6.5

1. Oct 21, 2012
    I think alot of people are having difficulty realizing that this movie is based on actual events. Alot of people say that the characters are too stupid and the story is too ridiculous, and it might be but the movies accurately represent the events that it is based on (no matter how far fetched they might be). So you just need to accept that and then you will realize that this is a really well made movie. The whole movie has a really organic feel to it, the dialogue is genuine dialogue that you would hear in real life. The acting is really subtle, there is no over acting or stupid characters. I have to mention Ann Dowd who give a great performance and Dreama Walker for actually taking on this role. And the direction is amazing, there is a tense feeling throughout the movie and the long shots give a dream like feeling to the movie. The only thing I didn't like was that the ending which was kind of rushed, if not for that it would have been a perfect movie (for what it is). 9.6/10. Expand
  2. Jan 25, 2013
    Before you immediately write the characters off as "stupid" and view them as faceless teenagers mirroring those in a horror movie, where every decision is questionable, what would you do? Would you have been smarter? Would you not have been distracted by the abundance of customers waiting in line and the short of employees behind the counter? Oh, how easy it would've been to just comply with authority and not risk jeopardizing your business's reputation or employees. Sandra clearly just wants to obey authority and get things sorted out as quickly and as painlessly as possible. Before criticizing her, I can not say that I blame her or I would've done any differently. Expand
  3. Nov 9, 2013
    Violent in the worst way, dirty, shameful, heavy, even than never, do not expose anything. And what makes 'Compliance' a masterpiece is that all is grasped, digested and used in some way.

1. Reviewed by: Rene Rodriguez
    Sep 21, 2012
    The movie even fails on a psychological level, never illustrating how, in a pressure-cooker environment and swept up by mob-think mentality, we are capable of committing acts that innately repel us.
  2. Reviewed by: Shawn Levy
    Sep 20, 2012
    Zobel isn't a sadist about all of this as, say, Roman Polanski or David Lynch or Todd Solondz might have been. There's a humanity here, even for the restaurant manager. But that still doesn't make Compliance easy to ingest.
  3. Reviewed by: Bill Goodykoontz
    Sep 6, 2012
    It makes you think. And that's invaluable.