Samuel Goldwyn Company, The | Release Date: August 7, 2009
5.7
Mixed or average reviews based on 29 Ratings
WATCH NOW
DaveD.Aug 23, 2009
Good comedy with solid acting and a series of creative plot twists. Highly recommend.
DeniseTAug 11, 2009
A movie about soul that is without dept or much emotional honesty. It is clearly derivative of Kaufman film but without the wit and simultaneous delve into what it means to be human. Cold Souls in not funny though it tries to be clever. A movie about soul that is without dept or much emotional honesty. It is clearly derivative of Kaufman film but without the wit and simultaneous delve into what it means to be human. Cold Souls in not funny though it tries to be clever. It's one overly long gimmick that never becomes anything greater than that. All rather soulless." Expand
pats123Aug 16, 2009
Best movie I've seen all year. And I've seen tons... Strong performances, smart, very funny.
EnzoP.Aug 30, 2009
Cold Souls is well directed and acted. When I say well acted I mean Paul Giamatti. What a film for him this is not an easy movie to act in especially in his role. I'm not sure who else could of acted in this film as good as Mr. Cold Souls is well directed and acted. When I say well acted I mean Paul Giamatti. What a film for him this is not an easy movie to act in especially in his role. I'm not sure who else could of acted in this film as good as Mr. Giamatti. It was entertaining throughout the film but the one thing that really annoyed me was the ending. It made you want this film to be longer but at the same time you get bored of the soul tracking scenes and just stand up and stretch. Something else I need to add into my review is did Paul Giamatti deliver a oscar worthy performance. I've been asking that question to myself and now it's all up to other movies and how good they act. But if I had to pick one right now. I would probably say his performance is oscar worthy probably not win but nominated. So if your wondering what about the people around Paul did they act good? The answer to that question is yes mostly because the rest of the roles were easy to act in, and acting as a guy who is having soul problems(aka Paul Giamatti) is not easy to act in. Expand
MichaelD.Aug 8, 2009
Seriously overrated and derivative movie. Low-brow Charlie Kaufman. One joke used over and over without subtlety or wit. Overacted by Giamatti.
ArnoldPAug 9, 2009
Intelligent, funny, wildly original piece of entertainment anchored by a rip roaring masterful performance Paul Giamatti.
JohnnyDrakeSep 20, 2009
This is normally my kind of movie, but i found Cold Souls to be neither funny nor intriguing. Basically a rehash of the expected other flicks without the inventiveness or surprises. I found myself thinking the next lines a second before theyThis is normally my kind of movie, but i found Cold Souls to be neither funny nor intriguing. Basically a rehash of the expected other flicks without the inventiveness or surprises. I found myself thinking the next lines a second before they were spoken pretty consistently throughout the film. Good acting, though. Expand
VicVicSep 26, 2009
Whoa... weird, boring, slow...I am shocked by everyone's comments. I really liked him in American Splendor and thought this would be good considering the caliber of other actors. I thought about walking out, my wife was playing games onWhoa... weird, boring, slow...I am shocked by everyone's comments. I really liked him in American Splendor and thought this would be good considering the caliber of other actors. I thought about walking out, my wife was playing games on her iPhone and I was so jealous. Horrible... perhaps the top 5 worst movies I have ever seen. 'Bug' with Ashley Judd was worse. Not funny, a colossal waste of time and money. Our theater was a National Historic Bldg, so our $18 was a 'donation'. Expand
AlissaAAug 16, 2009
Beautiful movie! Paul Giamatti is totally amazing. It's funny and sad at the same time. And very soulful.
MarcDoyleAug 11, 2010
The critics missed this one in a big way. Not funny, not quirky, and flat-out boring. I love Paul G., but he's wasted in this film. Looks like "Being John Malkovich", but Cold Souls doesn't hold a candle to that masterpiece.
RyanGeeSep 28, 2010
Charles Kaufman's Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind is perhaps one of the most cerebral and innovative films of the last decade, winning best screenplay back in 2005. It is no wonder that this film has influenced other works in cinema.Charles Kaufman's Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind is perhaps one of the most cerebral and innovative films of the last decade, winning best screenplay back in 2005. It is no wonder that this film has influenced other works in cinema. However, although most movies are not too original, Sophie Barthes's debut film resembles Kaufman's work way too closely to Eternal Sunshine and Being John Malcovich, which was also crafted by Kaufman.

