Entertaining and with a good ending. Give this a try, you will enjoy it.

1. Reviewed by: Patrick Gamble
    Feb 18, 2015
    Coherence is a debut of tremendous ambition and potential, yet sadly, despite some genuine moments of tension, the film ironically makes too many wrong turns and its convoluted themes fail to coalesce on a human level, tempering the initial intrigue and culminating in a plaintive sense of admiration, rather than enraptured adulation.
  2. Reviewed by: Mike McCahill
    Feb 18, 2015
    Its success may depend on how alert you’re feeling, but for once you can’t complain that a movie hasn’t given your synapses a thorough workout.
  3. Reviewed by: Jamie Graham
    Feb 12, 2015
    A low-budget, highconcept WTF thriller that might have been conceived by Rod Serling in the heyday of his Twilight Zone series. Spread the word.