In this Dark Indie-Comedrama, Paul Giamatti plays Paul Giamatti (Being John Malcovich anyone?), and is in midst of practicing for the play Uncle Vanya. Giamatti embraces the depressed character of the play so much, that he himself finds himself with a dark shadow over his head. To rid of his depression, he goes to a specialized company to extract his soul (replace "soul" with "memories" and you have Eternal Sunshine). After negative side effects of being apathetic and being unable to act, Giamatti finds his soul stolen and misplaced. He then searches for his soul with a Russian mule (Dina Korzun) who stole his soul in the first place.

Cold Souls in all actuality is a good film, the premise is actually quite intriguing with its traces of science fiction and comedy. In addition to Giamatti's usual phenomenal acting, as he portrays multiple states having different souls. But its similarity to Kaufman's is way too close. It's basically watching the same film that Jim Carrey and Kate Winslet already made into a classic. So overall, Cold Souls is a good movie, but there's a better version that has already been made.
CooterPatooterMar 28, 2012
A very strange and clever comedy starring Paul Giamatti as a semi-biographical version of himself. The soul-swapping premise is perfect for a 90 minute run time... unfortunately this runs at least 10 minutes longer than that. Subsequently,A very strange and clever comedy starring Paul Giamatti as a semi-biographical version of himself. The soul-swapping premise is perfect for a 90 minute run time... unfortunately this runs at least 10 minutes longer than that. Subsequently, it gets a little draggy and derivative at times but the overall film is quite good. Another fine Giamatti performance to add to the long list of fine Giamatti performances! Expand
Xborn74Mar 1, 2012
A surreal comedy, with dak humor, about a actor (Paul) who is having trouble with acting (because he can't separate himself from the character he interprets), and see a advertising of a service who retrieve the soul from the body (and thusA surreal comedy, with dak humor, about a actor (Paul) who is having trouble with acting (because he can't separate himself from the character he interprets), and see a advertising of a service who retrieve the soul from the body (and thus you don't feel emotions), and storage them - they can borrow you a soul too. The same company also works with a Soul Black Market in Russia, with a mule scheme (and in this points enter Nina the other protagonist), from this point the story of the movie unrolls... it's a well acted movie, with a unusual and interesting theme. My score: 6,7 / 10,0. Expand
BroyaxJan 14, 2017
Un sujet fascinant que l'étude de l'âme qui aurait au moins mérité qu'on le définisse clairement avant de commencer d'envisager d'en faire un film, un film qui ne sait pas sur quel pied danser, celui de la comédie ou celui du drame ?

On

On suppose donc que -selon le film du moins- l'âme n'est donc qu'un morceau de personnalité qu'on peut enlever et remettre plus ou moins facilement -la technologie est là pour ça- et avec un minimum d'introspection et de perturbations : le tarif syndical en gros ! à moins que ce ne soit le tarif sécu, ce qui ne donne pas lourd non plus.

Certes, on voit tout de même quelque désagrément éventuel : où est passée mon âme, s'interroge Paul Giamatti, alors qu'il semble très bien se porter ou en tout cas pas pire qu'avant...! Allons, allons, Paul, âme ou pas, tout ça, c'est psychosomatique... et qu'importe si vous avez échangé votre âme avec une autre. D'ailleurs, où est passé le diable au fait ? il est reparti si vite qu'on ne l'a pas vu, écoeuré par ce trafic d'âmes sans foi ni loi !

Un sujet vaste qui aurait donc mérité un bien meilleur traitement et un autre angle d'attaque, plus rigoureux. Ce qu'Ames en stock fait tant bien que mal et vice-versa, c'est péter dans un verre à moitié vide et compter les bulles.